PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Nations: Lockyer to fullback? (Rumour)

DeeGan
17-10-05, 09:07 PM
Tri-Nations: Lockyer to fullback? (Rumour)

I am not looking to incite a rumour that borders on Rebecca Wilson like in this thread though I did have an interesting conversation this evening with a mate of mine who is hearing Darren Lockyer will be moved to fullback making way for Trent Barrett.

Anthony Minichello would replace Timana Tahu and Brent Tate will not play making way for Cooper who is playing on a 'promise' from Bennett.

The backline will apparently be:

1 - Darren Lockyer (c)
2 - Anthony Minichello
3 - Matt Cooper
4 - Mark Gasnier
5 - Matt King
6 - Trent Barrett
7 - Andrew Johns

Well, I will leave it at that given this is possibly only another rumour that comes about around selection time so people can claim 'I told you so' once it is confirmed.

We'll see, I cannot see Bennett moving his captain though the backline in saying that does look as strong if not stronger.

Cheers

DeeGan

Steelers
17-10-05, 09:10 PM
Tri-Nations: Lockyer to fullback? (Rumour)

I am not looking to incite a rumour that borders on Rebecca Wilson like in this thread though I did have an interesting conversation this evening with a mate of mine who is hearing Darren Lockyer will be moved to fullback making way for Trent Barrett.

Anthony Minichello would replace Timana Tahu and Brent Tate will not play making way for Cooper who is playing on a 'promise' from Bennett.

The backline will apparently be:

1 - Darren Lockyer (c)
2 - Anthony Minichello
3 - Matt Cooper
4 - Mark Gasnier
5 - Matt King
6 - Trent Barrett
7 - Andrew Johns

Well, I will leave it at that given this is possibly only another rumour that comes about around selection time so people can claim 'I told you so' once it is confirmed.

We'll see, I cannot see Bennett moving his captain though the backline in saying that does look as strong if not stronger.

Cheers

DeeGan

I have been hearing this on alot of other forums and people on other forums have been calling for it as soon as the squad was named. It would be a great move but I do not see Bennett doing it. To have a backline like that, it IS truly unstoppable.

PARANoIR
17-10-05, 09:33 PM
It is a much better backline. Lockyer can captain the side from Fullback as he has a bloke called Johns at halfback who has captained Australia before, another bloke called Buderus at hooker whos captained origin, aswell as Trent Barrett who is another good leader and club captain, and you throw Steve Price in aswell who is quite possibly the best captain in the game.

Lockyer at fullback won't be an issue with the captaincy.

Hindy_Magic
17-10-05, 09:38 PM
good backrow if Australia are in a position of winning the series no matter what possible putting tim smith at half back.

Inferno
17-10-05, 10:33 PM
I don't believe it for 1 second. If it was such a good idea, why wouldn't Benny have done it at his own club?

and as for Tate going to wing and Cooper playing centre, it begs the question why the hell was Tate selected at Centre for the first game?

Lockyer will still be singled out from fullback anyway.

A bad idea IMO

Super Cronk
17-10-05, 10:34 PM
I don't believe it for 1 second. If it was such a good idea, why wouldn't Benny have done it at his own club?

and as for Tate going to wing and Cooper playing centre, it begs the question why the hell was Tate selected at Centre for the first game?

A bad idea IMO

Exactly..people have said that lockyers defence is crap....well errr you dont want a crap defender as a fullback ethier!

Inferno
17-10-05, 10:37 PM
True but a 5/8 makes a lot more tackles than a fullback.

Best bet would be to defend him on the wing, or throw him next to fitzgibbon or Hindmarsh.

Super Cronk
17-10-05, 10:41 PM
True but a 5/8 makes a lot more tackles than a fullback.

Best bet would be to defend him on the wing, or throw him next to fitzgibbon or Hindmarsh.

fullback is last line of defence tho and on most occasions doesnt have anyone to help. where as a 5/8 has players ethier side of him that can help and plus has a fullback there to cover if the player does get through. A team might get passed the 5/8 but then get tackled...if you get passed the fullback its a try.

DeeGan
17-10-05, 10:43 PM

A bad idea IMO

Well Bennett does not have a five-eight the calibre of Barrett to fill the club role now does he? I am not sure comparing the Australian team Bennett is coaching to that of the Brisbane team is going to get you answers.

Again, this is only a rumour and 9 times out of 10 they are just that. I don't see it happening either to be honest though I wanted to post it to get members opinions.

super cronk, Lockyer at fullback was quite good defensively as he was the best positional fullback the modern game had come across. That, combined with a closing speed to second to none ensured not much got past Lockyer as a fullback. See 2003 S.O.O. cover tackle on Michael Devere.

The tone in your post suggests we are talking about any ol' player moving to fullback, it would be a tragedy to think some have forgotten about what he brought to any team as a fullback.

My father who has seen most of the modern day great fullbacks rates him the equal of any and perhaps ahead of Langlands and Churchill in the position.

DeeGan

Inferno
17-10-05, 10:49 PM
fullback is last line of defence tho and on most occasions doesnt have anyone to help. where as a 5/8 has players ethier side of him that can help and plus has a fullback there to cover if the player does get through. A team might get passed the 5/8 but then get tackled...if you get passed the fullback its a try.

Yeah but the issue isin't his technique, at 5/8 he is being singled out and is forced to do a lot of work. A lot harder to single out a fullback except for kicking down their throat everytime and thats fraught with danger in itself when its lockyer.

Inferno
17-10-05, 10:53 PM
The tone in your post suggests we are talking about any ol' player moving to fullback, it would be a tragedy to think some have forgotten about what he brought to any team as a fullback.

My father who has seen most of the modern day great fullbacks rates him the equal of any and perhaps ahead of Langlands and Churchill in the position.

DeeGan

Not at all Deegan, without a doubt he is one of the greatest fullbacks of all time. I just don't think throwing him back their and shifting the whole backline to accomodate him is the answer. If he had difficulty gelling with johns at 5/8 I think there will be even more problems as a ball playing fullback. Although if Barrett was there Lockyer would take a much smaller role anyway.

A connundrum to be sure, glad Im not in Benny's shoes right now.

DeeGan
17-10-05, 11:05 PM
Not directed at you Inferno.

Just one thing there though, I am not sure Lockyer would become a ball playing fullback more so a running fullback.

Lockyer is a better ball runner than ball player for mine and the freedom at the back made him the most dangerous player in the game bar none as he was fresh for 80 minutes with limited work in defence.

I still see Lockyer at 6, Johns at 7 with the possibility of Barrett to lock much the way we accomodated Daley, Fittler and Langer/Stuart.

DeeGan

Super Cronk
17-10-05, 11:08 PM
Im fully aware of lockyer's defence capabilities and how he went at fullback. But that wasnt my opinion. Other people are saying he has crap defence...i dont think tis all that bad and i thought he had a decent game with the amount of chances he had on saturday.

And just like inferno said i dont think this change is the answer .