PDA

View Full Version : QLD: Origin brains trust back

Grimmace
29-10-06, 10:13 AM
Origin brains trust back
Greg Davis
October 29, 2006 12:00am

MAROONS assistant coach Neil Henry will know this week if he has the all-clear to return as Mal Meninga's right-hand man for Queensland's State of Origin campaign next year.

Henry will enter his first season as an National Rugby League head coach next year with Canberra.
A Raiders board meeting this week should give the former Cowboys assistant the go-ahead to continue his integral Maroons role.

The astute Henry said he had discussed potential State of Origin commitments with Canberra powerbrokers and had received a favourable response.

"I broached the matter with the Raiders midway through the year when I was negotiating with the club and they were happy for me to continue my role with the Queensland side," Henry said.

"We both see it as a great opportunity to be involved at that level of the game and to represent the club.

"Players and coaches alike come back from Origin football better for the experience and I'm sure my involvement will help the Raiders in some way down the track.

"It still has to be ratified by the board, which is fair enough, and we should know for sure sooner rather than later.

"There has always been a strong link between Canberra and Queensland with the likes of Mal, Steve Walters, Gary Belcher, Kevvy Walters and more recently Clinton Schifcofske and Adam Mogg so they are very open to that continuing."

Henry said plans were in place to cope with his absence from the nation's capital during the gruelling State of Origin series.

Canberra assistant coaches David Furner and Mick Crawley would prepare the team during the week and Henry would leave "Camp Maroon" for 24 hours on game day for the Raiders.

Henry said he had been in touch with Meninga ? who this season guided the Maroons to their first Origin series victory since 2001 ? and the Queensland boss was happy with the arrangement.

"Mal's keen for me to continue and is more than OK with the plan," Henry said.

Meanwhile, the other key members of Meninga's support staff this year are all but assured of being on hand for next year's title defence.

Meninga was always quick to pay tribute to his coaching staff during Queensland's gripping 2-1 series win with his brains trust including Henry, Kevin Walters, Billy Johnstone and Trevor Gillmeister as a defensive consultant.

Gillmeister and Johnstone are on the Gold Coast's coaching staff next year while Walters will guide Ipswich ? a Titans feeder club ? in the Queensland Wizard Cup.

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright said he couldn't imagine the Titans preventing key staff attaining representative honours.

"You never want to stand in the way of someone achieving at a higher level because they expand their knowledge and experiences, which makes them better coaches at club level," Cartwright said.
Source: Courier Mail

~Wild Child~
29-10-06, 05:44 PM
The assistants and support staff, never get the acknowledgment or the credit they deserve. Great job guys :clap:

GO Q UEENSLANDER :guit:

Social Loafer
29-10-06, 06:18 PM
Having a head coach with such close ties with a rep side is always a positive thing.
I have great faith in Neil Henry and believe he will help bring out the bucket loads of potential the 2007 Canberra side possesses.

Queenslander
30-10-06, 10:21 AM
Having a head coach with such close ties with a rep side is always a positive thing.
I have great faith in Neil Henry and believe he will help bring out the bucket loads of potential the 2007 Canberra side possesses.

Schifty, do you think that the powers that be at Canberra will allow Henry to continue with his role during SOO? I personally hope so he is a vital cog in a well oiled machine.

Social Loafer
30-10-06, 07:46 PM
For sure...

Blocking his request would just cause unwanted tension at the club.. It also works as recruitment pulling power to have him there...

Win/Win situation.