PDA

View Full Version : Ten poised to show Rugby World Cup

Grimmace
12-10-06, 04:54 PM
Ten poised to show World Cup
Thursday, October 12, 2006

Network Ten are in the final stages of negotiating to broadcast next year's rugby union World Cup.

Much speculation has surrounded the reported $10 million deal and Ten are tipped to make an announcement shortly.

"There has been a lot of speculation over the past few months about the Rugby World Cup being broadcast on Ten," a spokesman for the network said.

"Ten is continuing to negotiate with Rugby World Cup. We hope to be able to make announcement in the near future."

The World Cup will be held in France from September 2007.

The last World Cup tournament was played four years ago in Australia with the event broadcast on the Seven Network.

With little sport on their future television slate, gaining the rights would be a major coup for Ten, which had lost the rights to screen the V8 Supercars to Seven.

It could also pave the way for the provincial Super 14 competition to return to free-to-air television.

Screening the Super 14 - possibly up to 18 hours after full-time - was believed to have been an important part of Ten's World Cup bid.

It is believed the network would televise only those games involving the Australian Super 14 teams - the NSW Waratahs, ACT Brumbies, Queensland Reds and Western Force.

However, after more than a decade absence, rugby is set to tackle Ten viewers next month with the broadcast of the Wallabies Spring Tour.

Rugby last screened on Ten in 1995 with the World Cup played in South Africa.

Ten will screen live broadcasts of all four international Tests played against Wales, Italy, Ireland and Scotland, with same day replays of each Test.

Bill Woods will host the broadcast with new recruit, Wallaby Ben Tune, as well as local commentary over the series.

"Ten is very enthusiastic about bringing rugby back to the network," Ten's general manager of sport David White said.

"We are pleased that Ben has agreed to join Ten for the spring tour."

Tune, a veteran of 47 Test caps, made his debut for the Wallabies against Wales in 1996.

He said he was thrilled to be joining the Network and hoped it would bring more good fortune to Ten.

"The tour will be an important precursor to the Wallabies World Cup campaign," said Tune.

The Australian Rugby Union (ARU) welcome Ten hosting the Spring Tour.

"We welcome Network Ten back into the Rugby fold and look forward to working with them to maximise the exposure of the Wallabies across Australia," ARU chief executive officer and managing director Gary Flowers said.

"Free-to-air coverage is crucial for our game, so it is great to know Network Ten will be going live into nearly every market."

AAP

Steve Dangerous
12-10-06, 05:00 PM
haha oh man, seven has been completely done over in the sport stakes these past few years.

Hopefully this means no more 'Buddah' Handy commentating. Oh please.

Titanium_BD1103
12-10-06, 05:12 PM
haha oh man, seven has been completely done over in the sport stakes these past few years.

Hopefully this means no more 'Buddah' Handy commentating. Oh please.

Yes steve, Chris Handy won't be commentating, nor Gordon Bray.... its Ben Tune, Bill Woods, Steve Quartermain and Tim Webster apparently.... ;)

LOL at Quarters, I wonder how much he knows about Rugby... :p

Seriously though, its great news, Seven has stuffed this european series up for the past few years, games on delay, games not shown, games shown a day after the game is played.... at least now it's live and I like Channel 10 sport... :)

Good news all round IMO... :D :D

Darren Lockyer
12-10-06, 05:24 PM
good news for 10

zacaroo
13-10-06, 10:07 PM
yes really good news cant wait for more developments in this story..

Robbie_Dee
14-10-06, 08:23 AM
Personally i couldnt care less what network gets the rights, as long as i get to see australia play live! ;)

Titanium_BD1103
14-10-06, 10:52 AM
LOL Robbie, I actually want Channel 10 to get the rights over 7, because 10's deal contains broadcasts of Super 14 matches at primetime.... which is what I have wanted for ages and what I believe will get people back to watching Union... I know it will for me... :)

I can't wait to see Super 14 back on FTA, I've missed not being able to watch the Waratahs.

~Wild Child~
14-10-06, 11:12 AM
Personally i couldnt care less what network gets the rights, as long as i get to see australia play live! ;)Agree with Robbie_Dee. I hope this goes ahead for Channel 10 :clap:

Poida
14-10-06, 11:18 AM
i just hope this doesnt take any good shows of tv because of it otherwise im fine with it

Robbie_Dee
14-10-06, 11:24 AM
IMO sport is better than any other show on tv anyway...except for maybe lost, 24 and prison break:p

Poida
14-10-06, 11:25 AM
nah id rather comedy over sport.
i suppose it will only go for a few weeks.

Boofhead
14-10-06, 12:12 PM
Has 10 ever televised Rugby Union?

Wonder who the commentators will be... I prefer 10 sport to 7 - I'm happy anyway.

It could also pave the way for the provincial Super 14 competition to return to free-to-air television.
Sweet! :naughty:

Capital_Shark
14-10-06, 03:45 PM
IMO sport is better than any other show on tv anyway...except for maybe lost, 24 and prison break:p

Easy there cowboy, lets not go confusing Rugby Union with sport.

Robbie_Dee
14-10-06, 04:15 PM
Easy there cowboy, lets not go confusing Rugby Union with sport.haha, nah, i don't mind union. At least in Union they can't knock it on...It's AFL that i dislike. I'd take any show over watching a game of AFL.

Titan_Matchu
14-10-06, 08:37 PM
haha, nah, i don't mind union. At least in Union they can't knock it on...It's AFL that i dislike. I'd take any show over watching a game of AFL.

Thats only because you have been brought up that way with people always telling you how bad AFL is and how good Rugby is. I garuntee you if you were to have been brought up in Victoria like me for about 10 years you would like AFL.

Robbie_Dee
14-10-06, 09:06 PM
Thats only because you have been brought up that way with people always telling you how bad AFL is and how good Rugby is. I garuntee you if you were to have been brought up in Victoria like me for about 10 years you would like AFL.bloody oath, i dont disagree with you there for 1 second...but fortunately, i was brought up in QLD!!!!