PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Nations 06: Game Two; Kangaroos vs Kiwis

Queenslander
14-10-06, 11:23 PM
Tri-Nations 2006: Game Two

http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/kangaroos.gif AUSTRALIA KANGAROOS vs http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/kiwis.gif NEW ZEALAND KIWIS
Telstra Dome, Melbourne; Saturday 21st October, 8pm

Referee: Ashley Klein

Team Notes:

Kangaroos

Tri-Nations 06 Stats: Wins: 1 Losses: 0; Points For: 30 Points Against: 18

Australia defeated New Zealand 30-18 in a spiteful opening Tri Nations encounter at Mt Smart Stadium.

Tupou has been named for his Australian Test debut, replacing injured Reni Maitua for the Tri-Nations match against New Zealand.

Maitua was forced to pull out of the series with an ankle injury sustained in the Kangaroos' 30-18 win over the Kiwis last weekend.

Andrew Ryan moves into the Australian starting side, while Tupou will debut off the bench.

Australian forward Willie Mason has been ruled out of Saturday night's Tri Nations rugby league Test against New Zealand at Telstra Dome

Mark O'Meley will replace Mason in the Kangaroos' starting line-up on Saturday night, while Sam Thaiday has been promoted to make his international debut off the interchange bench.

Kiwis

Tri-Nations 06 Stats: Wins: 0 Losses: 1; Points For: 18 Points Against: 30

Are the defending champions of the Tri-Nations tournament.

New Zealand rugby league coach Brian McClennan has made two changes to the team for Saturday's second Tri-Nations test against Australia in Melbourne.

Bradford wing Shontayne Hape replaces Tame Tupou, while South Sydney forward David Fa'alogo comes in for Frank Pritchard on the interchange bench.

http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/kangaroos.gif KANGAROOS

1 Karmichael Hunt
2 Matt King
3 Mark Gasnier
4 Justin Hodges
5 Greg Inglis
6 Darren Lockyer (c)
7 Johnathan Thurston
8 Mark O'Meley (For Willie Mason)
9 Cameron Smith
10 Petero Civoniceva
11 Andrew Ryan
12 Nathan Hindmarsh
13 Luke O?Donnell
Interchange:

14 Sam Thaiday
15 Shaun Berrigan
16 Anthony Tupou
17 Brent Kite

http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/kiwis.gifKIWIS

1 Brent Webb
2 Shontayne Hape
3 Iosia Soliola
4 Steve Matai
5 Manu Vatuvei
6 Nigel Vagana
7 Stacey Jones
8 Ruben Wiki (c)
9 Dene Halatau
10 Roy Asotasi
11 David Kidwell
12 Tony Puletua
13 Simon Mannering
Interchange:

14 Jerome Ropati
15 Nathan Cayless
16 Adam Blair
17 David Fa?alogo

***Please use this thread for Tri Nations Game Two information and game day spoilers***

Victor
15-10-06, 05:41 AM
i hope jamie lyon is playing, i dont care if his starting interchange

new zealand is gona be a better side with sl players ...

Robbie_Dee
15-10-06, 07:17 AM
Bring on the fights!!! :box: :box: It's gunna be a cracker this game :dead:

davo
15-10-06, 07:20 AM
The Kiwis Should Have Entirely Different Team Next Time They Meet,all Super League Players Coming Back, Hopefully A Different Out Come As Well, Big Willy May Actually Get More Game Time You Think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Titanium_BD1103
15-10-06, 07:45 AM
The Kiwis Should Have Entirely Different Team Next Time They Meet,all Super League Players Coming Back, Hopefully A Different Out Come As Well, Big Willy May Actually Get More Game Time You Think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well the issue you have is that Motu Tony and Jason Cayless who played last night both got injured quite badly, especially Cayless and you might not get them back.

It should be a cracker though, I can't wait for next Saturday and its live... :clap:

Robbie_Dee
15-10-06, 08:19 AM
OMG...no funniest home video shows!!!! noooo

Meh
15-10-06, 09:56 AM
Fight in the first game was awesome, but im hoping for a little more footy in this next one, though the kiwis need to fix this quick burnout problem of theirs.

Go_The_Doggies
15-10-06, 05:50 PM
Well the issue you have is that Motu Tony and Jason Cayless who played last night both got injured quite badly, especially Cayless and you might not get them back.

It should be a cracker though, I can't wait for next Saturday and its live... :clap:
Omg..when I woke up..went downstairs..the first thing my mum said to me was "Motu Tony and Jason Cayless both got injured this morning" i said "your ****ing kidding" but she wasnt.

*sigh* Was really looking forward to having them in the side.

Ooh next week will be a cracker..its a revenge game, :emp: , for both sides.

Poida
15-10-06, 06:37 PM
since its rugby league im tipping the kiwis to win.

Grimmace
15-10-06, 07:16 PM
since its rugby league im tipping the kiwis to win.
And since i can i call you TRAITOR and just for betraying the Aussies we are going to smash the Kiwis and rub you face in it.

only kidding mate.

Poida
15-10-06, 07:18 PM
And since i can i call you TRAITOR and just for betraying the Aussies we are going to smash the Kiwis and rub you face in it.

only kidding mate.
gees was gonna say whats the biggy if i tip kiwis.
i wouldve taken it quite personally if u did call me a traitor.

Grimmace
15-10-06, 07:19 PM
gees was gonna say whats the biggy if i tip kiwis.
i wouldve taken it quite personally if u did call me a traitor.
Yeah thats why put only kidding there but its your freedom of chocie to pick who ever you want im only having fun with ya.

Steelers
15-10-06, 07:22 PM
I think the Kiwis will win, and I hope the Kiwis win :)

Grimmace
15-10-06, 07:24 PM
No worries mate and to stop me from spamming this thread Ill tip the Aussies by 20 or more points.Due to the injuries to Motu Tony and Jason Cayless.
P.S Please CH 9 can we hae a better commentary team please.

Poida
15-10-06, 07:26 PM
Yeah thats why put only kidding there but its your freedom of chocie to pick who ever you want im only having fun with ya.
yeh i did see that i was just saying.
i get a bit edgy about that sort of thing.

Queenslander
16-10-06, 06:27 AM
Mason vows revenge
Sunday, 15 October 2006 @ 10:41 AM
sportal.com.au

Willie Mason has vowed to get even with David Kidwell after a shoulder charge from the Kiwi left the big Australian forward bloodied and dazed in a spiteful Tri-Nations clash.

http://www.sportal.com.au/photos/news/089725news.jpg

During the opening tri-nations clash, Mason was left with a big egg under his right eye, courtesy of a fierce shoulder charge from Kidwell.

"I don't know if you would call it a big hit - it was more like a cheap shot," Mason told the Sunday Telegraph.

"(Kidwell) came in from the side like he always does. I never see him taking the ball in the middle of the ruck, so I don't care what he says. Do I owe him one? Yes I do."

Mason was also the centre of attention after he was found on camera to be disrespecting the Kiwi haka before the match.

During the traditional haka Mason appeared to mouth the words "What the f... is that? F... off."

Kidwell denies the claims that Mason's pre-match spray was the reason behind the bone-crunching collision.

"I am Maori and Kiwi and the haka is very close to my heart," Kidwell said.

"I actually didn't know he was doing that. Someone told me after the game. They thought that's why I did it (shoulder charge) but it wasn't. But he better not do it again."

Australian coach Ricky Stuart is confident that Mason will be fit and ready to face New Zealand in the re-match at Telstra Dome on October 21st.

"He got a really bad head knock," Stuart said.

"It looked like a clash of heads with the injury to his eye. Hopefully it is not his eye socket. We seem to think he looks ok at the moment."

The match was a physical clash with Melbourne Storm star Matt King thrown into advertising boards by Manu Vatuvei.

King retaliated, throwing punches at Vatuvei, with nearly every player on the pitch running in to remonstrate.

zacaroo
16-10-06, 09:09 AM
i cant wait hopefully the game has as much or even more tension than the first game in the series..i think nz by 6..

Go_The_Doggies
16-10-06, 09:51 AM
Mason can bring it!!

Kidwell can handle Mason's jandal :D..or should I say "thong" :p

Grimmace
16-10-06, 10:07 AM
Cheap shot' angers Stuart
From Steve Mascord in Auckland
October 16, 2006

AUSTRALIA coach Ricky Stuart says his forwards are seething over David Kidwell's hit on Willie Mason, and he challenged the New Zealand back rower last night to run at them on Saturday night.

In a biting assessment of Kidwell's 25th-minute shoulder charge on prop Mason during Saturday night's 30-18 win at Mount Smart Stadium, Stuart questioned the Melbourne veteran's courage in running the ball.

Stuart's anger comes amid urgent calls for changes to the Tri-Nations judiciary system to prevent the tournament degenerating into a wild farce.

"I'm actually quite excited that the boys are dirty on it," Stuart said at Auckland Airport late yesterday.

"David Kidwell got Petero Civoniceva with a cheap shot in the grand final. He came from side-on with Willie.

"That's all fine but then David won't run the ball back at these blokes.

"David will get the football and he'll be running at Johnathan Thurston. It's all well and good playing tough in defence. I haven't seen David Kidwell play too tough with the football."

The comments threaten to turn Saturday night's return encounter into a powderkeg.

With Kidwell a Melbourne favourite, his annointing as public enemy No.1 by the Australians should guarantee promoters a huge crowd at Telstra Dome.

Stuart continued: "Passion is terrific - as long as people can take what you give. That's one thing David Kidwell is yet to live up to. Kidwell's happy to give it. I'll drop this subject when I see Kidwell wanting to run the ball in and around the middle of our forward pack, more so than running at Johnathan Thurston.

"I know a lot of our boys are aware of that fact."

Kidwell claimed after the incident, which left Mason with severe bruising below his left eye and has him needing scans today for a possible facial fracture, that it was already "forgotten" among the players.

But Stuart said: "It's all forgotten if you want to take your end of the deal, too.

"It's easy to come in and take a cheap shot when blokes are running the football and then you get the football, you run at the halves.

The way he got Petero with a cheap shot in the grand final and then the shot on Willie - it doesn't go un-noticed by the boys."

Australia centre Matt King said he expected the tough nature of Saturday night's Test to be a theme for the rest of the series.

"This series is going to be fired up," King said.

"(Great Britain prop) Stuart Fielden is already talking about the Poms and how physical they're going to be.

"I think it will be an old school series, which I think everyone is looking forward to."

A flaw in the triangular series' judiciary process has raised fears about the amount of foul play fans will be subjected to in coming Tests.

Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad last night endorsed calls for an independent committee to review suspected foul play during the remaining six Tri-Nations Tests.

Under the current rules, no disciplinary action can be taken against a player unless he is placed on report or sent off by a referee.

Referee Ashley Klein did not place Kidwell on report.

Both teams also have a small 30-minute window after a game to lodge a protest against any incident.

The matter will be further discussed this week and Noad agreed an independent body must be used to review foul play.

"I'd support that theory," Noad said.

"I think the NRL system works pretty well in general.

"I can't see any reason why that system couldn't be implemented. They could use an independent body."

Source: Daily Telegraph

Go_The_Doggies
16-10-06, 12:24 PM
It wasnt a cheap shot..was a bloody awesome shot!!

I wish everyone would shut the **** up about it, get over it, just sort it all out on Saturday night!!

Darren Lockyer
16-10-06, 12:42 PM
It wasnt a cheap shot..was a bloody awesome shot!!

I wish everyone would shut the **** up about it, get over it, just sort it all out on Saturday night!!
it was a cheap shot and i'll leave it at that

Go_The_Doggies
16-10-06, 12:44 PM
it was a cheap shot and i'll leave it at that
It wasnt cheap..ima go look at it again..for like the millionth time..

There was no way in hell that was a cheap shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj3Ks7OXRL4

LMAO at the commentators "he gave him a haka" ... "big willie..wonder whats on those lips now" Maori's are funny. :rotflmao:

Grimmace
16-10-06, 02:23 PM
Maitua to miss Test
From Steve Mascord in Auckland
October 16, 2006

AUSTRALIA is set to hand out another new cap for Saturday night's return bout with New Zealand, with lock Reni Maitua likely to miss one game with ankle ligament damage,

Brisbane's Sam Thaiday and Sydney Roosters' Anthony Tupou are in line to move on to the bench, with Andrew Ryan tipped to start at the Telstra Dome.

Thaiday and Tupou bBoth had roller-coaster rides this season, with the former dropped to the Queensland Cup after making his Origin debut and the latter failing to hold his place in the Country Origin side.

The Australia squad flew out for Melbourne last night.

The players have a day off training today, with a school appearance their only commitment.

They have just three training runs planned this week.

Capital_Shark
16-10-06, 02:42 PM
Lets make the tri nations a lot less complicated. Heres how:

Play a best out 3 series between the Kiwis and the Poms, who ever wins, give them the second place trophy.

Obviously I'm tipping Australia to win this.

Meh
16-10-06, 03:13 PM
It wasnt cheap..ima go look at it again..for like the millionth time..

There was no way in hell that was a cheap shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj3Ks7OXRL4

LMAO at the commentators "he gave him a haka" ... "big willie..wonder whats on those lips now" Maori's are funny. :rotflmao:

My god cant an aussie forward get nailed without them launching a campaign to defend why he got knocked on his ass? there was nothing cheap about it, a straight shoulder charge on a hint of an angle, he was first in line to make the tackle aswell. "I think he gave him about 3 verses of the haka in that one" i heard one announcer say :laugh:

Robbie_Dee
16-10-06, 03:19 PM
My god cant an aussie forward get nailed without them launching a campaign to defend why he got knocked on his ass? I reckon! Mason should just get over it. It was a bloody hard hit, not cheap. im an aussie fan, but i can still see it wasnt cheap.

But I'd love to see Mason deal a little pay back :dead:

Grimmace
16-10-06, 04:01 PM
Kangaroos Vs Kiwis PreviewSource: NRL

Monday, October 16, 2006 - 1:33 PM

Game two of the 2006 Tri-Nations series, again to be played between Australia and New Zealand, should contain plenty of fireworks with both teams vowing to once again play a tough game amid claims from Willie Mason and Australian coach Ricky Stuart that David Kidwell?s hit on the Aussie star was a ?cheap shot?.

The war of words that started after Saturday?s spiteful game in New Zealand has boiled over to this weekend?s game with the Aussies vowing to get revenge and the Kiwis predictably standing their ground.

Australian coach Stuart has added fuel to the fire by blasting Kidwell?s style of play and insinuating that the tough second rower is a serial offender.

?David Kidwell got Petero Civinoceva with a cheap shot in the Grand Final. He came from side-on with Willie. That?s all fine but then David won?t run the ball back at these blokes. I haven?t seen David Kidwell play too tough with the football?.

In a match that will feature a physical, aggressive style from both teams, the edge will go to the Kiwis who will be more aggressive than usual after seeing Mason allegedly disrespect the haka.

The Kangaroos showed that they are the better side with the ball, and are able to play a much swifter and skilful game, while the Kiwis are happy to bash the ball up the middle and then look for their big backs to dominate by running over the top of tired defenders.

They can tire those defenders out by employing their favoured tactic of running some of their large backrowers including Frank Pritchard and David Kidwell on the fringes of the ruck with the intention of creating chances for the likes of Vatuvei and Matai to capitalise on the opposition?s fatigue later in the game.

This can also have a reverse effect, especially when some of those big forwards defend on the edges where the likes of Gasnier, Inglis and Hunt can use their fancy footwork and pace to get around the less mobile New Zealanders and create chances for Australia down the flanks.

The equation for New Zealand is simple: if they are to defeat the Kangaroos they not only have to come up with the big bone- jarring hits that they are well known for but also be aware that they cannot afford to give away penalties that give an attack minded Australian side field position.

You can bet the game will be physical with the Aussies reportedly being filthy on Kidwell?s hit on Mason, but if the Kangaroo forwards go out hell bent on retaliation then they may suffer on the scoreboard.

If one thing went the way of the Kiwis in game one it was that they were physically dominant and they would be confident in taking on the Australian side in a battle up the middle.

The loss of Reni Maitua with an ankle injury will most likely mean that Andrew Ryan will start at lock with either Sam Thaiday or Anthony Tupou making their test debut from the bench.

Key Match Ups

Willie Mason Vs David Kidwell

While Mason is talking the talk, Kidwell is walking the walk, and in this Trans Tasman battle of tough men the Kiwi has let his on field defence do the talking, and the damage to an angry Mason. There is no doubt that these two will clash at some stage of the game and when they do their will be fireworks, in a battle that could turn the Tri-Nations series between the two teams into a war of attrition.

Matt King Vs Manu Vatuvei

Both are big and strong, and possess searing pace, but it will be a physical battle between these two thoroughbreds when they clash for the second time. They were the instigators in the brawl that started it all in game one, and Vatuvei took the points in their battle. However King never stays quiet for long and the big centre come winger will be looking to produce his absolute best on Saturday night in front of his home crowd.

Best Bet

This will be a tight game and with the likelihood of early fireworks increasing by the hour, there should be plenty of penalties given away. Take the settling penalty goal as the first scoring play of the game.

Buy Tickets

Source: NRL

Boofhead
16-10-06, 04:07 PM
Loved every second of that shot, too bad mason didn't stay down. :P

Victor
16-10-06, 04:28 PM
nothing yet mentioning about jamie lyon :upset:

oh well i guess its a bit too soon

Go_The_Doggies
16-10-06, 04:36 PM
My god cant an aussie forward get nailed without them launching a campaign to defend why he got knocked on his ass? there was nothing cheap about it, a straight shoulder charge on a hint of an angle, he was first in line to make the tackle aswell. "I think he gave him about 3 verses of the haka in that one" i heard one announcer say :laugh:
Ahh gotta love Richie Barnett and that other random fella :D..Tawera wasnt commentating was he?

jake86
16-10-06, 05:07 PM
It definately was not a cheap shot. If it was Mason with the hit he'd still be talking himself up. Mind you he has plenty of guts to say what he did during the haka. I'd be busy ****ing myself

Hope NZ win this one. I want international football to be alive and well, for that to happen the Aussies will have to lose a few. GO KIWIS

Steelers
16-10-06, 05:42 PM
It was nowhere near being a cheap shot! It was one of the best hits I have seen all year, and I loved it! :D Ricky Stuart hasn't left his whinging behind at the Roosters unfortunately :(

Darren Lockyer
16-10-06, 06:12 PM
mason will show him this week and david kidwell will be crying like those sheep shaggers do

Poida
16-10-06, 06:49 PM
lol mason deserved what he got.
awesome stuff by kidwell

Meh
16-10-06, 07:27 PM
We've no respect for Kiwi Kidwell: Mason
Monday, October 16, 2006 - 5:30 PM

The simmering trans-Tasman rugby league feud has boiled over with Australian Willie Mason saying he and his teammates have no respect for Kiwi enforcer David Kidwell.

Mason was hit heavily by Kidwell during Australia's 30-18 Tri Nations win at the weekend, leaving the Aussie with a suspected fractured eye socket.

But Mason says Kidwell hasn't got any respect from the Australian forward pack, echoing Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart's comments earlier on Monday that the New Zealand back-rower lacks courage.

Stuart accused Kidwell of being a cheap shot merchant and running at smaller players rather than taking on big forwards.

The weekend match featured several spiteful incidents and allegations that Mason showed disrespect for the traditional New Zealand Haka by mouthing obscenities at the Kiwi players while it was being performed.

It has set the stage for a fiery rematch at Melbourne's Telstra Dome on Saturday night.

Source: AAP

He is talking up this hit like kidwell used a can of mace just before he hit him, its gone on so long im starting to think mason isnt the sportsman i thought he was, as long as the aussies hold on to this dillusion that the kiwis are out to cheap shot them, the more theyll overthink each tackle and the softer they'll play IMO. Personally i hope he gets it again, and in the cleanest tackle possible.

Steelers
16-10-06, 07:32 PM
Willie Mason and Ricky Stuart are deadset fools IMO. So what if Kidwell runs at the little men, that seems like the SMART thing to do doesn't it? Try and break a tackle from a smaller player and break the line? These two should just shut their mouths.

Meh
16-10-06, 07:56 PM
Just reading something, apparently mason said "Isn't Brent Webb an Aborigine? Look at him. Get f---ed" during the haka...well that explains it all!

accept when he learns to read his own lips on video he must notice he says "whats that?. get ****ed" also he says in his explanation that he was standing next to hodges while having this joke? the video link above disproves that too.

Queenslander
16-10-06, 07:59 PM
Willie Mason and Ricky Stuart are deadset fools IMO. So what if Kidwell runs at the little men, that seems like the SMART thing to do doesn't it? Try and break a tackle from a smaller player and break the line? These two should just shut their mouths.

I agree 100%. I think Mason should just get over the fact that he got owned ;) Mason did what he did, and he got what he deserved.

Slaytera
17-10-06, 06:53 AM
This is gonna be a great game. I really love the new Australia logo.

Darren Lockyer
17-10-06, 07:02 AM
yeah but it's also mind games there playing so he runs at the biggger players

Titanium_BD1103
17-10-06, 08:24 AM
This is a real shame for Reni... I can't believe his luck, get well soon mate and here's hoping you can have another crack at the 13 at Rep Level next season, cause you are a great player.... :(

Maitua's season over
October 17, 2006

AUSTRALIA utility Reni Maitua has been ruled out of the Tri-Nations series with an ankle injury.

Scans have revealed a distal syndesmosis injury in the Bulldogs player's right ankle, ruling him out of all remaining games in the series with New Zealand and Great Britain.

Willie Mason has been cleared of injury and will be available for selection for Saturday's match with New Zealand at Mebourne's Telstra Dome.

Agence France-Presse

DeeGan
17-10-06, 09:45 AM
Any word on a replacement?

Paul Gallen springs to mind.

Titanium_BD1103
17-10-06, 10:07 AM
Any word on a replacement?

Paul Gallen springs to mind.

Not ATM, I think for now they are going to go with Ryan in the starting line up and sort it out after Melbourne.

I reckon that O'Donnell will play 13 and Ryan at 12 though... but it will be interesting to see whether they bring anyone in, and yes I agree Gallen deserves a run.

Capital_Shark
17-10-06, 10:14 AM
Forget the club I support for a minute, but if Gallen doesn't get a crack the selectors have to be kidding themselves. I think he was more deserving that Maitua to start with.

Titanium_BD1103
17-10-06, 10:22 AM
Forget the club I support for a minute, but if Gallen doesn't get a crack the selectors have to be kidding themselves. I think he was more deserving that Maitua to start with.

Nah, no way.. sorry mate and this isn't from my Bulldogs side but from my league side, Reni has been the in-form and going great, Reni has slotted into an unknown role and basically made it his own this season, he was able to keep SBW from getting what many thought was his role and represented City in the role with due distinction, National honours were definitely deserving of Maitua.

Gallen is very good, and I agree if he doesn't get selected now there would be a bit of a concern as he deserves to be there, but Maitua was the inform lock going into the Tri-Nations, well behind Carroll, especially with the performances he put in the finals series, and therefore when Carroll went out, Reni was the obvious replacement.

Grimmace
17-10-06, 10:24 AM
Itd be interesting to see who they pick personally though i would pick Tounge over Gallen.

Capital_Shark
17-10-06, 11:39 AM
Itd be interesting to see who they pick personally though i would pick Tounge over Gallen.

I forgot Tounge!

Yes, I would pick Tounge over both Gallen and Maitua.

Grimmace
17-10-06, 11:42 AM
I forgot Tounge!

Yes, I would pick Tounge over both Gallen and Maitua.
Chancea are theyll pick Waterhouse or somebody along those lines but personally it should be between Tounge and Gallen. Chances are if it was out of those two itll be Gallen

jake86
17-10-06, 11:52 AM
What about hoffman or johnson?

Tounge would go well but i dont think he will get picked unfortunataly...

DeeGan
17-10-06, 12:21 PM
Ryan Hoffman - "out of sight, out of mind" - great call. I am a big fan and had him as a bolter. We need to replace Maitua and Gallen or Hoffman would be ideal candidates. I would definately prefer over Waterhouse.

Grimmace
17-10-06, 12:31 PM
IF waterhouse got in id laugh my head off and then mabye call for the selectors heads.
Hofman slipped my mind but hed be the best choice but i dont know who the selectors will pick.

Go_The_Doggies
17-10-06, 12:33 PM
Ffs poor Reni..i feel sorry for him..but at the same time..this is good for NZ. Hope he gets a full recovery and is 100% for the '07 NRL season!!!

Go_The_Doggies
17-10-06, 12:36 PM
mason will show him this week and david kidwell will be crying like those sheep shaggers do
Lol..we don't cry..we multiply!! :p

And Kidwell will stick to his guns!! :purdy:

Just reading something, apparently mason said "Isn't Brent Webb an Aborigine? Look at him. Get f---ed" during the haka...well that explains it all!

accept when he learns to read his own lips on video he must notice he says "whats that?. get ****ed" also he says in his explanation that he was standing next to hodges while having this joke? the video link above disproves that too.
Mmhmm I have said that on a couple of other forums tbh.

And LOL Webby aint even a abo..hes a Torris Straight Islander.

I loved the news this morning..where Kidwell said about Webby "Hes as Kiwi as me" lol thats Kiwi..Kidwell is the 2nd most passionate player in the team next to Rubes!!..and Brent Webb also said "I love playing for the Kiwis" .. :)

Go_The_Doggies
17-10-06, 12:57 PM
McClennan Makes Two Changes To Kiwis
17/10/2006
NZPA
New Zealand rugby league coach Brian McClennan has made two changes to the team for Saturday's second Tri-Nations test against Australia in Melbourne.

Bradford wing Shontayne Hape replaces Tame Tupou, while South Sydney forward David Fa'alogo comes in for Frank Pritchard on the interchange bench.

The Kiwis team is: Brent Webb, Shontayne Hape, Iosia Soliola, Steve Matai, Manu Vatuvei, Nigel Vagana, Stacey Jones, Ruben Wiki (c), Dene Halatau, Roy Asotasi, David Kidwell, Tony Puletua, Simon Mannering.

Interchange: Jerome Ropati, Nathan Cayless, Adam Blair, David Fa'alogo.

The Kangaroos team is: Karmichael Hunt, Matt King, Mark Gasnier, Justin Hodges, Greg Inglis, Darren Lockyer (c), Johnathan Thurston, Willie Mason, Cameron Smith, Petero Civoniceva, Andrew Ryan, Nathan Hindmarsh, Luke O'Donnell.

Interchange: Mark O'Meley, Shaun Berrigan, Anthony Tupou, Brent Kite.

Victor
17-10-06, 02:07 PM
no jamie lyon :box: darn it...

anthony tupou ay.......

Titanium_BD1103
17-10-06, 02:09 PM
Not ATM, I think for now they are going to go with Ryan in the starting line up and sort it out after Melbourne.

I reckon that O'Donnell will play 13 and Ryan at 12 though... but it will be interesting to see whether they bring anyone in, and yes I agree Gallen deserves a run.

Yep my prediction which was pretty obvious to guess, was right. Ryan to 12, O'Donnell to 13.

Bulldogs captain Andrew Ryan has been called in to the starting side for the Kangaroos in place of the injured Reni Maitua.

Ryan moves from the bench to the second row, with Luke O'Donnell moving to the vacant lock position. Anthony Tupou will make his Australian debut on the bench.

The full team for Game 2 of the Gillette Tri Nations match against New Zealand at Telstra Dome, Melbourne on Saturday October 21st is:

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Matt King
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Justin Hodges
5. Greg Inglis
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Willie Mason
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petero Civoniceva
11. Andrew Ryan
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
13. Luke O'Donnell

Interchange:
14. Mark O'Meley
15. Shaun Berrigan
16. Anthony Tupou
17. Brent Kite

Grimmace
17-10-06, 02:10 PM
Antonio Kafusi is Maituas replacment just heard on ther news

Capital_Shark
17-10-06, 02:25 PM
Antonio Kafusi is Maituas replacment just heard on ther news

Which asylum does the ARL contract their selectors from, does anybody know?

Steelers
17-10-06, 05:23 PM
Which asylum does the ARL contract their selectors from, does anybody know?

I think they just randomly pick from a couple of the bigger asylums on the West Coast :p

Queenslander
17-10-06, 07:46 PM
Tupou to debut on league night of spite
Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 7:52 PM

Debutant Sydney Roosters backrower Anthony Tupou is set to become a target for New Zealand's fired-up forwards in rugby league's trans-Tasman night of spite at Telstra Dome on Saturday.

Tupou has been named for his Australian Test debut, replacing injured Reni Maitua for the Tri-Nations match against New Zealand.

Maitua was forced to pull out of the series with an ankle injury sustained in the Kangaroos' 30-18 win over the Kiwis last weekend.

It is a stunning rise for Tupou, who has not played State of Origin football and whose only representative honour was an appearance for the Country Origin team in 2005.

The 23-year-old has only played in the NRL for three years, admitting he was in shock to even make the extended Tri-Nations squad, let alone the team.

Andrew Ryan moves into the Australian starting side, while Tupou will debut off the bench.

And he can expect to get plenty of attention from a New Zealand squad enraged by Willie Mason's alleged disrespect of the Haka and the war of words which has followed since.

Tupou, a quietly spoken former altar boy from Newcastle, said he was prepared for whatever the Kiwis threw at him.

"You always expect being an international, that sort of stuff is what you expect. You wouldn't expect any less," said Tupou.

Tupou's father is of Tongan descent, and he revealed he was sounded out by New Zealand about the prospect of playing for them.

Instead he has pledged his allegiance to Australia, saying it was always his goal to make a Kangaroos team.

Controversial forward Mason has been cleared of any serious facial injury after being smashed by New Zealand's David Kidwell during the Tri-Nations opener and will play.

Australian coach Ricky Stuart said there would be no repeat of Mason's mouthing obscenities during the Haka, with his players set to stand in silence and face the Kiwis while they perform the traditional Maori challenge.

"I think Willie understands it's probably fairly important for him to keep his mouth shut," Stuart said.

"We'll be standing there arm-in-arm again, ready to go into battle.

"I've got a lot of respect for the Haka and New Zealand culture, and I won't be instructing the players to do anything different."

Australia has also called up another player of Tongan and New Zealand descent into its wider Tri-Nations squad to replace Maitua - Melbourne Storm prop Antonio Kaufusi - who was born in Tonga and raised in New Zealand.

The 21-year-old had been the centre of a tug-of-war for his services with both the Kiwis and Aussies eager for him to pledge his allegiance.

"After the grand final (New Zealand coach) Brian McClennan was talking to David Kidwell on the phone, and Kiddy thought I should have a chat to him," Kaufusi said.

"I had a chat to Brian, he asked for my thoughts, and I told him my heart was set on playing for Queensland.

"I'm very excited. A bit shellshocked and surprised, but I'm definitely fit and fired up if they need me on Saturday night."

The Kiwis have made two changes to their team, with Shontayne Hape to replace Brisbane's Tame Tupou in the starting side, while forward David Fa'alogo takes over from Penrith's Frank Pritchard on the interchange bench.

Australia: Karmichael Hunt, Matt King, Mark Gasnier, Justin Hodges, Greg Inglis, Darren Lockyer (capt), Johnathan Thurston, Willie Mason, Cameron Smith, Petero Civoniceva, Andrew Ryan, Nathan Hindmarsh, Luke O'Donnell. Interchange: Mark O'Meley, Shaun Berrigan, Anthony Tupou, Brent Kite.

New Zealand: Brent Webb, Shontayne Hape, Iosia Soliola, Steve Matai, Manu Vatuvei, Nigel Vagana, Stacey Jones, Ruben Wiki (capt), Dene Halatau, Roy Asotasi, David Kidwell, Tony Puletua, Simon Mannering. Interchange: Jerome Ropati, Nathan Cayless, Adam Blair, David Fa'alogo.

davo
17-10-06, 07:59 PM
mason needs to learn to keep his big mouth shut,notice he didnt get up to quick,never like the bloke anyway to mouthy, should be a great clash. :clap:

Robbie_Dee
17-10-06, 10:02 PM
he can talk the talk but can he walk the walk?

Poida
17-10-06, 10:03 PM
he can talk the talk but can he walk the walk?
lol doubt it. hes not even that good a talker

Grimmace
18-10-06, 07:05 AM
Mason in doubt for rematch
By Steve Mascord
October 18, 2006

WILLIE Mason is fighting a private battle with migraines and dizziness and is in doubt for Saturday's return Tri-Nations bout against New Zealand.

While the war of words continued to rage around him yesterday, Mason was forced to pull out of training with bleeding from the nose - and is still suffering severe headaches as a result of his clash with David Kidwell in last Saturday's Test.

The Australia prop was yesterday named in coach Ricky Stuart's side for the Telstra Dome grudge match after scans cleared him of a crack to the right eye socket.

But the fiery forward is no certainty to play.

"Basically he's had a whack in the head and today at training he suffered bleeding from the nostril which is not that surprising," said team doctor Hugh Hazard.

"He is also having headaches. He hasn't fully recovered from what happened to him.

"It's like anything, it will be a matter of observation over the next few days. If it doesn't settle down, he won't play."

Mason played down the concern, saying: "I reckon I'm fine. It was just a precautionary thing with the doc that I come off.

"Because I had a head clash, I'm still suffering some after-effects but I believe I'll be OK.

"I think I'm clear of the headaches now."

The drama compounds a week of tension following the Kangaroos bruising first-up win.

With just a handful of fans watching on at yesterday's training session, Hazard was called from a sideline conversation to attend to Mason 20 minutes from the end of a long, physical training run.

After conferring with the doctor, Mason sat out the rest of the session alongside fellow props Mark O'Meley and Petero Civoniceva, who trained separately because of niggling injuries.

Coach Ricky Stuart said: "He came off there with a bleeding nose that's related to the eye. He's still got some headaches. I think he'll be right by the end of the week."

Source: Daily telegraph

Grimmace
18-10-06, 07:15 AM
Tupou is well connected
By Steve Mascord
October 18, 2006

NEW Australia interchange forward Anthony Tupou believes his Sydney Roosters connection with coach Ricky Stuart is the main reason he beat Brisbane's Sam Thaiday into the side to play New Zealand on Saturday night.

With lock Reni Maitua (ankle) ruled out for the rest of the Tri-Nations, Tupou comes on to the bench for the Telstra Dome rematch, while another Tongan-eligible star, Melbourne's Anthonio Kaufusi, joins the extended squad.

Both players have turned down New Zealand approaches - Tupou two years ago and Kaufusi during the NRL finals.

"I thought it was out of me or Sammy Thaiday," said Tupou, who plays under Australia coach Stuart at Sydney Roosters.

"I'm just grateful Stick (Stuart) has shown a bit of faith in me because he sort of knows me. I've been playing with him for three years. He's backed me there."

But Stuart insisted Tupou - dumped by Country Origin this year - had earned his spot, and pointed to his progress since joining the tri-colours from Newcastle, when he was "about 126kg and had about 150mm of body fat".

"If he didn't have such a strong mind, he mightn't have got through that first 15 months of football because he was very much overweight," he said. "He couldn't really play rugby league. There was a lot of work to do."

ARL officials demanded Kaufusi declare which country he wanted to play for before the grand final kicked off.

"I never really thought that I'd actually get the chance," Kaufusi said. "For it to happen so soon is a bit bizarre."

PROMETHEUS
18-10-06, 01:32 PM
So how many Sharks will make the test team next year? :curse:

Poida
18-10-06, 01:33 PM
lol just dont count on kimmorley ever making the team

Meh
18-10-06, 02:11 PM
I really hope mason is able to play. bring on the biff :box:

Meh
18-10-06, 02:42 PM
FIEN A FINE CHANCE TO MAKE TEST DEBUT THIS WEEKEND
Vodafone Warriors hooker Nathan Fien has edged closer to making his test debut for his adopted country New Zealand.

Claiming a New Zealand-born grandmother, Fien, born in Queensland, declared his availability for the Kiwis for the 2006 Gillette Tri-Nations.
Coach Brian McClennan was keen to have him, too, although a nagging back complaint has prevented him coming into contention until now.

Fien injured his back in the Vodafone Warriors' win against Cronulla in early August, missed the next two outings against his former North Queensland club and Melbourne, played 42 minutes off the bench against the Roosters and then missed the last match of the club's season against Brisbane.

He has been on a slow road to recovery since but the signs are he could be a late selection for this Saturday night's Gillette Tri-Nations clash against Australia in Melbourne.

While he wasn't named in the Kiwi side yesterday - Dene Halatau was again selected at hooker - McClennan has indicated the 27-year-old Fien has been making significant progress.

Fien ran at dummy half for much of the Kiwis' training session in the Melbourne suburbs on Tuesday.

It was a strong hint he was close to a test debut after joining the squad officially this week.

"He's coming along in leaps and bounds," said McClennan.
"Three weeks ago we weren't anticipating having him available until about November 11.

"Whether he's right for this week, I don't know, we'll see how he pulls up. There's a chance."

Source: Warriors.co.nz

Capital_Shark
18-10-06, 02:46 PM
lol just dont count on kimmorley ever making the team

Be a bit rough if the Dally M and premiership winning half back didn't get a gig, don't ya think?

Queenslander
18-10-06, 05:53 PM
Rainbow Roos
Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 4:19 PM

The Kangaroos will boast a startling new look as they help young kids chase rainbows at a special training session on Thursday in Melbourne.

For one of the few times since 1928, the Australian Rugby League team will put aside the Green and Gold and exchange the famous jersey for a specially designed ?rainbow kit? to show their support for Project Rainbow.

The brightly coloured jerseys shorts and socks are guaranteed to turn heads when the team trains at 10am at Olympic Park tomorrow.

Project Rainbow is an initiative of the Sony Foundation in association with Harvey Norman, Domayne and Joyce Mayne stores across Australia, which raises funds through the sale of wristbands to support Children?s Holiday Camps.

The four-day camps give high school students an opportunity to take time out of their school holidays to care for disabled children. The enriching experience also provides respite for parents whose lives revolve around the 24-hour care of their child.

BrisbaneBroncosRule
20-10-06, 08:25 AM
I predict a 30-10 win by the Aussies.

Queenslander
20-10-06, 04:04 PM
Mason ruled out of New Zealand clash
Friday, October 20, 2006 - 5:05 PM

Australian forward Willie Mason has been ruled out of Saturday night's Tri Nations rugby league Test against New Zealand at Telstra Dome.

Mason is still suffering headaches after copping a heavy hit from New Zealander David Kidwell during the Tri Nations opener last weekend in Auckland.

Team doctor Hugh Hazard ruled Mason out on Friday, although he is expected to return for Australia's next match against Great Britain in two weeks' time.

Mark O'Meley will replace Mason in the Kangaroos' starting line-up on Saturday night, while Sam Thaiday has been promoted to make his international debut off the interchange bench.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plus more on a previous article:

Aussies Change Colours
Friday, October 20, 2006 - 4:48 PM

For one of the few times since 1928, the Australian Rugby League team has put aside the traditional Green and Gold for a specially designed ?rainbow kit? to show their support for Project Rainbow and support kids in need.

http://www.nrl.com/Portals/0//Galleries/11568/320/hind_thai.jpg

The brightly coloured jerseys shorts and socks turned heads when the team trained at Olympic Park in preparation for game 2 of the Tri Nations against New Zealand at the Telstradome.

The Kangaroos will be back in the Green and Gold for Saturday night?s test against the Kiwis but will remain committed supporters of Project Rainbow.

Project Rainbow is an initiative of the Sony Foundation in association with Harvey Norman, Domayne and Joyce Mayne stores across Australia, which raises funds through the sale of wristbands to support Children?s Holiday Camps.

The four-day camps give high school students an opportunity to take time out of their school holidays to care for disabled children. The enriching experience also provides respite for parents whose lives revolve around the 24-hour care of their child.

Two sets of the colourful training gear including jersey, shorts and socks have been specially signed by the entire Kangaroos team and will be auctioned off at the Sony Foundation True Colours Ball to be held in Sydney on October 21st.

Kangaroos forward Nathan Hindmarsh has recorded a special message for the night as he will be unable to attend because he will be on the field at the Telstradome trying to keep Australia?s perfect record in this series intact.

Robbie_Dee
20-10-06, 04:07 PM
OMG!!! no willie!!! I was looking foward to seeing big mason fire up and give kidwell a little payback! Oh man, the kiwi's will think australia/Mason is a chicken!

[BroncosGirl]
20-10-06, 04:10 PM
Wooooot Sammy! Congrats to him! :D!

Titanium_BD1103
20-10-06, 04:14 PM
Shame for Willie, although I am sure he had tried his hardest to get there, but his health has to come first, Shrek will do a fine job in the starting line up like last week and Thaiday gets a well deserved run... I know Sam will do well and give as good as he gets.

I am sure Willie will fire him up to go get Kidwell too, this is going to be great fun... :)

GOOD LUCK SAM FOR TOMORROW... :D

Steelers
20-10-06, 04:18 PM
Dam, I was hoping to see Willie make an attempt at getting revenge, only to fall flat on his back again :p Good luck to Sam Thaiday though, a fitting end to a super year for him.

Steelers
20-10-06, 04:19 PM
http://www.nrl.com/Portals/0//Galleries/11568/320/hind_thai.jpg

Whats going on with Nathan's moustache? Reminds me of Jason Ryles earlier this year :laugh:

Queenslander
20-10-06, 04:22 PM
I guess we will all have to wait until the tri-nations final, or worse next year to see this again ;)

http://www.foxsports.com.au/common/imagedata/0,5001,5280340,00.jpg

Its good to see Sam Thaiday finally get his chance to wear the green and gold. His season this year has been exceptional. And finally there are more Queenslander's then New South Welshman in the Australian side :D

Robbie_Dee
20-10-06, 04:42 PM
It is good to see Thaidy get a spot in the team, i really like his style of play. He's probably one of my favourite front rowers atm. i'm sure he'll do australia proud! And hopefully take masons role in dealing new zealand some punishment :satan:

Darren Lockyer
20-10-06, 06:19 PM
']Wooooot Sammy! Congrats to him! :D!
definately

Go_The_Doggies
21-10-06, 08:17 AM
Damn was looking forward to this whole big revenge saga. Ohwell.

GO THE KIWIS.

Darren Lockyer
21-10-06, 11:21 AM
Damn was looking forward to this whole big revenge saga. Ohwell.

GO THE KIWIS.
i was to but there will still be a lot of fire with o'meley out there

~Wild Child~
21-10-06, 11:44 AM
Can any one tell me what time the game is on tonight?

Go_The_Doggies
21-10-06, 11:51 AM
Can any one tell me what time the game is on tonight?
8pm Aussie time. 11pm NZ time.

Friggin 3 hour time difference..*cries*

~Wild Child~
21-10-06, 11:53 AM
8pm Aussie time. 11pm NZ time.

Friggin 3 hour time difference..*cries*
You arn't getting it until 11 :!:...disgraceful...*cries* with you
Thanks for that :)

Robbie_Dee
21-10-06, 11:53 AM
Umm, the kick off is at 8, but the tv coverage starts at 7:30;)

Go_The_Doggies
21-10-06, 11:54 AM
You arn't getting it until 11 :!:...disgraceful...*cries* with you
Thanks for that :)
Stoopid Day Light Savings.

Poida
21-10-06, 11:57 AM
i think it starts next week doesnt it?

~Wild Child~
21-10-06, 11:57 AM
Yeah...stoopid channel nine too :( :lol!:

Go_The_Doggies
21-10-06, 12:00 PM
i think it starts next week doesnt it?
Its already started here, started the first sunday of October.

~Wild Child~
21-10-06, 12:01 PM
Umm, the kick off is at 8, but the tv coverage starts at 7:30;)
Thanks Robbie Dee :clap:

Robbie_Dee
21-10-06, 07:54 PM
6-4 at half time, Australia leading

Great game of footy so far. A lot of aggression which is good to see! Inglis is playing awesome! Also superb under the high ball! I think Lockyer should come into first reciever a bit more in the second half, when he got the ball, he seemed to give australia some momentum.

Poida
21-10-06, 08:00 PM
they gotta stop giving lockyer so much ball. thurstons not just some luggage.

Poida
21-10-06, 08:39 PM
no try here obstruction

Snoopys_Gunship
21-10-06, 08:39 PM
try rejected :D

Poida
21-10-06, 08:52 PM
lol damn gasnier wanted to see fieldgoal.golden point wouldve been good

~Wild Child~
21-10-06, 08:53 PM
:D Great win to Australia :clap:

Snoopys_Gunship
21-10-06, 08:53 PM

i would of liked to see that as well but oh well nevermind

Titanium_BD1103
21-10-06, 08:57 PM
Final Score

http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/kangaroos.gifAustralian Kangaroos 20

Tries: Inglis x2, Gasnier

Goals: Thurston 3/3, 1 Penalty Goal

http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/kiwis.gifNew Zealand Kiwis 15

Tries: Soliola x2, Hape

Goals: Jones 1/3, 1 Field Goal

MOM: Greg Inglis (Australia)

Titanium_BD1103
21-10-06, 08:57 PM

Pat, there wouldn't have been golden point, because they are smart and actually give teams a draw in the tri-series, only golden point game is in the finals... :)

But it didn't matter in the end... :D

Robbie_Dee
21-10-06, 09:00 PM
i got 4 words!

What!
A!
Bloody!
Comeback!

I think Inglis will get man of the match! he was outstanding tonight! hes outstanding everynight!

Grimmace
21-10-06, 09:00 PM
We won what a great surpirse thought we were going to loose but yay for winning.
The game was a scrappy affair ill report later but i will say something now.
WTF is cameron smith doing sitting on the bench for 40 minutes straight thats not how he should be used considering he is an 80 minute player.

Steve Dangerous
21-10-06, 09:02 PM
that second try from inglis was blistering.

so.damn.quick.

the lightning of the storm.

Robbie_Dee
21-10-06, 09:05 PM
My heart goes out to you bulldog titan, and all other Kiwi's! :lol!: You musta been so happy, looking so strong, with 5 mins left! then Australia to do what they did, musta been heart braking!

Poida
21-10-06, 09:07 PM
Pat, there wouldn't have been golden point, because they are smart and actually give teams a draw in the tri-series, only golden point game is in the finals... :)

But it didn't matter in the end... :D
lol yeh but i love watching drop goals lhahaa

Grimmace
21-10-06, 09:08 PM
My heart goes out to you bulldog titan, and all other Kiwi's! :lol!: You musta been so happy, looking so strong, with 5 mins left! then Australia to do what they did, musta been heart braking!
LOL since when is TJ a kiwi.

Im worried for the kiwis we had an off night.The kiwis were far improved than last week but still couldnt beat us and they were the better team and yes i am Australian but the fact they still couldnt beats us worries me not for Australias sake but for the trinations sake.

Robbie_Dee
21-10-06, 09:09 PM
lol yeh but i love watching drop goals lhahaalol, yeah me too. except when its a player doing one when playing against the cowboys!

Steelers
21-10-06, 09:11 PM
New Zealand were the better team on the park for 76 minutes of the match, but they lost the game courtesy of 4 minutes of brilliance from the Australians.

Titanium_BD1103
LOL the day I'm a Kiwi Robbie is the day the world is square.... :lol!:

So happy to see us win tonight... we didn't deserve to win but it was a great victory and it showed the true class and spirit of the Australian team to come home and get the prize... :D :D

Inglis is a superstar, its as simple as that he turns matches and makes sensational plays that change momentum, like the 2 tries he scored tonight, both pure class both desperately needed and both most definitely on the brilliance mark... he was the difference tonight.

Steelers
None other than Greg Inglis won the MOTM

Robbie_Dee
21-10-06, 09:12 PM
Im worried for the kiwis we had an off night.The kiwis were far improved than last week but still couldnt beat us and they were the better team and yes i am Australian but the fact they still couldnt beats us worries me not for Australias sake but for the trinations sake.yeah but as far as i am concerned, the kiwis did beat us in 70 of those minutes! In the last 10, australia were amazing and Kiwi's seemed to have lost concentration, probably started to think of the result, instead of focusing on shutting australia down.

Robbie_Dee
21-10-06, 09:14 PM
LOL since when is TJ a kiwi.oh **** i meant go the doggies! lol! :p my bad

Titanium_BD1103
21-10-06, 09:20 PM
None other than Greg Inglis won the MOTM

Thanks for that Steelers, I was wondering who got it... I missed it... :laugh:

I guess that wasn't our best performance tonight, but I know we will get better again, and the fact that the Aussies showed so much spirit to win shows we have what it takes even on a bad day to get home.

Some things on tonight, don't want to dwell too much on the need for improvement stuff but...

- Stick to the game plan: No idea what happened there but last week we had Cameron Smith kicking on the 5th tackle, this week we had Lockyer and then Thurston.. they were so useful as ball runner with Smith kicking last week and yet this week we dropped it.

- Work out the high ball situation: Inglis needs people like Hunt there in case he misses those high balls, he is good normally but with test inexperience, someone like Karmichael there to back up helps the structure and keeps the ball in Green and Gold Hands.

- Carry the ball firmly: I guess this is nitpicking but we need to get better possession of the ball, we kept coughing it up in hits and losing it in heavy momentum.

- Work out Calls: Ok ending on this one cause it a bit lighter, but Hunt and King almost took each other out there in the second half, we need to ensure that don't happen, we don't want 2 class players out due to a collision...:lol!:

Grimmace
21-10-06, 09:23 PM
Id like to thank CH 9 for a slightly improved coverage. However Ben Ikin as a commentator for an international game is an absoloute joke is it too much to get either Sterlo or Fatty down there.
On the bright side thankgod they didnt go back to Tim Sherridan at halftime.

Titanium_BD1103
21-10-06, 09:26 PM
Id like to thank CH 9 for a slightly improved coverage. However Ben Ikin as a commentator for an international game is an absoloute joke is it too much to get either Sterlo or Fatty down there.
On the bright side thankgod they didnt go back to Tim Sherridan at halftime.

Apparently according to Rabs this morning on the Dead Set Legends on Triple M... Sterlo, Chief and Fatty are on Holidays.

Grimmace
21-10-06, 09:27 PM
Apparently according to Rabs this morning on the Dead Set Legends on Triple M... Sterlo, Chief and Fatty are on Holidays.
Good to know Ch 9 take international games seriously.

Robbie_Dee
21-10-06, 09:28 PM
On the bright side thankgod they didnt go back to Tim Sherridan at halftime.yeah it was a much better coverage than last week. But like you, i still cant see why they wouldnt put the fat and sterlo on, IMO they're the best commentators there are. Ben Ikin is ok, but is way too biased! :lol!: I've sead it before, and ill say it again, Benji Marshall as commentator is not on!

Titanium_BD1103
21-10-06, 09:31 PM
Good to know Ch 9 take international games seriously.

Something tells me in this case that the boys may have decided not to commentate. I mean yes its a big game but Chief especially has family and I am sure Fatty and Sterlo are taking a well earned break... I am guessing Nine went with whoever was available....

No way am I trying to defend Channel 9, but from the way Rabs said it this morning it's sounds like a personal rather than a business decision on the commentators half.

Poida
21-10-06, 09:36 PM
man get the fatman back into commentery.
i like his commentating LOL

Grimmace
21-10-06, 09:36 PM
Something tells me in this case that the boys may have decided not to commentate. I mean yes its a big game but Chief especially has family and I am sure Fatty and Sterlo are taking a well earned break... I am guessing Nine went with whoever was available....

No way am I trying to defend Channel 9, but from the way Rabs said it this morning it's sounds like a personal rather than a business decision on the commentators half.
Yes the family is a big thing for Cheif but if they have decided not to commentate thats fine.
Id rather see Ikin as a sideline commentator that way he doesnt have to try and crack those wise jokes every 5 minutes.
Personally i cant wait to see what Nine dish up next week. As it will show if they take it seriously or thewyre going to treat it like here it is deal with it.

Titanium_BD1103
21-10-06, 09:41 PM
Yes the family is a big thing for Cheif but if they have decided not to commentate thats fine.
Id rather see Ikin as a sideline commentator that way he doesnt have to try and crack those wise jokes every 5 minutes.
Personally i cant wait to see what Nine dish up next week. As it will show if they take it seriously or thewyre going to treat it like here it is deal with it.

Grimmace, it's GB vs NZ in NZ, Channel 9 are treating this with total distain, because it is not going to get anywhere near the top of the ratings if it was shown on primetime.

Channel 9 are showing it 2 and a half hours on delay at 9:30pm, and as myself and Queenslander agreed, Vossy, Ikin and Johns will be in the studio, but there is a mighty fair chance they will basically use the Sky One commentary from NZ like they did when England played NZ in England last year.

TBH this is one game I'd actually like to see given to Foxtel, I mean the real footy fans are the ones who would watch it and then it could be live for them and with local commentary.... ;)

Grimmace
21-10-06, 09:46 PM
Grimmace, it's GB vs NZ in NZ, Channel 9 are treating this with total distain, because it is not going to get anywhere near the top of the ratings if it was shown on primetime.

Channel 9 are showing it 2 and a half hours on delay at 9:30pm, and as myself and Queenslander agreed, Vossy, Ikin and Johns will be in the studio, but there is a mighty fair chance they will basically use the Sky One commentary from NZ like they did when England played NZ in England last year.

TBH this is one game I'd actually like to see given to Foxtel, I mean the real footy fans are the ones who would watch it and then it could be live for them and with local commentary.... ;)
I didnt see what time they are showing the game but if thats the case i think ill watch it on fox.
England Vs N.Z will be a good game but its not going to be shown with respect it deserves.
Honestly i hate CH 9 with a passion of how they show league.
Horrah for Foxtel doing some commentary for friday night next year.

Titanium_BD1103
21-10-06, 09:50 PM
I didnt see what time they are showing the game but if thats the case i think ill watch it on fox.
England Vs N.Z will be a good game but its not going to be shown with respect it deserves.
Honestly i hate CH 9 with a passion of how they show league.
Horrah for Foxtel doing some commentary for friday night next year.

Well in this case Grimmace, Channel 9 do have some ground to stand on.

They are about winning ratings and are not an exclusivve sports station... so this game really won't get primetime, as it doesn't rate as well as other stuff can, I mean when Australia play, you expect it live, but if Australia doesn't play then there is less need to show it live.

That is why I said in these cases such as those games not involving Australia, give the game to FOX, then those who do want to watch it, and watch it at a fair and decent time.

Grimmace
21-10-06, 09:54 PM
Well in this case Grimmace, Channel 9 do have some ground to stand on.

They are about winning ratings and are not an exclusivve sports station... so this game really won't get primetime, as it doesn't rate as well as other stuff can, I mean when Australia play, you expect it live, but if Australia doesn't play then there is less need to show it live.

That is why I said in these cases such as those games not involving Australia, give the game to FOX, then those who do want to watch it, and watch it at a fair and decent time.
9:30 is still a ratings time so they have done well. I just fear how badly the game is going to be done thats all.
I wish they would let fox show them live though but 9:30 is good enough.

Grimmace
21-10-06, 10:01 PM
Kangaroos in miracle comeback

October 21, 2006

AUSTRALIA scored two tries in the final five minutes to snatch a thrilling 20-15 Tri-Nations victory over New Zealand at Telstra Dome.

The Kiwis looked headed for their first win of the campaign when Stacey Jones piloted over a field goal with eight minutes on the clock to put his side up by seven points.

But they didn't count on two pieces of brilliance from the Australia backline, Greg Inglis and Mark Gasnier scoring long-range tries to leave the Kiwis' Tri-Nations defence in tatters and the Kangaroos almost assured of a finals berth.

Inglis, who had already delighted his hometown fans with a spectacular individual try just before half-time, had the 30,732-strong crowd on its feet in the 75th minute when he ran fended off fullback Brent Webb on a 60-metre run to the line. Johnathan Thurston's conversion narrowed the gap to just one point.

Now full of running, Australia completed a stunning comeback when Gasnier finished off a spectacular long-range movement, a host of Kiwi defenders left sprawling in his wake.

The Australians took an unlikely 6-4 lead into the half-time break but two second half tries to centre Iosia Soliola put the Kiwis back in front after Shontayne Hape had scored early in the match.

Knowing a win was crucial to their hopes of defending the title they won last year, the Kiwis started the match at a furious pace, the Australians clearly missing the presence of big prop Willie Mason in the early exchanges.

Mason's nemesis, David Kidwell, almost gave the Kiwis the perfect start when he was held up over the line in the sixth minute.

It only delayed the inevitable as Hape scored a few tackles later, the powerful winger doing well to get the ball down despite the attention of three defenders.

The Kangaroos started working their way back into the contest but were frustrated by an inability to finish off manoeuvres, winger Matt King twice denied tries by the video referee.

New Zealand missed a chance to extend its lead when Soliola dropped the ball over the line, but made up for it after the break with two tries.

AAP

PROMETHEUS
21-10-06, 11:21 PM
How much friggin' help did the kiwis have from ALL the officials? :curse:
Made the win even sweeter playing against 22 men :p

davo
22-10-06, 06:05 AM
you saw the game didnt you !!! even you so called biased commentators said the calls where all good, did you not see any replays ???????? what game where you watching ??? you win and still complain pathetic !!!!!!!.

jenny
22-10-06, 07:07 AM
you saw the game didnt you !!! even you so called biased commentators said the calls where all good, did you not see any replays ???????? what game where you watching ??? you win and still complain pathetic !!!!!!!.
:win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: :win: AUSSIE.....AUSSIE...AUSSIE....OYE.....OYE....OYE.. .. :yell: NEXT!!

Grimmace
22-10-06, 08:31 AM
We were lucky to win
By Australia coach Ricky Stuart
October 22, 2006 IT was a game we didn't deserve to win.

We played well, but the New Zealanders played better, and that sums up the game in a nutshell.

As a coach, you are always looking for improvement from one game to the next - especially at this level.

We set a standard last week but the benchmark just wasn't raised, and that is disappointing because I was really looking forward to raising the bar.

But, to New Zealand's credit, they didn't allow us and made raising the bar difficult for us to do. We got home on the back of only one thing: character.

Being seven points down with full-time fast approaching, a lot of teams would have thrown in the towel.

But this team came back and scored twice and that highlights the character that exists in this Kangaroos team. That is one aspect of the game that I will take away with me and be satisfied with.

In the coming weeks, the Tri-Nations is only going to get tougher and that means that we are going to have to produce that character in large doses over and over.

This team is more than capable of that and last night proved we can win a game on sheer willpower.

To me, that was the highlight of the night.

The other highlight was knowing that we are going to improve.

There will be changes for our next game, but it won't be a case of sacking anyone.

It will be a case of giving guys an opportunity and having a good look at them.

One bloke who got a new opportunity last night was Greg Inglis. Greg - or GI as he is known - had a mixed game. He found it hard to get into the game in the first half so we moved him to fullback in an effort to give him some space.

He certainly showed what skill and ability he had in scoring those tries and floating around the field really suited him.

Source:sunday Telegraph

Go_The_Doggies
22-10-06, 09:09 AM
1 word= Heartbroken. :(

Argg we played so friggin god damn well to only lose it in the last 4 minutes!!

Nigel Vagana needs to be dropped imo.

Still majorly proud of them :D..and am looking forward to seeing us cream GB.

Poor Shontayne was lost for words..in the end he just walked away from McIvor in the interview..poor guy.

zacaroo
22-10-06, 09:20 AM
i watched the game it was ok, needed more fire in it! australia was lucky to win it..

Poida
22-10-06, 10:32 AM
i watched the game it was ok, needed more fire in it! australia was lucky to win it..
this is why i watch origin more than international games. origin has more tensity to it

~Wild Child~
22-10-06, 10:39 AM
1 word= Heartbroken. :(

Argg we played so friggin god damn well to only lose it in the last 4 minutes!!

Nigel Vagana needs to be dropped imo.

Still majorly proud of them :D..and am looking forward to seeing us cream GB.

Poor Shontayne was lost for words..in the end he just walked away from McIvor in the interview..poor guy.:) You should be majorly proud of the New Zealand team and the way they played last night...huge effort by them...and they were unlucky not to win...
You have the support of just about everyone here..when you say you look forward to seeing England get creamed next week...bring it on :D

Poida
22-10-06, 10:42 AM
hey how come paul rauhihi isnt playing for new zealand. didnt he wanna play?

Go_The_Doggies
22-10-06, 10:45 AM
hey how come paul rauhihi isnt playing for new zealand. didnt he wanna play?
He has been injured this year..and I don't know how he is going form wise?

I miss him lol :( .. he was so awesome last year. <3

Oooh and the Haka was one of the best ones I have seen from the League boys in awhile, they've started doing the hissing thing like the All Blacks too..I heart that :D

Poida
22-10-06, 10:48 AM
yeh i liked that haka.
yeh i wanna see paul back for them soon.
havent seen him since the 2005 grand final

Go_The_Doggies
22-10-06, 10:53 AM
Sadly imo..and in alot of other peoples opinion, this will be Stace's last year for the Kiwis..for real this time lol..ffs blame daniel anderson for him retiring early in the first place!! :mad:

Was reading in the paper over here, something about Jeremy Smith from the Eels being the next Stacey Jones!!

Go_The_Doggies
22-10-06, 10:59 AM
22 October 2006
By NEIL REID

The Kiwis prepared for last night's heart-stopping Tri-series clash watching a "motivational" movie featuring exerts from Black Hawk Down.

The film clip's theme was "Brothers in Arms".

And it was everything but the tonic the Kiwis needed, with the Kiwis looking set for victory before dramatic strikes by Kangaroos stars Greg Inglis and Mark Gasnier at Melbourne's Telstra Stadium.

Kiwis winger Shontayne Hape said: "I'm feeling very bad. It's very disappointing - we had it but let it slip away."

It is the fourth loss on the trot for the Brian McClennan-coached team.

There were plenty of encouraging signs in the nail-bitter, played out in front of 31,000 Melburnians.

But the reality is that their Tri-series defence is now looking shaky as hell.

The Kiwis were given a dream start when ref Ashley Klein gave McClennan's side two questionable penalties. It allowed the Kiwis to set up deep into the Kangaroos half.

The Kiwis launched the scoring with an eighth minute try to Hape. Jones pushed the conversion away.

It was a promising start from the Kiwis - Jones was sharper than last weekend and their speed off the line on defence helped shut down the Australian dangermen.

Australian winger Matt King was also rightly denied two tries by the TV ref. McClennan introduced Aussie Nathan Fien into the Kiwis' line-up in the 22nd minute.

But it seemed just a matter of time before the Kangaroos struck, and that was in the 36th minute when Inglis scampered through some weak defence. Johnathan Thurston converted to make it 6-4 at halftime.

The Kangaroos attempted to life the tempo right from the get-go in the second half. And it was evident the brutal nature of the first half had taken a fair bit out of the rival packs.

Adam Blair, Nathan Cayless and David Fa'alogo were jointly penalised for a dangerous tackle of Petero Civoniceva in the 46th minute, resulting in pushing the Kiwis back towards their tryline. But goal-line defence saved the day.

Three minutes later and the Kiwis came to life after Jones cut loose and finally the ball was dotted down by Soliola to score. Jones couldn't convert.

Thurston levelled the score with a 57th minute penalty.

Eight minutes later and Soliola made his second strike.

The Kangaroos thought they hit back 12 minutes from time, but Sam Thaiday was ruled to have run obstruction before Karmichael Hunt dotted down.

The Kiwis extended their lead to seven points when Jones landed a field goal.

Then Inglis cut loose for his second try for Thurston to convert, followed up quickly by Gasnier's killer.

Kangaroos (G Inglis 2, M Gasnier tries; J Thurston 4 gls), Kiwis (I Soliola 2, S Hape tries; S Jones gl, fg). HT: 6-4.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man I really felt for the boys, they tried their hearts out, only to slack off, and for Nigel to give away the gayest penalty of all time.

Aw and when Shontayne was speaking to McIvor..man he was so cut..he was really lost for words and just ended up walking away and joining the boys in the circle they had formed.

Poida
22-10-06, 11:01 AM
lol i was wondering why stacey was still playing?

Go_The_Doggies
22-10-06, 11:01 AM
lol i was wondering why stacey was still playing?
He wants to win the trophy back =)

Poida
22-10-06, 11:02 AM
Lol fair enough then

DIEHARD
22-10-06, 12:56 PM
Amazing test match, Kiwis were the better team for most of the match but as usual the Kangaroos make a last minute come back to break our opponents hearts.

I LOVE IT!!

The Kangaroos are like the domination, strength and resources of NSW mixed with the passion, pride and freakish ability to perform miracles of QLD.

[BroncosGirl]
22-10-06, 01:34 PM
Such a freaking great game!
I love aussie spirit!

Robbie_Dee
22-10-06, 01:38 PM
Full credit to Inglis and Gasnier's tries! Both of them were brilliant! I didn't like Gasnier that much, but after last night, my opinion of him has changed.

Poida
22-10-06, 01:41 PM
i still like inglis but dont like gasnier despite that try.

Meh
22-10-06, 03:14 PM
Well we just might meet australia again in the finals, and thats the most important one right? Looking forward to a win next week though...hopefully.
i think stacey jones played well this game, kicking game was just about spot on. The thing is, there doesnt need to be a fight to make a game a great one.
I look forward to the final..and possibly a new 5/8, vagana needs to do a little more than show up for the first 10 minutes of the game if he wants to keep his spot in a key role.

DIEHARD
22-10-06, 04:08 PM
Inglis' try was amazing, I havent seen some one seem to run that face since Renouf. He was lightning.

Go_The_Doggies
22-10-06, 05:15 PM
Well we just might meet australia again in the finals, and thats the most important one right? Looking forward to a win next week though...hopefully.
i think stacey jones played well this game, kicking game was just about spot on. The thing is, there doesnt need to be a fight to make a game a great one.
I look forward to the final..and possibly a new 5/8, vagana needs to do a little more than show up for the first 10 minutes of the game if he wants to keep his spot in a key role.
Yeah Stace really improved on his kicking game, but he wasnt really gunna come out and have a bolter in his first game back with the Kiwis in 12 months was he?..I think our expectations were very high of him last week. :?)

And IMO Nigel needs to either buck up his ideas..or go!!!

And now I know why Shontayne was so gutted last night..he blames himself for the loss :(..because he wasnt able to tackle Inglis..which led to his try. Poor guy, wasnt just his fault we lost, actually none of it was his fault, he had a blinder of a game. We just got too far ahead of ourselfs, didn't have proper ball control, looked to play to ball too quick, and gave away stupid penalties.

But I agree with Bluey when he says we are only going to get better. :)

DIEHARD
22-10-06, 05:22 PM
Nigel really isnt the answer at 5/8th, Kiwis need to fix that position.

Capital_Shark
22-10-06, 07:42 PM
Excellent game last night, Kiwis certainly surprised me. Perhaps if they had another decent option apart from Stacy Jones they could have posted enough points for the win. Stacy's goal kicking was unlucky for them too. A great Aussie come back though, I was a little worried for a minute or two.

The Kangaroos are like the domination, strength and resources of NSW mixed with the passion, pride and freakish ability to perform miracles of QLD.

Brilliantly summed up there, DIEHARD.

Boofhead
22-10-06, 08:19 PM
haha... don't believe kiwi's lost it - thought they had it in the bag... inglis is just such a freak... lol.

go brian and the brits! :guit: :guit:

Go_The_Doggies
23-10-06, 09:47 AM
Nigel really isnt the answer at 5/8th, Kiwis need to fix that position.
Motu Tony!!!