PDA

View Full Version : Lockyer will keep his job.

PARANoIR
17-10-05, 08:23 AM
Kiwi great uses his brain:D

THE fallout from Australia's distressing loss to New Zealand continued yesterday, with former Kiwi fullback Matthew Ridge controversially stating Trent Barrett should replace Darren Lockyer for Friday night's Test in Auckland.

Australia were beaten 38-28 in the opening Tri-Nations Test at Homebush on Saturday night, and scrutiny now centres on the Kangaroos team for the return game at Ericsson Stadium.

Ridge, the ex-Manly fullback, said Australia would be a "wounded beast", and he predicted selectors would make up to four changes when the side is announced tomorrow.

But Ridge's most contentious change surrounds Barrett - who played for the Junior Kangaroos against New Zealand A in a curtain-raiser to the Test on Saturday - replacing five-eighth Lockyer.

"I'd have Trent Barrett in there - I rate Barrett," Ridge said.

"Lockyer seems to be drifting across field and is an easy target. He is putting pressure on his outside men.

"He looks like he needs a rest.

"Trent is a bit younger and a bit fresher and runs more at the line.

"When they make changes they normally do so in the halves and you aren't going to throw Andrew Johns away.

Australia usually makes changes after a loss and I reckon they could make three or four.

"I didn't think much of Australia's composure on Saturday night but I'm not prepared to write them off either."

There is no chance of Lockyer being dropped, however, and coach Wayne Bennett will also resist calls to shift his captain back to fullback.

Winger Timana Tahu will miss the return Test in Auckland with a hamstring injury, forcing at least one chance.

Matt Cooper would seem likely to come in at centre, with Brent Tate shifting to wing.

Some questioned the decision to play Trent Waterhouse at centre when Tahu came off on Saturday.

Australia hooker Danny Buderus meanwhile denied the side had been ambushed by the Kiwis.

"We knew it was coming," he said. "The result will make things all the more interesting.

"We have put pressure on ourselves but that will make us hungrier.

"We just dropped too much ball - fundamental stuff."

Buderus described the coming Test as "massive".

"They will be going nuts over there," he said.

Another Kiwi champion, Gary Freeman, said New Zealand could now kick along and win the Tri-Nations.

"I think New Zealand will win it after watching this game," he said.

"They were there for a purpose on Saturday night and will only get stronger.

"The Kiwis looked hungry and wanted to dominate. We have players with footwork that worried the Aussies. Australia thought it may be all too easy."

After the match, Bennett spoke of his disappointment. "I expected to be better than what we were and I can't use that for an excuse for what we did, we weren't even close to them," he said.

The Daily Telegraph

Good to see someone with a bit of common sense.

Super Cronk
17-10-05, 10:32 AM
pfft....i dont rate barret higher then lockyer. People these day see barret as a utility player...that shows you how much they think of him as a 5/8. Johns didnt have his best night but are you going to remove him and put in brett kimmorley or gower? it wasnt lockyers best game but he is a class player.

Dakink
17-10-05, 10:39 AM
He is a class fullback. This season has shown he is a average to good 5\8. He doesnt have the defensive muscle to worry other teams.

Queenslander
17-10-05, 11:08 AM
The kiwis are just saying that cause they know that Barrett is not as good as Lockyer. The kiwis would want the weakest team as possible to play against and the Kangaroos would not be as strong as they have been without Lockyer.

Super Cronk
17-10-05, 11:10 AM
yeah what do they know about 5/8's..they got vagana in the #6!

Dakink
17-10-05, 11:32 AM
Barrett has always excelled at Rep level. The team is weaker with Locky at 5\8. Locky would be more effective in attack frm the back and our defense would be tighter and more intimidating with Barrett in the front line.

Locky should retain the captaincy though.

DeeGan
17-10-05, 12:05 PM
He doesnt have the defensive muscle to worry other teams

Thankfully for selectors the five-eight is not picked to instill fear into the opposition with his defensive prowess ;)

Darren Lockyer did not play his best game in the green and gold, tell me though, who did? It seems the Australian captain is being targeted by sections of the media (Sydney in particular) pushing the barrow of their own Trent Barrett. For those doubting Lockyer's ability in the 6 jersey, I suggest you look at the 2004 Tri-Nations tour as well as the majority of his games in 2004 with the first half of 2005. He CAN play five-eight. Lockyer was the 2004 Dally M Five-Eight of the year.

This was Lockyer's first game in a few weeks as well working with a great halfback, there was going to be some expected 'rust' in his game. A backline (in particular the halves) are only as good as their forwards yet nothing is said about the guys up front who were dominated by the NZ pack? Why? Perhaps that won't sell papers on monday morning.

"Form is temporary, class is permanent"

Keep the above in mind before sticking the boot into a player the calibre of Darren Lockyer. Allan Langer went through this, Brad Fittler, Laurie Daley, Wally Lewis did as well, champion players will bounce back, Lockyer will do the same for us Friday night.

Let's hope he AND the rest of the team bounce back after being out enthused by the Kiwis.

DeeGan

Dakink
17-10-05, 12:31 PM
No a 5\8 isnt picked to instill fear into the oppostion but I know I would rather be facing Lockyer in the line than Barrett.

Other teams know you can blunt Lockyer by running at him but running players at Barrett all day has little affect. Lockyer needs to perhaps defend wider????

DeeGan
17-10-05, 12:38 PM
No a 5\8 isnt picked to instill fear into the oppostion but I know I would rather be facing Lockyer in the line than Barrett.

Other teams know you can blunt Lockyer by running at him but running players at Barrett all day has little affect. Lockyer needs to perhaps defend wider????

I think Bennett could learn a thing or two from Tim Sheens who does a superb job of ensure Marshall is not able to 'spotted' in the defensive line of the Tigers myself.

Lockyer's front line defence is his weakness and instead of denying the fact, Bennett should be looking to better utilise him in defence IMO.

If we are looking at Friday's test, I would perhaps push everyone in one and move Lockyer wider to the wing as Tate is a great defensive player. We save him some juice for attack and he is not as easily exploited defending on one wing which could easily be swapped throughout the 80 minutes as Matt King is also a very strong defender.

DeeGan

Super Cronk
17-10-05, 12:39 PM
i didnt think his defence was bad in the first test.

Dakink
17-10-05, 12:40 PM
No but it takes more out of him than it does Barrett, hence it leaves him less juice to create or run at the opposition. There is not a better sight than Lockyer hitting holes hard and the Broncos looked there best when Lockyer did that a couple of times towads the end of the season.

Steelers
17-10-05, 04:51 PM
It doesn't matter how badly Lockyer performs in the Tri-Nations, he won't get the sack. Bennett would not let that happen, just as he would never move him to fullback. Barrett deserves a run. If it isn't 5/8, then it has to be as a utility, because he can play more than just in the halves.

ridgey
17-10-05, 05:15 PM
for some reason lockyer is running across field way too much and cramping his outside backs.by the time the likes of tate,gaz and king were getting the ball in their hands they were basically on the sideline.this has been a problem for the broncos this season in that they play to laterally in attack and i'm suprised bennett hasn't tried to address it more.gasnier and co need the ball in their hands early so they can be 1 on 1 with their opponents,not struggling for room.also lockyer needs to get that confidence to take the line on himself more and back his own ability instead of alway's rushing and worrying to create things.there's no more damaging runner in the game than lockyer when he puts his head down and runs.

Steelers
17-10-05, 05:16 PM
there's no more damaging runner in the game than lockyer when he puts his head down and runs.

Barrett is a much more dangerous runner of the ball IMO

ridgey
17-10-05, 05:23 PM
yeah barrett is more of a robust physical 5\8,lockyer just finds holes at will and glides like a gazelle when he's in top form.their both great players and great 5\8ths in my opinion.

Steelers
17-10-05, 05:24 PM
yeah barrett is more of a robust physical 5\8,lockyer just finds holes at will and glides like a gazelle when he's in top form.their both great players and great 5\8ths in my opinion.

true, they are both great 5/8's

ridgey
17-10-05, 05:27 PM
it's lucky for all us bronco haters out there lockyer hasn't been in top form but when he's wearing the maroon or the green and gold,i'll beg for someone to give locky his groove back!

Super Cronk
17-10-05, 05:36 PM
Honestly steelers you are showing your bias regarding this lockyer and barrett issue. Ofcourse you want barrett in there you support him and the team he plays for. This year i dont think his form has been all that great really. Sure its been up there with a really good year...but lockyer had a really great season untill the back end of the season when the broncos lost something like 10 in a row or whatever. As deegan said form is temporary class is permament. Lockyers SOO game 1 was a damn good performance aswell.....he might be a little bit out of form but when he does hit his straps he can rip a team apart.....

But with that being said...im sure both players will do their best and if there is a decent forward pack for the rest of the tri nations which their wasnt for the first test then johns and lockyer will really fire. i do like the idea of barrett at lock too.

ridgey
17-10-05, 05:49 PM
i can't believe matthew ridge had the hyde to voice his opinion on this issue anyway,i mean where's he been hiding for the last couple of years in the backstreets of auckland somewhere and now he's an expert on the selection of the australian team.
you've got to be kidding.

Inferno
17-10-05, 06:14 PM
Its most likely been taken out of context. He was probably asked his opinion, gave it and it gone blown out of proportion.

He is a former international though and his opinion is just as valid as the next guys.

That said, there is no way that Benny will move Lockyer back to fullback or pick Barrett ahead of Locky. He's a great player and arguably the 2nd best player in the world for a reason.

ridgey
17-10-05, 06:20 PM
maybe i'm being a bit harsh on ridge i mean the kiwi's first win in oz since 91 was a huge achievement,they're probably just brimming with confidence.

Coaster
17-10-05, 07:12 PM
Am i the only one that doesnt think Lockyer played that badly??

The 2 i was dissapointed in, was Johns and Buderus, there was No structure at all most of the game.

I am not saying drop either of them, but they better play a whole lot better then they did the other night.

Super Cronk
17-10-05, 10:29 PM

The 2 i was dissapointed in, was Johns and Buderus, there was No structure at all most of the game.

I am not saying drop either of them, but they better play a whole lot better then they did the other night.

Alot of players played badly...5/8's cant do anything with a crap pack. The only people calling for lockyer's head or for him to go to fullback are dragon fans and alot of sydney-siders, dont have to be einstein to work out why they want the move.

[BroncosGirl]
17-10-05, 10:35 PM
Im just loving the fact, we lose, and yet most of the blame/criticism is falling on to Locky, people we had 16 other players out there on the field. Well omst of the criticisim is on him!!!!

Locky didn't have his best game in a test jersey, but he wasn't that bad, he is just getting used to the JOhns combo, because both like to control games, so they have to learn to work with and work of each others plays.

Dakink
18-10-05, 10:13 AM
And Lockyer has excelled in the Brisbane team??

Hardly he has had a bad couple of years by his high standards (which were set at fullback by the way). He showed pretty much nothing this year at 5\8. Even in Brisbane's start he wasnt dominating. All I am saying is the Australian team would look much more complete and intimidating in attack AND defense if Barrett was 5\8 and Locky no.1. Mini has done nothing wrong but I would slide him out to Tahu's wing.

DeeGan
18-10-05, 11:40 AM

No, he played as well as he was entitled to in a side containing a forward pack badly beaten to the punch. I wrote on page 1:

Darren Lockyer did not play his best game in the green and gold, tell me though, who did? It seems the Australian captain is being targeted by sections of the media (Sydney in particular) pushing the barrow of their own Trent Barrett. For those doubting Lockyer's ability in the 6 jersey, I suggest you look at the 2004 Tri-Nations tour as well as the majority of his games in 2004 with the first half of 2005. He CAN play five-eight. Lockyer was the 2004 Dally M Five-Eight of the year.

This was Lockyer's first game in a few weeks as well working with a great halfback, there was going to be some expected 'rust' in his game. A backline (in particular the halves) are only as good as their forwards yet nothing is said about the guys up front who were dominated by the NZ pack? Why? Perhaps that won't sell papers on monday morning.

"Form is temporary, class is permanent"

Keep the above in mind before sticking the boot into a player the calibre of Darren Lockyer. Allan Langer went through this, Brad Fittler, Laurie Daley, Wally Lewis did as well, champion players will bounce back, Lockyer will do the same for us Friday night.

Let's hope he AND the rest of the team bounce back after being out enthused by the Kiwis..

DeeGan

Chaos
18-10-05, 08:05 PM
I filthy I missed the Australians against the Kiwis but I do want to state my opinion on our 5/8, so I?m not blaming Lockyer for the loss.

Most of the comments here are said from a Bronco or Queensland point of view.
As an Australian who loves rugby league, Barrett has proven to be a better 5/8 than Lockyer.
I?m with Dakink on this.
No Australian coach should have to even think about hiding an Australian representative in defense.

A great 5/8 is a great defender.
Lockyer is not a great defender, no matter which way you look at it.
He should not be the Australian 5/8

Lockyer showed his best footy while playing fullback. He filled in well for the Broncos when needed but it is time for another change.
In saying that?I think Minichello deserves his spot at fullback .

If Lockyer was to lose is spot in the Australian side, I would blame his unfortunate season playing at 5/8. I would love to see him have a break, play fullback next season and then come back as the Australian fullback.
He would have a great understanding of the 5/8 role and could read the game like no other fullback.

Like I said, I missed the game and have no opinion on the last game but our halves still have the potential to cut sides to shreds, if our forwards get on top.

DeeGan
18-10-05, 08:18 PM
Most of the comments here are said from a Bronco or Queensland point of view.
As an Australian who loves rugby league

Chaos, nice post first of all though just to point out, I think you will find most of us whether it be of the QLD or Bronco fan variety are Australian who love rugby league as well. It just so happens they are all for Darren Lockyer playing five-eight and nothing more ;)

DeeGan

Chaos
18-10-05, 08:39 PM
Chaos, nice post first of all though just to point out, I think you will find most of us whether it be of the QLD or Bronco fan variety are Australian who love rugby league as well. It just so happens they are all for Darren Lockyer playing five-eight and nothing more ;)

DeeGan

Yeah...you probably have a right to pull me up on that.
We have all seen Lockyer cut sides to pieces and those images are in evryone's mind when sticking up for him.

I should have said 'some' instead of 'most'