PDA

View Full Version : Titans unlikely to sign more players

Mavfan
23-09-05, 10:19 AM
Titans unlikely to sign more players

22 September 2005

The spending spree that has lured two internationals to the Gold Coast appears to have come to a halt with the new NRL franchise unlikely to sign any more Titans this year.

Gold Coast managing director Michael Searle said it was unlikely any more players would be signed this year after unveiling the club's new moniker for 2007.

The Gold Coast Titans will join the Brisbane Broncos and the North Queensland Cowboys as Queensland's representatives in the NRL following a four-month search for a nickname.

Australian prop Luke Bailey and Great Britain winger Brian Carney headline the club's signings for their inaugural season with Preston Campbell, Luke O'Dwyer, Nathan Friend, Anthony Laffranchi and Matt Petersen also destined for the tourist strip.

But Searle all but ruled out further player signings despite speculation the club was keen to complete a deal with Dragons custodian Clint Greenshields.

Greenshields, a Coffs Harbour junior, signed a one-year deal with the Dragons that could still see him in a Titans jersey the following season.

Searle, however, said the Gold Coast wouldn't be rushed into making a move for Greenshields who has proved to be one of the NRL's finds of the year.

"We spoke to his manager at the time we could negotiate with him and reiterated that the head coach (John Cartwright) is keen on him," Searle said.

"The coach is pretty keen to see him in his second year in but he's obviously got incredible talent and it's always a good test for the kid.

"I think he's the sort of kid that would stand up to the test too. But next year there are a couple of quality fullbacks coming off (contract) so he's amongst a group of guys that are high quality."

Searle said the club remained in negotiations with several overseas based players but doubted whether talks would continue this year.

"I said we were hoping to get between seven and ten (players) initially," he said.

"I think we've exhausted (negotiations) as much as we can so I think at this stage we'll probably put the cue in the rack."

Along with fullback Searle nominated, halfback, front-rower and the centres as the club's priority positions.

There were 49,224 votes cast by fans on the NRL website in the race to find a new name, with Titans beating out rival monikers Pirates and Stingers by a convincing margin.

The Gold Coast received the green light to become the 16th club from league officials in May this year but had to search for a new nickname after losing its last mascot.

The club was to be originally known as the Dolphins but a potential legal battle by Queensland Wizard Cup club Redcliffe forced officials to scrap the name.

"It's an important milestone for the Gold Coast and I'm sure that the Titans name will become a catch-cry for thousands of fans," NRL chief executive David Gallop said.

Cartwright, formerly an assistant to Ricky Stuart at the Roosters, joined Searle and fellow club officials for the Titans launch after relocating his family from Sydney.

After securing a name, the Titans, who will use Queensland Wizard Cup clubs Tweed Heads, Burleigh and Ipswich as feeder sides, now begin their search for a jersey.

Fans will be able to vote on six new designs on the club's website, www.titans.com.au, with the winning entry expected to be released before Christmas.

Source: www.nrl.com

Mavfan
23-09-05, 10:21 AM
Great to see the NRL pushing the Titans name out there. This will only mean even better news(and hits) for this website.

Cannot wait till this forum gets off the ground and is in full swing.

With regards to player signings. I really do hope the Titans can land a few more big name players next year.

Dakink
23-09-05, 10:29 AM
I think that is smart.

No need to rush out and sign duds simply for the sake of it.

We need to make sure we develop a team that willnot only compete, but develop the Titans brand, hence the importance of singing the correct players. All the players signed so far have the same sort of "feel" to me. Loyal, clean players who never seem to give less than 100% on AND off the field.

"Putting the que back in the rack" could be the one of the smartest moves. Wait and plan for the right player then pounce. Some of the lower comps eg QLD cup have some amazing talent running around that can also be developed. It snot about winning the comp (as nice as that would be) in the first year, but building a club that will be in with a chance year after year and with a good ethic surrounding it.

Mavfan
23-09-05, 10:32 AM
I think that is smart.

No need to rush out and sign duds simply for the sake of it.

We need to make sure we develop a team that willnot only compete, but develop the Titans brand, hence the importance of singing the correct players. All the players signed so far have the same sort of "feel" to me. Loyal, clean players who never seem to give less than 100% on AND off the field.

"Putting the que back in the rack" could be the one of the smartest moves. Wait and plan for the right player then pounce. Some of the lower comps eg QLD cup have some amazing talent running around that can also be developed. It snot about winning the comp (as nice as that would be) in the first year, but building a club that will be in with a chance year after year and with a good ethic surrounding it.

Very well said :)