PDA

View Full Version : Daylight saving, yes or no?

DIEHARD
09-11-05, 05:09 AM
Are you for or against daylight saving?

DIEHARD
09-11-05, 05:10 AM
I give daylight saving the biggest fattest X. NO!

DIEHARD
09-11-05, 05:11 AM
Related story...

PM urged to 'impose uniformity'

Prime Minister John Howard has been told he has the constitutional power to impose uniform daylight saving and has been urged to sort out the muddle.

Senate President Paul Calvert wrote to the Prime Minister yesterday urging him to impose summer-time uniformity.

The Tasmanian senator wants the issue raised with premiers at a Council of Australian Governments meeting.

He said he believed the Federal Government could use its constitutional powers over weights and measures to bring order to time zones, including uniform starting times for daylight saving.

This could end the fracturing of summer into five separate time zones across the continent.

Senator Calvert said the "maze of different times" was a "real shackle on the economy, as well as causing interruptions to work and family balance".

Mr Howard is sympathetic. On October 28 he said it was "a great pity" the states' starting times were staggered.

He supported moving the introduction of daylight saving back a month, to when it begins in Tasmania.

Tasmania marks the recognition of summer time on the first Sunday of October. It is followed at the end of the month by NSW, Victoria, South Australia and the ACT.

Queensland and the Northern Territory refuse to adjust their clocks.

Senator Calvert said he had asked Mr Howard to look at whether daylight saving should be extended in mainland states, and if they should start and finish together.

"The cost to our economy of the multitude of time zones and, more particularly, the inconsistent application of daylight saving, would be hard to quantify, but I would imagine it is significant," he said.

NSW has already said it would not change.

Premier Morris Iemma said last month that for every city dweller who liked saving daylight, there was a rural resident who disagreed.

About 125 years ago Australia was divided into Eastern Standard Time, Central Standard Time and Western Standard Time according to an international convention on time zones.

Source: http://www.NEWS.com.au

SaRaH...
09-11-05, 07:43 AM
I like daylight savings cause it means that i can stay out longer at night, but i hate it cause the sun gets up at like 4am and its really annoying when you are trying to sleep.

DIEHARD
09-11-05, 07:52 AM
I like daylight savings cause it means that i can stay out longer at night, but i hate it cause the sun gets up at like 4am and its really annoying when you are trying to sleep.

Yea the sun gets up early enough as it is. :michaelan

Queenslander
09-11-05, 10:35 AM
Im for it, the main problem is that we currently get all the "live" tv shows one hour late...............that is so annoying :laugh:

Titans#1
09-11-05, 10:52 AM
I just love what people have said in the past to why they do not want Daylight Savings.

"If we have DLS, my curtains will fade from all the extra sunlight"

"My husband has a morning glory when he wakes up, if we have DLS, he'll be sitting on the train to work with it"

UUmmm......:dizzy: :whatd:

Queenslander
09-11-05, 10:53 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^ That is just wrong :whatd:

Dakink
09-11-05, 11:02 AM
I love Daylight savings!!!

Living where we have it is an absolute treat. We get home from work and still have hours of sunshine left to enjoy the warm weather. When my little 'uns wake up at 5 it is light so there is no problem there either.

Take last night for example. Got hame at 5 ish, the MRs got home at 6. We then went over to the beach and spent a couple of hours having dinner and playing and got home as the sun was going down at 8. Was fantastic. I say bring it in all year round..

Super Cronk
09-11-05, 11:03 AM
i like it.

Titanium_BD1103
09-11-05, 12:03 PM
Yes, you should all be forced to be in the same time zone as I am...I hate it how when I phone people for work it is lunchtime because it is 1pm in QLD and 2pm in NSW... we need one unified system...

Oh and don't get me started about trying to call Perth.. that is why I am 100% behind everyone being on DST :D :D

Teegy
09-11-05, 12:06 PM
Let you NSW people keep DLS. i hate it. Lucky QLD have the brains to stay away from it

Titanium_BD1103
09-11-05, 12:12 PM
Yeah I know.. we should have too.. LOL.. but hey if we have to have it.. you all should.. that way we can at least have things on the same page.. :D :D

Teegy
09-11-05, 12:14 PM
WHy do you need an extra hour of sun. just more time to waste when waiting to go out at night

Dakink
09-11-05, 12:25 PM
MAte DLS is awesome - its still warm and the sun is just starting to set when you head to the pub!!

You backward old QLD'ers can keep your none DLS - We will enjoy our extra evenings!

Titanium_BD1103
09-11-05, 12:54 PM
Yeah I enjoy the extra evenings too.. so much cooler.. :cool:

But I hate how everyone is on different time schedules.. that makes life difficult.. have one time zone for all.. :D

Teegy
09-11-05, 12:58 PM
So if Perth was to be the same as NSW then it woul be 10pm at perth and sun would just be setting. not logical. no need for daylight savings.

Titanium_BD1103
09-11-05, 01:02 PM
I don't care which way we go... I only care about everyone being on even time... Perth being the exception of course...

But even with Perth we should be no more than 2 hours behind IMO.. :D

Super Cronk
09-11-05, 01:03 PM
lol...does teegy like anything?

Teegy
09-11-05, 01:03 PM
So lets all change the world speed and make everything the same time to make TJ happy LoL

Super Cronk
09-11-05, 01:05 PM
Lmfao

Teegy
09-11-05, 01:05 PM
Yes i do Super Cronk but thats not the topic. i expressed antother opinion. is this not the place to do it

Super Cronk
09-11-05, 01:07 PM
Yes i do Super Cronk but thats not the topic. i expressed antother opinion. is this not the place to do it

i dont know your the mod around here

Teegy
09-11-05, 01:09 PM
Back to the topic. IMO DLS is one of the worst things. no need for changing the clocks to suit yourself.

Dakink
09-11-05, 01:10 PM
Keep on track here. Daylight Savings Discussions - not insults.

Dakink
09-11-05, 01:12 PM
So if Perth was to be the same as NSW then it woul be 10pm at perth and sun would just be setting. not logical. no need for daylight savings.

but Perth is Geographically 2 hours behind. QLD and NSW are on the same Lattitude. Make them QLD'ers come into line I say!!! ;)

Teegy
09-11-05, 01:13 PM
Why not the NSW people get rid of DLS. that would fix the problem

Dakink
09-11-05, 01:14 PM
But we love DLS!!!! And we have more people...

Super Cronk
09-11-05, 01:14 PM
why not we keep the DSL...you keep your normal time and we can all be happy as larry!

Teegy
09-11-05, 01:17 PM
why not we keep the DSL...you keep your normal time and we can all be happy as larry!
That wat i think

but it seems to be interupting the NSW peoples lifestyle

Dakink
09-11-05, 01:18 PM
There is that answer too!

Green Machine
09-11-05, 01:19 PM
100% for it.

Titanium_BD1103
09-11-05, 02:02 PM
LOL yeah and lets not have Daylight savings and live in a world of darkness in Sydney at 4pm...:D.. I think I agree to disagree on this one.. :)

Teegy
09-11-05, 02:23 PM
Agreed. but it would be dark at 4 would it??????????

Titanium_BD1103
09-11-05, 02:34 PM
Yeah, well it was for the last few weeks before DST here.. ;)

..::Coops::..
09-11-05, 04:00 PM
No way - 100% against DLS

all this talk about making us Queenslanders change our clocks to suit you southerners and then saying its too confusing having ifferent times.. well answer is don't have DLS, then you'll be the same time as us in Queensland and you wont have to go to the trouble of changing ur clocks and then changingthem back each year!!

Dakink
09-11-05, 04:10 PM
Or you could come into the 21st century with us...

Super Cronk
09-11-05, 04:15 PM
No way - 100% against DLS

all this talk about making us Queenslanders change our clocks to suit you southerners and then saying its too confusing having ifferent times.. well answer is don't have DLS, then you'll be the same time as us in Queensland and you wont have to go to the trouble of changing ur clocks and then changingthem back each year!!

trouble changing our clocks? it takes 3 seconds...lol

Titanium_BD1103
09-11-05, 04:35 PM
LOL actually mine take 2 minutes... all the clocks in the house need to be changed along with all my watches.. :D :D

But no.. you get the sun longer there.. we don't..I'd rather not be headed back from Uni and work at 4pm in the darkness thank you very much... ;)

Steve Dangerous
09-11-05, 04:47 PM
to be honest, i don't see the point. it's only an hour. why all the mucking around. if you want more sun, get up earlier.

Titanium_BD1103
09-11-05, 04:49 PM
I don't either Steve Dangerous.. except the fact that it is dark at 4pm.. if we wanted the extra sunlight.. we would all have to start work at 8am instead of 9am... then there would be uproar over that.. this is one of those things that is a no-win situation I am afraid.. :D

Steve Dangerous
09-11-05, 04:54 PM
But during the summer it doesn't get dark until 6-7pm here anyway. I don't really get the issue.

Steelers
09-11-05, 05:25 PM
I am undecided. I don't really care if we have it or not ATM.

Titanium_BD1103
09-11-05, 06:05 PM
But during the summer it doesn't get dark until 6-7pm here anyway. I don't really get the issue.

That is because of the fact that there is DST.. if there wasn't.. we would all be in darkness an hour earlier... so to get that extra summer light.. there was the decision to do DST.. but hey.. each to their own as I said.. :D :D

In-Cyde #1
09-11-05, 06:39 PM
I personally like DSL.
I don't have little kids or keep any cows on my quarter acre suburban block.

I do, however, feel for the people who live in NSW and work in Qld.
And for kids who go to school in Qld and live in NSW.
And the guy who is asked to come home from the pub in QLD by his NSW wife. You loose an hours drinking time !!!!!!

This must suck.

I suggest a SOO match between Non DSL Supporters & DSL Supporters, played on the border at Tweed with a starting time of QLD DSL and finshing time of NSW, this will keep the match short (40mins).

With the winner to decide if DSL is in or out.

Titanium_BD1103
09-11-05, 07:38 PM
I like that idea.. I'll captain the NSW DSL side.. LOL.. :D :D

Steve Dangerous
09-11-05, 07:56 PM
That is because of the fact that there is DST.. if there wasn't.. we would all be in darkness an hour earlier... so to get that extra summer light.. there was the decision to do DST.. but hey.. each to their own as I said.. :D :D

Well considering we don't have DST in QLD i doubt it's the reason for it. The days are naturally longer during summer, why mess around with clocks.

Titanium_BD1103
09-11-05, 08:04 PM
Well considering we don't have DST in QLD i doubt it's the reason for it. The days are naturally longer during summer, why mess around with clocks.

Yeah for you it is fine.. I live in NSW LOL.. :D .. so for us the sun sets earlier... so we need it.. I reckon this is one we will never solve.. so as I have said before lets agree to disagree.. ;)

I will just have to get use to talking to people and knowing the time is an hour behind mine or 3 hours if talking to Perth.. :D

Steelers
09-11-05, 08:47 PM
Yeah for you it is fine.. I live in NSW LOL.. :D .. so for us the sun sets earlier...

The sun actully sets later in NSW, even without DST

Teegy
09-11-05, 09:03 PM
Yeah for you it is fine.. I live in NSW LOL.. :D .. so for us the sun sets earlier... so we need it.. I reckon this is one we will never solve.. so as I have said before lets agree to disagree.. ;)

I will just have to get use to talking to people and knowing the time is an hour behind mine or 3 hours if talking to Perth.. :D
Your in the same timzone so it would only be 30 min earlier or later.

DIEHARD
09-11-05, 10:44 PM
Current sunrise and sunset in Brisbane.

Sunrise at 4:52 AM
Sunset at 6:13 PM

Perfect...

Dakink
10-11-05, 09:35 AM
Sunset at 6.13 pm and you call that perfect....

I would much prefer the sun setting at 7.13pm.

Teegy
10-11-05, 10:05 AM

But your not a farmer who works from sunrise to sunset. how would you like to finish work at 7:13 every night

Titans#1
10-11-05, 11:03 AM
But your not a farmer who works from sunrise to sunset. how would you like to finish work at 7:13 every night

But that works on both ends, it means he starts an hour later in the mornings.

Teegy
10-11-05, 11:22 AM
No farmer uis going to want to wake up an hour later. could u imagne coming home a 7:30 at night after working all day. you wouldn't be able to see and talk to your family. they go to bed most days before 8:30 so they can be right for the next day.

Shadow XL
10-11-05, 05:28 PM
I am all for it, i dont see why we dont have it now.

DIEHARD
11-11-05, 02:35 AM

It must be dark or starting to be dark when Neighbours is on or the world isn't right.

Eel 33
06-01-06, 10:09 AM
When I did live on the Tweed, the family lived on DST, worked on EST. No issue for me. Mum still gets confused even after living with it for the last 18 years.

If the reason for not having it was because Sir Joe was still alive and he totally opposed it, :angry: .

Fall in line with the rest of the eastern seaboard, or we may as well go back to being separate colonies of the 1800's.

Dragons
07-01-06, 09:24 PM
No it darker in the morning as you get the extra hour of sun in the afternoon.
Here in Brisbane when the sun rises say 4.45am and if we had daylight saving it would be 5.45 am ;) .

Go_The_Doggies
08-01-06, 12:47 PM
You ppl should be lucky you aint over here in NZ, we are 3 hours behind qld, like 6 hours behind perth...usually only like 5...but i love DLS...sorta...

So i wouldnt complain if i were you ppl:p

Cliffy GC
08-01-06, 01:12 PM
a clear yes from me

its crap when ure at work and ure head office is in sydney u have to make any calls before 4pm

Hindyscrack
10-01-06, 03:36 PM

The Sun actually rises later (time wise) with daylight savings... Hence why its sets later...

It is also a pain in the **** as the majority of major business dealings are done with sydney and melbourne, hence we lose 2 hours of business with these states

DIEHARD
10-01-06, 05:36 PM
Well maybe Sydney and Melbourne should change back.

NO DAYLIGHT SAVINGS! VIVA VIVA!

Hindyscrack
10-01-06, 05:40 PM
Get with the times Diehard, no one useses the sun at 5am. Its more useful in the evening.

This is why QLD is still stuck in the dark ages, smart state my ****.

DIEHARD
10-01-06, 05:42 PM
Get with the times Diehard, no one useses the sun at 5am. Its more useful in the evening.

Sun setting at 6:30pm suits me.

Shouldn't we be saving daylight in winter when there is less of it? hahaha

Queenslander
10-01-06, 05:42 PM

Hey now. We are the smart state and the people voted in a democratic way to decide against daylight saving. And the population was thinking about the farmers....its all about the farmers!

Thats a thing that i could never understand! :)

Hindyscrack
10-01-06, 05:47 PM
One thing i can't understand is why do the farmers care. They rise with the sun and cease work when it sets. So whats the big deal with what time it is for them, still the same amount of daylight. A concept i am sure they fail to understand.

Queenslander
10-01-06, 05:50 PM
One thing i can't understand is why do the farmers care. They rise with the sun and cease work when it sets. So whats the big deal with what time it is for them, still the same amount of daylight. A concept i am sure they fail to understand.

They understand it, but do us city people understand it. ;)

..::Coops::..
10-01-06, 07:39 PM

lol, totally agree diehard!!

~Wild Child~
25-10-06, 12:45 PM
For the Qlders out there( and for the other people, who do have daylight saving)...what are your thoughts on our state being the only one in Australia..which does'nt fall in line with all the other states by implementing daylight saving :(

I don't think it's fair for the Qlders to miss out :(

DIEHARD
25-10-06, 12:54 PM
I think the other states are the ones out of line. I hate daylight savings.

And shouldnt we be saving day light in winte when there is less of it...

zacaroo
25-10-06, 01:02 PM
For the Qlders out there( and for the other people, who do have daylight saving)...what are your thoughts on our state being the only one in Australia..which does'nt fall in line with all the other states by implementing daylight saving :(

I don't think it's fair for the Qlders to miss out :(

daylight savings would be mad get up an hour earlier and get an extra hour to muck round after school b4 it got dark

Titanium_BD1103
25-10-06, 01:15 PM
I know you wouldn't know this Michel, but back earlier this year DIEHARD created this same discussion and we had massive discussion on this, so I will merge the thread with that one... so you can read through what was said then... :)

For the Record, I reckon you Queenslander's should get into Daylight Savings, because it would make dealing with business transactions and stuff like that a lot easier... :)

Go_The_Doggies
25-10-06, 01:16 PM
I <3 daylight savings tbh..more sun!!..means more time outside IN the sun!!..w00t :D

Poida
25-10-06, 01:18 PM
then ACTs alright .
noone blamed them yet.
but im for daylight savings to keep going.
queensland gets heaps of light anyway , i think thats why they dont get it

Teegy
25-10-06, 01:28 PM
I think the other states are the ones out of line. I hate daylight savings.

And shouldnt we be saving day light in winte when there is less of it...

i agree. the farmers are the one that would be worst hit.

Titanium_BD1103
25-10-06, 01:32 PM
See Paddy raises the point well....

For QLD'ers, you get enough sun, so it ain't an issue if the day remains the same or not... and yes there is a serious issue of the farmers to deal about.

For everyone else, we like the sun and daylight savings enables us to get more time with it... and it also ensures we aren't driving home in the pitch darkness at night... so I guess this is an arguement that we will all have our views on and disagree with.

zacaroo
25-10-06, 01:33 PM
undecided really

Poida
25-10-06, 01:40 PM
yeh if they did have daylight savings what about those who go to bed at like 8 or 9.
plus itd be dark at like 7 or 8 in morning still.

Capital_Shark
25-10-06, 01:41 PM
I love day light savings time, looking forward to it starting soon. Does anyone know when its starts, by the way? I accidently unplugged by alarm clock about a month ago and when resetting it stuffed up and had it an hour fast, I'm lazy and have just adjusted to knowing its an hour fast, day light savings will solve this problem shortly.

I personally don't care what Queensland do about day light savings, it has no affected on me, I don't have to live there. Its good for Canberra, but its up to yous up north whether you want it or not. It may not suit Queensland like it does here.

Titanium_BD1103
25-10-06, 01:49 PM
This Sunday at 2am CS... that is when Daylight Savings starts and all expect for QLD at TAS, yes Tassie are already in Daylight Savings... have to move their clocks forward an hour.

Poida
25-10-06, 01:52 PM
ok ill change my clock on saturday when i go to bed

DIEHARD
25-10-06, 01:55 PM
No way Im getting up an hour earlier. Don't mess with time.

Titanium_BD1103
25-10-06, 02:01 PM

TBH DIEHARD, you don't really notice that you are getting up an hour earlier except on the first day... I mean it feels the same for me to get up at 7am now as it did when DST was on... so yeah it doesn't really make too much difference at all for me.

But I do agree it will mess with farmers, so there is that issue...

Capital_Shark
25-10-06, 02:02 PM

Be positive and think about the hours sleep in you get a few months down the track..

And cheers for that BDT, I hadn't heard a thing about it and couldn't remember whether it was this weekend or the weekend after.

~Wild Child~
25-10-06, 02:03 PM
Be positive and think about the hours sleep in you get a few months down the track..
:lol!:

Poida
25-10-06, 02:10 PM

And cheers for that BDT, I hadn't heard a thing about it and couldn't remember whether it was this weekend or the weekend after.
lol yeh 1 hour.
after that its the same

DIEHARD
25-10-06, 02:12 PM
Well at least my best buddy Beattie agrees with me.

Builds rugby league stadiums, upgrades others and hates daylight saving. :D

Nathalie
25-10-06, 03:21 PM
I'm going to be staying in a hotel in Tweed this Saturday night.

Should've said to the girl 'can you please just make it an even $200 since we're going to be losing an hour' :p

And, for those of you who think $209 is expensive (I've had people say that to me already :laugh:), keep in mind that it's Twin Towns, it's a Saturday night, and there'll be four of us sharing the cost. So about $50 each. And I think that's pretty damn good. :D

~Wild Child~
25-10-06, 03:35 PM
I'm going to be staying in a hotel in Tweed this Saturday night.

Should've said to the 'can you please just make it an even $200 since we're going to be losing an hour' :p

And, for those of you who think $209 is expensive (I've had people say that to me already :laugh:), keep in mind that it's Twin Towns, it's a Saturday night, and there'll be four of us sharing the cost. So about $50 each. And I think that's pretty damn good. :D
:rotflmao:
Hope you have a great time :D

Nathalie
25-10-06, 04:01 PM
:rotflmao:
Hope you have a great time :D

Ta Michel :) I plan to! Going there for my partner's uncle's 50th at Twin Towns Club, there'll be a LOT of people there, all Kiwis with Scottish heritage so it'll be a full-on Scottish-themed party! But I ain't touching that haggis. :hmm:

qld power
25-10-06, 04:18 PM
love dayl;ight savings this our 3 week of over here

jenny
25-10-06, 05:49 PM
TBH DIEHARD, you don't really notice that you are getting up an hour earlier except on the first day... I mean it feels the same for me to get up at 7am now as it did when DST was on... so yeah it doesn't really make too much difference at all for me.

But I do agree it will mess with farmers, so there is that issue...
Thats right TJ. you get that extra hour in our warm summer nights! And 1 hr extra Darkness of a morning! Hate it when it gets light to early :dead:
And the CURTAINS wont fade...no higher chance of getting skin cancer (like Qld Premier Beatty said to day) :roll: etc!!!! Maybe they should just have it in the South East Zone! It plays hell with the poor people on the border of Coolangatta and Tweed Heads.

Queenslander
25-10-06, 05:52 PM
Thats right TJ. you get that extra hour in our warm summer nights! And 1 hr extra Darkness of a morning! Hate it when it gets light to early :dead:
And the CURTAINS wont fade...no higher chance of getting skin cancer (like Qld Premier Beatty said to day) :roll: etc!!!! Maybe they should just have it in the South East Zone! It plays hell with the poor people on the border of Coolangatta and Tweed Heads.

If we have it in SEQ what about other parts of Queensland....it only moves the problem further North and West from the Tweed. If Queensland ever gets back Daylight savings then it should be for all of Queensland.

jenny
25-10-06, 05:58 PM
If we have it in SEQ what about other parts of Queensland....it only moves the problem further North and West from the Tweed. If Queensland ever gets back Daylight savings then it should be for all of Queensland.
But i heard today on the radio, they all dont want it Queenslander! When they had the Referendem they voted against it...but tide seems like its turning a touch! To be honest i don't care..but it is good i think! But if it's not allowed, it wont change my life one bit..i'll just draw the blinds of a morning! I was up at 3am this morning and it was breaking daylight by 4.15am!

Queenslander
25-10-06, 06:00 PM
But i heard today on the radio, they all dont want it Queenslander! When they had the Referendem they voted against it...but tide seems like its turning a touch! To be honest i don't care..but it is good i think! But if it's not allowed, it wont change my life one bit..i'll just draw the blinds of a morning! I was up at 3am this morning and it was breaking daylight by 4.15am!

Its all up to Peter Beattie, and he still sticks with the previous referendem results...so Queensland won't have daylight savings for a while yet :)

jenny
25-10-06, 06:03 PM
Its all up to Peter Beattie, and he still sticks with the previous referendem...so Queensland won't have daylight savings for a while yet :)
Good ole Pete! If the people may have changed their mind..to bad! :( and i voted for him too!But as i said, i'm cool with either decision. But i do think its good! :)

Grimmace
25-10-06, 06:05 PM
OH NOZ MY CURTIANS HAVE FADED WHAT AM I GOING TO DO ?

Seriously i think DST is great though but each state to their own

jenny
25-10-06, 06:07 PM
OH NOZ MY CURTIANS HAVE FADED WHAT AM I GOING TO DO ?

Seriously i think DST is great though but each state to their own
Get New Ones Grimmace :p

Grimmace
25-10-06, 06:08 PM
Get New Ones Grimmace :p
I thought of that but weho honestly cares if they fade or not they do the exact same thing. but I shall be sticking weith my faded curtains

SaRaH...
25-10-06, 06:14 PM
i love day light savings .. i wish it would hurry up and start so i dont get woken up at 5am from the sun ...

Hoppy2007Dragons
25-10-06, 06:50 PM
i liek the whole idea, it means i can relax outside with a cold beer for longer.

jenny
25-10-06, 07:23 PM
i liek the whole idea, it means i can relax outside with a cold beer for longer.
4 X Hoppy?? :beer:

Bernster
25-10-06, 08:17 PM

I hear ya dude:D :clap: ...I have never agreed with "The Smart State" crap at all....

It's Peter Beattie and the rest of the sooks that don't like Daylight Savings.

To be honest, I don't mind it at all and I hate when the sun rises at 5 am...

Poida
25-10-06, 08:25 PM
:lol!: im like you but id have bundy and coke

jenny
25-10-06, 08:32 PM
I hear ya dude:D :clap: ...I have never agreed with "The Smart State" crap at all....

It's Peter Beattie and the rest of the sooks that don't like Daylight Savings.

To be honest, I don't mind it at all and I hate when the sun rises at 5 am...
The Qld, Economy is kickin ass at the moment, compared to all the other states!
Lets be nice now! But i wish we had it up here, but as i said before, either way, it wont affect me! I had it in Sydney where i was born and loved it!

Grimmace
25-10-06, 08:33 PM
The Qld, Economy is kickin ass at the moment, compared to all the other states!
Lets be nice now! But i wish we had it up here, but as i said before, either way, it wont affect me! I had it in Sydney where i was born and loved it!
Yeah as Debnham ( Oppoistion leader for NSW) said its time for QLD to stop bludging off NSW

Hoppy2007Dragons
25-10-06, 08:51 PM
well ive never been much of a beer drinker, but latley since my 18th i have become quite fond of four x best beer i reckon, vb is crap, carlton mid tastes like crap at first but then is allright after first few mouthfulls. Carlton colds are nice as well.

obviously u can'tgo past your premium imported beers.

but on my budget i like 4 x, which is pretty unique for a welshman.

when i'm feelling rich i like crownies.

but i want more daylight hours to watch sunsets, chill with the mates and enjoy a few coldies and a nice barby and a good yarn.

comeon peter even youve got to enjoy that.

jenny
25-10-06, 08:53 PM
well ive never been much of a beer drinker, but latley since my 18th i have become quite fond of four x best beer i reckon, vb is crap, carlton mid tastes like crap at first but then is allright after first few mouthfulls. Carlton colds are nice as well.

obviously u can'tgo past your premium imported beers.

but on my budget i like 4 x, which is pretty unique for a welshman.

when i'm feelling rich i like crownies.

but i want more daylight hours to watch sunsets, chill with the mates and enjoy a few coldies and a nice barby and a good yarn.

comeon peter even youve got to enjoy that.
Hoppy i drank Crownies all day at Indy :dizzy:

Social Loafer
25-10-06, 09:13 PM
the old XXXX "beer" ((in Canberra that means something else) , maybe if QLD get with the times they will learn how to make decent beer....

jenny
25-10-06, 09:17 PM
the old XXXX "beer" ((in Canberra that means something else) , maybe if QLD get with the times they will learn how to make decent beer....
LOL!
I hail from Sydney...and i like XXXX MID STRENGTH, Big seller up here! .Tooheys is HUGE in Sydney!

Robbie_Dee
25-10-06, 09:27 PM
I don't know if I'd like daylight savings, i've never experienced it to know what its like. I like it just how it is, dont see how it would make much different.

jenny
25-10-06, 09:29 PM
I don't know if I'd like daylight savings, i've never experienced it to know what its like. I like it just how it is, dont see how it would make much different.
Robbie...If it gets dark at 7pm where you live...it will get dark at 8pm...
if it gets light at 4.30am...it will get light at 5.30am ;)

~Wild Child~
25-10-06, 09:30 PM
I lived in Canberra for nine years...There is a huge difference between having and not having daylight saving. After having it for nine years..then not having it..... really makes me appreciate it more. ;)

Titman
25-10-06, 09:32 PM
Bring on daylight savings

Robbie_Dee
29-10-06, 09:43 AM
So u NSW'ers, how does it feel????

Grimmace
29-10-06, 09:46 AM
Bloody good most of us including ACT and Vic like our extra hours heck even W.A is considering a trial this year.

DIEHARD
02-10-07, 12:15 AM
Bligh says no to daylight saving referendum

PREMIER Anna Bligh has ruled out holding a referendum on daylight saving after Government research found Queenslanders are still deeply divided on the issue.

In June, former premier Peter Beattie commissioned research into whether Queenslanders had changed their views on daylight saving since the vote 15 years ago.
Ms Bligh today said cabinet had considered the research.

She said while there was a clear majority of people in favour of daylight saving statewide, there was only 36 per cent support for it outside the south-east corner.

"In light of these results cabinet has resolved that the Queensland government will not be supporting daylight saving for Queensland nor will we be going to a referendum," she said.

Ms Bligh said the government had also rejected a trial of a zonal system which would have involved the south-east moving to daylight saving.

The decision was expected after a Galaxy Poll, conducted for The Courier-Mail, has revealed daylight saving is less popular than it was in 2005.

Those in favour are divided on whether daylight saving should cover the entire state or be split, with the southeast on the new time zone and the remainder staying the same.

It comes as Cabinet today is set to consider its own research into daylight saving in Queensland, which will form the basis of Ms Bligh's decision on whether to conduct a referendum or trial on the issue.

She yesterday ruled out daylight saving this year because with clocks to be wound forward in most other states on October 28, Queenslanders would have no time to prepare.

And in a sign Labor may abandon the referendum proposal, Ms Bligh said the Government was unlikely to push ahead if its own research mirrored Galaxy's findings.

"These results are not the basis to which you would take the matter to a referendum," Ms Bligh said.

According to the poll of 800 people across the state, 51 per cent are in favour of daylight saving, with 44 per cent against and 5 per cent uncommitted.

The strongest support was in Brisbane (63 per cent) and on the Gold and Sunshine coasts (63 per cent), while support throughout the rest of the state was much weaker (31 per cent).

The results reveal an increase in the number of people against daylight saving since The Courier-Mail last conducted a poll on the issue in 2005.

On splitting the state's time zone, 29 per cent of people said they either would prefer that or be willing to consider it. One in three (32 per cent) favoured winding the clocks forward across the entire state.

Ms Bligh, an avid personal supporter of daylight saving, said the results were not surprising as the issue had always divided the state ? particularly between those living within the southeast corner and those outside.

"What is interesting in these results is that those in the southeast are also divided in their views about a statewide daylight saving versus a zonal system," she said.

Coalition leader Jeff Seeney urged Ms Bligh to abandon the Government's latest flirtation with daylight saving, saying the Galaxy Poll proved it did not stack up.

"As a basic principle, when you have an even split you maintain the status quo," Mr Seeney said.

He said the poll results also debunked the theory that people moving from interstate had significantly shifted support in favour of daylight saving.

http://www.news.com.au

Social Loafer
02-10-07, 05:13 PM
Get with the times QLD (Pardon the pun :p )

Coaster
02-10-07, 05:59 PM
I am all for it, i have to get up an extra hour early anyway, as most of our jobs are over the border(Tweed), then still have to finish with Queensland at the same time.

Hoppy2007Dragons
02-10-07, 06:17 PM
I"m glad it wasn't passed.

Being from country stock and visiting quite often, after a long day working, you can't wait for the sun to go down.

Whilst its not that much of a problem in the se corner, i'm opposed to splitting the state into two time zones.

DIEHARD
03-10-07, 05:43 AM
Gold Coast may defy Bligh on daylight saving

THE Gold Coast is considering defying the the State Government and going it alone on daylight saving.

Gold Coast Mayor Ron Clarke is seeking legal advice about whether the tourist strip could have its own time zone after the Government controversially ruled out a daylight saving referendum, despite a majority of Queenslanders supporting it.

Coast business and tourism leaders joined Cr Clarke in condemning Premier Anna Bligh's decision to reject a referendum, daylight saving trial or southeast corner zonal system. Ms Bligh justified the decision on Government-commissioned research showing minority support for daylight saving outside the state's southeast.

A frustrated Cr Clarke said he had asked the city solicitor to investigate the legality of the Gold Coast going it alone on daylight saving.

He said ideally, southeast Queensland would introduce daylight saving under the banner of the Council of Mayors.

"But in the end, we (the Gold Coast) are affected the most and if we have to make the tough decision, so be it," Cr Clarke said.

"It's a decision we have to make. It (daylight saving) has to happen eventually."

Cr Clarke's comments were echoed by outspoken councillor Dawn Crichlow who spearheaded a council resolution several years ago allowing Tweed Heads-based council staff to work daylight saving hours.

Cr Crichlow said daylight saving would not only have major social and economic benefits ? it would also significantly reduce power and greenhouse gas emissions.

"It's a really stupid decision by the Government ? the people want daylight saving," she said.

The Gold Coast's powerful licensed venues sector said it would support any move by the Gold Coast to go it alone.

"It's just ridiculous, absolutely ludicrous, that the Premier can bow to the wishes of the minority," Gold Coast Licensed Venues spokesman Jim Bell said. "The majority want it and we should have it."

Gold Coast Tourism chief executive Pavan Bhatia said the multibillion-dollar tourism industry would fight the Government's decision.

"There's lot of investment in this town that is dependant on something called sunlight," Mr Bhatia said.

He also said the tourism industry had failed to lobby the Government on daylight saving and needed to prepare a detailed financial case.

Government polling this week showed that 51 per cent of respondents statewide supported the adoption of daylight saving ? a level that increased to 63 per cent in the southeast corner. Support throughout the rest of the state, however, was much weaker at 31 per cent.

Nathalie
03-10-07, 06:44 AM
Only thing is, people living in Tweed and working on the QLD side of the Gold Coast is the same thing as people living on the QLD side of the Gold Coast and working in Brisbane. So if the Gold Coast had daylight saving then Brisbane would have to, too. Bring it on, I say!!

Steve
03-10-07, 07:34 AM
I hate daylight saving, that was one thing about moving to Queensland I enjoyed, the lack of it.

It totally screws with my body clock, and seriously, it's freakin' hot in summer. Most people want to get out of the sun and somewhere cooler, and it stays light much later anyhow. There's no need for it. It's a pleasure to be out and about once the sun is down.

DIEHARD
03-10-07, 07:39 AM
Daylight savings sucks. I don't want to get out of bed an hour earlier.

I'm glad we don't have it, I don't like messing with the timezones. Just leave it.

I still stand by that daylight savings is needed more in winter anyway, where there is less daylight.

Im glad Bligh has ruled it out. We have survived without it for 15 years, time to focus on some real issues.

I agree with Steve, we already have enough day light, till 6:30pm is fantastic. Plenty.

DIEHARD
03-10-07, 11:33 AM
Queensland should have two time zones - PM

QUEENSLAND Premier Anna Bligh should have split the state into two time zones to allow daylight saving, Prime Minister John Howard says.

Ms Bligh this week rejected the introduction of daylight saving statewide and ruled out a separate time zone in the southeast corner.

State government research found support for daylight savings was high in the state's populated southeast corner, while regional areas were strongly opposed to the time change.

However, Mr Howard today said there was no reason the state could not be split into two time zones.

"The pragmatic way of handling this is to really treat different parts of the state differently," Mr Howard said on ABC radio.

"My view is that southeast Queensland and the rest of eastern Australia should be on the same time.

"I think it would be more convenient. But there's no reason why you couldn't have some other arrangement in the more distant parts and the northern parts of the state."

Mr Howard said the far western NSW town of Broken Hill, which observes South Australian time, was an example of how it could be done.

C-Whiz
03-10-07, 09:24 PM
I'd say split QLD into 2 time zones. It seems to me, generally, that SEQ are pretty keen on it, and FNQ not so impressed with the idea. Working on/across the border is bloody hopeless. The argument of not wanting to adjust "bodyclock" is not valid if you need to work in NSW anyway. I love having an extra hour to do things after work, go for a swim etc. If you need to sleep, buy thicker curtains. The ones you've got will fade quicker anyway when it comes in. ;)

hugebrianfan
03-10-07, 11:00 PM
im not really sure but i'll say yes

Steve
03-10-07, 11:58 PM
I live in Qld and work in Qld, so it's quite valid for me!

There is no extra hour to do anything, still only 24 hours in a day. It's a lot more pleasant to do things once the sun has gone down though!

Infact, it's a bonus working in one time zone and living in another.
If you work in NSW, you finish work at five, come home, it's only four, and shops are still open, even if the banks aren't!

Teegy
04-10-07, 08:31 AM
if you split QLd then its only moving the problem. i cannot stand DLS except it moves pay tv 1 hr earlier. if they have so many problems with it on the border then get rid of it. why mess with the current time zones

PROMETHEUS
04-10-07, 09:01 PM
I'd say split QLD into 2 time zones. It seems to me, generally, that SEQ are pretty keen on it, and FNQ not so impressed with the idea. Working on/across the border is bloody hopeless. The argument of not wanting to adjust "bodyclock" is not valid if you need to work in NSW anyway. I love having an extra hour to do things after work, go for a swim etc. If you need to sleep, buy thicker curtains. The ones you've got will fade quicker anyway when it comes in. ;)

The only problem with that is your still going to have a border..
As i live (unfortunately) in NSW i dont have a problem with Daylight Saving,it makes me feel like im living in QLD.

DIEHARD
05-10-07, 04:27 AM
I think its good to be different, don't bow to peer pressure Queensland.

C-Whiz
05-10-07, 08:11 AM
I think its good to be different, don't bow to peer pressure Queensland.

I hope you're not suggesting NSW are our peers? :nope:

Anywayz DIEHARD, judging by the times on some of your posts, your up before the sun most days anyway! ;)

DIEHARD
05-10-07, 08:54 AM
Haha sometimes sometimes.

Massive_Weno
05-10-07, 09:15 AM
personnally i am against daylight savings. And Teegy sums it up perfectly
if they have so many problems with it on the border then get rid of it. why mess with the current time zones

Pretty sure that these were the time zones set and i really dont understand why there is so much pressure on Queensland to conform. We are just living life the way it was meant to.

And on a ridiculous side note.......as if i want to adjust all the clocks in my house twice a year, WHY go to all that effort for an extra houre of sunlight?!?!?! i thought weekends were for families to go to the beach and enjoy the weathers pleasures.

Old Diehard
05-10-07, 04:50 PM
I really don't give a toss because I work abnormal hours anyway....

BUT I would never like to see Queensland being divided on time lines say SEQ and the rest of the State because Brisbane has all the head offices for State Govt & Commonwealth Govt offices in Qld, banks have their head offices here etc!

We are either all in it together or not - but no diversion of the State! We are all Queenslanders (luckily!)..

DIEHARD
05-10-07, 05:09 PM
Thats a good sentiment Old Diehard. I agree, Queensland should never ever be devided, one in all in.

C-Whiz
06-10-07, 08:04 AM
Thats a good sentiment Old Diehard. I agree, Queensland should never ever be devided, one in all in.

Fair enough guys, but if we take that to it's logical conclussion, then shouldn't it be one in, all in for whatever the majority want?

And to Massive Weno.... mate, firstly if it's that much effort to change times on your clocks....well, how are you going to be, going around pulling back your curtains for an extra hour every day to stop them fading? ;)

And mate, daylight saving won't stop people having weekends off to go to the beach. Workchoices does that already!

Everyone has an opinion on DLS, but where do people come up with some of these reasons?????

DIEHARD
06-10-07, 08:10 AM
And mate, daylight saving won't stop people having weekends off to go to the beach. Workchoices does that!

Hahaha and don't forget public holidays!

DIEHARD
09-10-07, 05:08 PM
Delighted to hear Anna Bligh in parliament today declare her government's stance on Daylight Savings and that her government will not be revisiting the issue.

So it is buried especially considering he coalition at Queensland state level leaves a lot to be desired at the moment.

:woot:

C-Whiz
09-10-07, 05:24 PM
Delighted to hear Anna Bligh in parliament today declare her government's stance on Daylight Savings and that her government will not be revisiting the issue.

So it is buried especially considering he coalition at Queensland state level leaves a lot to be desired at the moment.

:woot:

Being the TITANS #1 ticket holder you'd think she would have checked our poll before making such a rash decision! ;)

Social Loafer
09-10-07, 05:32 PM
Well the Poll has are you for or against, yet has a Yes or no voting options :laugh:

Capital_Shark
09-10-07, 06:10 PM
Well the Poll has are you for or against, yet has a Yes or no voting options :laugh:

:rolf: thats classic.

DIEHARD
09-10-07, 06:26 PM
Hahahahaha good one, we should carry alot of weight now days! :clap:

Social Loafer
28-10-07, 07:27 PM
**Bump**

Hour ahead and loving it.

I think I updated all my clocks....

Capital_Shark
28-10-07, 07:30 PM
**Bump**

Hour ahead and loving it.

I think I updated all my clocks....

I only had to update my watch. Foxtel and my phone fix themselves, and I never bothered turning my alarm clock back when the last daylight savings ended.

Daylight savings is great though. Can't wait to still BBQing and drinking after 8PM with the sun still up.

Social Loafer
28-10-07, 07:35 PM
Shame about our curtains fading.... But thats the risk you have to take with daylight savings.

Queenslander
28-10-07, 07:38 PM
Shame about our curtains fading.... But thats the risk you have to take with daylight savings.

Shutup future (well one hour ahead) boy :P

Social Loafer
28-10-07, 07:41 PM
Can't wait to welcome in the new year... Can't believe that the backwards state of South Australia will get to celebrate it before your mob.

DIEHARD
28-10-07, 07:56 PM
Loving our untinkered timeline up here in sunny Queensland.

DIEHARD
29-10-07, 03:58 AM
Daylight saving is a health risk

DAYLIGHT saving time may be bad for your health according to scientists from Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitat Munchen in Germany.

The human body is ruled by an internal timekeeper that evolved to keep our bodies in tune with the sun, so by fixing the time, all humans are doing is disrupting their natural cycles, say researchers, making people more vulnerable to disease.

With Western Australia winding its clocks back on Sunday, this new evidence can only strengthen the Opposition?s bid to end its daylight saving time trial.

?Normally our body clock adjusts to the seasons of the sun. What we find at daylight saving time is that this exact adjustment is being interrupted. The body?s annual rhythms are going down the drain,? said Till Roenneberg, Professor of Chronobiology, whose findings are published this week in the scientific journal Current Biology.

?This means the body?s biological systems can?t adjust to things such as climate changes and parasites, so it's possible that we are more likely to get diseases.?

Prof Roenneberg?s team examined the sleep patterns of 55,000 people and discovered that when people woke on their day off during standard time, the timing of their sleep followed the seasonal progression of dawn. However when daylight saving was introduced this was not the case.

?We found that the body clock does not go back with the one hour time change,? said Prof Roenneberg. "Therefore during daylight saving time people are getting up earlier because of social schedules however they don?t feel like sleeping earlier because their body clock isn?t ready for rest."

Exposure to sunlight keeps the human clock on track through a series of chemical reactions. At dawn the body gears up to begin activity and at night slows down to make it sleep.

?By winding the clocks forward are bodies are expected to react to the environment when it is less prepared,? said Russell Foster, Professor of Circadian Neuroscience at the University of Oxford in England. ?The body and therefore the immune system are not yet fully functioning.?

In a second study the daily activities of 50 people were monitored during the transition into daylight saving in the spring and when reverting back to standard time in the autumn. The team discovered that people are most active at the same time every day regardless of what the clocks say.

Sleep and wake cycles vary from person to person. Those who tend to be more active at night and sleep later in the morning, called ?owls?, were shown to be more greatly affected by the forward move of the clock.

?Daylight saving is against the natural tendencies of evening types,? said Leon Lack, Professor of Psychology at Flinders University, adding that men were more likely to fall into this group.

Prof Lack warned that health implications were speculative at this stage.

?It could have an effect on health. I doubt that it?s a big enough change to prove anything, but it is interesting to note that if you tend to be an owl and like to stay up late, going onto daylight savings would be more of a stress,? he said.

Australia was one of the first countries in the world to adopt daylight saving. It was first implemented in 1917 during World War I to save fuel by cutting down on artificial lighting, but it was so unpopular it was abandoned that same year.

RLfan
29-10-07, 07:50 AM
QLD doesn't need DLS, I was up at 4.30am, and it was bright even with all the rain pissing down.

Ah Queensland, we have natural DLS.

Old Diehard
29-10-07, 10:35 AM
QLD doesn't need DLS, I was up at 4.30am, and it was bright even with all the rain pissing down.

Ah Queensland, we have natural DLS.

Yeah and I saw a story in yesterday's Sunday Mail which was generally an editorial favouring Day Light Savings and beside the story showed a picture of people surfing at 5:30am in full light! I love the beach at that time of the day in Summer and if I lived full time at the Coast a surf before work at 8:00 am would be a magic way to start the day!

Holidays - I' m there! Doing exactly that!

Kelvinator
29-10-07, 11:41 AM
Ah Queensland, we have natural DLS

DLS would mean that the sun would come up and go down an hour later.

Not sure, but it sounds like you're saying that DLS means we would recieve more sun in the morning????

Correct me if i'm wrong though.

RLfan
29-10-07, 01:13 PM
DLS would mean that the sun would come up and go down an hour later.

Not sure, but it sounds like you're saying that DLS means we would recieve more sun in the morning????

Correct me if i'm wrong though.

Yeah I was just tring to say QLD has sun out early anyway. Well at least a bit earlier than the other Eastern states.

Capital_Shark
29-10-07, 02:03 PM
Yeah I was just tring to say QLD has sun out early anyway. Well at least a bit earlier than the other Eastern states.

Its because QLD doesn't have daylight savings that the sun is up at 4:30AM. With daylight savings if the sun rose at 4:30AM and went down at say 7PM - it'd change to sun up at 5:30AM and down at 8PM. Basically DLS has nothing to do with making more sunlight in the morning.

DIEHARD
29-10-07, 06:09 PM
Down at 8pm... get out of here!

Capital_Shark
29-10-07, 06:22 PM
Down at 8pm... get out of here!

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

DIEHARD
29-10-07, 06:38 PM
I have a few rules to live by, one is that it should not be dark outside after Neighbours is over, Premier Anna Bligh shares this rule.

RLfan
29-10-07, 07:08 PM
Its because QLD doesn't have daylight savings that the sun is up at 4:30AM. With daylight savings if the sun rose at 4:30AM and went down at say 7PM - it'd change to sun up at 5:30AM and down at 8PM. Basically DLS has nothing to do with making more sunlight in the morning.

No I mean at all times, I remember making a work call to ugh Melbourne about 5 weeks ago at around 5am where it was brightish here and getting *****ed at because the sun wasn't up.

And I doubt Melbournes' silly weather pattens are that great.

hugebrianfan
29-10-07, 07:28 PM
to tell you the truth i dont really know, it can be annoying when you want to sleep though

Old Diehard
29-10-07, 09:39 PM

Hey Capital - the closer you get to the equator the quicker the sun sets (you get the long twilights the further South you go.)

But yeah the Sun is up here at 5:00am- Leave Canberra and move up here and you too can hit the beach and you have an hour to have a dip before work..Finish work and sink a few pots to cool off ! That's the life! (ooops what am I doing encouraging more immigrants! - no stay where you are and watch the long twilight sun over lake Burleigh Griffith instead! )

DIEHARD
29-10-07, 10:29 PM
At least Capital Shark would be a rugby league loving immigrant and Im pretty sure he is partial to the Maroons.

Capital_Shark
29-10-07, 10:35 PM
Hey Capital - the closer you get to the equator the quicker the sun sets (you get the long twilights the further South you go.)

But yeah the Sun is up here at 5:00am- Leave Canberra and move up here and you too can hit the beach and you have an hour to have a dip before work..Finish work and sink a few pots to cool off ! That's the life! (ooops what am I doing encouraging more immigrants! - no stay where you are and watch the long twilight sun over lake Burleigh Griffith instead! )

lol I'm not a morning person so maybe the long twilights of the South are suited to me.

At least Capital Shark would be a rugby league loving immigrant and Im pretty sure he is partial to the Maroons.

Right on one account, I would be a rugby league loving immigrant. Partial to the Maroons though is a bit of an understatement.

Social Loafer
29-10-07, 10:44 PM
Don't knock the lake, you'd all kill for a giant jet fountain like that and you know it!!
For the Record it is Griffin too :)

http://www.cuyamaca.edu/therese.botz/Australia%20Photo%20Journal/Canberra%20019%20Lake%20Fountain.jpg

The Beautiful Lake
http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/attachments/7/1/2/4/2/t829062-44-thumb-LAKE%20BURLEY.jpg
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3726809/2/istockphoto_3726809_lake_burley_griffin_canberra.j pg

I'll have to hire a kayak this summer and have a relaxing paddle around the place. :)

".. We got a Lake, and the Raiders, oh Canberra is Wonderful"

Old Diehard
29-10-07, 11:05 PM
Right on one account, I would be a rugby league loving immigrant. Partial to the Maroons though is a bit of an understatement.

WELCOME BROTHER!

DIEHARD
29-10-07, 11:45 PM
I think we should just swear him in Old Diehard.

Social Loafer
29-10-07, 11:49 PM
CS is loyal to Canberra.

Try recruiting from a crap city like Sydney.