PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Nations 06: Game One; Kiwis vs Kangaroos

Queenslander
06-10-06, 07:47 PM
Tri-Nations 2006: Game One

http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/kiwis.gif NEW ZEALAND KIWIS vs http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/kangaroos.gif AUSTRALIA KANGAROOS
Mt. Smart Stadium; Saturday 14th October, 8pm

Referee: Ashley Klein

Team Notes:

Kiwis

Are the defending champions of the Tri-Nations tournament.

New Zealand selectors have opted for a young side and four debutants for Saturday night?s first Gillette Tri Nation?s match against Australia at Mount Smart Stadium.

With an average age of just under 25 the Roosters Iosia Soliola, Manly?s Steve Matai, the Warriors Simon Mannering and the Storm?s Adam Blair will all make their test debuts against the Kangaroos.

Only Stacey Jones, skipper Ruben Wiki and Nigel Vagana are 30 or over.

Kangaroos

Last defeated the Kiwis 50-12 in the Anzac Test in May. However only 10 players from that Australia squad which beat the New Zealanders so easily remain in the current squad.

Australian coach Ricky Stuart has included five debutants in the team to play New Zealand in game one of the Gillette Tri Nations series this Saturday night at Mount Smart Stadium.

Justin Hodges, Greg Inglis, Cameron Smith, Reni Maitua and Brent Kite will all wear the Green and Gold for the first time while Cowboys and Queensland halfback has denied Ben Hornby the chance to make his test debut in the number 7.

************************************************** *******************************************

http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/kiwis.gifKIWIS

1. Brent Webb
2. Tame Tupou
3. Iosia Soliola
4. Steve Matai
5. Manu Vatuvei
6. Nigel Vagana
7. Stacey Jones
8. Ruben Wiki (c)
9. Dene Halatau
10. Roy Asotasi
11. David Kidwell
12. Tony Puletua
13. Simon Mannering
Interchange:

14. Jerome Ropati
15. Nathan Cayless
16. Adam Blair
17. Frank Pritchard

http://www.nrl.com/edm/l/kangaroos.gif KANGAROOS

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Matt King
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Justin Hodges
5. Greg Inglis
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Willie Mason
9. Cameron Smith
10.Petero Civoniceva
11.Luke O?Donnell
12.Nathan Hindmarsh
13.Reni Maitua
Interchange:

14.Mark O?Meley
15.Shaun Berrigan
16.Andrew Ryan
17.Brent Kite

***Please use this thread for Tri Nations Game One information and game day spoilers***

Queenslander
06-10-06, 07:48 PM
Tri Nations a Whole New Ball Game
Friday, October 6, 2006 - 2:51 PM

New Zealand might hold the Gillette Tri Nations trophy but Kiwi skipper Ruben Wiki says they won?t go into the tournament thinking they?re defending champions.

The Kiwis have assembled in Auckland, apart from the players still involved in Super League in England, ahead of Game one of the series against Australia at Mount Smart Stadium on Saturday October 14.

Wiki bristles at comments that it will be different defending the title and says the team isn?t reflecting on the stunning win last year it?s only looking forward.

?They keep talking about last year but it?s a new year now, a new series, everyone starts on an even par. There?s no point bringing up last year it?s done and dusted.

We?re not defending anything it changes every year.

What we did last year was special but it?s a new year, the trophy?s up for grabs and it?s on again with everyone starting on level pegging.?

The Kiwis have gone into camp earlier than the Australians and Wiki says the spirits are high.

?It?s always high in the New Zealand camp we?ve only just come together but the boys have gelled quite quickly it?s like a family reunion again.

We?re really buzzing at the chance we get to play on our home soil this year.?

New Zealand played an exciting brand of football under new Coach Brian McClennan last year and will have to cope with a new Australian coach this time around in Ricky Stuart.

Wiki laughs when asked about Stuart?s determination to win everything.

?Oh for sure you know. I played with Ricky he?s very competitive and his will to win and his desire to succeed were shown at the Roosters and in Origin. Everything?s a hundred miles an hour with that guy and he just loves winning so no doubt his troops will be up for it.?

While Stuart is steeling his troops for the challenge ahead it was the Kangaroos Willie Mason who fired the first shot in the war of words daring New Zealand and Great Britain forwards to target the new faces in the Australian line up.

Mason suggested they would do that at their own peril and would end up ?on their backs and getting bashed.?

Wiki isn?t surprised by the comments.

?That?s Willie for you mate. Everyone?s got their opinion but we don?t really buy into that sort of stuff we just go about our business. He can say whatever he wants.?

New Zealand have some form rookies of their own in Adam Blair, Steve Matai, Iosia Soliola and Tame Tupou and Wiki says the Kiwis who played in the NRL finals bring a great deal to the camp.

?All these guys you know have just been involved in the finals Adam Blair, David Kidwell and Tame Tupou they?re Grand Finalists so no doubt they?ll bring some of that buzz and feeling into the camp.?

The Kiwis also have inspirational halfback Stacey Jones following his season with Le Catalans and Wiki believes he will be a key figure.

?Yes the French Kiwi is back and it?s good to have him back, he?s raring to go, he?s excited, he?s around all the boys and loving it.?

The players will receive a further boost from the fans with an open training session at Mount Smart Stadium on Saturday and Wiki says it?s one of the best parts of the build up.

?For sure this is what it?s all about. The kids are all on holiday here so hopefully we get a lot of them down to training and we?ll sign a few autographs and pose for photos for as many kids as we get there.?

As well as the fans turning out for the open training day the New Zealand skipper is calling on them to turn out for the home matches and give the Kiwis a boost and the visitors an intimidating atmosphere.

?Hopefully the home advantage can work in our favour but its only 80 minutes so anything can happen so we just have to work on what we can do on the field and hopefully all our supporters can get behind us and get to the game.?

Wiki has impressed all around him with his enthusiasm during the early stages of the camp but the 33-year-old says fun is the key.

?I?m just going to approach this the way I play the game whether it?s an International or backyard stuff. It?s the way I grew up just having fun, it?s something I just love doing. The traditional Kava bowl came out last night so it was good.?

With the opening game just over a week away Wiki is looking forward to locking horns with the Aussies, but is prepared for a challenge from the third team in the Tri Nations too.

?The Poms they?re bringing out a strong team it?s going to be a full on tournament.?

New Zealand has the unique situation of players in both the England and Australian competitions and Wiki says that makes it hard for a new face to catch a team off guard.

?It?s going to be pretty hard to win anyway. Everyone knows the strengths and weaknesses of each player but it?s just going to be very exciting, it?s a new year, a new adventure and it all starts against Australia. It?ll be awesome.?

Source: NRL

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kangaroos pups will go alright: Mason
Thursday, October 5, 2006 - 7:36 PM

Now a senior member of the Australian side, prop Willie Mason says the pups in the Kangaroos pack can expect a tough initiation against the might of New Zealand and Great Britain.

But Mason had an ominous warning for the Kangaroos' Tri-Nations opponents - expect to cop as good as you give.

"If any of the Pommies or the Kiwis want to run at them, good luck to them - they're going to get bashed," was Mason's piece of advice at Thursday's team medical in Sydney.

"Run at Sam Thaiday and he's going to put you on your back.

"They're great players, they're future Australian representatives. I'm glad the selectors have gone for a younger generation because that's the future of the league."

With an eye to the future and in particular the 2008 World Cup, Test selectors went for youth in naming their squad with Petero Civoniceva the only player older than 29.

There are only 10 survivors from the side which trounced New Zealand 50-12 in the Anzac Test earlier this year with representative retirements, injuries and personal commitments leaving selectors with little choice but to look to the future.

Uncapped forwards Sam Thaiday, Anthony Tupou and Reni Maitua were all named in the 23-man squad with at least one of them likely to make his Test debut in the series opener against New Zealand on Saturday week.

"It takes a lot of experience away from a football team and it takes a lot of experience out of this group," Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart said on Thursday.

"But what I'm adding into the mix there is a lot of enthusiasm and excitement with the young debutants."

Mason said he was looking forward to taking on a more senior role within the group.

"It is a bit different, seeing young blokes like Toup's (Anthony Tupou) and Reni Maitua get called up, they're all younger blokes that haven't played that much rep football and blokes like myself and Petero, (Nathan) Hindmarsh all seem to be boosted up into that place.

"I'm going to cherish it and take it with both hands ... it's great opportunity for myself and all the other guys."

Despite New Zealand walking away with the Tri-Nations in a stunning boilover last year, the Kangaroos still go into this year's tournament as resounding favourites.

Mason said losing last year had done little to ease the expectation on the side.

"There's always pressure on Australian sides, you're expected to win," Mason said.

"Last year we lost and I was part of that side and I was filthy that we got beat and so was everyone who played in that side.

"It's not like it's revenge but we definitely want to win the Tri-Nations."

Source: AAP

Poida
06-10-06, 11:56 PM
aussies by 4

weird about haynes selection

Go_The_Doggies
07-10-06, 08:41 AM
Aww i'm so excited about the Tri Nations. And in the words of Louie Anderson..and some random voice over guy: "This year its not defending our Tri Nations trophy......Its about winning it back" :D

~lee~
07-10-06, 09:00 AM
Aussies by 8, Hayne to shyne

Poida
07-10-06, 11:18 AM
imo while hayne has been good at scoring tries its gonna be interesting to see if he can perform like that at international level. i mean someone like inglis could probably handle it better having more first grade games under his belt.

Darren Lockyer
07-10-06, 11:35 AM
hodges to shine

Poida
07-10-06, 11:37 AM
he could but at fullback would be interesting to see.
i hope they dont put him as queensland fullback.
would be unfair to put a centre there when theres total fullback potential out there

Go_The_Doggies
07-10-06, 12:37 PM
Manu Vatuvei to shine!!! :p:D

Grimmace
07-10-06, 12:39 PM
Attention Aussies kick the ball along the ground to Manu Vatuvei.
There should be some interesting selections for this game itll be a corker too but aussies by 8

Darren Lockyer
07-10-06, 04:47 PM
i hope hodges plays at fullback for the roos

DeeGan
07-10-06, 05:56 PM
I will say it again, Queenslander, you do a great job in starting a thread about ANY upcoming game mate - great stuff ;)

More on the game from me when we finalise a team which will be very interesting to see.

Meh
07-10-06, 10:06 PM
Hayne better just hope he doesnt get lined up with vatuvei on the wing :laugh:

Queenslander
07-10-06, 11:34 PM
Smith throws No.9 gauntlet to Buderus
Saturday, October 7, 2006 - 5:39 PM

Kangaroos hooker Cameron Smith has thrown down the challenge to Test incumbent Danny Buderus, saying he won't give up the Australian No.9 jumper without a fight.

Having overcome a corked leg and a rib cartilage injury picked up in last week's NRL grand final loss to Brisbane, Smith is almost assured of being named to make his Test debut in Saturday's tournament opener against New Zealand in Auckland.

Selection in the green and gold would cap a sensational year in which the Storm rake has already picked up the Dally M medal and played a leading role in Queensland's victorious State of Origin campaign.

Smith and Buderus waged a tremendous battle throughout the interstate series, national selectors spared the tough task of splitting the two when Buderus made himself unavailable for the Tri-Nations tournament due to the impending birth of he and his partner's first child.

But despite the fact he is yet to actually get his hands on the Australian No.9 jumper, Smith said he was doing more than just keeping the seat warm for Buderus.

"It's not the last time I want to play for Australia and it's a massive opportunity to try and play well and hopefully the next time a series or an Australian game comes around I'm in the back of minds of selectors," Smith said.

"I know Danny's not going to give his spot up easily but I'm going to fight hard to get back in the team as well.

"I thought I'd be waiting until Danny had to retire, I'm pretty fortunate that he's having this series off and I'm going to make the best of my opportunity."

Having finally overcome the Buderus obstacle, Smith is now facing a new challenger in the form of Brisbane utility Shaun Berrigan.

The former Test centre was one of the Broncos best throughout finals series, culminating in a man of the match performance in Brisbane's 15-8 win over the Storm in the decider.

But far from seeing Berrigan as a threat, Smith is hoping the two can work together.

"He's been playing great in the back half of the season as he showed the other night, he played really well and got the Clive Churchill (Medal)," Smith said.

"Hopefully both of us get in the 17, that really worked for us in the Origin series I thought."

Assuming he is picked at hooker for the Mt Smart Stadium clash, Smith is set to play a different role to the one he performs at club level where he drifts out to first and second receiver during the back half of matches.

The 23-year-old is more likely to be constrained to the dummy-half role with skipper Darren Lockyer and either Johnathan Thurston or Ben Hornby the primary ball handler.

Only five of the seven Broncos representatives made it to Sydney on Saturday for the first day of the Kangaroos camp, Brent Tate and Petero Civoniceva staying behind in Brisbane to attend a wedding. The premiership-winning duo will link up with the squad on Sunday.

Three players failed to take part in the squad's first training session on Saturday with Justin Hodges, Jarryd Hayne (both hamstring) and Smith training away from the main group. All three should be available for selection for the tournament opener.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hodges, Hayne given 24 hours
By David Riccio
October 08, 2006

INJURED Australia aspirants Justin Hodges and Jarryd Hayne have just 24 hours to prove their fitness after failing to train with their Tri-Nations teammates yesterday.

The potent pair are battling hamstring injuries and both are in danger of missing the series opener against New Zealand on Saturday.

Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart is believed likely to make a call on the availability of Hodges and Hayne tomorrow evening.

Both were unable to run at the squad's training session at Wentworth Park in central Sydney yesterday.

Hodges and Hayne were restricted to limited boxing drills as their teammates ran freely for just over an hour.

Star hooker Cameron Smith also failed to take part in the squad's training run, but his knee complaint isn't considered serious.

The fitness of Hodges is believed to be of greater concern than that of Hayne.

"It's touch and go," Stuart said of Hodges.

"It's always a bit nervous when you've got a problem such as a hamstring because you just don't know the extent of it.

"But (team doctor) Hugh Hazzard is very confident that if he does miss this first game he'll be available for game two."

Hodges passed his medical on arrival in camp yesterday, but he trudged from Wentworth Park four hours later, his right thigh strapped with ice.

Hazzard said he would do everything possible to further the players' recovery.

"We'll be doing a lot of physiotherapy with them and just assess them day by day," Hazzard said.

"I'm still confident they'll respond."

Hayne, 19, didn't concede his dream season and possible Test debut would be cruelled by injury.

"It's good," Hayne said of his injury.

"The last two days it's reacted to the treatment. I've had plenty of massage work."

Hayne said the rigours of his debut NRL season, followed by the Prime Minister's XIII game against Papua New Guinea last weekend, had left his body vulnerable.

"I hadn't played for a couple of weeks before Papua New Guinea and I think that game knocked me about a bit," he said.

"It twinged again on Thursday but it's getting better every day. I think by Monday I should be sweet.

"I have no expectations of playing, I'm just glad to be in the team and train with them."

After failing to train on Thursday, Smith confirmed his availability.

"It was a bit sore when we had the medical (on Thursday) but today it's pretty good," Smith said.

"All the swelling has gone down, there's still a little bit of soreness there but I've just seen the doctors again and they said I'll be 100-per cent come game time."

"They can't see any problems with playing the first game."

The Sunday Telegraph

Queenslander
08-10-06, 10:18 AM
Seven lucky Broncos
Greg Davis
October 08, 2006 12:00am

AUSTRALIAN coach Ricky Stuart is confident Brisbane's seven-strong contingent in the Kangaroos squad for the Tri-Nations series will not have any post-premiership letdowns.

Brisbane mades up almost a third of the Australian squad ? with skipper Darren Lockyer, Shaun Berrigan, Petero Civoniceva, Karmichael Hunt, Sam Thaiday, Brent Tate, Justin Hodges and Tonie Carroll selected in the original squad.
Carroll was subsequently forced out with a knee injury sustained in Brisbane's emotional 15-8 grand final triumph over Melbourne

Canterbury utility Reni Maitua has taken his place.

Stuart ? who went on Kangaroo tours in 1990 and 1994 after winning premierships with Canberra ? said the Broncos would be riding a wave of euphoria into the Tri-Nations, which starts next Saturday when Australia takes on New Zealand in Auckland.

"They'll still have plenty of adrenalin pumping through them and I'm sure they can keep that rolling into their next assignment," Stuart said.

"They've achieved so much as a team this year by winning the premiership and now they have the chance to achieve another honour by playing for their country.

"Obviously they will not want to let Australia down and they'll be doing everything in their power to take their club form into the representative arena and I have no doubt they will do that."

The Kangaroos ? minus the Broncos contingent ? assembled in Sydney on Thursday for a briefing and training session and the whole squad went into camp yesterday.

Stuart said senior members of the team were keen to exact revenge on the Kiwis, who humbled the Kangaroos with a 24-0 win in last year's Tri-Nations decider.

He said Australia's convincing victory in the ANZAC Test at Suncorp Stadium in May had set the bar for the Kangaroos in the upcoming campaign.

"Everyone is very excited about being involved and there is a very good vibe around the squad," Stuart said.

"I've spoken to a few of the blokes who were there last year and they have mentioned how keen they are to reverse the result from last year.

"They have said they want to make amends because they were embarrassed.

"We set some high standards in the ANZAC Test and we have to live up to them throughout the series.

"It's a big job and we start the series on the back foot because we aren't defending champions but the players will know what is expected of them."

Stuart did not give any indication on who was leading the race for the coveted No.7 jumper, with Cowboys star Johnathan Thurston and Dragons utility Ben Hornby both vying to partner Lockyer in the halves.

Thurston has played the last two State of Origin series alongside Lockyer and outside likely Test hooker Cameron Smith but Stuart indicated there was nothing between the two halfback options.

The Sunday Mail

DeeGan
08-10-06, 10:52 AM
If we are looking at halfback, Thurston has to be given first crack given his combination with Smith and Lockyer. I think he will make the position his own as I believe he is our next long term number seven.

Queenslander
09-10-06, 07:24 AM
Go Alfie! Choose the best i.e. Thurston ;)

Alf to decide Test halfback
By Dean Ritchie
October 09, 2006

A MEETING between two of rugby league's greatest halfbacks - who played more than 500 first-grade games between them - will determine who replaces Andrew Johns as Australia's Tri-Nations halfback.

Australia coach Ricky Stuart will hold a special meeting with assistant coach Allan Langer to determine whether Ben Hornby or Johnathan Thurston take over as the Kangaroos' No.7.

Stuart cannot split Hornby and Thurston for Saturday's opening Tri-Nations Test against New Zealand in Auckland.

"I want to sit down with Alf and talk about the halfback position," Stuart said last night.

"Both players have different games and bring different strengths in different areas.

"We'll pick the right combination for the way we will play the game."

Asked was he leaning one way, Stuart said: "No."

Stuart and Langer played a combined total of 501 first-grade games, 48 State of Origins and 31 Tests as halfbacks.

Hornby - although he has only started 14 matches at halfback for St George-Illawarra this year - may have the slightest edge because of his toughness.

"I'm not quite sure how they are thinking but I'm a fairly good chance and so is JT," Hornby said.

"I can handle the job. I'll be doing my best if picked and hopefully we can win."

Asked whether he was apprehensive about possibly being the next Australia halfback, Hornby said: "Not really. It's always tough playing halfback because there's bit of extra pressure.

"But there are some great players around me and that would make it easier."

Thurston hopes his Queensland combination with hooker Cameron Smith in the State of Origin series may give him an edge.

"We combined pretty well," Thurston said.

"Hopefully they can keep that combination at Test level.

"We'll just wait and see.

"I don't want to get my hopes up too high in case Ben gets the nod.

"There's a spot up for grabs and it will be a matter of taking your opportunity. It is a vacant number at the moment. Ben and I are fighting out for it.

"There is a chance there for someone to settle in and have the position for a while."

Australia five-eighth and captain Darren Lockyer is not concerned whom he partners at the scrum-base.

"I don't have preference," Lockyer said.

"No one has spoken to me about it. That's up to the coach."

In other news, Justin Hodges and Jarryd Hayne are recovering well from injury, and both should be available for selection.

However Hodges is expected to miss selection as fullback, with Brisbane teammate Karmichael Hunt believed to have retained the No.1 jumper.

"We won't be rushing them but we'll do everything possible to get them back," Stuart said.

"The whole squad will go to New Zealand."

The Daily Telegraph

Darren Lockyer
09-10-06, 07:26 AM
good news hunt has retained the jumper

Queenslander
09-10-06, 08:20 AM
Kiwis 'still have bragging rights'
By Dean Ritchie
October 09, 2006

NEW Zealand remains the premier rugby league Test team despite its heavy loss to Australia in this year's Anzac Test, Kangaroos captain Darren Lockyer said yesterday.

Australia belted the Kiwis 50-12 in May, but Lockyer still feels New Zealand's Tri-Nations final victory in Leeds last year entitles the Stacey Jones-led New Zealand to be ranked No.1.

"New Zealand hold the trophy and we'll be doing everything we can to get it back," Lockyer said.

"The Tri-Nations is the best three teams in the world.

"Winning the Tri-Nations gives you bragging rights to be No.1. They played some good football last year. They were the best team even though we finished on top (of the table).

"We were a bit up and down all series but they stuck to their game plan and they took their chances."

Lockyer meanwhile said he had no plans to retire from rep football.

"My goal is to get to the next World Cup (in 2008)," he said.

Lockyer admitted that a Tri-Nations victory would be an ideal finish to a season that included a premiership victory and State of Origin triumph.

"It's been a great year, no doubt," Lockyer said.

"But I don't want to get to the end of the year and think I could have finished it better."

Australia coach Ricky Stuart meanwhile described the New Zealand team as "formidable".

"They'll be a huge challenge," Stuart said.

But New Zealand had another setback yesterday, with second rower David Solomona ruled out with an arm injury.

Solomona now requires immediate surgery, with New Zealand coach Brian McClennan saying "it is a real blow to lose him".

The Daily Telegraph

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tate Ready to Fight for Test Spot
Monday, October 9, 2006 - 4:30 PM

Brisbane centre Brent Tate is preparing for a tough battle ahead with the Gillette Tri Nations set to start on Saturday night at Auckland?s Mount Smart Stadium. Tate is preparing to mix it up with some of the best players in the world and ready to do what it takes, and that?s just to win a spot in the Australian side.

Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart has gone on the record saying no one has a secure spot and he?s confident that all 23 players in his squad are up to test football.

Justin Hodges, Karmichael Hunt and Greg Inglis can all play wing, fullback or centre while Mark Gasnier, Matt King, Brent Tate, Jarryd Hayne, and eventually Jamie Lyon, come into contention for centre or wing. Even utilities Ben Hornby, Reni Maitua and Shaun Berrigan have spent time in the centres this season.

Tate says it?s a strong situation to be in and there?s some stiff competition to earn a test jersey against New Zealand.

?There is but it?s no different to any other Australian side I?ve been in, there?s always competition for spots.

It?s probably a little bit fiercer, but I?m really looking forward to the challenge and if I get the chance I?ll take it with both hands and stay there.?

Justin Hodges and Jarryd Hayne are expected to pass fitness tests after suffering slight hamstring problems and Tate says he?s hoping Hodges gets the nod at fullback.

?He?s played really well there and that just opens up another spot but whatever happens I?m sure each and every one of us will get a chance at some time during the series.?

Halfback is also a spot that is yet to be decided and Ricky Stuart has stated he wants to look at the combinations in training before deciding on his team for game one.

Tate says the players have to prove on the training track how much they want a spot.

?There?s possibilities all over the park and I?m sure we?ll gel together well we?ll played together in Australian sides before.

I don?t think combinations are going to be a problem. Gasnier, Lockyer and King they?re all good players so the challenge for us is to gel that little bit quicker and make it happen.?

The Australian rugby league squad has touched down in Auckland ready to begin their Tri Nations campaign and Tate says the seven strong Brisbane contingent have put Grand Final celebrations behind them and fitness won?t be a concern.

?Yeah it?s pretty good we?ve had a bit of a run already and some fitness work and I didn?t pull up too bad which is quite surprising after the week we?ve had.?

The 11 test veteran says there?s been no flaunting of Premiership rings and the Broncos boys have resisted the Grand Final bragging since joining the camp.

?No not really it?s better to have some humility so we?ve been a bit quiet. I?d love to do it all again though, I still haven?t wiped the smile off my face that?s for sure.?

After a slow start to the season the 24-year old is looking to top his sensational season of winning the Premiership and State of Origin series with Queensland with a recall to the Test side and win back the Gillette Tri Nations

Tate says he never thought he?d be in this situation after his below par performance for Queensland in the Origin opener.

?I suppose for Origin one Wayne said I wasn?t ready, and I probably wasn?t, and I struggled in that first game.

I had a pretty interrupted start to the season, I didn?t have a preseason. Once I started playing and started finding some fitness and my ankle started feeling a lot better and then your confidence grows.

Origin this year was pretty special and to finish the year with the Grand Final as well it?s been a pretty special year.?

The opportunity to wear the Green and Gold in a home Tri Nations series also has a special appeal to the Kangaroos.

?Yeah I think it?s really good playing at home. I?ve been over to England for the past couple of years so to have it our here is pretty special. There deserves to be a lot of interest around this game because New Zealand has done really well, the Poms are getting better every year so hopefully we get some big crowds to these games and get International footy where it should be.?

While Tate will do everything in his power to make the Australian side to kick the tournament off at Mount Smart Stadium this Saturday night, he says he?s marked the Brisbane test against Great Britain on November 18 down on his calendar as a special night because the Brisbane fans love their test footy.

?Yeah they do and they haven?t had one there for a while so to get one back there would be really good and I?d dearly love to play in one of those games at home in front of my family.

So fingers crossed and hopefully we?re travelling all right by then and there should be a huge crowd there as well.?

The New Zealand side is buoyant and full of confidence following last year?s Tri Nations win and Tate says that makes them a dangerous proposition.

?I think that one of the real special things they had going for them last year is that they were really close. And when they had the Sonny Bills and Benji Marshalls they really wanted to play for each other and that?s one of the really big challenges for us this year, to match that camaraderie and playing for each other.

It?s going to be a huge challenge for us.?

The Kangaroos will prepare for the game in Auckland but Tate doesn?t expect the side to be targeted by hostile Kiwi fans in the lead up.

?I don?t think so. It?s like every time you go somewhere, the public are really good they?re just happy to see football played in their state or country and they?ll respect that, but I?m sure come game time they?ll be very vocal.?

Australia has been a notorious slow starter in this tournament and Tate says they will need to be at the top of their game this Saturday night if they are to even match the Kiwis.

?They?re going to come out and be really fired up and they deserve to be favourites for this and their spirit seems to be right back where it was last year.

It?s going to be a huge game, it?s going to be very physical, it always is against the Kiwis and you expect nothing less.?

While seven Broncos are in the Australian squad there?s one on the

Kiwis side too and Tate says Tame Tupou will feel he has a point to prove.

?He was very unlucky not to make the 17 for the Grand Final; he?s been there all year. I think it was just an injury at the wrong time and he got put back by that.

He?ll be fired up I know how much he loves playing for the Kiwis, he?s very passionate about it and he?s going to be ready to rip in and get a couple of us for sure.?

The Broncos also have members of the training and management staff on the tour and Tate says it?s nice to have experienced former players like Allan Langer and Gavin Allen to help them out.

?It?s good to have those guys involved. I asked them how it felt during the week and they said it was great.

It?s always good to have a couple of ex Broncos around. Especially a guy like Alf he?s always good value to have around.?

Steelers
09-10-06, 03:53 PM
good news hunt has retained the jumper

I strongly disagree. If Karmichael Hunt wasn't playing there for the many games before the end of the season, then why should he be there now?

Queenslander
09-10-06, 03:54 PM
I strongly disagree. If Karmichael Hunt wasn't playing there for the many games before the end of the season, then why should he be there now?

I have also had the same doubts about Hunt considering he has been put into another position due to the form of another player at fullback....I think that Stuart will keep it safe and stick Hunt at fullback and Hodges at centre with the pair switching throughout the game.

Grimmace
09-10-06, 05:43 PM
Tate Ready to Fight for Test Spot
Monday, October 9, 2006 - 4:30 PM

Brisbane centre Brent Tate is preparing for a tough battle ahead with the Gillette Tri Nations set to start on Saturday night at Auckland?s Mount Smart Stadium. Tate is preparing to mix it up with some of the best players in the world and ready to do what it takes, and that?s just to win a spot in the Australian side.

Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart has gone on the record saying no one has a secure spot and he?s confident that all 23 players in his squad are up to test football.

Justin Hodges, Karmichael Hunt and Greg Inglis can all play wing, fullback or centre while Mark Gasnier, Matt King, Brent Tate, Jarryd Hayne, and eventually Jamie Lyon, come into contention for centre or wing. Even utilities Ben Hornby, Reni Maitua and Shaun Berrigan have spent time in the centres this season.

Tate says it?s a strong situation to be in and there?s some stiff competition to earn a test jersey against New Zealand.

?There is but it?s no different to any other Australian side I?ve been in, there?s always competition for spots.

It?s probably a little bit fiercer, but I?m really looking forward to the challenge and if I get the chance I?ll take it with both hands and stay there.?

Justin Hodges and Jarryd Hayne are expected to pass fitness tests after suffering slight hamstring problems and Tate says he?s hoping Hodges gets the nod at fullback.

?He?s played really well there and that just opens up another spot but whatever happens I?m sure each and every one of us will get a chance at some time during the series.?

Halfback is also a spot that is yet to be decided and Ricky Stuart has stated he wants to look at the combinations in training before deciding on his team for game one.

Tate says the players have to prove on the training track how much they want a spot.

?There?s possibilities all over the park and I?m sure we?ll gel together well we?ll played together in Australian sides before.

I don?t think combinations are going to be a problem. Gasnier, Lockyer and King they?re all good players so the challenge for us is to gel that little bit quicker and make it happen.?

The Australian rugby league squad has touched down in Auckland ready to begin their Tri Nations campaign and Tate says the seven strong Brisbane contingent have put Grand Final celebrations behind them and fitness won?t be a concern.

?Yeah it?s pretty good we?ve had a bit of a run already and some fitness work and I didn?t pull up too bad which is quite surprising after the week we?ve had.?

The 11 test veteran says there?s been no flaunting of Premiership rings and the Broncos boys have resisted the Grand Final bragging since joining the camp.

?No not really it?s better to have some humility so we?ve been a bit quiet. I?d love to do it all again though, I still haven?t wiped the smile off my face that?s for sure.?

After a slow start to the season the 24-year old is looking to top his sensational season of winning the Premiership and State of Origin series with Queensland with a recall to the Test side and win back the Gillette Tri Nations.

Tate says he never thought he?d be in this situation after his below par performance for Queensland in the Origin opener.

?I suppose for Origin one Wayne said I wasn?t ready, and I probably wasn?t, and I struggled in that first game.

I had a pretty interrupted start to the season, I didn?t have a preseason. Once I started playing and started finding some fitness and my ankle started feeling a lot better and then your confidence grows.

Origin this year was pretty special and to finish the year with the Grand Final as well it?s been a pretty special year.?

The opportunity to wear the Green and Gold in a home Tri Nations series also has a special appeal to the Kangaroos.

?Yeah I think it?s really good playing at home. I?ve been over to England for the past couple of years so to have it our here is pretty special. There deserves to be a lot of interest around this game because New Zealand has done really well, the Poms are getting better every year so hopefully we get some big crowds to these games and get International footy where it should be.?

While Tate will do everything in his power to make the Australian side to kick the tournament off at Mount Smart Stadium this Saturday night, he says he?s marked the Brisbane test against Great Britain on November 18 down on his calendar as a special night because the Brisbane fans love their test footy.

?Yeah they do and they haven?t had one there for a while so to get one back there would be really good and I?d dearly love to play in one of those games at home in front of my family.

So fingers crossed and hopefully we?re travelling all right by then and there should be a huge crowd there as well.?

The New Zealand side is buoyant and full of confidence following last year?s Tri Nations win and Tate says that makes them a dangerous proposition.

?I think that one of the real special things they had going for them last year is that they were really close. And when they had the Sonny Bills and Benji Marshalls they really wanted to play for each other and that?s one of the really big challenges for us this year, to match that camaraderie and playing for each other.

It?s going to be a huge challenge for us.?

The Kangaroos will prepare for the game in Auckland but Tate doesn?t expect the side to be targeted by hostile Kiwi fans in the lead up.

?I don?t think so. It?s like every time you go somewhere, the public are really good they?re just happy to see football played in their state or country and they?ll respect that, but I?m sure come game time they?ll be very vocal.?

Australia has been a notorious slow starter in this tournament and Tate says they will need to be at the top of their game this Saturday night if they are to even match the Kiwis.

?They?re going to come out and be really fired up and they deserve to be favourites for this and their spirit seems to be right back where it was last year.

It?s going to be a huge game, it?s going to be very physical, it always is against the Kiwis and you expect nothing less.?

While seven Broncos are in the Australian squad there?s one on the

Kiwis side too and Tate says Tame Tupou will feel he has a point to prove.

?He was very unlucky not to make the 17 for the Grand Final; he?s been there all year. I think it was just an injury at the wrong time and he got put back by that.

He?ll be fired up I know how much he loves playing for the Kiwis, he?s very passionate about it and he?s going to be ready to rip in and get a couple of us for sure.?

The Broncos also have members of the training and management staff on the tour and Tate says it?s nice to have experienced former players like Allan Langer and Gavin Allen to help them out.

?It?s good to have those guys involved. I asked them how it felt during the week and they said it was great.

It?s always good to have a couple of ex Broncos around. Especially a guy like Alf he?s always good value to have around.?

Queenslander
10-10-06, 09:50 AM
Kiwis Choose Youth
Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 10:24 AM

New Zealand selectors have opted for a young side and four debutants for Saturday night?s first Gillette Tri Nation?s match against Australia at Mount Smart Stadium.

With an average age of just under 25 the Roosters Iosia Soliola, Manly?s Steve Matai, the Warriors Simon Mannering and the Storm?s Adam Blair will all make their test debuts against the Kangaroos.

Only Stacey Jones, skipper Ruben Wiki and Nigel Vagana are 30 or over.

The full squad is:

1. Brent Webb
2. Tame Tupou
3. Iosia Soliola
4. Steve Matai
5. Manu Vatuvei
6. Nigel Vagana
7. Stacey Jones
8. Ruben Wiki ?
9. Dene Halatau
10. Roy Asotasi
11. David Kidwell
12. Tony Puletua
13. Simon Mannering

14. Jerome Ropati
15. Nathan Cayless
16. Adam Blair
17. Frank Pritchard

The Kiwis are the current holders of the Gillette Tri Nations.

The Australian team for Saturday night?s game will be announced tomorrow morning.

Reni locks up debut for Roos
By Margie McDonald
October 10, 2006

BULLDOGS utility Reni Maitua has capped a roller-coaster season by being named in the starting side as he makes his Test debut for Australia against New Zealand at Mt Smart Stadium in Auckland on Saturday.

Maitua went into the 23-man squad only when Brisbane lock Tonie Carroll was ruled out with a knee injury following the Broncos' grand final triumph.

This season has been one of highs and lows for the 24 year old.

Maitua was charged with drink-driving on Anzac Day, and he said the incident sent him into depression. His form slid, and he was forced to fight his way back from premier league after being demoted for being late to training.

But the talented utility put his head down after advice from teammate and friend Willie Mason, and he was one of the Bulldogs' key players in their finals campaign.

The identity of the crucial halfback position should become a little clearer at the Kangaroos' first training run in New Zealand this morning.

The selection is a two-horse race between Jonathan Thurston and Ben Hornby, but the former's familiarity with five-eighth and captain Darren Lockyer, and hooker Cameron Smith - a relationship forged over the past six Origin games for Queensland, including the series win this year - will count heavily in the North Queensland player's favour.

Thurston has played one Test, but he has played just two matches since returning from a serious knee injury. He dislocated his kneecap in round 20 and missed six weeks.

The No.7 jumper was last worn by Andrew Johns in his farewell Test at Suncorp Stadium in May, when Australia walloped the Kiwis 50-12.

Australia coach Ricky Stuart knows the importance of gaining the upper hand in the 2006 series by winning the opening Test.

Thurston's knowledge of Lockyer and Smith's playing style would go a long way to igniting the Australian attack.

"It's an important game, the first game, and it always gives a side that bit of confidence starting off the series," Stuart said yesterday at Sydney airport before flying to New Zealand with 22 of his 23-man squad.

Jamie Lyon is playing for St Helens in the Super League grand final against Hull on Saturday, and he will join the camp next week.

Stuart discussed the Thurston-Hornby dilemma with assistant coach Allan Langer today, and also sought Lockyer's counsel.

"I'll always involve the captain," Stuart said.

"Darren is a terrific leader and he should be given the privilege of being involved in the selection process."

The No.7 not only has to fill Johns' shoes but also take on the evergreen Kiwis halfback Stacey Jones, a veteran of 41 Tests.

Stuart was full of praise for Jones' skills yesterday.

"Huge ... huge difference," he said when asked his assessment of Jones' decision to return from retirement for a second time.

"Having Stacey Jones play there gives them great experience, great maturity.

"He's a player that has been there through all these big games and not just played in them but won them for New Zealand."

Jones, like Thurston, has overcome serious injury in 2006. He missed four months with his French Super League side, Les Catalans, due to a broken arm.

But Stuart knows that will not have slowed him down or dulled his instincts.

"His tactical kicking game is very smart and the way he steers his team around is really important too.

"Stacey gives them a lot of direction and that's one thing the Kiwis probably lacked last May."

Karmichael Hunt is expected to retain the fullback jumper even though Broncos teammate Justin Hodges played in the position for most of Brisbane's finals campaign.

The Australian

Grimmace
10-10-06, 11:39 AM
Klein refs opening Tests

October 10, 2006 ENGLISH Super League referee Ashley Klein has been appointed to the first two matches of the Tri Nations series beginning this weekend.

Klein, an Australian based in England, was the 2005 Super League referee of the year and controlled this year's Test between Australia and New Zealand in May.

Australia plays New Zealand at Mt Smart Stadium on Saturday before a return fixture at Melbourne's Telstra Dome a week later.

AAP

Grimmace
10-10-06, 12:37 PM
Thurston Wins Halfback Spot
Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 1:15 PM

Australian coach Ricky Stuart has included five debutants in the team to play New Zealand in game one of the Gillette Tri Nations series this Saturday night at Mount Smart Stadium.

Justin Hodges, Greg Inglis, Cameron Smith, Reni Maitua and Brent Kite will all wear the Green and Gold for the first time while Cowboys and Queensland halfback has denied Ben Hornby the chance to make his test debut in the number 7.

The full team is:

1. Karmichael Hunt

2. Matt King

3. Mark Gasnier

4. Justin Hodges

5. Greg Inglis

6. Darren Lockyer (c)

7. Johnathan Thurston

8. Willie Mason

9. Cameron Smith

10.Petero Civoniceva

11.Luke O?Donnell

12.Nathan Hindmarsh

13.Reni Maitua

14.Mark O?Meley

15.Shaun Berrigan

16.Andrew Ryan

17.Brent Kite

The team was originally due to be named tomorrow but the announcement was brought forward.

New Zealand also announced its side for game one today.

Cowboy Titan
10-10-06, 01:37 PM
Great looking side. I can't wait to see how they go on Saturday night.

Meh
10-10-06, 03:42 PM
Really looking forward to the thurston jones match-up, along with mannering in at lock...didnt see that one coming but come to think of it...he could fill that role quite well. looks like a great game, if the kiwis can keep their heads in it.

Victor
11-10-06, 05:48 AM
the side is good, but to me its not really exciting

Titanium_BD1103
11-10-06, 08:28 AM
I have to agree Victor... :)

I feel really sorry for Brent Tate, who has played superbly and deserves a starting spot... I think he is the unlucky one there.

However its more in the forwards I am less happy. Hindmarsh and O'Donnell provide the same sort of play as the other one, and against a Kiwi side in particular that has some extremely mobile forwards, I would have preferred to have seen O'Meley start and use his running style at Prop and had Mason in the 2nd row to help the versatility issue... with O'Donnell providing impact off the bench.

Oh well, I guess that might change in the long run, but that's my 2c worth.. I just think that we need some difference in playing style of forwards to give us something of an edge against a Kiwi side that has quite a fair bit of versatility in their forwards.

Grimmace
11-10-06, 08:30 AM
I agree with what victor and TJ said this side aint that good i hate how they play Inglis out on the wing and im not sure about Hunt at fullback considering he hasnt played the full 80 minutes at fullback for quite some time now.

Titanium_BD1103
11-10-06, 08:35 AM
I agree with what victor and TJ said this side aint that good i hate how they play Inglis out on the wing and im not sure about Hunt at fullback considering he hasnt played the full 80 minutes at fullback for quite some time now.

LOL I was too yesterday Grimmace, but TBH, I can see Hodges, Inglis and Hunt interchanging throughout the game as needed, so we have a very versatile backline and it does suit us nicely... :)

However as I said before, I feel sorry for Tate, who is the form centre ATM IMO... but I can see how this will work, and even though Karmichael hasn't played as much as the others this season, he provides more ability to move the side around as needed compared to Brent.

I am sure though Brent will get a chance this Tri-Nations, the backline will be on rotation policy I think... ;)

Grimmace
11-10-06, 08:45 AM
I am sure though Brent will get a chance this Tri-Nations, the backline will be on rotation policy I think... ;)
And so should the fowards.Its Great to have exprerience but we need to start blooding youths befroe the WC

Queenslander
11-10-06, 02:05 PM
Young Roos bracing for Kiwis' heavy hits
Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 2:16 PM

Kangaroos debutants have been warned of "chaos" in the early period of Saturday's Tri Nations opener as the Kiwis attempt to rough them up.

Five newcomers have been named in the Australian rugby league squad and more experienced teammates have told them to prepare for a torrid time at Auckland's Mt Smart Stadium.

"They said that especially the first 20 minutes will be a bit of chaos," said Reni Maitua, who debuts at lock for the Kangaroos.

"We're going to be expecting it and I think they should expect the same from us," the Bulldogs player said.

Nineteen-year-old Greg Inglis said he wouldn't be intimidated despite seeing teammate Karmichael Hunt stretchered off in the Anzac Test after a heavy hit.

"They'll probably get out there and try to bash you like they tried to do against K and obviously they succeeded," said Inglis, who starts on the wing Saturday night.

"I'm going to go out there and do what I do best.

"I'll be in there going looking for the ball."

New Zealand-born Hunt, who returns at fullback for the Kangaroos, was given special attention in Brisbane, apparently over his decision to play for Australia at the Kiwis' expense.

Maitua did not think he would be similarly singled out over remarks he made about rejecting overtures two years ago to join the New Zealand team.

"I'm not a Kiwi ... There's no reason why they should target me more than any other players," he said.

"Anyone with the ball is a target."

Maitua was born in Sydney but is eligible to represent New Zealand because his Samoan father once lived in the country.

Bulldogs teammate Willie Mason has criticised New Zealand media for trying to claim Australian-born players such as Maitua as Kiwis.

Kiwis coach Brian McClennan and local newspapers responded by pointing out that Mason himself was born in Auckland.

Both Maitua and Inglis rated their Kangaroos selection as a career high.

"I had a smile deep inside but didn't show it," said Inglis, who was unconcerned about playing in unfamiliar territory on the wing.

"It's not the position I prefer to play in but I got named there so I'll do my job there."

Inglis plays centre or fullback for the Storm but has appeared on the wing for Queensland in this year's State of Origin series.

He did not think coach Ricky Stuart has put him in that position to counter the Kiwis' big wingers.

"I don't know what Sticky's strategy is but he named me there for a purpose and I'll do my role," Inglis said.

Queenslander
11-10-06, 04:07 PM
Hunt to stay at fullback
By Adrian Proszenko
October 11, 2006

AUSTRALIA coach Ricky Stuart is set to ignore Brisbane's premiership formula and play Karmichael Hunt only at fullback in the Test against New Zealand.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett's ploy to interchange Hunt and centre Justin Hodges paid rich dividends during the finals series, giving both his strike weapons an opportunity to attack from broken play.

While Stuart has not yet formally addressed the team about tactics and game plans, Hunt predicted he would play out the entire Test from the back.

"He picked me at fullback so I'd expect to be playing fullback for the whole game,'' Hunt said.

"I'd say I'd be sitting at the back as normal and Hodgo will be doing his thing in the centres. I love playing fullback so I don't mind just staying at the back there.

"At the Broncos it was a different story, giving me and Justin to give him a bit of a run and also a bit of a rest as well. We'll have to see what happens.''

Hunt said the custodian role gave him an opportunity to ease the playmaking responsibilities off five-eighth Darren Lockyer.

"For most of the year, until I got injured, that was the type of role I was playing,'' Hunt said of their Broncos combination.

"JT (Johnathan Thurston) is there in the halfback role so I don't want to take too much away from him.

"I'll just back up when I can and play out wide off Lockyer, that's my role.''

Hunt said it felt "odd'' that he was the Kangaroos custodian but did not have the role full time at the Broncos.

"It is a bit odd but I knew the reason why I wasn't playing the whole game at fullback for the club,'' he said.

"It was about the structure we wanted to play and changing up with Hodgo was just about helping the team out, and that's what we are all about.

"It's a bit different but I'm happy getting the number one jersey and I'm looking forward to it.''

Hunt received a hostile reception when he made his debut in the Anzac Test as the Kiwis were privately upset he declined an invitation to play for them.

He was targeted every time he touched the ball and was knocked out in a ferocious hit by Penrith enforcer Frank Pritchard.

He and teammate Reni Maitua, who also rejected invites to represent New Zealand, are likely to get a hostile encounter on Saturday night at Mt Smart Stadium.

"I'm expecting another tough encounter, at Test level, you're not going to get anything less,'' he said.

"We chose to play for Australia and that's the final choice. We are not worried about outside influences about them claiming us.

"We're just proud to be in the side and pulling on that Aussie jersey.''

The absence of injured No.1 Anthony Minichiello has given Hunt another chance to impress in the green and gold, but he felt no added pressure to secure the spot long-term.

"I haven't thought about it, the only goal I'm thinking about is doing the best I can for my teammates and my country, that's all I can do,'' he said.

AAP

Queenslander
12-10-06, 07:42 AM
Anger over delayed telecast
By Dean Ritchie
October 12, 2006

CHANNEL 9 yesterday came under heavy fire for refusing to telecast Saturday's Tri-Nations Test between Australia and New Zealand live and instead airing an episode of Australia's Funniest Home Videos.

Ignoring fans' wishes for the match to be shown live from 5pm (8pm Auckland time), Nine will show host Toni Pearen and video clips of what one website describes as: "People falling over and hurting themselves; babies and animals doing amusing things or old people doing things they shouldn't be doing."

The match will be shown on Nine at 6.30pm - 90 minutes after kick-off.

Nine will telecast Australia's Funniest Home Videos and then, importantly to them, their news bulletin while the Test match is being played.

It will be virtually impossible for fans to watch the match and not know the score given the internet coverage, TV updates, radio bulletins and 2GB's decision to call the game live.

Nine's decision comes as free-to-air stations run commercials over the federal government's anti-siphoning laws, claiming the public should be allowed to watch sport free and not be forced to buy Fox Sports.

Fox Sports claimed last night it would happily show the game live given their campaign aimed at free-to-air stations states: "Use it or lose it."

Nine head of sport Steve Crawley said the International Rugby League Board stated all Tri-Nations games must kick off at 8pm.

"It if was on at a time when it could be shown live, we would," said Crawley.

"Nine has made a massive commitment to live sport. All Tri-Nations games played in Australia will be shown live."

2GB's rugby league broadcaster Ray Hadley was astounded at Nine's decision.

"I have no control over Channel 9 but I find it strange that they are in a battle with pay-TV over anti-siphoning and they don't seize the opportunity to show the game live," Hadley said.

"Everywhere you look there are ads saying you shouldn't pay for your sport. They have missed an opportunity. We will call it live."

ARL chairman Colin Love was diplomatic yesterday.

"Naturally we would prefer the game to be shown live but you have to be realistic," Love said.

"Nine has its news at 6pm and they can't run the risk of interfering with that."

Fox Sports chief operating officer John Marquard added: "They (free-to-air stations) run campaigns to save sport but then don't put sport on live. The fans want to see their sport live."

The industry body for pay-television, ASTRA, also hit out at Nine.

"Not even a Test against arch rivals New Zealand is safe from free-to-air TV abuse of the special privileges they are given under Australia's sports broadcasting laws," said ASTRA executive director Debra Richards.

Former Australia great Brett Kenny was upset at Nine's decision, saying: "It is ridiculous it's not live. Radio do it live, so why can't television?"

The Daily Telegraph

Poida
13-10-06, 07:03 AM
Thurston to make No.7 his own

By Adrian Proszenko

October 12, 2006 HAVING been given first crack at filling Andrew Johns' boots, Johnathan Thurston has no intention of giving anyone else a look-in during the Tri-Nations series.

Thurston was handed the Australian halfback role ahead of St George-Illawarra utility Ben Hornby, despite the fact injuries and North Queensland's finals absence limited him to just 17 NRL appearances this season.

"There's good competition in the squad for spots and I've got first crack at it now and I want to hold that spot for the next six weeks,'' Thurston said.

"I wasn't confident (of being selected) at all. The only thing I had going for me was Origin and that was six months ago.

"I've missed a fair bit of footy, so I was twiddling my thumbs, hoping to get the nod ahead of Benny.''

Johns himself nominated Thurston as his long-term successor in the lead-up to the Anzac Test in May, where the 2005 Dally M medalist made his debut off the bench.

"I think so, he doesn't throw too many wraps around, Joey,'' Thurston said when asked if Johns' endorsement gave him a confidence boost.

"It's very flattering and hopefully I can keep this number seven jersey for the next few weeks.''

Despite taking over from the legendary Johns, the 23-year-old felt no added pressure to perform in Saturday's encounter against New Zealand at Mt Smart Stadium.

"I don't feel any pressure, I don't put any pressure on myself to perform or anything like that,'' he said.

"I'm not feeling any pressure at all.''

Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart claimed Thurston's lack of match fitness was not an issue and said his combination with five-eighth Darren Lockyer and the rest of his teammates had improved as the week progressed.

"There was obviously a bit of pressure on Ben and Johnathan in regards to who was going to be selected - when I say pressure, they were probably both very anxious,'' Stuart said.

"Yesterday you could see he was very light on his feet, very happy to be selected and confident in what he was doing.

"He had probably his best session of the week yesterday for us. That gives you a little bit of excitement too, knowing you're in the team and you don't have to worry about outside influences, whether you're going to be picked or not.''

Rival halfback Stacey Jones said Thurston's selection represented a changing of the guard in the Australia team.

"Andrew Johns was so dominant there and Brett Kimmorley as well,'' Jones said.

"There's a couple of young players coming through now and he's part of it.''

AAP

davo
13-10-06, 07:45 PM
AS ALWAYS STAYING LOYAL TO MY COUNTRY 'KIWIS BY 10' SHOULD RUFFLE SOME FEATHERS. KIA KAHA BOYS !!!( just a reminder watch out for willie he sounds a little bit scary) BRING IT ON.

Meh
13-10-06, 07:56 PM
I honestly cant predict any aspect of this game, it will depend alot on how each player shows up on the field.

Robbie_Dee
13-10-06, 07:58 PM
I saw on tv tonight (forgot what show) that the kiwi's are trying to fade out the lines and make the field skinnier...as they did last year. why would you do that...both teams have to play on the same field, if it disadvantages australia, it will do exactly the same for the Kiwi's.

Queenslander
13-10-06, 08:41 PM
Lockyer ready to play 'real' NZ team
Friday, October 13, 2006 - 5:36 PM

Kangaroos captain Darren Lockyer says the Tri Nations campaign will provide a better indication of the quality of New Zealand's squad than the lopsided Anzac Test result.

The Kiwis, pummelled 50-12 in the mid-season clash, said this week they would prefer to be judged on their Tri Nations campaign, citing the absence of key personnel during the Suncorp Stadium encounter.

On that occasion, inspirational captain Ruben Wiki pulled out with injury at the last minute, while several England-based players were unavailable.

"The Anzac Test is a one-off game and I think now they've got their full squad together they'll be looking to repeat what they did (in the final) last year," Lockyer said.

"They've got seven weeks to get themselves into a position to win the title again.

"You would probably say they weren't at full strength mid-season, but now all their English-based players are back they probably think this is their best team and best chance."

Meanwhile, Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart has paid Darren Lockyer the ultimate complement on the eve of the big game, predicting the champion pivot will be remembered as "one of Australia's great captains".

Stuart made the surprising assessment during Australia's final training session at Mt Smart Stadium, a venue under increasing scrutiny following rumours the Kiwis have intentionally shortened the dimensions of the field to blunt the visitors' expansive game.

The Kiwis created a furore prior to the opening match of the 2001 series when they marked out a field just 61 metres in width - seven metres short of the international regulations agreed by the three competing nations.

The issue surfaced again after the original field markings were rubbed out and new sidelines marked - a metre in on each touchline.

The in-goals were also shortened by up to three metres, raising questions if they were the shorter than the required eight metres.

Kiwi officials claimed the field was a standard size.

"No one has complained to us ... I'd be surprised if it wasn't regulation," Australian Rugby League chief executive Geoff Carr said.

Lockyer downplayed any effect a skinnier field would have on the result.

"I don't think that will impact us too much, both teams will have to play on the same field, so it won't impact us at all," he said.

Stuart claimed Lockyer had grown into the leadership role to the point where he was one of the best skippers in Australia's proud 99-year Test-match history.

"Darren Lockyer, we all know what type of ability he's got," Stuart said.

"Where I think Darren Lockyer has matured and improved his game is his leadership.

"He's an outstanding leader and I said that after the Anzac Test this year after first having my first experience with Darren.

"He'll go down in the record books as one of Australia's great captains."

Lockyer has captained the Kangaroos on 14 occasions for 11 wins, two losses and a draw, a win-loss record that is comparable to the great Test skippers of the past including Mal Meninga, Wally Lewis and Clive Churchill.

Asked how Lockyer's leadership skills had evolved, Stuart said: "I think just maturity changes you, changes all of us.

"Not that he had any problems, but I think maturity gives you more responsibility and he's taken that on and done a fine job of it."

Lockyer named 'one of the greats'
By Adrian Proszenko
October 13, 2006

AUSTRALIA coach Ricky Stuart has paid Darren Lockyer the ultimate compliment, predicting the champion pivot will be remembered as "one of Australia's great captains."

Stuart made the surprising assessment during Australia's final training session at Mt Smart Stadium, a venue under increasing scrutiny following rumours the Kiwis have intentionally shortened the dimensions of the field to blunt the visitors' expansive game.

The Kiwis created a furore prior to the opening match of the 2001 series when they marked out a field just 61 metres in width - seven metres short of the international regulations agreed by the three competing nations.

The issue surfaced again today after the original field markings were rubbed out and new sidelines marked - a metre in on each touchline.

The in-goals were also shortened by up to three metres, raising questions if they were the shorter than the required eight metres. Kiwi officials claimed the field was a standard size.

"No one has complained to us ... I'd be surprised if it wasn't regulation," Australian Rugby League chief executive Geoff Carr said tonight.

Lockyer downplayed any effect a skinnier field would have on the result.

"I don't think that will impact us too much, both teams will have to play on the same field, so it won't impact us at all," he said.

Stuart, meanwhile, claimed Lockyer had grown into the leadership role to the point where he was one of the best skippers in Australia's proud 99-year Test-match history.

"Darren Lockyer, we all know what type of ability he's got," Stuart said.

"Where I think Darren Lockyer has matured and improved his game is his leadership.

"He's an outstanding leader and I said that after the Anzac Test this year after first having my first experience with Darren.

"I'd never been involved with Darren before and experiencing him in camp and experiencing him in the game and then having a week with him so far, you can just see from the body language and the people around him that he's got great leadership.

"He's really maturing into a fantastic leader and he will continue on for a number of years.

"He'll go down in the record books as one of Australia's great captains."

Lockyer has captained the Kangaroos on 14 occasions for 11 wins, two losses and a draw, a win-loss record that is comparable to the great Australia skippers of the past including Mal Meninga, Wally Lewis and Clive Churchill.

Asked how Lockyer's leadership skills had evolved, Stuart said: "I think just maturity changes you, changes all of us.

"Not that he had any problems, but I think maturity gives you more responsibility and he's taken that on and done a fine job of it."

AAP

~Wild Child~
14-10-06, 10:22 AM
Aussies by 10 :emp:

Darren Lockyer
14-10-06, 11:12 AM
go aussies

DeeGan
14-10-06, 12:39 PM
Can't wait for tonight.

I think Australia will win though I am not going to put the house on it. I agree with Bennett, this will be our toughest test match of the series where the Kiwis ALWAYS in recent time fire up for the match.

Expect fireworks, some "ring rust" and I think the victor will win by 12 or more. There will be an initial arm wrestle though I think Australia will come home with a wet sail led by Darren Lockyer who is in the form of his career. Watching Lockyer closely since Origin, he has that "swagger" about him as if he is finally comfortable in the five-eight role. Daunting prospect for New Zealand especially if we dominate the forwards.

Titanium_BD1103
14-10-06, 12:47 PM
I'll go with Australia, for the simple fact I am an Aussie... :lol!:

I reckon it will be a tight struggle, that as DeeGan said will open up into a much more freeflowing game at the latter end of the halves as forwards get tired and backs find more room.

I think Australia have the backline to do the job, but our forwards are not a versatile, so its a case of getting at the Kiwis early on, do that, rattle them and we should be headed towards a win.

Winning in NZ though is always tough, so I will go Australia by 6.

Robbie_Dee
14-10-06, 12:56 PM
If the halves fire up and play their game, they'll win. Lockyer and Thurston can be very punishing when they get on a roll. This year the foward pack doesnt seem as powerfull as last years. this probably comes down to Webcke's retirement. but they're all very capable and will do australia proud. Im expecting australia to win by 10.

jake86
14-10-06, 03:19 PM
Hopefully this will be close

The roos have a better backline, but the forwards are fairly even. If our forwards can match theirs, we should win. I like the fact we have Smith, Thurston and Lockyer in the halves. They have played the last 6 origins together, and by now should know each others game's fairly well.

But we havnt started well in previous years. I guess it may be that whoever plays better as a team will win. On paper, we should've won last years series by plenty, but the kiwis smashed us in the final because they wanted it more, and had a team that gelled at the right.

Aussies by 12, 30-18. You heard it here first!

Robbie_Dee
14-10-06, 06:18 PM
This game is so good 20 minutes in! Everythings hapening...Mason Getting snapped in a tackle :box: ...Fights :box: ...Camera men getting knocked over :box: ...Kiwi's passing it straight to Thurston...Action packed! This is a great game! Australia looking pretty good atm..lets hope we can keep it together

My highlight so far...Mason getting fired up during the harker! that was funny as. Kidwill got a bit of payback with his hit up on him but. lol

Boofhead
14-10-06, 06:29 PM
Hopefully this will be close

The roos have a better backline, but the forwards are fairly even. If our forwards can match theirs, we should win. I like the fact we have Smith, Thurston and Lockyer in the halves. They have played the last 6 origins together, and by now should know each others game's fairly well.

But we havnt started well in previous years. I guess it may be that whoever plays better as a team will win. On paper, we should've won last years series by plenty, but the kiwis smashed us in the final because they wanted it more, and had a team that gelled at the right.

Aussies by 12, 30-18. You heard it here first!

:lol!: Nice guess!

Poida
14-10-06, 06:34 PM
i like how thurstons playing. he was alive twice before hunts try

Robbie_Dee
14-10-06, 06:39 PM
GASNIER!!! what a try...

australia are just on fire...thurston, converting the tries very nicely! I think Lockyer needs to see the ball a bit more though...i havnt seen him too many times with it.

The referee is doing a farely decent job too.

Poida
14-10-06, 06:41 PM
i like the fact they give thurston and smith the ball.
lockyer shouldnt get the ball heaps

Robbie_Dee
14-10-06, 06:44 PM
lockyer shouldnt get the ball heapswtf, of co**** he should, hes the best player on the park tonight...

Poida
14-10-06, 06:51 PM
wtf, of co**** he should, hes the best player on the park tonight...
i didnt say at all i just said he shouldnt get too much ball.
i like the fact they give thurston and smith the ball.

Robbie_Dee
14-10-06, 07:41 PM
The final score was 30-18 australia! put in a great effort, but lost the intensity in the 2nd half which was a bit of a shame...i think the best player out there tonight was thurston despite a couple of loose passes. He put in a great game offering australia many attacking plays.

~Wild Child~
14-10-06, 07:47 PM
Aussie Aussie Aussie :win: Hunt, Thurston and Locky were the best players on the field tonight :clap:

Poida
14-10-06, 07:54 PM
sweet now cant wait for rest of games to finish.

~Wild Child~
14-10-06, 07:56 PM
Karmichael Hunt :win: :clap: MOTM :clap:

Grimmace
14-10-06, 08:08 PM
Kangaroos bounce Kiwis in Tri Nations

Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 7:22 PM

Having been given first crack at Andrew John's halfback jersey, Johnathan Thurston made the most of the opportunity to orchestrate Australia's 30-18 win over New Zealand in a spiteful Tri Nations opener at Mt Smart Stadium in Auckland.

Thurston had a hand in four of the Kangaroos five tries and kicked five goals from six attempts in a man-of-the-match performance against the defending champions.

Fullback Karmichael Hunt scored two tries, but the game will be remembered for the explosive defence in a game which threatened to erupt on several occasions.

The tone for the match was set before kick-off, when Bulldogs enforcer Willie Mason stared down the haka and seemed to mouth an obscenity.

Mason, who came off the bench despite being named in the starting side, was targeted every time he touched the ball, with Kiwis enforcer David Kidwell crunching him in one of the most ferocious shoulder charges of the season.

The game exploded in the 23rd minute, a stoush between three quarters Matt King and Manu Vatuvei sparking an all-in brawl.

King came up swinging after Vatuvei pushed him over the sideline and into an advertising boarding, with a crowd of 17,887 baying for blood.

Makeshift pivot Nigel Vagana scored the opening try of the series, catching the markers napping on a 15-metre scoot from dummy half.

There was some doubt over the grounding of the football, but video referees Ian McIntosh and Steve Nash ruled a benefit of the doubt try for the home side.

The Kangaroos hit back with two tries to fullback Hunt in the space of just four minutes, with playmakers Thurston and Darren Lockyer instrumental in both.

Lockyer set up the first with a sublime long pass, while his halves partner opened up the defence with a short gem.

And then Mark Gasnier extended the halftime advantage to 20-6 when he scored a 90m try against the run of play just a minute before the main break.

Interchange hooker Jerome Ropati raised hopes of a comeback when he crossed midway through the stanza, but Mark O'Meley cancelled out his try with one of his own seven minutes later.

Debutant Greg Inglis sealed the result five minutes from time after latching onto a cut-out ball from Thurston, with Vatuvei scoring a late consolation try.

Australia 30 (Karmichael Hunt 2 Mark Gasnier Mark O'Meley Greg Inglis tries; Johnathan Thurston 5 goals)
New Zealand 18 (Nigel Vagana Jerome Ropati Manu Vatuvei tries; Stacey Jones 3 goals).
Referee: Ashley Klein (Aus).
Crowd: 17,887, at Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland

Robbie_Dee
14-10-06, 08:15 PM
I missed the motm announcement on telly...michel said it went to hunt...but in the article it says it went to thurston...

Poida
14-10-06, 08:16 PM
nope it went to hunt. although he only got 2 tries i say thurston orlocky shoulda got it

Robbie_Dee
14-10-06, 08:17 PM
nope it went to hunt. although he only got 2 tries i say thurston orlocky shoulda got ityeah i agree, Hunt was good, but IMO thurston put in a bloody good performance. I dunno about lockyer though, he wasnt that outstanding.

Darren Lockyer
14-10-06, 08:25 PM
i didn't get to much of the ball tonight but both thurston and hunt deserved it

Grimmace
14-10-06, 08:25 PM
One thing i hated about the game was the way CH 9 handled it going back to tim sheridan at halftime lol and it felt like it was being boradcast from CH 9 studios. Geez i hope Rabs and Sterling are doing commentary in Melbourne next week what a disgrace.

Poida
14-10-06, 08:26 PM
i didn't get to much of the ball tonight but both thurston and hunt deserved it
Lol

Darren Lockyer
14-10-06, 08:26 PM
One thing i hated about the game was the way CH 9 handled it going back to tim sheridan at halftime lol and it felt like it was being boradcast from CH 9 studios. Geez i hope Rabs and Sterling are doing commentary in Melbourne next week what a disgrace.
i totally agree with you and the fact it wasn't live

Grimmace
14-10-06, 08:28 PM
i totally agree with you and the fact it wasn't live
My point exactly what was the point of going to Time Sherridan Chances are the Commentators were in sydney watching it off a screen

Titanium_BD1103
14-10-06, 08:30 PM
I would have given it to Locky, I thought he was good, but so were Thirsty and Hunt... :)

The Aussie put in a good effort tonight. They did what they had to do and got the job done with professionalism and some good footy. The whole thing did get a bit ragged in the 2nd half, but the score was on the board by then, so now real big issue.

I was critical about Inglis not starting at Number 1 and Tate not in the side, but tonight I am happy to say I now see why Stuart did it. Smith, Lockyer, Hunt, Hodges and Thurston all know each other and their combinations are so fluid, it was just great to watch and especially to have that luxury of players getting into space and knowing someone was there backing them up.

Karmichael had a great game and although I ain't that big a fan of his, he did a very decent job tonight and I have no qualms him keeping the number 1 jersey for a while yet... he was good in defense, great in attack and his combination with Lockyer is superb.

:lol!: at King, WTF was he thinking going and starting a fight, and then he starts it with the wrong guy.. LMAO, that was classic.

LOL at Gould blowing up about the Inglis no try. For those who were wondering it was given no try because Hunt runs into 2 kiwi players as Inglis breaks through the line, and although I reckon it was a poor decision and Inglis should have gotten a try, the fact that Gould went on about that one decision for 15 mins afterwards was just hilarious... :laugh: :laugh:

On that, Why did we have Vossy, Ikin and Gould over in NZ, what happened to the regulars like Sterlo, A Johns, M Johns, even Vautin... I mean the commentary team was questionable tonight, not saying they didn't do a great job, just I was highly surprised by who ended up calling the game.... and no I didn't include Rabs in there because Rabs refuses to travel these days.

Overall though, I am happy, Great performance and bring on Melbourne next week.... :)

Titanium_BD1103
14-10-06, 08:32 PM
My point exactly what was the point of going to Time Sherridan Chances are the Commentators were in sydney watching it off a screen

LOL Grimmace, may have seemed like that, but I can assure you Vossy, Gould and Ikin were in Auckland, ABC Radio did an interview with them before the match, but I wasn't expect them to be THE commentary team... Channel 9 have some explaining to do... if they didn't already... :ok:

Meh
14-10-06, 08:35 PM
I'de like to randomly say, after that hit on mason, kidwell is my hero :D to mouth the words "**** off" during the haka should put a target on your back.

Titanium_BD1103
14-10-06, 08:38 PM
I'de like to randomly say, after that hit on mason, kidwell is my hero :D to mouth the words "**** off" during the haka should put a target on your back.

LMAO I know... but TBH, it was all fun and games.... in the end Kidwell got the payback he wanted and everyone got a good piece of entertainment, I doubt Willie actually meant anything from it, he was just firing up everyone around him and the NZ media... :peace:

~Wild Child~
14-10-06, 08:42 PM
i didn't get to much of the ball tonight but both thurston and hunt deserved it:rotflmao: You and the team looked awesome tonight Darren.

Robbie_Dee
14-10-06, 08:51 PM
One thing i hated about the game was the way CH 9 handled it going back to tim sheridan at halftime lol and it felt like it was being boradcast from CH 9 studios. Geez i hope Rabs and Sterling are doing commentary in Melbourne next week what a disgrace.yeah the whole thing looked unproffessional and was a letdown. even the camera's were poor quality. what was the go with that. Ray warren would have been far better.

Also a better commantry team would have been better than tim sheridan interviewing Brian kearny and matt johns...and for gods sake...If they're going to make out its live, at least dont read answers off a damn sheet brian kearny, it totally looked like a school oral presentation! The only thing i enjoyed tonght was the quality play coming from australia and at times NZ. the whole fulltime report was a major let down.

I found that massive kidwell hit hilarious...seeing big willie drop to the ground was priceless. It lifted the intensity and atmosphere of the game right up, especially for the kiwi's. Mason will sure remember that hit.

Titanium_BD1103
14-10-06, 08:56 PM
yeah the whole thing looked unproffessional and was a letdown. even the camera's were poor quality. what was the go with that. Ray warren would have been far better.

Also a better commantry team would have been better than tim sheridan interviewing Brian kearny and matt johns...and for gods sake...If they're going to make out its live, at least dont read answers off a damn sheet brian kearny, it totally looked like a school oral presentation! The only thing i enjoyed tonght was the quality play coming from australia and at times NZ. the whole fulltime report was a major let down.

I found that massive kidwell hit hilarious...seeing big willie drop to the ground was priceless. It lifted the intensity and atmosphere of the game right up, especially for the kiwi's. Mason will sure remember that hit.

There is no chance you will get Ray Warren commentating, he has said numerous times his days of travelling around interstate and overseas to commentate football are over, he only does swimming events overseas now... ;)

I do agree though that we should have seen Sterlo and Fatty there, even Gordon Tallis or Andrew Johns would have been better than tonights team, sorry to Vossy but those 2 beside you don't do you justice IMO.

As for Willie, he provided entertainment, yes what he did was not really smart, but then again, I guess he wanted to fire everyone up, which he sure did achieve, and Mason will learn not to mouth off because now he has a black eye to show for it... ;)

Robbie_Dee
14-10-06, 09:04 PM
but what a great start to the match...willie mason mouthin off at the kiwi's during the haka...what a legend! i bow down to him. but as you said, it wasnt the smartest thing hes ever done :whatd:

Titanium_BD1103
14-10-06, 09:06 PM
but what a great start to the match...willie mason mouthin off at the kiwi's during the haka...what a legend! i bow down to him. but as you said, it wasnt the smartest thing hes ever done :whatd:

LOL when the Kiwi supporters come on, you are so going to get it... :laugh:

Nah seriously, he wasn't smart doing that, the Haka is not just a dance, but a representation of their culture and history, and he has angered quite a few kiwis tonight from what I am reading on forums.

However I will say that whilst what he did was not smart, it was done as a onfield reaction to a moment, and was really done just to pump up his team... I doubt he even realised the gravity of what he did TBH, maybe he should have, but in that atmosphere... it does happen sometimes...

Grimmace
14-10-06, 09:58 PM
Kangaroos beat NZ 30-18 in Tri Nations

Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 9:55 PM

Willie Mason has been accused of disrespecting the haka after Australia defeated New Zealand 30-18 in a spiteful opening Tri Nations encounter at Mt Smart Stadium.

Mason, who sustained an ugly eye injury when crunched in a ferocious tackle by Kiwi enforcer David Kidwell, set the tone for a bloody battle when he stared down the haka and mouthed an obscenity.

Kidwell denied the hit was retaliation for Mason's actions during the traditional Kiwi pre-game ritual, but said his actions were disrespectful - a claim vehemently rejected by Mason.

And the Bulldogs enforcer then ensured a fiery rematch in Melbourne next Saturday night by declaring he'd get square with Kidwell for his "cheap shot".

"Do I owe him one? Yeah, I do owe him one," Mason said.

"It's just part of the game, it's Test football.

"You give some, you get some, that's about it.

"I didn't see him, I thought it was just a cheap shot, he wasn't in front of me, he was at the side.

"Whether they were trying to call it a big hit or not, I call it a cheap shot.

"That's the way he plays, I've never seen him run in the middle of the ruck to take a hit up.

"I don't care what he says."

Asked if Mason's actions during the haka were disrespectful, Kidwell said: "Yeah, it is, it's a big tradition for my people."

However, Mason said he meant no offence.

"It is a Test match. I respect the haka, I respect the Maori culture and I felt a lot of emotion and things were said in the heat of the battle."

Earlier in the week, the NZRL asked cultural advisor Bailey Mackey to speak with the team about the cultural significance of the ritual.

The fiery mood carried onto the field as well - in the 23rd minute, a stoush between three quarters Matt King and Manu Vatuvei sparking an all-in brawl.

King came up swinging after Vatuvei pushed him over the sideline and into an advertising boarding, with a crowd of 17,887 baying for blood.

"I thought I got pushed in the back into the siteboard and I didn't think it was the right thing to do," King said.

"I just wanted to let him know, that ****, I wasn't going to stand for it."

Vatuvei also pushed Darren Lockyer over the sideline after he cleaned up a ball in his in-goal, the Australian captain narrowly missing a quad bike on the sidelines.

"I was only an inches away from ending up on the motorbike - I was fortunate," Lockyer said.

Debutant Reni Maitua, who sustained an ankle injury, labelled it "dangerous" due to the proximity of the advertising boardings.

When the sides settled down long enough to play football, Australia took control of the game.

The Kiwis scored early through makeshift pivot Nigel Vagana, but two tries in the space of four minutes to Kangaroos fullback Karmichael Hunt swung the advantage in the visitors' favour.

While the defending champions were willing till the end, Australia always seemed in control, thanks mainly to a starring hand from halfback Johnathan Thurston.

In his first opportunity to make Andrew Johns' No.7 jersey his own in Test football, the North Queensland playmaker had a hand in four of the Kangaroos five tries and kicked five goals from six attempts in a man-of-the-match performance.

Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart said the fisticuffs were part and parcel of Test football.

"I didn't see anyone in the stand not enjoy it," he said.

"Nobody got hurt, that's what you expect.

"You don't condone it, but sometimes it's nice to see that passion.

"If international football didn't have that, it would show that it's not important for the players.

Kiwis coach Brian McClennan was pleased with the effort of his team and predicted improvement as the tournament unfolded.

"You can't win the final if you don't make it," he said.

Stuart blasts Tri-Nations referee
By Adrian Proszenko
October 14, 2006

REFEREE Ashley Klein's inability to police a regulation 10 metres contributed to the physical nature of of the opening Tri-Nations Test between New Zealand and Australia, Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart said.

In a match that will be remembered as much for its on-field violence as its skill level, Australia prevailed 30-18 in a spiteful encounter.

"The physical side of it was certainly up to expectations, we expected it," Stuart said.

"The match is even more physical when you play under an eight or nine rule.

" thought the 10 was very skinny tonight.

"It makes it even more of a contest when you have the defence sitting on top of you when you've got the footy."

Stuart, said the Australian-born whistleblower's interpretations played into the Kiwis' hands.

" thought it helped the New Zealand team, they were very fresh," he said.

"When you play a skinny 10 like that, there's not too much ball movement.

"It played into their hands.

"When you've got a fresh team, an eight- or nine-metre rule, there's not a lot of backtracking. Therefore not a lot of fatigue comes into the game.

"I thought they would have cherished that coming in nice and fresh."

Stuart also lamented a no-try ruling against Greg Inglis, with video referees Steve Nash and Ian McIntosh ruling the debutant used a Karmichael Hunt shepherd.

"I think that (obstruction) interpretation is going overboard,"he said.

"I think it's complimenting poor reads in defence.

"I think the Kiwis might have seen it that way, too.

"It was an outstanding play, brilliant individual skill on Greg Inglis' part to score that try."

AAP

davo
15-10-06, 07:04 AM
WHEN ARE THESE PLAYERS GOING TO LEARN, JUST GET OUT THERE PLAY THE GAME AS GOOD AS YOU CAN,OR AS HARD AS YOU CAN,WITHOUT TALKING TO THE MEDIA ABOUT WHAT YOU WILL DO IF ANYONE TOUCHES ONE OF THE 'NEW PUPS' IN THE TEAM, I MEAN WILLY MASON,MARK O'MERELY,THESE GUYS ARE VERY GOOD PLAYERS SOME WOULD SAY THE BEST IN THEIR POSITION (not me personally) BUT YOU HAVE TO ACTUALLY STAY ON THE FIELD IF YOU ARE GOING TO LOOK AFTER THE 'PUPS' WILLY AS FOR THE HAKA DONT EVEN GO THERE. WELL DONE KANGAROOS YOU WHERE THE BETTER SIDE ON THE NIGHT, STILL A WAY TO GO YET, BUDD. BLOODY GOOD SHOT DAVID KIDWEELL THE BIG "FELLA"THOUGHT HE WAS DOING THE "AUSSIE HAKA".

Robbie_Dee
15-10-06, 07:14 AM
"Do I owe him one? Yeah, I do owe him one," Mason said.Haha...oooh...big Willie...you gotta love him.

"I didn't see him, I thought it was just a cheap shot, he wasn't in front of me, he was at the side.

"Whether they were trying to call it a big hit or not, I call it a cheap shot.

"That's the way he plays, I've never seen him run in the middle of the ruck to take a hit up.I think Mason should just accept the fact that he got hammered...the hit up was not cheap, it was a good shoulder charge, that sent him to the ground. It wasn't side on either...Kidwell ran foward, mason on an angle. great tackle, nothing cheap IMO.

Grimmace
15-10-06, 07:34 AM
Mason meant no disrespect to haka
By Ricky Stuart
Australia coach
October 15, 2006

BEFORE the game, during the New Zealand haka, there was apparently an incident involving Willie Mason.

I say apparently because, having not seen it, I can't really comment on the actual incident.

What I can say is that, speaking to Willie after the game, his first reaction was that he thoroughly respects the haka as a war cry of incredible passion and intensity.

Put yourself in the players' position opposing the haka and try to understand the adrenaline surging through their bodies as they prepare for battle.

Myself - and certainly Willie - do not condone any disrespect towards the haka but there is so much passion involved.

I just hope the people watching at home on television understand what the players are experiencing just before a Test.

Any Test against the Kiwis - and moreso in New Zealand - is always going to be a physical experience.

And last night didn't disappoint.

The physical nature of the game was intensified because the 10 metres our players are used to in club football became more like eight metres.

The body contact as a result was fierce and the fights, stinks - call them what you will - came about because of good old-fashioned commitment and passion from players who desperately wanted to win for their country.

It was real international football with passion and commitment from both teams. There were a few sore bodies after the game in our dressing rooms and what is going to be important is how we, as a coaching staff, manage the players.

How we prepare the team, after a long gruelling NRL season and a number of physical tests to come, will be vitally important when it gets to the back end of the tournament.

The preparation will not only involve trying to improve the team as a unit, but focus on the welfare of the players.

Each and every player can improve and I know we can get better as a team - especially our combinations around hooker, halfback and five-eighth.

I thought Shaun Berrigan lifted the tempo of the game when he came on.

Our players' player was Luke O'Donnell, who was very strong. He is the type of player who really enjoys the tough environment.
Source: Sunday Telegraph

Steve
15-10-06, 01:06 PM
I'm Aussie through and through, but I still gave a cheer when Willy got hammered.

I grew up watching MG, it's one thing I miss from the game, the big hits. Nothing high, just a big hit!
And it looked pretty straight on to me.

Willy accusing others of cheap shots? That's rich.

~Wild Child~
15-10-06, 02:59 PM
I'm Aussie through and through, but I still gave a cheer when Willy got hammered.

I grew up watching MG, it's one thing I miss from the game, the big hits. Nothing high, just a big hit!
And it looked pretty straight on to me.

Willy accusing others of cheap shots? That's rich.
I would love to add to your comments Steve...but your last sentence sums up the situation really well. :D

zacaroo
15-10-06, 04:10 PM
i watched the replay today and thought the refereeing was really good...the video reffing with crap...go aussies..

Robbie_Dee
15-10-06, 04:26 PM
i watched the replay todayWhen was the replay on, i missed it.

[BroncosGirl]
15-10-06, 05:16 PM
I hate hearing people ***** about how Mason disrespected the Haka. Bull****.
So the kiwis are allowed to try and intimidate us with their war dance, but we?re not allowed to do or say anything? Mason was getting into it, he?s not kiwi, he doesn?t have the same emotion for the haka as kiwis. It was all fun and game, Mason was simply giving it back to the kiwis, and about time.

Go Hunt :D!

Go_The_Doggies
15-10-06, 05:43 PM
Ima put in my 2cents, and I know probably all of you wont share the same opinion with me, but I don't care lol.

Ok..we all know im a kiwi, so ofcourse i'm not going to like what Mason did, but im over it, its just the fact that people keep going on about it. I must admit I have lost some respect for Mason for what he said, but we wont go into that, I don't wanna chat about the Haka and all that, as i'm sick of explaining to people why I am so against what Mason said.

NZ..last night..we just didn't take our chances and blew them, and didn't have good ball control, and I think we lacked attack and flair in out centres, imo something needs to change, Vagana and Hape to the centres, Ropati to 5/8th maybe?

I felt Simon Mannering had a good solid debut, very proud of him, I felt he could have tackled Gasnier at one point..just before he switched sides, but he still gave it ago :D

Go_The_Doggies
15-10-06, 05:44 PM
i watched the replay today and thought the refereeing was really good...the video reffing with crap...go aussies..
The Video Refeering wasnt crap..was quite clear Vagana had the ball grounded, and had control of it, it was also quite clear that Inglis was no where near the line.

I personally don't think the ref is up to International Standard..he missed some pretty clear Knock-On's and Forward Passes, but then again spotted out some good ones.

Robbie_Dee
15-10-06, 05:51 PM
The Video Refeering wasnt crap..was quite clear Vagana had the ball grounded, and had control of it, it was also quite clear that Inglis was no where near the line.i think he was referring to the obstruction ruling...the try that you stated was legit...JUST!

~Wild Child~
15-10-06, 05:52 PM
I missed the first 10 minutes of the game last night, so I was'nt aware that Mason had used a *four letter word* during the recital of the Haka....You would'nt see players the calibre of Darren Lockyer and the like, act like that...so it that respect Mason he made an ass of himself....I saw the hit-up...and as much as I dislike the Kiwi's.....it was just a good hard hit up..I don't believe there was any malice intended by Kidwell...it looked to me that he was totally surprised by his own strength..:laugh: But anyway...for Mason to come out and say "Do I owe him one?...Yeah I owe him one"....and...that he was going to "get even with with Kidwell for his cheap shot"....Well Mason makes himself look bad...In fact this kinda reminds me when the Kiwi's were talkin big last year about taking Karmichael Hunt out, because he played for Australia...and look what happened :mad:..

Go_The_Doggies
15-10-06, 05:52 PM
i think he was referring to the obstruction ruling...the try that you stated was legit...JUST!
I have no recollection of that..*shakes fist* damn goldfish memory. :mad:

I might watch the replay if its on tomorrow tbh.

Robbie_Dee
15-10-06, 05:55 PM
I have no recollection of that..*shakes fist* damn goldfish memory. :mad:

I might watch the replay if its on tomorrow tbh.yeah it was an australian try...Im not sure but it may have been one of hunts try's in the first half...the video ref ruled that the australian ran behind another player...but clearly there was no obstruction. It was a very poor decision.

Go_The_Doggies
15-10-06, 05:55 PM
I missed the first 10 minutes of the game last night, so I was'nt aware that Mason had used a *four letter word* during the recital of the Haka....You would'nt see players the calibre of Darren Lockyer and the like, act like that...so it that respect Mason he made an ass of himself....I saw the hit-up...and as much as I dislike the Kiwi's.....it was just a good hard hit up..I don't believe there was any malice intended by Kidwell...it looked to me that he was totally surprised by his own strength..:laugh: But anyway...for Mason to come out and say "Do I owe him one?...Yeah I owe him one"....and...that he was going to "get even with with Kidwell for his cheap shot"....Well Mason makes himself look bad...In fact this kinda reminds me when the Kiwi's were talkin big last year about taking Karmichael Hunt out, because he played for Australia...and look what happened :mad:..
Last night I was so angry with Willie.......I liked Karmichael more then what I did Willie.

Personally, I loved the Kidwell hit, and his psyc at him afterwards lol, but every Kiwi did!!..I also think if Mason wants to bring it..he can..I have full faith in my boys that we can give as much as we take!! :)

Robbie_Dee
15-10-06, 06:09 PM
I just saw on the news highlights, it was actually Greg Inglis's try that was disallowed. I looked my hardest and could not find a single element of obstruction in it! :whatd:

Robbie_Dee
15-10-06, 06:18 PM
On the news, the showed Willie mason in the streets today...talk about a black eye!!! it was as black as the kiwi's jersey.

~Wild Child~
15-10-06, 06:22 PM
Last night I was so angry with Willie.......I liked Karmichael more then what I did Willie.

Personally, I loved the Kidwell hit, and his psyc at him afterwards lol, but every Kiwi did!!..I also think if Mason wants to bring it..he can..I have full faith in my boys that we can give as much as we take!! :):)
Bring on game two!...It promises to sort the boys from the men :laugh:..In a way, you gotta love the agro :satan: :D

Go_The_Doggies
15-10-06, 06:40 PM
:)
Bring on game two!...It promises to sort the boys from the men :laugh:..In a way, you gotta love the agro :satan: :D
Ahh I love international footy :D, love my Kiwis. Its totally dominating headlines over here atm!! Lol we all hate Mason atm. But you can't blame us :?)

Poida
15-10-06, 06:42 PM
i loved that kidwell hit on mason.
about time someone put big hit on him

Go_The_Doggies
15-10-06, 06:46 PM
Usually I would get quite angry or annoyed at a Kiwis player who put a massive hit on a Bulldogs player and left them on the ground, but since Willie did what he did..I was glad. *waits to be bashed*

Poida
15-10-06, 06:48 PM
big hits are one thing i love to see as it shows the teams fired up .
but i think australia dominated totally through thurston and smith.
good to see them give smith and thurston kicking duties and not put it all on lockyers shoulders.

Go_The_Doggies
15-10-06, 06:51 PM
The Kiwis are fired up 24/7..*sigh* sometimes too fired up :( Lol I was going nuts last night..mum was gunna send me to my room to watch it..i said "you'd still hear me"

Poida
15-10-06, 06:53 PM
since its league and not cricket im tipping against the aussies cause i do what i want lol

Capital_Shark
15-10-06, 07:31 PM
Well I completely lost the plot yesterday and forgot what time the game was on until my mate called and said the snags were getting cold and it was nearly half time, where the hell was I?

By the time I got a cab over there it was half time and I'd missed Mason cop a shiner apparantly. Due to my late arrival I had to slowly creep into a good spot to view the game as people moved, ended up missing most of the game. Good old foxtel has no replays tomorrow, so who knows when I'll get to see the game.

Robbie_Dee
15-10-06, 08:10 PM
Well I completely lost the plot yesterday and forgot what time the game was on until my mate called and said the snags were getting cold and it was nearly half time, where the hell was I?

By the time I got a cab over there it was half time and I'd missed Mason cop a shiner apparantly. Due to my late arrival I had to slowly creep into a good spot to view the game as people moved, ended up missing most of the game. Good old foxtel has no replays tomorrow, so who knows when I'll get to see the game.All the action was in the first half too. nothing that exciting in the 2nd half. The 1st half there was some great footy being played and a good blue too.

patrick
15-10-06, 09:05 PM
Great game last night, AUSSIES!

Great hit on Willie though by Kidwell! Great biff!
Apparently he wants to get even with him in game 2! *licking lips*
Towards the end of the match when Mason ran the ball up, he didn't run straight very much, possibly looking for Kidwell! :box:
And I hated it when Manu Vatuvei was trying to push Kingy and Locky out of the stadium. I reckon Locky could have been injured if he slid any further.
All of the Kangaroos rookies played really well I think, and good variety in the kicking game with the players.
Don't know about the obstruction for Greg Inglis's try. Great to see him score in his first Test though. :clap:

Grimmace
16-10-06, 01:12 PM
No haka disrespect, just joking
By Willie Mason
Australia star
October 16, 2006

I SUPPOSE everyone wants to know why I swore during the haka before Saturday's Test match in Auckland. I'll tell you why and it has nothing to do with disrespecting New Zealand.

I was actually standing next to Justin Hodges during the haka and I said to him, "Isn't Brent Webb an Aborigine? Look at him. Get f---ed".

It was just funny seeing an Aborigine trying to lead the haka. I think he might have been making the words up. We were just having a joke around together to take the seriousness off the whole thing and use it to pump our boys up.

I certainly wasn't disrespecting the haka or the Maori culture because I think it's one of the highlights of both international rugby league and rugby union matches. I look forward to the Kiwis doing the haka.

It's something that they get really pumped up and emotional on and they really get fired up on it.

It makes us get pumped up as well.

But seriously, what do they expect us to do? Bloody crawl into a hole while they're doing it? We've got to do something. That's why we all stood there to show them how united and tight that we are as a team.

Once again it was just beautiful timing from the television cameras to shoot right on my mouth while I was saying it. I apologise for swearing but it was just a bit of a joke to take the emotion out of how intense they were in the haka.

As for David Kidwell's cheap shot on me, I expect nothing less from him. I didn't even see the bloke coming. I remember running at him a few times but I don't think he hit me as hard as that because they were front on.

The only way he seems to put a good shot on players is if he blindsides people. If he wants to play those games, I don't mind. The thing is, I don't really get a chance to tackle him because he doesn't run in the middle that much.

He usually runs at Darren Lockyer or one of our centres. If he wants to play that way, I might have to ask coach Ricky Stuart to play me in the centres as well.

I'd love to get square with him in the next Test in Melbourne on Saturday night but I'm not going to go out of my way to give a penalty away or do a cheap shot or hurt the bloke intentionally. But I'll certainly be looking for him.

I should be fine to play, despite the nasty bruise under my right eye and concerns over a fractured cheekbone. I'm not looking too good but I'm going to get scans on it today. It's a little bit sore but it looks worse than it is. Our team doctor checked it and pressed all the right places and there didn't seem to be too much pain. It should be all clear and, even if there is a little fracture, that's not going to stop me from playing. It's not going to kill me.

It was a pretty fiery Test and I wasn't impressed by the Kiwis pushing blokes when they are already over the touchline. They're already out, there's no need to push them, it's just being stupid.

If a player goes over and hits a spectator or cuts his knee or something like that, it's stupid. They need to cut that out.

The Kiwis obviously thought we had a young team they could push around but I think this Australian side is probably one of the most balanced that I've played in with. It has youth and experience.

There's has been a changing of the guard, I suppose. We were going through the list the other day with Danny Buderus, Anthony Minichiello, Craig Fitzgibbon, Andrew Johns, Ben Kennedy, and Matt Cooper missing.

There are about 10 blokes who have toured in the past two or three years who are not playing with us at the moment.

We have had to gel really quickly and I think Ricky has done a great job getting us together. We had a really intense week last week but the sessions weren't that long. It was bang, bang and we were finished.

As for getting together off the field I think we had just one beer, because we were bonding in different ways with some of our training and activities out of football.

In previous camps it takes a while to get to know everyone but all the young guys such as Greg Inglis, Sam Thaiday, Karmichael Hunt and Justin Hodges get along well with everyone. It's surprising how quickly we have gelled and how tight we are as a group.

Taking all the drama out of the contest, it was a great game and a great win by us. It was everything a Test match should be - from what I can remember anyway. I watched it again yesterday morning because I can hardly remember the game.

Our boys played really well, there wasn't a bad player on the field. We showed a lot of character, especially coming back after they scored the opening try early in the match.

We didn't get rattled and we were not intimidated by them. We just stuck to our game plan and we knew that at the back end of each half the game would open up. That was Ricky's plan and it worked.

And we know as a forward pack we just have to win the ruck and go forward and the backline will take care of itself. They're in a league of their own. As was shown on Saturday night by Mark Gasnier, Inglis, Justin Hodges, Darren Lockyer and Johnathan Thurston, they can turn something out of nothing. They're unbelievable.

What's even better for us is this was our first hitout and we'll only get better as the tournament progresses.

As a team, we've got a lot of pride and Ricky has been constantly talking about about putting Australia back on top and suggesting when you get that Australian jersey you make it the pinnacle of your career instead of State of Origin and all that kind of stuff.

He really wants us to kick on and we've got the opportunity now to dominate the Tri-Nations leading into the World Cup in 2008. Because at the moment New Zealand is still No.1 because of its Tri-Nations win last year.

We know it won't be a cakewalk. The Kiwis will get better because they'll get a few guys back from England. They're always strong and they're always physical so we've got to watch them.

And they taught us a lesson last year in intensity and how much pride they have in their country and their jersey. I think we've taken a leaf out of their book and are trying to do the same thing this year.

Bearing that in mind, we know things will not get any easier for us next week.

The Kiwis will definitely be looking for revenge and that's why it's such a good feeling winning in New Zealand because their home crowd is such a big advantage for them.

To beat them on their home turf is something we haven't done for a quite a while and we'll take a lot of confidence from that.

It will be good having a home game next week and, hopefully, the Melbourne people will come out to support us.

It's a very sporting town, which was shown this season when they turned out in droves to watch the State of Origin decider. Hopefully, with the AFL finished, they'll come out again to get behind us.

As for the Kiwi threats of retribution next week if I swear during the haka again, I've got a simple solution: put Brent Webb up the back where I can't see him.

SOurce: The Australian

Go_The_Doggies
16-10-06, 01:21 PM
Willie wasnt standing next to Justin Hodges..he was standing in between Bobcat, and I think it was JT.

Also Webby knows all the words of the Haka..makes me very proud whenever I see him play for NZ..:D

Capital_Shark
16-10-06, 02:00 PM
Who cares, Willie. Tell 'em they're a joke while they put on their little talent show. What do they expect, everyone fronts up for a game of footy and they break out the tap shoes ffs. If you're gonna do a dance to 'intimidate' the opposition expect a bit of stick. So much for being warriors, get all cut cause Willie Mason bags their performance. Even if Willie was trying to disrespect the Haka, he was too late, the Kiwis already did it for him, surely, by appointing Webb to lead the bloody thing.

Titanium_BD1103
16-10-06, 02:05 PM
Who cares, Willie. Tell 'em they're a joke while they put on their little talent show. What do they expect, everyone fronts up for a game of footy and they break out the tap shoes ffs. If you're gonna do a dance to 'intimidate' the opposition expect a bit of stick. So much for being warriors, get all cut cause Willie Mason bags their performance. Even if Willie was trying to disrespect the Haka, he was too late, the Kiwis already did it for him, surely, by appointing Webb to lead the bloody thing.

Um CS.. I am happy with you saying that, but lets make one thing clear for everyone... RUBEN WIKI was leading that Haka... he always has for quite a while, he is the proudest most deserving Kiwi to lead it too.. :)

The rest, its your opinion and fair enough for that.

Capital_Shark
16-10-06, 02:14 PM
Well I missed the first half of this game, just going off what Willie said about Webb leading it.

And I'm happy your happy with me saying what I said. :)

Go_The_Doggies
16-10-06, 02:46 PM
TJ is correct. RUBEN lead the Haka, not BRENT WEBB. Just cos Brentus was at the front doesnt mean he was leading it. Willie doesnt know what he is talking about, because also Brent Webb isnt even an Abo..he said himself..hes a Torris Straight Islander, he laughed at Mason. :clap:

Capital_Shark
16-10-06, 02:55 PM
because also Brent Webb isnt even an Abo..he said himself..hes a Torris Straight Islander

Torres Straight Islander? I'd call him Aboriginal before I called him Kiwi.

Grimmace
16-10-06, 02:57 PM
People i have figured out a solution to this.The Aussie players do their own version of the haka and either K.Hunt or Willie leads it

Capital_Shark
16-10-06, 03:15 PM
People i have figured out a solution to this.The Aussie players do their own version of the haka and either K.Hunt or Willie leads it

Why not pay professionals for pre match entertainment and have the players do what they're paid for, to play footy.

Whats next? Brian Carney doing the Riverdance before each match?

Coaster
16-10-06, 03:24 PM
Why not pay professionals for pre match entertainment and have the players do what they're paid for, to play footy.

Whats next? Brian Carney doing the Riverdance before each match?

ROFL

I agree with CS :rotflmao:

Does make me laugh when Version 2 of the Haka, had them slitting the necks of the oppisition, and they jump up and down about Mason.

I watched the game with some Kiwi mates, and all night long they were screaming "shepard shepard"

My misses whispered in my ear, "what is it with these blokes and sheep" :rotflmao:

Go_The_Doggies
16-10-06, 04:28 PM
Oh and if Brad Thorn and Tonie Carrol are in the side they can join in too!!..but tbh Carrol is injured..so he can watch from afar

Go_The_Doggies
16-10-06, 04:31 PM
Torres Straight Islander? I'd call him Aboriginal before I called him Kiwi.
Why can't you people accept he is more passionate about NZ then what he is Australia, the only Aussie thing about him is his accent, parents and birthplace. The rest is all Kiwi, he sings our national anthem, does the Haka with pride, he absolutely loves New Zealand, he has said himself playing for us has been one of the most amazing experiences in his life.

People need to accept his decision and move on. :)

Capital_Shark
16-10-06, 04:37 PM
Why can't you people accept he is more passionate about NZ then what he is Australia

Hey, I've accepted. I never didn't accept. If he wants to be a Kiwi, who am I to argue?

the only Aussie thing about him is his accent, parents and birthplace.

lol well as long as they're the ONLY things.

Grimmace
16-10-06, 04:39 PM
Why can't you people accept he is more passionate about NZ then what he is Australia, the only Aussie thing about him is his accent, parents and birthplace. The rest is all Kiwi, he sings our national anthem, does the Haka with pride, he absolutely loves New Zealand, he has said himself playing for us has been one of the most amazing experiences in his life.

People need to accept his decision and move on. :)
Just like people need to accept the decison about Hunt and Maitua.As they love Australia too.

Go_The_Doggies
16-10-06, 04:39 PM
Im just sick of people going on that Webb isnt a Kiwi etc, if he classes himself a Kiwi then that should be enough for everyone else. He makes me so proud lol :)

Go_The_Doggies
16-10-06, 04:41 PM
Just like people need to accept the decison about Hunt and Maitua.As they love Australia too.
I have accepted it, tbh I accepted it a very long time ago.

I have never said anything about Maitua, he has never been Kiwi never will, while yes I said things about Karmichael, i'm over it, and respect his decision, as long as he doesnt disrespect NZ in anyway everything should be fine. :)

Grimmace
16-10-06, 04:47 PM
I have accepted it, tbh I accepted it a very long time ago.

I have never said anything about Maitua, he has never been Kiwi never will, while yes I said things about Karmichael, i'm over it, and respect his decision, as long as he doesnt disrespect NZ in anyway everything should be fine. :)
I didnt point it at you directly there are still people over in N.Z that are filthy that these two players turned their backs on them but hey where not filthy on Webb and Fien so its only fair.

Go_The_Doggies
16-10-06, 04:53 PM
I didnt point it at you directly there are still people over in N.Z that are filthy that these two players turned their backs on them but hey where not filthy on Webb and Fien so its only fair.
EH we NZ people hold grudges. :lol!:

Poida
16-10-06, 07:00 PM
honestly why do people care so much about the haka.
its good to watch.
its nz tradition so it should be appreciated for what it is