PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Nations 06: Game Four; Kangaroos vs Lions

Queenslander
30-10-06, 10:23 AM
Tri-Nations 2006: Game Four

http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/kangaroos.gif AUSTRALIA KANGAROOS vs http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/grtbritan.gif GREAT BRITAIN LIONS
Saturday 4th November, 8:00 PM; Aussie Stadium

Referee: TBA

Team Notes:

Kangaroos

Tri-Nations 06 Stats: Wins: 2 Losses: 0; Points For: 50 Points Against: 33

Last Tri-Nations Result: defeated Kiwis 20-15

Jamie Lyon will end a three-year exile after being named among five changes to the starting Australian team for Saturday's Tri-Nations rugby league Test against Great Britain.

Lyon takes over in the centres from Justin Hodges, utility back Ben Hornby replaces a resting Johnathan Thurston at halfback and Brent Tate takes over from Matt King on a wing.

In the forwards, barnstorming second rower Willie Mason returns after sitting out game two against the Kiwis in Melbourne on October 21 because of concussion and Shaun Berrigan swaps his bench spot to replace Cameron Smith at hooker.

Antonio Kaufusi has been ruled out of the Australian team for Saturday night's Tri-Nations rugby league Test against Great Britain with a minor hamstring strain. He has been replaced by Sam Thaiday.

Lions

Tri-Nations 06 Stats: Wins: 0 Losses: 1; Points For: 14 Points Against: 18

Last Tri-Nations Result: lost 18-14 to the kiwis

Great Britain five eighth Danny McGuire has been ruled out of tomorrow night's Tri-Nations Test with Australia after failing to recover from a thigh injury.

He will be replaced at pivot by Leon Pryce, who comes in off the wing, with Gareth Raynor moving from the bench to to take Pryce's position out wide.

http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/kangaroos.gif KANGAROOS

Karmichael Hunt
Brent Tate
Mark Gasnier
Jamie Lyon
Greg Inglis
Darren Lockyer (capt)
Ben Hornby
Mark O'Meley
Shaun Berrigan
Petero Civoniceva
Willie Mason
Nathan Hindmarsh
Luke O'Donnell
Interchange:

Cameron Smith
Anthony Tupou
Brent Kite
Sam Thaiday (For Antonio Kaufusi)

http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/grtbritan.gifLIONS

1. Paul Wellens
2. Brian Carney
3. Keith Senior
4. Kirk Yeaman
5. Gareth Raynor
6. Leon Pryce (For Danny McGuire)
7. Sean Long
8. Stuart Fielden
9. Terry Newton
10. Jamie Pea**** (c)
11. Gareth Ellis
12. Gareth Hock
13. Sean O'Loughlin
Interchange:

14. James Roby
15. Adrian Morley
16. Lee Gilmour
17. Jon Wilkin

***Please use this thread for Tri Nations Game Four information and game day spoilers***

Queenslander
30-10-06, 10:26 AM
Morley free to play Australia
Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 8:29 AM

British enforcer Adrian Morley is free to play Australia in Saturday's Tri-Nations clash in Sydney.

The former Rooster has been cleared of two incidents of alleged foul play in a fiery rugby league Test against New Zealand on Saturday night in Christchurch.

Morley had been placed on report for a jolting hit on Kiwi skipper Ruben Wiki and New Zealand management also laid a complaint after he later punched Brent Webb in the head in the match won by New Zealand 18-14.

Morley was found to have no case to answer after a three-member panel reviewed video footage of the incidents.

Source: AAP

Thurston on outer

Johnathan Thurston looks set to be dumped from the Test halfback position and be replaced by Ben Hornby for the Kangaroos' Tri-Nations clash against Great Britain in Sydney on Saturday night.

Australia was lucky in coming from behind to defeat New Zealand 20-15 in its Tri-Nations match last week, where the Kangaroo's backline lacked continuity.

Coach Ricky Stuart said his first priority ahead of the clash against Great Britain was to fix Australia's attack, and replacing Thurston with Hornby is the first step in that direction.

"I'm going to give Ben an opportunity to play at halfback," Stuart told The Sunday Mail.

"It comes through his attitude in training. It's an opportunity for Ben to display why he was selected in the Australian team."

"He's a terrific guy who displays a lot of attention to detail in his preparation and the way he applied himself to the Junior Kangaroos last week was a credit to himself."

Thurston was one of Australia's best in the 30-18 win over the Kiwis to open the tournament a fortnight ago, but the 23-year-old struggled along with many of his team-mates in the second Tri-Nations match.

"You don't want to give up but if the coach wants that to happen then it's going to happen," Thurston said.

"I want to keep the No.7 jersey as long as I can but if I have to give it up for Benny (Hornby) then I will."

"It's up to the coach to decide but I still want to play."

Injured Prop Willie Mason looks set to resume against Great Britain after missing last weeks clash against the Kiwis due to concussion.

Centre Matt King has a corked thigh, and Mark O'Meley has a knee problem but both players look set to be fit for the match.

Source: Sportal

Grimmace
30-10-06, 10:54 AM
New Roo targets final place

October 30, 2006 NEW Australia halfback Ben Hornby said this morning he is keen to make the most of his starting berth in Saturday's Tri-Nations Test with Great Britain at Aussie Stadium.

The St George Illawarra utility will replace Johnathan Thurston in the No.7 this weekend with the Cowboys halfback being rested.

Hornby admits the game is his chance to stake a claim for the Kangaroos halfback spot, and push for selection in the starting side for next month's Tri-Nations final.

"If I go out there and play well it's going to make it a bit harder (to choose the halfback)," said Hornby.

"It's a huge honour, it's something I'm very proud to be able to do. Hopefully I can go out there and equip (sic) myself well.

"I was a little bit surprised, I thought at the start of the series I'd get a game somewhere ... I've got my chance now and I want to go out there play well."

AAP

Victor
30-10-06, 01:38 PM
i wonder what position jamie lyon will be in

Grimmace
30-10-06, 01:42 PM
i wonder what position jamie lyon will be in
As a professional spectator on the sidelines :lol!:
I think he is going to play centre but then again there are rumors lockyer might be rested aswell.

Queenslander
30-10-06, 03:12 PM
Kangaroos Vs Lions Preview
Monday, October 30, 2006 - 3:01 PM

The Kangaroos will take on the touring Lions in game 4 of the Tri-Nations on Saturday night, and if they are to have any chance in that game then the tourists would need to improve markedly on what they showed the Rugby league world against the Kiwis in Christchurch.

Great Britain produced a scrappy display for the most part of the match and despite enjoying some good field position they consistently broke down inside the Kiwis defensive 20m, a problem that will need to be rectified if they are to trouble the Kangaroos on Satturday night.

Furthermore the Lions looked as if they were trying to use many elaborate attacking plays using decoy runners over and over again, but the ploy seemed to backfire leaving their attack looking messy; and if they are to match the Aussies it certainly will not be out wide, but up the middle where their tough and mobile forward pack led by Morley, Pea**** and Fielden can look to play at their aggressive best.

After their substandard loss last week you can expect some early fire from the British team, and it would not shock anyone to once again see Adrian Morley in the thick of the early action, and despite landing himself in trouble with the referee and New Zealand coach Brian McClennan for his ?cat slap? on Brent Webb, you can bet that he will not be deterred from playing his normal hard game.

The British are here to play and they will not be happy having to make excuses again so the Kangaroos should be expecting a much more fluent showing from the old enemy, and while they will still look to go wide in attack, their ball security will become a key factor in this game, and they will not chance the risky offload as much as they did against the Kiwis.

The Australian team will look to once again play an aggressive style of game with the forwards laying the platform, and the halves in Lockyer and Hornby looking to spread the ball wide at the end of the set, giving the likes of Inglis and Hunt the chance to dazzle the Lions with their lightning pace and brilliant footwork.

The battle up front will be the key, and with the Bulldogs represented with both Willie Mason and Mark O?Meley, you can expect fireworks when they clash with Adrian Morley, especially seen the last time they clashed Morley was sent off by Jarred Maxwell for kneeing their teammate Corey Hughes.

Key Match Ups

Willie Mason Vs Adrian Morley

Two of the hardest men in the game will square up and there should be plenty of early aggression between them. Both Muz and Big Willie like to play it tough and love to leave their opponents lying in their wake. They are both equally proud of their nationality and for their team to do well they need to perform

Ben Hornby Vs Sean Long

Hornby will be playing his first test, while Long has played many. Long?s ability to kick long and accurately as well as his ability to jink and step are brilliant, but Hornby is a running halfback, who can create problems for opposition defences with his swift movement. Long needs to dominate if the Lions are to have a chance.

Best Bet:

Head to Head the Kangaroos will be unbackable favourites so the best option may be to back the Lions with the start, if that start is overly generous, as it may well be.

Source: NRL

Queenslander
30-10-06, 03:14 PM
Lions aware of Inglis brilliance: Noble
Monday, October 30, 2006 - 1:16 PM

Great Britain coach Brian Noble says his side will be well prepared to try and curb the brilliance of young Australian stars Greg Inglis and Karmichael Hunt in Saturday's Tri-Nations clash at Aussie Stadium.

The Lions held their first training session on Australian soil on Monday morning after opening their Tri-Nations campaign with an 18-14 loss to New Zealand in Christchurch.

While yet to face the likes of Inglis or Hunt in an international, Noble said his side was well aware of their talent.

"We've seen plenty of them, we get two live games every weekend, and I get vision from other games, so the coaching staff are pretty aware of their special talents and how good they are," Noble said.

"But we think we've got players who can play as well, and whilst we weren't quite fluent as we would have liked (against New Zealand), I'm sure we've got plenty of improvement in us.

"You've got to score some points, you can't just attempt to do some damage limitation."

Noble admitted former Super League Man of Steel Jamie Lyon, who is expected to play for Australia this weekend, would be a major threat.

"Jamie's a super player.. he's a threat, but you've got to also watch the other 16 in green and gold as well."

Hornby Excited by Kangaroos Call Up
Monday, October 30, 2006 - 11:50 AM

New Kangaroos halfback Ben Hornby is looking to make the most of the opportunity and push regular half Johnathan Thurston for a spot in the team to contest the final.

Ricky Stuart made the move to not only give Thurston a rest, but also to see how the Dragons utility will fit into the halves alongside captain Darren Lockyer, and Hornby believes he is ready for the challenge.

?It?s a huge honour and something that I am very proud of, and hopefully I can go out there and acquit myself well.

I thought that I would get a game somewhere in the series and now that I have got that chance I would like to make the most of it and play well?.

Hornby has had plenty of time to absorb the news that he would be playing in this test as Ricky Stuart informed him before they broke from camp after the last game. This has also given Hornby time to think about how he will fit in as Lockyer?s new partner.

?When he (Lockyer) wants the ball I?ll be giving it to him, I have had Trent Barrett here at the Dragons for a long time, so I think that I am used to having a high profile player in the team, so I think that might help. The rest of the time though I will have to take the responsibility and guide the team around the park?.

Hornby?s selection as the Kangaroos halfback is the strongest pointer yet that he is considered a half more than a fullback, and he is slowly warming to the prospect, and believes he can give the team something different than Thurston, who is more of a traditional halfback.

?I think my future does lie in the halves. I don?t really know what else I can give the team. Hopefully I think that I run the ball a little bit more than Johno, and that might have an impact on the game?.

While Hornby wants to make an impact on his debut, he is aware that the Lions halves are more than capable of doing the same, and is expecting a strong performance from them.

?Sean Long has been a good player for a while and McGuire is exciting at five eighth, so it should be a good tussle on Saturday night?.

Queenslander
30-10-06, 05:44 PM
Lyon set to return for Kangaroos
Monday, October 30, 2006 - 5:38 PM

Jamie Lyon is poised to end his three-year exile from the Australian team with the Manly-bound NRL centre heavily tipped to be named for the Kangaroos on Tuesday.

The former St Helens centre, who has spent the past two years in England after walking out of Parramatta early in 2004, is expected to be one of up to four changes to the Australian team for Saturday's Tri-Nations clash with Great Britain.

St George Illawarra utility Ben Hornby has already been confirmed at halfback, replacing a resting Johnathan Thurston.

Barnstorming forward Willie Mason is fit to return after sitting out game two of the series against New Zealand with concussion.

While Brisbane centre Brent Tate is also a possible inclusion as coach Ricky Stuart looks to get the most out of his 23-man squad after making a fast start to the tournament with back-to-back wins over the Kiwis.

Lyon's likely inclusion, though, will be the most talked about, despite the man himself keeping quiet on Monday, knocking back interview requests until he had 100 per cent confirmation he would be playing.

The British camp, however, was more forthcoming.

"He's a super player, he's got good speed, he gets on your outside, so we have to be very wary of what Jamie can do," said Lions coach Brian Noble.

"We probably know a little bit more about him... than we do about the other Australians, because he's been over in Super League.

"So yeah, he's a threat."

Lyon quit Parramatta just one game into the 2004 season, citing a dislike for city life.

He joined St Helens in 2005, winning the Super League's best player award last year before capping a highly successful two-year stint with a premiership earlier this month.

The 24-year-old was unavailable for Australia's opening two games of the tournament because of his involvement in the Super League grand final and only joined the Kangaroos squad early last week.

Lyon's original selection sparked plenty of controversy.

Eels great Peter Sterling and former NSW State of Origin coach Phil Gould both launched stinging attacks on Australia's decision to break tradition and pick an England-based player.

Gould labelled Lyon's call-up a "disgrace", while Eels legend Sterling remained "filthy" about the young centre's decision to walk out of Parramatta, adding: I don't want him in the Test side and I don't want him back in the NRL."

Lyon, who last played for Australia in the 2003 Anzac Test, could be named at either lock or on the bench for his sixth national cap.

His inside knowledge on many of the Lions could also be useful for the Kangaroos.

Although the quietly-spoken Lyon is yet to reveal any.

"Killer doesn't say boo," fellow Kangaroo and former Eels clubmate Nathan Hindmarsh said.

"But I'm sure he'll say something, he'll give a few tips for the players that he knows."

************************************************** ********************************

Hindmarsh Predicts Big Forward Clash
Monday, October 30, 2006 - 4:02 PM

While Great Britain may have been unimpressive in a losing effort to the New Zealander?s at the weekend Australain second rower and tackling machine Nathan Hindmarsh is not writing them off, but urging caution ahead of this weekends clash.

?I think they are capable of playing better, especially if they play as a team?.

?The Poms will be better after the hit out last weekend, and I expect them to definitely be better against us on Saturday night. I was impressed with how quick their backs are, and their forwards are big boppers, Muz (Adrian Morley) is still up there with the best I have seen in a while?.

Morley was as always at the centre of the controversy after match, having made a high tackle on Ruben Wiki and punched Kiwi fullback Brent Webb, but Hindmarsh believes that having seen so much of Morley in recent times, that the Aussie pack will be ready for him

?We expect his usual, for him to come out with a few big hits. Adrian?s a tough competitor and we?re used to it?.

Similarly the front row threat posed by the Lions is something that Hindmarsh believes the kangaroos can counter.

?Our whole front row will be ready for a big game, Petero is always ready, and big Mase missed out last week and has missed the last couple of weeks so he will be pumped and ready to get back out there playing some football. Ogre doesn?t mind a good contest either so I think it will be a big clash up front?.

Asked whether he thought they would be well prepared for the Lions based on previous experience Hindmarsh felt the Kangaroos would but noted that there were a few new faces in the Lions squad.

?They don?t only have the same guys as before but there are a lot of new faces as well?.

One player who should be able to shed some light on some of the lesser known Lions players and what they are about is returning centre and Hindmarsh?s former Eels teammate Jamie Lyon, but Hindmarsh thinks that getting the information might be harder than many would think.

?Killer (Lyon) doesn?t say boo, he doesn?t say anything until he goes and lies in bed, but I?m sure he will give us a few tips for the players that he knows?.

Queenslander
31-10-06, 12:31 PM
Stuart makes five changes for GB Test
Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 9:05 AM

Centre Jamie Lyon will end a three-year exile after being named among five changes to the starting Australian team for Saturday's Tri-Nations rugby league Test against Great Britain.

With his team unbeaten after its opening two series matches against New Zealand, Australian coach Ricky Stuart has opted to make wide use of his 23-man squad.

Lyon takes over in the centres from Justin Hodges, utility back Ben Hornby replaces a resting Johnathan Thurston at halfback and Brent Tate takes over from Matt King on a wing.

In the forwards, barnstorming second rower Willie Mason returns after sitting out game two against the Kiwis in Melbourne on October 21 because of concussion and Shaun Berrigan swaps his bench spot to replace Cameron Smith at hooker.

Signed to play for Manly in the NRL next season, Lyon has not represented the Kangaroos since 2003 after walking away from the Parramatta club in 2004 and later spending two seasons in England's Super League.

Australian team: Karmichael Hunt, Brent Tate, Mark Gasnier, Jamie Lyon, Greg Inglis, Darren Lockyer (capt), Ben Hornby, Mark O'Meley, Shaun Berrigan, Petero Civoniceva, Willie Mason, Nathan Hindmarsh, Luke O'Donnell. Interchange: Cameron Smith, Anthony Tupou, Brent Kite, Antonio Kaufusi.

DIEHARD
31-10-06, 01:42 PM
I can't believe Cam Smith gets overlooked for #9 and Thaiday gets robbed of a test jumper.

And Hornby.....well...

Kaufusi doesn't belong nor Tupou. I'd also punt Hunt for Inglis.

Victor
31-10-06, 02:16 PM
cool, lyon and inglis on the right :!:

Grimmace
31-10-06, 02:19 PM
Just heard on the news Kafusi has been ruled out with a strain of somesort and Sam Thaiday replaces him.

Victor
31-10-06, 02:23 PM
thats great for sam thaiday, i wanted him to replace tupou though

Grimmace
31-10-06, 02:27 PM
thats great for sam thaiday, i wanted him to replace tupou though
Thiday did have a better game than tupou but Stuart has they loyalty factor to his ex players. Shame for Kafusi though.

Queenslander
31-10-06, 02:41 PM
By changing our players around and "resting" others is a big slap in the face to GB. They will be strong competition and will probably win on the day against a side with numerous changes.

Queenslander
31-10-06, 02:46 PM
Kaufusi ruled out of Kangaroos Test
Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 1:08 PM

Antonio Kaufusi has been ruled out of the Australian team for Saturday night's Tri-Nations rugby league Test against Great Britain with a minor hamstring strain.

Coach Ricky Stuart had named the Melbourne Storm forward on his interchange bench for the Aussie Stadium clash but was forced to replace him with Sam Thaiday when he suffered his injury at training.

Australian team: Karmichael Hunt, Brent Tate, Mark Gasnier, Jamie Lyon, Greg Inglis, Darren Lockyer (capt), Ben Hornby, Mark O'Meley, Shaun Berrigan, Petero Civoniceva, Willie Mason, Nathan Hindmarsh, Luke O'Donnell. Interchange: Cameron Smith, Anthony Tupou, Brent Kite, Sam Thaiday.

DIEHARD
31-10-06, 03:14 PM
Sam Thaiday.

Good news for Australia, very bad news for the Poms!!

Grimmace
01-11-06, 01:54 PM
Lions
1. Paul Wellens
2. Brian Carney
3. Keith Senior
4. Kirk Yeaman
5. Leon Pryce
6. Danny McGuire
7. Sean Long
8. Stuart Fielden
9. Terry Newton
10. Jamie Pea**** (c)
11. Gareth Ellis
12. Gareth Hock
13. Sean O'Loughlin

Interchange:
14. James Roby
15. Adrian Morley
16. Lee Gilmour
17. Jon Wilkin
Source: www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
01-11-06, 02:55 PM
Good to see Yeaman in the centres. Good move.

Also I think moving Morley to the bench was the correct idea.

Victor
01-11-06, 03:52 PM
Ill be supporting australia but i have this feeling i hope great britian win

Robbie_Dee
02-11-06, 04:32 PM
The Aussie team is a very different looking one! I hope it all works out, Berrigan I think will do a great job at hooker and I'm sure Brent Tate will have a good game at centre, however i would have liked to see Hodges at the other centre.

Go_The_Doggies
03-11-06, 01:13 PM
No offence, but does anyone care about this game?

I have heard absolutely nothing about this game, nothing at all.

Grimmace
03-11-06, 01:15 PM
Well since Mcguire ios out i doubt they will win now but the only thing ive heard all week is the lions talk them selves up and leyon price saying Australia is crap.

DIEHARD
03-11-06, 01:15 PM
No offence, but does anyone care about this game?

I have heard absolutely nothing about this game, nothing at all.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

It has just been all over the papers all week...

Go_The_Doggies
03-11-06, 01:17 PM
It seems like the media just don't seem interested :|..*sigh* i had planned on cheering on either GB, or a draw, but I gotta change my plans now don't i!!! :mad:

Grimmace
03-11-06, 01:25 PM
It seems like the media just don't seem interested :|..*sigh* i had planned on cheering on either GB, or a draw, but I gotta change my plans now don't i!!! :mad:
I could get a few articles if you want. I really should go get what leon pryce said and then get Brian Fletchers reply but its just been stuart throwing stones At N.Z and GB talking themselves up.

DIEHARD
03-11-06, 01:34 PM
Hiding behind a hitman

The whingeing Pom with the biggest mouth in international rugby league went into hiding yesterday after his scathing attack on Australia and one of our most famous landmarks.

As Sydney bathed in 30-plus temperatures on a glorious spring afternoon, Leon Pryce did his best to duck the controversy as he used big Adrian Morley as a virtual bodyguard.

Suddenly, the motor-mouthed Pom had nothing to say, refusing to stand by his comments or answer questions.

And when contacted at his team motel in beautiful Manly, Pryce didn't even have the decency to offer a polite hello ? or goodbye.

Pryce caused a furore this week by declaring: "I'd much rather be back in Bradford. I'd rather be on Blackpool Beach than Bondi Beach. They can keep the country to themselves."

But last night Morley would not allow anyone near Pryce when Great Britain attended a private function at the British Consulate residence in Vaucluse.

Morley, despite living in Sydney for more than five years, refused to defend his former residence.

"I don't really think I can comment on any of that," he said.

Great Britain coach Brian Noble tried to laugh off the controversy, saying Pryce was simply being cheeky.

"It's not like you people (the media) to take one word and turn it into 5000," Noble said.

"It's been nice and spicy but I think it was said a little tongue-in-cheek.

"I'm a proud Bradford man myself ? it's not all about riots.

"But it (the comments) has raised the ante a little. We're proud people and we're a proud race."

Noble defended Blackpool's famous beach, saying: "It's absolutely outstanding ? there are miles and miles of golden sand," he said.

And it appears Pryce isn't the only homesick Great Britain player on tour.

The Daily Telegraph understands many more have complained about being bored at Manly, saying there is nothing to do and that they are tired of walking up and down the famous Corso.

Noble and team manager Abi Ekoku denied players were restless but a number of sources have told The Daily Telegraph the player's want to return home.

A source close to the Pommy camp said: "They claim there is nothing to do. They are saying: 'How long to go' and 'How long do we have to stay here for'?"

Manly Mayor Peter Macdonald said Manly offered 96 licensed restaurants, five pubs, nightclubs, art galleries and libraries.

"There is sun, surf and sand here in Manly ? frankly they should wake up to themselves," Macdonald said.

"They strike me as being a gormless bunch if they can't find anything to do in Manly." Ekoku denied his players were walking around aimlessly.

"This tour is something you look forward to ? not something you dread," he said.

Source: Daily Tele

DIEHARD
03-11-06, 01:35 PM
There has been some hilarious articles in the papers comparing Australia to England ala Pryce. :naughty:

Grimmace
03-11-06, 01:37 PM
Filthy Fletcher adds to Blackpool stink with dirty jibe
November 3, 2006

BRYAN Fletcher says he would take Bondi over Blackpool any day, describing Leon Pryce's favourite seaside town as dirty.

Pryce's Great Britain teammates yesterday said the winger was "surprised" by the Australian reaction to his website tour diary, in which he said Australians had no respect for the English, the Tri-Nations' host country was "not all it's made out to be", and he preferred Blackpool beach to Bondi.

But as the stink made headlines in the UK, Fletcher, who left Bondi for Wigan this year, waded in, saying: "I went to Blackpool - me and the missus. We got there and the wife said, 'Pick the baby up, I don't want her walking on the footpath'.

"All the hen's nights and buck's nights go there. We were there on Sunday morning, and they were all going home. I've never seen that type of people. It's so dirty. And the beach - you've got your sand, but the water's edge is about a kilometre out to sea. It's just ****house."

Pryce's GB teammate Adrian Morley, who has also sampled both Bondi and Blackpool, said the St Helens player was merely attempting to give the English public a "shot in the arm" with his bbc.co.uk diary.

"I'm surprised how much attention it's got," said Morley, the former Rooster. "He was just trying to give the public in England a bit of a boost, but it's all blown up in his face. It's ridiculous."

But was the Pryce right? "They've both got their high points and their low points," Morley said diplomatically.

Morley, meanwhile, said he was not fazed by his demotion to the Lions bench for Saturday night's clash with the Australians.

"It's easily a 17-man game nowadays," he said. "The coach [Brian Noble] has told me I'll have the same amount of game time as the other two front-rowers.

"He just said he wanted to play Jamie Pea**** as an out-and-out front-rower. Two into three doesn't go. I respect the coach's decision. Jamie's the captain. Stuart [Fielden] had a reasonably quiet game compared to his own high standards and he [Noble] is looking for a big starting game off Stu."

Glenn Jackson
Source:smh

Go_The_Doggies
03-11-06, 01:53 PM
I could get a few articles if you want. I really should go get what leon pryce said and then get Brian Fletchers reply but its just been stuart throwing stones At N.Z and GB talking themselves up.
**** I hate ricky stuart. God, I prefered it when Wayne Bennet was coach, he didn't say anything in the media!!. Ricky Stuart makes me so angry. :(

Queenslander
03-11-06, 03:21 PM
Civinoceva Looks to Continue Dream Year
Friday, November 3, 2006 - 1:50 PM

While most league fans are savouring the prospect of Mark O?Meley and Willie Mason locking horns with Stuart Fielden and Adrian Morley when Australia meets Great Britain in Game 4 of the Gillette Tri Nations at Aussie Stadium it will be the quiet achiever in the Green and Gold who also plays a key role.

Brisbane, Queensland and Australian prop Petero Civoniceva is having the season of his life having played a key role in both of Australia?s victories in the series so far and the big prop is hoping the year goes on forever.

?Yeah I do it?s been a dream year for me, taking out the premiership with the Broncos, winning the player of the year, State of origin and the success we?ve had so far in the Tri Nations. I?m just hoping it will continue on Saturday and hopefully in the final."

The 30-year-old came under fire at the start of the season, along with many of his Brisbane and Queensland team mates, for being too old and too slow and Civoniceva says he took those barbs to heart and still has the clippings to remind him of that time.

?Of course, you hear these criticisms and they?re things you don?t forget and I suppose for most parts it?s what spurred me on this season so I?m hoping to finish the season on a good note in the Tri Nations and certainly when I look back on those comments and probably be grateful in one respect that it probably helped me get through the season.?

Much like Queensland Civoniceva came in for heavy criticism after game one of the origin series and he says the turnaround to win the series will live with him forever.

?Origin this year will go down as one of the highlights of my career. After all the criticism that was thrown our way following game one and our chances were talked down. But the way we went up in Brisbane and then the way we won in Melbourne was something I?ll remember for the rest of my life.?

Now that criticism is forgotten and the big Queenslander is enjoying his role in the Australian side and says the chance this week to play Great Britain at Aussie Stadium is something he?s looked forward to for a long time.

?I can?t wait. I?ve been fortunate enough to play Great Britain over there so to play on our home soil now is fantastic.

Hopefully we?ll get a good crowd out there to support it. Then the next test going up to play in front of my home crowd up in Brisbane I?ll cherish that, especially having all my family up in the stands.?

While his own form has been top shelf the Kangaroos didn?t hit top gear against the Kiwis and Civoniceva says they might be winning but they need to do more.

?It?s been great but we probably dropped a bit more ball than we wanted to in that second test we created some opportunities for them with our poor discipline. I know this week we?ve done a lot defensively and working on some things in attack to try and give us that edge.?

Mark O?Meley has made his intentions loud and clear this week to target the Great Britain pack, especially Stuart Fielden, and Civoniceva says it?s a challenge he?s savouring as well

?For sure, it?s going to be a great battle up front I can?t wait. I know last time we took the English on it was a very physical encounter. I?m sure Adrian Morley will have all their boys fired up so as a pack we just can?t wait to get out there.?

The Kangaroos are well aware of the ?fear factor? Adrian Morley is capable of at his best and the Aussie prop is ready for a desperate Lions team.

?Not just Adrian, you look at Fielden and all the other forwards it?s going to be a very tough contest for us so I suppose whoever wins the battle up front will make things a lot easier for their playmakers.?

Civoniceva says he?s pretty sure where the Lions will target the home team too, hoping to exploit a perceived weakness.

?In and around our ruck, New Zealand tried to expose us there on quite a few occasions in our previous tests with quick work out of dummy half and I think Britain might see that as a weakness, but we?ve been doing a lot of work in that area this week just trying to get that right so we can lay a good platform for our backs.?

With the Australian team having two home games to go before the Sydney final they?re tipped to go through the series undefeated but Civoniceva says they won?t put the cart before the horse.

?It?s something we haven?t talked about but of course it would be great, I think our main focus is keeping things simple, we were probably down a bit on our New Zealand performance in Melbourne so hopefully we can improve on that and take some good form into the final.?

~Wild Child~
03-11-06, 03:24 PM
Sam Thaiday.

Good news for Australia, very bad news for the Poms!!
:D Like the sound of this :D

Queenslander
03-11-06, 08:16 PM
Stuart unconvinced by Lions shuffle
Friday, November 3, 2006 - 6:41 PM

Ricky Stuart believes Great Britain has pulled a swifty in naming Leon Pryce at five-eighth with the Australian Test coach unconvinced the Lions will run out as selected on Saturday night.

The Lions moved St Helens pivot Pryce from the wing to five-eighth for the Tri-Nations clash at Aussie Stadium after Danny McGuire lost his battle with a thigh strain.

Despite the lack of a viable alternative in the Lions squad, Stuart believes the tourists may still have something up their sleeve.

"I'm not too sure what they'll do at five-eighth," Stuart said.

"There's talk of Pryce there but I think ... I don't know what decision they'll make.

"It's not going to be a major drama for us, we'll just play what's in front of us."

Earlier in the day Great Britain coach Brian Noble talked up his new halves pairing, with the Pryce-Sean Long scrumbase combination the same one which delivered St Helens a trophy treble this season.

Kangaroos captain Darren Lockyer talked up the possibility of Pryce moving into pivot, admitting he was impressed with what he saw from Pryce against the Kiwis last weekend.

"He's had a good season for St Helens at that position and last week I though every time he touched the ball he was probably one of their most dangerous players," Lockyer said.

"I think getting him closer to the action is a good thing for him."

The Kangaroos have issues of their own in the halves with Lockyer and debutant Ben Hornby teaming up for the first time at any level.

Hornby, the St George Illawarra utility who until this season was better known as a fullback, has been given the opportunity by Stuart to push for a berth in the November 25 final ahead of incumbent Johnathan Thurston, the Australians already assured of making the decider.

"I've been really impressed by Ben the whole camp, he's been very good at training," Lockyer said.

"Obviously he's very excited about his debut and I think it's a big challenge for him, but just from what I've seen on the training paddock I think he's more than capable of doing the job."

Predicted wet weather in Sydney on Saturday night could curtail Stuart's plans to unleash his star-studded backline, but the Kangaroos mentor remains more concerned with the amount of room referee Ashley Klein gives his outside men.

The Australians were known to be upset by Klein's 10 metres in their two wins over New Zealand earlier in the tournament, while Noble said he would also talk to referees' co-ordinator Robert Finch about interpretations at the ruck.

"I think it will be quite a physical game, quite confrontational," Stuart said.

"It's important that we don't get bogged down in this match so that you players get a little bit more football, if we're allowed to play.

"I know Great Britain will be very keen on a slugfest style of footy game, a typical Test match.

"With the flair and the attacking ability we've got we'd like to get that on."

hugebrianfan
04-11-06, 11:47 AM
yea...it may be a tough match though for Great Britian...well i wish them good luck!!! and i get to see my fav player Brian Carney

~Wild Child~
04-11-06, 07:06 PM
Trust Mason to throw the first punch :( :ok:

Steelers
04-11-06, 07:17 PM
Mason should have got 10 in the bin for that punch IMO.

Poida
04-11-06, 07:19 PM
i agree and now theyre thinking morley might enact some revenge

~Wild Child~
04-11-06, 07:19 PM
:ok: And then he gives another penalty...:ok:
Just as the commentators said, "Mason has'nt got any friends out there at all". :laugh:

Steelers
04-11-06, 07:33 PM
Strange reshuffle by Staurt with Gaz going off, moving alot of players, including Hornby to fullback.

Hornby sets up an intercept try for Inglis

6-0 to Australia

Poida
04-11-06, 07:37 PM
hornby looked a little offside

Robbie_Dee
04-11-06, 07:47 PM
The games lacking something, its not at the same intensity as the previous games, it started off looking like it was gunna be a game full of fights, but died off later in the 1st half.

Let me just say that i think Thurston should never have been 'rested';)

Poida
04-11-06, 07:49 PM
The games lacking something, its not at the same intensity as the previous games, it started off looking like it was gunna be a game full of fights, but died off later in the 1st half.

:lol!: i knew you were gonna say that and i agree.
plus i though hornby was a little offside

Poida
04-11-06, 07:51 PM
ok i admit i was wrong hornby wasnt offside lol but still

Robbie_Dee
04-11-06, 07:58 PM
Willie Mason...You are a legend! You have gained back all my respect! :clap: :clap: :clap: He landed an awesome punch on that player, knocked him straight to the ground! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Poida
04-11-06, 08:00 PM
Willie Mason...You are a legend! You have gained back all my respect! :clap: :clap: :clap: He landed an awesome punch on that player, knocked him straight to the ground! :clap: :clap: :clap:
:lol!: . he didnt need to retaliate

~Wild Child~
04-11-06, 08:08 PM

Agree Robbie Dee. Thurston should have been be playing tonight..They tried to fix something that was'nt broken :noidea:..... The Aussies are missing the team dynamic they have, when Thurston is there...:noidea:...I hope he is included in the teams for the upcoming games. :(

Poida
04-11-06, 08:10 PM
Agree Robbie Dee. Thurston should have been be playing tonight..They tried to fix something that was'nt broken :noidea:..... The Aussies are missing the team dynamic they have when Thurston is there...:noidea:...I hope he is included in the teams for the upcoming games. :(
yeh. if theyre gonna have hornby put him on the bench

Steelers
04-11-06, 08:14 PM
It is kind of hard for Hornby to play well when he is being moved around the park to different positions in the middle of a game :p

Poida
04-11-06, 08:19 PM
lol hornby missed a chance

~Wild Child~
04-11-06, 08:30 PM
It is kind of hard for Hornby to play well when he is being moved around the park to different positions in the middle of a game :p
Johathan Thurston has much more versatility..and i think thats the difference between JT and Hornby. ;) And...JT would have handled the pressure far better than Hornby is :p :laugh:

Robbie_Dee
04-11-06, 08:45 PM
It is kind of hard for Hornby to play well when he is being moved around the park to different positions in the middle of a game :pstop making excuses for Hornby! he was moved for like 5 mins in the first half! Had nothing to do with how he played the whole game!

Well it serves Ricky Stuart right for not playin the full strength team! FFS! rest 1 player at tops, but no however many he did, for eg, i like tate and all, but why would you replace him for Matt King!!!! And Justin Hodges being replaced for jamie lyon, it put the whole back line out of position an was the reason for our loss!

Steelers
04-11-06, 08:51 PM
stop making excuses for Hornby! he was moved for like 5 mins in the first half! Had nothing to do with how he played the whole game!

Well it serves Ricky Stuart right for not playin the full strength team! FFS! rest 1 player at tops, but no however many he did, for eg, i like tate and all, but why would you replace him for Matt King!!!! And Justin Hodges being replaced for jamie lyon, it put the whole back line out of position an was the reason for our loss!

Stop making Hornby the scapegoat and stop making excuses for why we lost :p

We lost because Great Britain were the better team. They played great and would have beaten our 'full strength' team IMO. It was a wet weather game, and we all know how the Brits love their rain.

Robbie_Dee
04-11-06, 08:55 PM
Stop making Hornby the scapegoat and stop making excuses for why we lost :pdid u not read the rest of my post???

We lost because Great Britain were the better team. They played great and would have beaten our 'full strength' team IMO. It was a wet weather game, and we all know how the Brits love their rain.No way in the world would have GB beaton aussies full strength team, australia would have played them off the park if they had usualy players in their usual positions! Ricky stuart is stupid!

Poida
04-11-06, 08:56 PM
this is why thurston shouldnt have been rested.
hes a good organiser and kicker.

~Wild Child~
04-11-06, 08:58 PM
Stop making Hornby the scapegoat and stop making excuses for why we lost :p

We lost because Great Britain were the better team. They played great and would have beaten our 'full strength' team IMO. It was a wet weather game, and we all know how the Brits love their rain.
:laugh: Steelers :laugh:...Robbie Dee is a lil bit right :p
I think its nobody fault bar the selectors ..They tried to fix something...that was working perfectly. :p
Hornby is'nt a scapegoat.:laugh: He just not the best man for the job :p.
The Aussies would have won it easily, if the original team was there :(

davo
04-11-06, 09:01 PM
Exactly!!!! If Mason Just Shut His Big Mouth, Stop Suggesting Everyone Else Is A Dirty Player, Hes A Wanker And Thats That !!!!!!!!

Steelers
04-11-06, 09:06 PM
We lost because we were ill-disciplined, we made simple mistakes, and GB played awesome. That final try for GB summed it up IMO, it was one of the best tries of the year.

Steelers
04-11-06, 09:08 PM
:laugh: Steelers :laugh:...Robbie Dee is a lil bit right :p
I think its nobody fault bar the selectors ..They tried to fix something...that was working perfectly. :p
Hornby is'nt a scapegoat.:laugh: He just not the best man for the job :p.
The Aussies would have won it easily, if the original team was there :(

How can you say it was working perfectly? The only reason we won 2 weeks ago was because of the brilliance of Inglis and Gasnier in the final 3 minutes of the game. Hornby had an off night, I'll admit it, but so did the rest of the team. And that, combined with the fact that GB played better than I have seen them play i a long time, meant that we were never a hope of winning IMO.

~Wild Child~
04-11-06, 09:11 PM
We lost because we were ill-disciplined, we made simple mistakes, and GB played awesome. That final try for GB summed it up IMO, it was one of the best tries of the year.
Yeah I understand what you're saying...but if Hodges, Thurston etc were there..I think it would have been a different outcome. :)

Poida
04-11-06, 09:14 PM
locky and inglis were my best players tonight for australia

~Wild Child~
04-11-06, 09:15 PM
How can you say it was working perfectly? The only reason we won 2 weeks ago was because of the brilliance of Inglis and Gasnier in the final 3 minutes of the game. Hornby had an off night, I'll admit it, but so did the rest of the team. And that, combined with the fact that GB played better than I have seen them play i a long time, meant that we were never a hope of winning IMO.
Yes but Thurston took alot of reasonably difficult shots for goal...and thats where i say he is much more versatile player. Plus he just seems to bring an element to his play,and ultimately the game, than Hornby does, so all round I feel he is a better selection.

patrick
04-11-06, 09:25 PM
Good win by GB.... :clap:

But as has been said, if we had the full-strength side, we could have won. Thursto should have definately been in the side with Hornby on the bench. Wasn't Hornby's best game IMO. He is more a fullback than halfback. ;) Hodges also should have been somewhere in the 17.
Hopefully Willie behaves himself a bit better at Suncorp, very poor discipline. He didn't seem like he was focussed fully on the game, more focussed on targeting guys like Fielden. He was also GIFTED a try but dropped the ball...DUMMY! :whatd:
Lockyer and Inglis were by far our best. ;)
Sean Long was the best for GB tonight, and Gareth Raynor deserved the last try, he was great for them in attack.

Robbie_Dee
04-11-06, 09:54 PM
We lost because we were ill-disciplined, we made simple mistakes, and GB played awesome.I really Don't think either team played awesome! It wasn't a fast game at all and lacked a lot of the flare that we've been accustomed to lately. It could have gone either way, but because of Australia's 'ill-disciplined' side, it went to GB. A message to Ricky Stuart...learn by your mistakes.;) Players like Thurston, Matt King, and Justin Hodges do not need 'rests'. Ricky Stuart and the rest of the selectors were asking for a beating! I'm going down to Suncorp in 2 weeks time and i better be seeing those 3 players back on the field!

when0in0rome
04-11-06, 10:10 PM
I simply can't blive we won, im chuffed!
Mason is a git... he may have slowed fielden down for the game but he didnt count on wakin Jamie Pea****.... gave him a few good shots after he punched fielden!
Though sean long was awesome and Ellis was a packhorse as usual!

Robbie_Dee
04-11-06, 10:33 PM
Who got man of the match? IMO Sean Long deserved it though i'm not sure how on earth he missed that free kick conversion and the field goal attempt! They were basically directly in front of the dot! The commentators said he was the English Super League's best goal kicker this year or last year, didn't hear which one.

Poida
04-11-06, 10:36 PM
Who got man of the match? IMO Sean Long deserved it though i'm not sure how on earth he missed that free kick conversion and the field goal attempt! They were basically directly in front of the dot! The commentators said he was the English Super League's best goal kicker this year or last year, didn't hear which one.
yeh was him who got it

jake86
04-11-06, 10:56 PM
I simply can't blive we won, im chuffed!
Mason is a git... he may have slowed fielden down for the game but he didnt count on wakin Jamie Pea****.... gave him a few good shots after he punched fielden!
Though sean long was awesome and Ellis was a packhorse as usual!

Congrats to GB...To play as well as they did tonight after last weeks performance is a great effort. Sean Long was awesome!

Australia were ordinary at best. Thurston should be brought back for Hornby, and either Berrigan or Hornby should get the bench utility spot. What was ricky thinking, putting hornby at fullback? Also Phil Gould commentating origin looks fairly balanced compared to Gould commentating a test match

Victor
05-11-06, 05:26 AM
lyon didnt get the ball as much and if he did, GB wont give him a chance to do what ever he does because lyon was a threat to GB, like how the broncos didnt let inglis do much in the grand final,
everytime lyon was gona offload to tate there would be a Gb to intercept..

It was a good game and im glad GB win i wana see them play in full confidence

Good luck australia in next game.. i wuld put lyon on bench and hodges back in, or lyon out until next year

RIP
05-11-06, 07:57 AM
I had an itch that pomms would win & put money on them now im a rich man I just hope that itch dosen't turn into a rash

Go_The_Doggies
05-11-06, 08:42 AM
I wanted GB to win, even though I knew it would make it harder for us to get to the finals. *sigh*

Cowboys_Rabbit_Fan
05-11-06, 09:05 AM
I think we'll be seeing Johnathan Thurston coming back next game! (WOOHOO! CHAMPION) however I think that Ben Hornby should come off the bench ALONG WITH Shaun Berrigan and then have Sam Thaiday and Willie Mason keeping with the same forward pack, but moving Willie to the bench and moving Andrew Ryan back onto the team, but in a starting second row position this time.

Robbie_Dee
05-11-06, 09:39 AM
I wanted GB to win, even though I knew it would make it harder for us to get to the finals. *sigh*At least it will put a bit more suspense/tension into the remaining games!

Go_The_Doggies
05-11-06, 01:48 PM
At least it will put a bit more suspense/tension into the remaining games!
I don't want that thought lol. :(
I don't need anymore tension and suspense!! theres already enough in NZ league atm!!

Robbie_Dee
05-11-06, 01:50 PM
I don't want that thought lol. :(
I don't need anymore tension and suspense!! theres already enough in NZ league atm!!haha, yea true. but it'll make it a bit more interesting for us aussie's :lol!:

jenny
06-11-06, 05:10 PM
Insurance policy or arrogance

By Dean Ritchie

November 06, 2006 12:00
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

DEBATE raged last night over whether or not coach Ricky Stuart made a blunder by employing a controversial rotation policy for his Kangaroos side in Saturday night's horror Tri-Nations loss to Great Britain in Sydney.

Stuart used Ben Hornby and Jamie Lyon during the 23-12 loss to Great Britain ? omitting uninjured players Matt King and Johnathan Thurston.

After the match ? which was Great Britain's first victory on Australia soil since 1992 ? Stuart defended his rotation system, saying all players needed match fitness before the Tri-Nations final.

He described it as an "insurance policy".

However, during Channel 9's telecast of the match, commentator Phil Gould questioned Australia's rotation policy ? and particularly Hornby's selection at halfback ahead of Thurston.

Others supported Stuart's stance, with former representative forward Trevor Gillmeister declaring: "If Ricky loses three or four players through injury, he has to suddenly throw in players that haven't played for three months."

The fallout comes as North Queensland coach Graham Murray called for the immediate return of Thurston at halfback.

Stuart was not talking to the media yesterday but former Test and NSW hooker Benny Elias slammed any rotation process.

"I hate it ? it's absolutely ridiculous," Elias said. "You have to play your best side in every Test and not take a risk.

"You have to treat every Test as though it could be your last.

"We paid a big penalty on Saturday night."

But Stuart found allies in Gillmeister and former Australian five-eighth Matthew Johns.

"You've almost got to do it," Johns said.

"Say Ricky decides to go with Mark Gasnier and Justin Hodges and then Gasnier gets injured, Ricky is then faced with Jamie Lyon who hasn't played for five weeks."

Gillmeister added: "I can see where Ricky is coming from. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

"They say it cheapens the jumper but any of those players deserve to represent Australia."

Former Test forward Paul Sironen said he can "live with the rotation policy".

"Ricky experimented with Ben Hornby and it probably wasn't the success he had hoped for," he said.

"But the guys in the squad deserve a shot and we were a couple of wins ahead of the other sides."

At the post-match press conference, Stuart gave reasons why he named Hornby and Lyon.

"I've got no regrets whatsoever. I'd do it again," he said.

"I had to have a look at some players. I had to have a look at some combinations and I'm playing to win the series.

"It's like taking out insurance. I had to give some people football because if there is an injury the person who comes in and fills that player's spot has got some football under his belt."

Andrew Johns entered the debate by saying: "Ricky tried something but maybe it didn't work."

Murray called for Thurston's inclusion for the Gr