PDA

View Full Version : Hingis to return to Gold Coast

Grimmace
17-10-06, 12:49 PM
Hingis to return to Gold Coast
By staff writers
October 17, 2006

FIVE-time grand slam champion Martina Hingis will return to headline the player field for the 2007 Mondial Australian Women's Hardcourts, tournament director Liz Smylie announced today.

Earlier this year the tournament hosted Hingis' return to competitive tennis, with crowds enjoying her run to the semi-finals.

Hingis went on to reclaim her place at the pinnacle of women's tennis ? entering the top ten in August ? in a year which included title wins at Rome and Kolkata, reaching the finals at Tokyo and Montreal, and making quarter-final appearances at the Australian and French Opens.

"I'm very excited to be playing the Mondial Australian Women?s Hardcourts for the second year running," Hingis said.

"It's such a great event and I'm looking forward to playing in front of the Aussie crowds again".

Aged only 16 years, six months, Hingis set the record for the youngest player to achieve the world No.1 ranking (on 30 March 1997) and held it for a total of 209 non-consecutive weeks between 1997 and 2001.

Smylie said she was thrilled to welcome Hingis to the event again.

"I'm very proud of the role this tournament played in hosting Martina?s comeback to tennis.

"To begin the year with what was essentially a ranking of 9999, and rise to world No.9 in less than nine months is an incredible achievement.

"She reached the quarter-finals of the Australian Open and showed she was capable of competing with the top players again.

"With the deadline for player entries still a month away, it is fantastic to be able to confirm a player of Martina's calibre this far out from the tournament. We're on track for another blockbuster field," Smylie said.

Managing Director of Mondial Assistance, Peter Edwards, said, "we're very pleased that Martina Hingis will again be joining us ... she brings international prestige to the Gold Coast and we're really looking forward to welcoming her back."

The competition will be staged from 31 December 2006 ? 6 January 2007 at Royal Pines Resort on the Gold Coast.
Source:www.foxsports.com.au

zacaroo
17-10-06, 04:08 PM
thanks for the information grimmace..

SuperCliffy#01
18-10-06, 12:08 PM
I want to marry Martina Hingis.cya. :!: