PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Nations 06: Game Three; Kiwis vs Lions

Queenslander
23-10-06, 08:26 AM
Tri-Nations 2006: Game Three

http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/kiwis.gif NEW ZEALAND KIWIS vs http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/grtbritan.gif GREAT BRITAIN LIONS
Saturday 28 October, 8.00PM; Jade Stadium

Referee: Paul Simpkins

Team Notes:

Kiwis

Tri-Nations 06 Stats: Wins: 0 Losses: 2; Points For: 33 Points Against: 50

Are the defending champions of the Tri-Nations tournament.

Were defeated 20 - 15 by the Kanagaroos last round

Brian McClennan today made four changes for the Tri-Nations rugby league Test with Great Britain in Christchurch on Saturday night.

Two were forced, with wing Shontayne Hape and centre Steve Matai ruled out with injuries picked up in the 20-15 loss to Australia in Melbourne last Saturday.

Tame Tupou has been named to replace Hape, with the experienced Nigel Vagana moving from five eighth to centre and Jerome Ropati partnering Stacey Jones in the halves.

McCleannan named Frank Pritchard to replace Tony Puletua in the second row.

Lions

Tri-Nations 06 Stats: Wins: 0 Losses: 0; Points For: 0 Points Against: 0

First match in the 06 Tri-Nations tournament

Great Britain coach Brian Noble has named his side for the first Tri-Nations hit-out against New Zealand in Christchurch this Saturday.

The Lions will be looking to build on their opening trial performance in Newcastle at the weekend, which they won 40-6, when they face a desperate Kiwi's side yet to register a win in the tournament after a heart-breaking loss to Australia at Telstra Dome.

http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/kiwis.gifKIWIS

Brent Webb
Tame Tupou
Nigel Vagana
Iosia Soliola
Manu Vatuvei
Jerome Ropati
Stacey Jones
Ruben Wiki (c)
Nathan Fien
Roy Asotasi
David Kidwell
Frank Pritchard
Simon Mannering

Interchange:

Motu Tony
Nathan Cayless
Jason Cayless
David Fa'alogo
Adam Blair

http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/grtbritan.gifLIONS

Paul Wellens
Brian Carney
Martin Gleeson
Keith Senior
Leon Pryce
Danny McGuire
Sean Long
Stuart Fielden
Terry Newton
Adrian Morley
Jamie Pea**** (c)
Gareth Ellis
Sean O'Loughlin

Interchange:

James Roby
Garreth Carvell
Gareth Hock
Lee Gilmour
Jon Wilkin

***Please use this thread for Tri Nations Game Two information and game day spoilers***

zacaroo
23-10-06, 09:02 AM
can't wait and see how nz go, they played well last week and might be able to catch g/b off guard..

Robbie_Dee
23-10-06, 09:03 AM
yeah i think that NZ will come out strong, if they continue their from over, they should go pretty good.

zacaroo
23-10-06, 09:09 AM
i would like to see the great britain team that is going to be selected as i think they will face a really tough task

Queenslander
23-10-06, 10:44 AM
No weak links here, claims Noble
By Ray Chesterton
October 23, 2006

GREAT BRITAIN coach Brian Noble says his team is not the weak link in this year's Tri-Nations series despite the impressive form of Australia and New Zealand.

Noble said his forwards, led by powerful prop Stuart Fielden, can match the power and size of opposing packs and had backs who could be match winners.

"We won't be intimidated by size or physical prowess," Noble said. "We have some big athletic units."

The Lions are facing a credibility test in the Tri-Nations after failing to make last year's final.

Failure this year will corrode their claims to be one of the top two sides in rugby league.

Noble said they were aware of the difficulties they faced in the series, including disruptive travel schedules and having to play an opening round against the match-hardened Kiwis this weekend.

He said the same thing happened last year and the loss to a Kiwi side that had already played two matches, had been a major setback.

"This year we've had the Newcastle game (last Friday night) and preparation during the season to get us more up to speed than last year," he said.

"Adrian Morley says we are the fittest group of people he's worked with in an international side.

"We're a good team of footballers but we have to hit the ground running."

Noble said last Saturday night's Australia-NZ clash was a 'bashathon between two very big physical teams".

"They were also very skilled. We have to watch that as well," he added. Noble said some of his team had not played for six weeks and were rusty with the ball at training.

"But we're up for a tough challenge," he said.

Australia's consecutive wins against the Kiwis should ensure they make the final, leaving the Kiwis and Great Britain chasing the other spot.

"For us to be successful we've got five Test matches on the run against the two best sides in the world," Noble said.

"Any team can beat the others on the day and we just have to make sure we will be competitive."

The Lions will look to 115kg Fielden to lead the way.

"He's a bit of a beast in terms of size but he's a good athlete as well," Noble said.

"He likes to play 80 minutes each week and he's very determined."

The Daily Telegraph

Go_The_Doggies
23-10-06, 10:45 AM
Injury headaches for Kiwis
Oct 23, 2006

The Kiwis have touched down in Christchurch ahead of Saturday's Tri Nations league test against Great Britain.

But there's already a lingering injury headaches, stemming from the weekend's heartbreaking lost to the Kangaroos in Melbourne.

Shontayne Hape is battling a knee problem, which he sustained in the opening minute on Saturday but played through.

Meanwhile competition for places is sure to be heat up at training this week, with UK based Motu Tony and Jason Cayless back from the Superleague and hoping to push for a start.

Kiwis Assistant coach Tony Iro says the duo joined the squad earlier in the week and have been in the camp for the last three days.

He says they'll be well over their jet lag and raring to go.

Tony Iro says while Hape's the only major injury concern, centre Steve Matai does have a tender shoulder but they're hopeful he'll be fine.

Source: Newstalk ZB

Go_The_Doggies
23-10-06, 10:45 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *cries*

Man i'm so gutted, Shontayne was one of our best on Saturday night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tame best play well. :p

Capital_Shark
23-10-06, 11:05 AM
After the Kiwi's performance last Saturday I can see this being a long night at the office for the Poms. Hopefully the Poms have done some work on burning out before 80 minutes is up and we can have some decent competition. I'd like to see Britain get up though.

RIP
23-10-06, 12:14 PM
go kiwis a must need win. hape was awesome chuck him in2 lock

Go_The_Doggies
23-10-06, 01:13 PM
go kiwis a must need win. hape was awesome chuck him in2 lock
Hes injured.

Queenslander
23-10-06, 05:02 PM
Kiwis Vs Lions Preview
Monday, October 23, 2006 - 4:49 PM

Great Britain will enter the fray this Saturday and if their talk is anything to go by, they will take it to the Kiwis. That would ensure a high impact, physical game that may not yield the most points but will certainly be a throwback to years gone by, when test matches were all about physicality.

The likes of Jamie Pea****, Adrian Morley, Stuart Fielden and Andy Coley all like to play a physical style of Rugby League, particularly Morley who Australian fans will recognise as a big hitter but his teammates do not lack anything in that department either. The Lions will take it up to the big Kiwi pack, and try and test the likes of Ruben Wiki, David Kidwell and Roy Asotasi.

The Kiwis would have to be hurting after capitulating against Australia despite leading 15-8 with just eight minutes left on the clock, and perhaps the strength and size that served them so well, in the early part of the game let them down at the end, when they failed to ?go? with the likes of Inglis and Hunt. The impending return of Frank Pritchard who turned on a dazzling display against the Australian Invitational team for New Zealand ?A? would help them in that respect.

That said there will be no respite against the touring Lions team who will not only look to make the game physical but look for gaps later in the game, and their halves in Danny McGuire and Sean Long are more than capable of running plays that will open up the Kiwis. If they are successful at splitting the Kiwis then expect the likes of Brian Carney and Martin Aspinwall to be in support and looking to score.

The Kiwis will look to take advantage of their size across the park, especially in the backline, where wingers Manu Vatuvei and Tame Tupou should be able to use their size and strength to great effect on the smaller British backs.

The Kiwi backline will be reshuffled somewhat though, with both Steve Matai (shoulder) and Shontayne Hape (knee) struggling with injury. This will give Tame Tupou another chance on the wing, while Simon Mannering may move to the centres, alternatively, coach Brian McLennan may look to rookie Ben Roberts, who scored three tries for New Zealand ?A? and has a touch of Benji Marshall magic about him, which may be just what the Kiwis need

The Kiwis will also look to the air via the boot of Stacey Jones, using a play that caused problems for the Kangaroos last week and should do similar against the touring Lions, who have a winger in Carney who is not all that safe under the bomb.

Key Match Up

Manu Vatuvei Vs Brian Carney

Both men had outstanding seasons in the NRL and will be looking to carry that form into the Tri-Nations series. Vatuvei looked dangerous in both outings against the Kangaroos and his size and strength was a major factor in those displays as was his vastly improved defence. Carney can be overpowered but his speed and willingness to get to the try line will worry Vatuvei who will have to be on his game to keep the Irishman, who was the Dally M Winger of the year out.

Best Bet:

Great Britain were quick to claim that they were a bit rusty after their hit out in Newcastle, and equally quick to claim underdog status for the tournament. However they have a good mix of youth and experience, and will not go down without a fight. The Kiwis should win, but it will be close, so back them by 1-12 points.

New Zealand have a habit of starting well and their big forwards score a lot of tries, so if you are looking for first try scorer go for Ruben Wiki who is sure to be value.

Source: NRL

zacaroo
23-10-06, 05:09 PM
hape seems like a pretty good player, some team sign him into the nrl..he would be a good addition to the struggling nz warriors, pity he got injured though, he was my top pick of the nz players on field saturday night..

Capital_Shark
23-10-06, 05:33 PM
hape seems like a pretty good player, some team sign him into the nrl..he would be a good addition to the struggling nz warriors, pity he got injured though, he was my top pick of the nz players on field saturday night..

I doubt the Warriors could squeze him under the cap. They're gonna abide by those rules next year, right?

Go_The_Doggies
23-10-06, 05:49 PM
Personally I don't see how the Warriors are struggling, I mean they only just missed out on a finals spot this year and finished in 9th position. I would hardly call that struggling.

Meh
23-10-06, 07:02 PM
Personally I don't see how the Warriors are struggling, I mean they only just missed out on a finals spot this year and finished in 9th position. I would hardly call that struggling.
Well 10th but either way we were in the finals minus the 4 point deduction :( but they certainly arent struggling, much improved this season and some great signings you should see them in the 8 next year. kiwis should be able to put GB away in this one if they show any resemblence to last weekends performance.

DIEHARD
23-10-06, 11:39 PM
I'm so pumped for this Test Match!

I love Test Matches even those not featuring the Kangaroos. They re something special where I can put my anxiety on the shelf and just enjoy the best of two nations rip into one another.

I'm going for the Lions, who is everyone going for?

~Wild Child~
24-10-06, 12:26 AM
hmm... not much of a choice :D but...I would never back the Poms :nope:.... over any country.... in any sport...Ever. :nope: :p
So... I guess I'll just have to go with New Zealand to win :( :p

KIWIS TO CREAM THE POMS :win:

:!: Go_The_Doggies.....We're finally on the same team :D :lol!:

DeeGan
24-10-06, 07:06 AM
I am going for our neighbours the Kiwis in this contest though can't complain with either victor. I wouldn't mind seeing the Poms getting to the final.

Poida
24-10-06, 10:13 AM
the only time id ever back the poms is if they play south africa in cricket.
otherwise go the kiwis here

Titanium_BD1103
24-10-06, 11:02 AM

Kiwis make four changes
From staff writers
October 24, 2006

NEW ZEALAND coach Brian McClennan today made four changes for the Tri-Nations rugby league Test with Great Britain in Christchurch on Saturday night.

Two were forced, with wing Shontayne Hape and centre Steve Matai ruled out with injuries picked up in the 20-15 loss to Australia in Melbourne last Saturday.

Tame Tupou has been named to replace Hape, with the experienced Nigel Vagana moving from five eighth to centre and Jerome Ropati partnering Stacey Jones in the halves.

McCleannan named Frank Pritchard to replace Tony Puletua in the second row.

New Zealand Test team

Brent Webb, Tame Tupou, Nigel Vagana, Iosia Soliola, Manu Vatuvei, Jerome Ropati, Stacey Jones, Ruben Wiki (c), Nathan Fien, Roy Asotasi, David Kidwell, Frank Pritchard, Simon Mannering.

Reserves: Motu Tony, Nathan Cayless, Jason Cayless, David Fa'alogo. 18th man: Adam Blair.

I think these are some good choices, with Ropati offering a lot more than Vagana at 5/8th and Vagana will be a good and very useful centre and hopefully it will see Mannering stay in the forward line... ;)

Grimmace
24-10-06, 11:55 AM
Lions Look Good for Start Against Kiwis

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 9:58 AM

Great Britain coach Brian Noble is hoping the New Zealand side took Saturday night?s Gillette Tri Nations loss to Australia as hard as it looked on Television to give his side a big chance in Christchurch this Saturday night.

The defending champions have lost both matches to Australia, despite leading game two 15-8 with just 8 minutes remaining and Noble thinks the Kiwis might be a little flat after getting themselves up twice to play the Kangaroos.

?I hope so, I hope so. History will tell, but when you?ve got someone like Ruben Wiki in charge, the level of intensity he plays with week in week out I still think we need to be very ready for the start of the game.?

However Skipper Jamie Pea**** isn?t as hopeful as his Coach, he doesn?t believe the Kiwis will be the slightest bit off their game despite the two losses to start the series.

?I don?t know about that. I think they?ve got better in each game they?ve played and they?ll probably improve again against us, they?ve really gelled as a team they looked a lot more cohesive on Saturday night as opposed to game one.

They played with all their emotion and everything but there was still a lot of skill and teamwork behind everything.?

Despite some of his key players and himself being in Sydney for less than a week to prepare for the series Noble is upbeat that the Lions can match it with the Australians and New Zealanders, even after the impressive start to the series.

?The standard was very high. I thought the element of ball control and physicality of the game and the quality of the skill was there for all to see with an exciting finish in the second one.

The Kiwis snatched defeat from the jaws of victory didn?t they and that?s a credit to the Australians because that test match element is what it?s all about, everybody?s tested to their full potential in every facet of the game. You have to give as much in the 78th minute as you have in the 1st.?

The new faces in the Australian side have stood up to be counted in the opening matches of the series but Noble says that doesn?t give him any sleepless nights.

?They?re a challenge whoever they put out there. So we know what to expect, you can show them pictures but you?ve got to be very ready to play and I sense the hunger on our boys. But we?ve got to deal with New Zealand in Christchurch before we think about the Aussies.?

The Lions have arrived in Sydney in two groups to prepare for the series and have had just one hit out against a Newcastle representative team with a 40 points to 6 win to blow out the cobwebs.

While Australia and New Zealand have had two games Pea**** says the Lions preparation has been faultless.

?We?re enjoying it actually, it?s the best preparation we?ve had as a Great Britain team really. We were out early, there?s no jet lag behind us, we?ve got no excuses we just need to go out and play as best as we can.

There?s not much pressure on us and not much is expected of us as you tell by the long odds the bookies are offering on us so we just have to enjoy our football.?

The Skipper also believes attitude and desire will go a long way into how they perform in their first hit out in Christchurch this Saturday night.

?You?ve just got to look at the positives; if you dwell on the negatives like they?ve had more time to gel and stuff like that it?s not going to work out for you. So if you look at the positives we?re going to be a bit fresher than they are and hopefully that?ll come good for us.?

Go_The_Doggies
24-10-06, 01:20 PM
:!: Go_The_Doggies.....We're finally on the same team :D :lol!:
Hahaha wow thats a first. :rotflmao:

And tbh i'm happy with what changes my fav coach Bluey has done!!..I'm glad Nigel is out of the number 6 jersey, good to see Ropo there, he really did play awesome in the back end of the NRL for the Warriors..HERES HOPING FOR FOUR TRIES ON SATURDAY!! :p ..............very unlucky of Adam Blair to miss out, in saying that i'm glad J.Cayless is fit and healthy..ffs he had me worried..as did Motu..glad he is fit and ready to go!!

GO THE KIWIS <3

DIEHARD
24-10-06, 01:51 PM
Ropati at 5/8th. Now this is what I wanted!

Meh
24-10-06, 03:54 PM
Some good changes that leave mannering in the front line too, hopefully vagana can offer more in the centres than he did in the 5/8 role, good to see ropati there aswell. im really hoping for a kiwis win here...all my aussie friends gave me enough crap today after last weekend :dead:

Go_The_Doggies
24-10-06, 06:44 PM
Some good changes that leave mannering in the front line too, hopefully vagana can offer more in the centres than he did in the 5/8 role, good to see ropati there aswell. im really hoping for a kiwis win here...all my aussie friends gave me enough crap today after last weekend :dead:
I would just gave them the finger. :rotflmao:

Meh
24-10-06, 08:18 PM
Well that was my initial response :) on the plus side they all hate gasnier anyway haha
but we really do need a win here and unless the brits can take the final, tri nations is all but dead once again.

DIEHARD
25-10-06, 01:06 AM
Jerome Ropati could be Kiwi's Lockyer

There are a few theories on why Australia got out of a tight jam in Melbourne in a way the Kiwis would struggle to match.

Maybe it came down to a handful of Kiwi errors at the vital stages opening the door enough for the Kangaroos to kick it wide open.

For mine though, the biggest overall difference between the sides over two tests can be summed up in two words, the first of which is Darren.

The brilliant Mr Lockyer, the husky-voiced champion, is not only a great footballer. He revels in maintaining an even keel when to the outside observer his team's hopes are sunk.

Which automatically begs the question: where is New Zealand going to get a Darren Lockyer? Nowhere for now is the obvious answer.

But the best long-term No 6 bet has to be Warrior Jerome Ropati and the time to find out his capabilities is now, even with the defence of the Tri-Nations title on the line.

The Kiwis may have got ahead of themselves when Stacey Jones slotted the 72nd minute field goal for a 15-8 lead at the Telstra Dome.

Yet this was a situation almost tailor-made for Lockyer. He has got both Queensland and Australia out of similar scrapes before. Lockyer is the man most likely to be calm in a storm.

The moment that turned the test Australia's way was classic Lockyer. Spotting an opportunity to the left he sprang and sent Greg Inglis away with a perfect long pass.

Lockyer was obviously born with certain gifts but his abilities have also been acquired in the hurly-burly of NRL, State of Origin and test football.

It's difficult imagining that New Zealand standoff Nigel Vagana could have performed similar deeds. Whatever the Kiwi selections may indicate, Vagana still looks like a centre - and a superb one at his best - playing out of position.

He retains the try-scoring knack he showed as a Warriors reserve grader in the mid-1990s, when the star-struck club failed to nurture his talent through to first grade.

And Vagana can still be a major asset in the centres for the Kiwis, probably in place of the aggressive Steve Matai, who is under an injury cloud this week anyway.

This would leave Ropati, who has played test and club football from fullback to hooker, free to make standoff his home, especially as the Kiwis' dummy half stocks have now improved. Ropati is not a sure bet and his concentration is sometimes under question, but this is a moment to invest in the future. He has a widely skilled game, but needs to build experience.

This Tri-Nations would also ease Ropati in to the test standoff role while Stacey Jones is on the scene.

A major asset that Ropati has over Vagana is the potential to match what Lockyer did in the 75th minute of the Melbourne test. Ropati can take the ball at pace and throw sharp passes on the run.

Great Britain could give the Kiwis a sterner test than many might imagine. Their starting XIII at least look very strong. But they are not in Australia's league.

Ropati will never learn how to get his team out of scrapes - the way Lockyer does - unless he gets put into them.

I'm not one to heavily link the Warriors and Kiwis, because the Kiwis need their identity and the New Zealand game needs diversity.

But there would be a two-way benefit if Ropati were allowed to cut his teeth as a test standoff. New Zealand and the Warriors are crying out for a world-class No 6. This is as good a time as any to kick the process along.

Source: NZ Herald

DIEHARD
25-10-06, 01:08 AM
I'm a fan of Ropati at 5/8th, hope it works out.

Queenslander
25-10-06, 08:54 AM
England's little league giant
By Dean Ritchie
October 25, 2006

HE stands no taller than jockey Darren Beadman and is the lightest player in Test match history.

Australia rugby union halfback George Gregan is 8cm taller and 12kg heavier.

Tiny league immortal Clive Churchill weighed 9kg more and was also taller.

Welcome to the world of Great Britain utility player Rob Burrow.

The Leeds utility player spoke yesterday about his staggering size, or lack of it: 165cm and weighing 66kg.

Burrow, 24, is 3cm shorter than Geoff Toovey and 7kg lighter than Allan Langer.

British teammate Stuart Fielden is an astonishing 46kg heavier than Burrow. And Aussie prop Willie Mason is 30cm taller.

Some may suggest Burrow is likely to get thrown out of the arena when Australia's monster pack gets hold of him.

But Great Britain coach Brian Noble said: "Don't let his size lull you into a false sense."

Burrow said yesterday he was unconcerned at his tiny stature. "It's not new to me. As a junior I wasn't big so I've learned to handle it," he said.

"I like to use my size to my advantage. It is a physical game so if you don't like that, you don't play it.

"But the big guys find the smaller guys harder to tackle."

Sizing up Langer and Toovey, Burrow said: "They are people I look up to, fantastic players."

Noble gave reasons why Burrow would be dangerous in the Tri-Nations.

"He's certainly tough enough ? he's been small all his life," Noble said.

"Young Toovey played at Manly and everyone said he was too small. He was a fantastic player.

"Rob has electrifying speed and is a tough kid. The blokes find it hard to handle him."

Burrow has stood up to the rigours of England's Super League competition, playing 159 games for the Rhinos.

He can play halfback or dummy-half and could prove elusive off the bench.

The British camp was in awe of the intensity in last weekend's Test between Australia and New Zealand.

"It was a great game ? a lot of passion," Burrow said.

"It was very physical. I think we will have to play physical to match them."

Burrow rejected talk Great Britain would be the weakest link in this year's triangular series.

"Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but we are confident in our own ability," he said. "We're not here to make up the numbers. The hitout we had against Newcastle (invitational team) last weekend was good for us. It got the rustiness out."

Burrow also denied New Zealand could be flat in its match against Great Britain this weekend in the wake of the Kiwis' two big Tests against Australia.

"I don't think so," he said. "They'll be up for the game."

The Daily Telegraph

DIEHARD
25-10-06, 12:58 PM
Ropati wants lengthy stay in No.6

Kiwi utility Jerome Ropati is hoping his international rugby league career will soon mirror his more settled existence at the New Zealand Warriors.

After playing Mr Fixit for the NRL club after making his debut in 2003, Ropati, a former hooker and centre, finally found his niche at five-eighth this year, the position he feels best suited to.

On Tuesday Kiwis coach Brian McClennan concurred with Warriors counterpart Ivan Cleary by selecting Ropati to start at five-eighth for Saturday night's Tri-Nations clash against Great Britain at Jade Stadium, Christchurch.

Ropati started the Kiwi's tournament opener against Australia on the bench before being thrust into the starting line-up at hooker for last weekend's return bout against the Kangaroos in Melbourne.

Now the 21-year-old is anxious to make sure the No.6 shirt is not on loan.

"It's a position I've played most of the year at, a position I'm comfortable with (now) and Bluey's (McClennan) given me the opportunity," Ropati said.

"I've cherished those opportunities I got at fullback and hooker, and to play No.6 is a bonus. I'd like to make it my own."

His transition should be smoothed by Stacey Jones, the experienced playmaker who was a fixture at halfback when Ropati made his first grade debut at the tail end of the 2003 NRL season.

The duo played in the halves only "three of four" times before Ropati ended up in the centres or as one of the Warriors' several options at dummy half.

However, Ropati has no doubt they will gel quickly.

"You can't buy Stacey's experience, his knowledge of the game. I remember how we structured the game and he hasn't changed."

Ropati, meanwhile, believes his game needs an upgrade in the tactical kicking department to take some of the onus off Jones, who is sure to be targeted.

"I haven't had too many kicks during the season," Ropati said, adding McClennan had urged him to work on his punting.

Naturally, the halves battle will have an impact on the outcome on Saturday night and Ropati is under no illusions about the difficulty of the assignment facing the Kiwi duo.

The Lions will be steered around the park by St Helens halfback Sean Long, who this year passed the 200-game mark in the Super League.

"He's like Stacey, he's been around the game for quite a while and he directs them in such a way that they've become a dangerous side," Ropati said.

McClennan had to compensate for injuries when settling on his team after centre Steve Matai and Shontayne Hape were ruled out with shoulder and knee problems respectively.

Tame Tupou comes onto the flank he vacated for Hape after the Tri-Nations opener against the Kangaroos in Auckland while Nigel Vagana reverts from pivot to centre.

SMH

Go_The_Doggies
25-10-06, 01:03 PM
Oh ffs Ropo we want you to stay there for a long time aswell!!..well atleast till Ben Roberts gets some more experience! :)................................................ ...................

Titanium_BD1103
25-10-06, 04:25 PM
LOL everyone with Ben Roberts... enough already, there's enough about it on The Kennel... we don't need it here... :lol!:

Well Great Britain have named their side, it's a decent side but the bench is a bit of an unknown, should be a good clash though against the Kiwis.

From: http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.asp?ID=12412

Great Britain side to face New Zealand
Written by: International news
25/10/2006

Great Britain coach Brian Noble has named his side for the first Tri-Nations hit-out against New Zealand in Christchurch this Saturday.

The Lions will be looking to build on their opening trial performance in Newcastle at the weekend, which they won 40-6, when they face a desperate Kiwi's side yet to register a win in the tournament after a heart-breaking loss to Australia at Telstra Dome.

Great Britain:

Paul Wellens, Brian Carney, Martin Gleeson, Keith Senior, Leon Pryce, Danny McGuire, Sean Long, Stuart Fielden, Terry Newton, Adrian Morley, Jamie Pea**** (c), Gareth Ellis, Sean O'Loughlin,

Interchange: James Roby, Garreth Carvell, Gareth Hock, Lee Gilmour

18th man: Jon Wilkin

Meh
25-10-06, 05:13 PM
More on aussie refs in the Tri Nations

Stuart's referee stance riles McClennan
Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 3:11 PM

Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart has succeeded in getting under the skin of New Zealand counterpart Brian McClennan by demanding Australian referees control the remainder of the Tri-Nations series.

In what New Zealand Rugby League (NZRL) officials described as another example of their Australian counterparts' innate sense of superiority, Stuart wants NRL referees to officiate the remaining four Tests.

Stuart claimed Ashley Klein, the English representative on the Tri-Nations refereeing panel, undermined the Kangaroos' chances of victory in Melbourne last weekend.

Favourites to regain the title lost to the Kiwis in Leeds last November, Australia won Saturday's Test 20-15 after the New Zealanders imploded, conceding two converted tries within eight minutes of the final hooter.

Klein also controlled the tournament opener in Auckland, won 30-18 by the Kangaroos.

Despite sitting in pole position and with a fortnight for his players to recover from tough back-to-back trans-Tasman battles, Stuart was still unhappy as the focus switched to Great Britain's tournament opener at Jade Stadium.

Stuart stopped short of accusing Klein of bias but said Australian referees should officiate for the rest of the series.

"I've been very disappointed with what we're copping over the last two games," Stuart said.

"I thought that there were a number of interpretations that were leaning towards the Kiwis, more so than us getting a fair rub of the green.

"It's obviously very difficult for Klein because he's coming out of one style of refereeing in England over to refereeing two teams that were uncomfortable with different interpretations."

His solution is to have Australian referee Paul Simpkins control the November 25 final in Sydney, a match the Kangaroos are also certain to feature in after making a winning start to their campaign.

The Kiwis, who were also unhappy Klein did not refer Mark Gasnier's match-winning try at the Telstra Dome to the video referee for possible obstruction, don't mind him continuing.

"We have to put the game first, we have to keep developing people and this is an opportunity to develop an English referee, McClennan said.

"The game needs international football to be thriving. This sort of stuff is very insular, it's about getting what's right for Australia, Ricky doesn't give a hoot about Great Britain or New Zealand.

"He's trying to put pressure on and win whichever way he can."

McClennan argued Glen Black, New Zealand's referee on the panel, should control the Kangaroos and Great Britain Test on November 4.

However that won't happen as the Australian Rugby League (ARL) refuse to play under him because he has not refereed at NRL or Super League level.

Instead, Simpkins is destined for that assignment.

NZRL chairman Selwyn Bennett described the treatment of Black and New Zealand touch judge Craig Pascoe as despicable.

"They should be refereeing, not standing on the sideline with a flag," he said.

"They (Australia and Great Britain) are saying only NRL or Super League referees are applicable.

"It's an insult. Our referees are just as good."

The Kiwis scratched a training run in favour of a gym session, while Great Britain packed up for an early flight to Christchurch on Thursday.
NRL.com

Queenslander
27-10-06, 02:45 PM
Noble Believes Lions can Challenge
Friday, October 27, 2006 - 11:59 AM

As Great Britain prepare for what will be a physical encounter with the Kiwis in Christchurch on Saturday night, their coach Brian Noble spoke out about the need for the his team to crank up the physicality and get out of the blocks well in this series.

Despite not having an ideal draw, (the Lions play four straight games) the coach is talking up his sides chances and recognizes the importance of this weekend?s game against the Kiwis.

?We?re excited but we need to hit the ground running from out first game. It is a must win game for us and them. Obviously they will want to get two points on the board, and we would like to start well and get a couple of points on the board?.

The emphasis on starting well could not be stronger for this Great Britain team after a poor start cost them a chance at Tri-Nations glory in last years tournament. To counter that they even played a warm up game against a local Newcastle representative side and defeated them easily.

While the Great Britain team has been acclimatising at Narabeen, and enjoying the sun and surf the Kiwis and Kangaroos have been playing out a very physical early part of the series, something that the coach believes holds no fears for his team.

?We have to stand up and be ready for the physical tussle that is New Zealand and Australia, But at the same time we will be looking pretty big walking out of the sheds ourselves?.

?We certainly will not be intimidated by size or physical prowess, we have got to go out there and use our bodies and we have some size ourselves, but we need to be smart too. To get involved in a purely physical battle would mean it could go either way?.

The Brits certainly do possess some size and some players who have no fears about using their bodies as weapons, with the likes of Adrian Morley, Jamie Pea****, Gareth Hock and Staurt Fielden all capable of pulling off some big hits.

Many Australian fans of the game would be unaware of some of the talent that this Great Britain team does possess, as well as being unaware of the style they will play, and as a result of this they may have come here somewhat underrated but the coach knows exactly where his team?s strengths lie.

?You know it certainly is nice to be underrated, but I just hope that we play to our potential. I see the team having a strong forward outfit, with some decent halves and backs. I hope that two or three really stand up to play, and I think that Newton is pretty influential to what we do?.

While Newton may be very influential to what the Lions do, it is another smaller player in Danny McGuire who has tongues wagging about his exciting style of play, and when confronted about the star pivot Noble was happy but coy in his response.

?Yeah he?s not bad Danny McGuire is he?.

McGuire could be the man to tear the opposition apart for Great Britain in a series where winning early is all important.

qld power
27-10-06, 03:56 PM
weather in chch today high 20s so jade should be fast hard and good track :lol!:

Poida
27-10-06, 11:36 PM
i reckon lions have got what it takes to win.
lol sorry go the doggies but cause it says ireland in great brittains name i gotta go for em

Grimmace
28-10-06, 07:01 AM
Poms to snub haka
By Steve Mascord in Christchurch

October 28, 2006 GREAT Britain players have been instructed not to face up to the haka before kick-off tonight as controversy prepares to engulf the Tri-Nations once more.

Just two weeks after Australia prop Willie Mason caused a storm by swearing during the traditional pre-match ritual, Lions coach Brian Noble has told The Saturday Daily Telegraph his men will fan out across Jade Stadium this evening as they would if no haka was taking place.

"We will get ready to play. The players will take their normal kick-off positions," Noble said when asked what his men would do during the Maori challenge.

The refusal of the Brits to face off against their opponents at Jade Stadium is certain to have the Kiwis' blood boiling, with Bulldog Mason slammed for his actions even though he and his teammates had linked arms and faced their opposition to acknowledge the haka.

If Great Britain is receiving from the kick-off, some players will be 50 metres away from Ruben Wiki and his men when they launch into the ritual. Conversely, if Britain is kicking off there could be an uncomfortable confrontation about who has the right to stand on the halfway line.

While the build-up to game three of the tournament has not had the same colour as that for the first two matches, there were strong indications last night that feelings run deep between the Kiwi and Lions camps.

NZ coach Brian McClennan derided Noble's plan to ring referees coach Robert Finch about referee Paul Simpkins and reckoned all the pressure was on the tourist given its government lottery funding, huge travelling press corps and high expectations.

"Too right there is," McClennan said as his side prepared to train at the match venue.

"They've been preparing for this tournament all year. They've had their players in camps every month. There's a lot of pressure on them.

"I know everyone's saying there's pressure on us because we're the holders but we don't have anywhere near the resources of both countries (Britain and Australia). We're always underdogs going into games so the pressure is on them."

Speaking after a training session at Rugby League Park, Noble dismissed the claims, saying: "If you think of yourself under pressure, you're under pressure. Performance is just that: you can only control what is in the now."

Noble called Finch yesterday but McClennan stormed: "I don't get all this. Surely you watch the ref. If they haven't researched what Simpkins does ... I mean, he's on TV every weekend. For God's sake!"

Britain has yet to finalise its bench with Lee Gilmour the only one of five reserves to have played Test football before. Gareth Carvell or Jon Wilkin is expected to drop out.

The Kiwis will omit 18th man Adam Blair. "Being only 20, we just thought he needed a little bit of a freshener and Jason Cayless comes in who's an experienced prop ... who's going to be the props in Wellington, I don't know," said McClennan.

"The way (Blair) has been playing and the way he's been training, he's put some heat on the other boys."

After pre-selling just 9000 tickets, officials are hoping for a healthy walk-up. It's the first Test in Christchurch for 10 years. Ruben Wiki and Adrian Morley played in the Kiwis' 32-12 win at Lancaster Park in 1996 while David Kidwell took part in the curtain-raiser.

Source: Daily Telegraph

qld power
28-10-06, 07:37 AM
tickets pre sold up to `13 000 as if 3 pm yesterday morning mild and clear so far today

~Wild Child~
28-10-06, 10:49 AM
Go Kiwis :win:

Go_The_Doggies
28-10-06, 11:27 AM
They can do whatever the frigg they like during the haka, but if they start swearing at it, or swearing at a player or players whilst doing the haka, I won't be a happy chappy!!

Poida
28-10-06, 01:06 PM
They can do whatever the frigg they like during the haka, but if they start swearing at it, or swearing at a player or players whilst doing the haka, I won't be a happy chappy!!
yeh i dont blame ya.

Grimmace
28-10-06, 05:10 PM
LOL first tackle adrian morley makes he gets put on report for a swinging arm what surprise.

jenny
28-10-06, 05:37 PM
LOL first tackle adrian morley makes he gets put on report for a swinging arm what surprise.
Dirty Player....dont like him!

qld power
28-10-06, 05:52 PM
after scoring first points `15mins into game with sean long penalty
kiwis 6 -2 half time with a long range brent webb try :)

qld power
28-10-06, 06:17 PM
kiwi try motu tony goal jones
12-2
55mins gone

Super Cronk
28-10-06, 06:24 PM
Not a fan of morley the thug but the hit on Wiki wastn too bad...sure it was high but after a few replays you can see it wasnt too bad, ive definately seen worse.

Grimmace
28-10-06, 06:25 PM
Not a fan of morley the thug but the hit on Wiki wastn too bad...sure it was high but after a few replays you can see it wasnt too bad, ive definately seen worse.
Yeah it aint that bad but he just punncehd a player in the head for trying to play the ball that could be the nail in the coffin for him.

Super Cronk
28-10-06, 06:27 PM
Yeah it aint that bad but he just punncehd a player in the head for trying to play the ball that could be the nail in the coffin for him.

:rotflmao:

I pretty much expected Morley to do this...esp after their judiciay records are wiped clean for the tri nations.

qld power
28-10-06, 06:33 PM
68mins try soilia goal jones 18-2

Steelers
28-10-06, 06:35 PM
LOL I forgot that this game isn't live on Channel 9 , dam now I know the score. NZ seem like they have played well.

qld power
28-10-06, 06:39 PM
75mins wellen try long goal
18-8 are the kiwis goin to blow another one eek

Meh
28-10-06, 06:40 PM
vagana really needs to step up, wouldnt surprise me if hes not in the next squad for the kiwis with 3 very quiet games.

qld power
28-10-06, 06:49 PM
ellis try mcguire goal on full time
18-14

Go_The_Doggies
28-10-06, 07:34 PM
Sloppy, very sloppy game.

Ref was abit of a goofball.

Webby's try was friggin awesome, highlight of the night for me. :D

Meh
28-10-06, 07:53 PM
Adrian morley is just a disgrace. wasnt suprised at all to see his first action in the match get him on report.

Grimmace
28-10-06, 08:16 PM
Adrian morley is just a disgrace. wasnt suprised at all to see his first action in the match get him on report.
Seen worse hopefully the kiwis have complained about the cheap shot he pulled.Where he punched a player in the head.

Go_The_Doggies
28-10-06, 08:29 PM
There was no need whatsoever for Morley to bloody punch Brent Webb in the head, that was just bloody stupid, he does something like that every game. Webb shoulda had a fight with him when he first high tackled Ruben!!!

~lee~
28-10-06, 10:45 PM
This was a game GB should have won, they outplayed NZ but just had no ideas in the final 3rd. I dont know what game the ref was watching but there was plenty of errors from him. NZ played well in defence and looked dangerous everytime they got inside our 20.

I still dont understand why we were not awarded a penalty try. Booooooo.

We will take our frustration out on the Aussies.

~Wild Child~
29-10-06, 06:34 AM
Congrats to New Zealand :win:

Robbie_Dee
29-10-06, 09:22 AM
I stayed up last night to watch it :eek:. I agree, Paul Simpkins was just stupid!!! But maybe a bit of a worry for NZ, they really have to keep their concentration up in defence for the last 10 minutes!!!! lol!!! if GB weren't that far behind, they would have won. NZ really have to work on this, its a big problem.

Adrian Morley was very stupid, i really don't think he has much between his ears that fella. lol. But in General, i thought both teams were pretty scrappy, but still was a decent game to watch.

congrats Kiwi's! :clap:

Poida
29-10-06, 09:23 AM
lol everyone knows or should know simpkins sucks.
he shouldnt have reffed the grand final or a international game

Meh
29-10-06, 12:34 PM
This was a game GB should have won, they outplayed NZ but just had no ideas in the final 3rd. I dont know what game the ref was watching but there was plenty of errors from him. NZ played well in defence and looked dangerous everytime they got inside our 20.

Outplayed NZ? hardly...both teams had a pretty scrappy performance but britains execution was just slack apart from the final 10 minutes where there seems to be no defence at all. Completions rates would be the main factor to the result, nothing flash from either team but GB were way down.
something like 8-15 errors seems to say it all.

patrick
29-10-06, 08:39 PM
lol everyone knows or should know simpkins sucks.
he shouldnt have reffed the grand final or a international game

Yeah, if there was an Aussie ref in the series, it had to be Steve Clark IMO.
Well one positive from Simpkins, thank God it wasn't HAMPSTEAD....! :eek:

Well done Kiwis :win: , but they could have played much better. They were flat-footed a lot last night in desperate situations. GB played alright, but they made too many fumbles and left their run way too late. Brent Webb had one of the best games I have seen him play. His try was brilliant. :clap: Adrian Morley's naughtyness was needless, but it was fun to watch. Very sloppy tackle on Ruben and punching Webb was silly. :roll: Thought we were turning back to 2003 for a second. :cop: But a highlight for GB...Keith Senior's online defence was great! :clap:

Robbie_Dee
29-10-06, 08:43 PM
Adrian Morley's naughtyness was needless, but it was fun to watch. After watching the news highlights, they showed an angle where in the tackle the NZ'er elbowed him in the face, so it wasn't all that cheap...

patrick
29-10-06, 08:53 PM
After watching the news highlights, they showed an angle where in the tackle the NZ'er elbowed him in the face, so it wasn't all that cheap...

Yeah true, just realised that.
Brent Webb actually admitted that he elbowed Moz, so he was a bit cheeky there. It was still good to watch Moz go for it, though it was very dangerous to punch him in the back of the head.
And jeez, after he took Ruben Wiki high, David Kidwell made a huge tackle on Morley and went in his face, like he did with Willie! He was going to rip into him! :box: Put him in his place there!

~Wild Child~
29-10-06, 08:57 PM
Yeah true, just realised that.
Brent Webb actually admitted that he elbowed Moz, so he was a bit cheeky there. It was still good to watch Moz go for it, though it was very dangerous to punch him in the back of the head.
And jeez, after he took Ruben Wiki high, David Kidwell made a huge tackle on Morley and went in his face, like he did with Willie! He was going to rip into him! :box: Put him in his place there!
Sounds like a group of school boys having an altercation at little lunch :laugh:

patrick
29-10-06, 10:05 PM
Sounds like a group of school boys having an altercation at little lunch :laugh:
:lol!:

when0in0rome
30-10-06, 02:03 AM
its moz, what do you expect?
everyone i was watchinw ith just went "oh no, not again"
haha! ah well, we only lost by 4 points, that great! i expected an absolute walkover!
Brent webb was awesome, im a rhinos lass so im chuffed hes on his way over!