PDA

View Full Version : Help Fight for the Right to watch sport for Free

Titanium_BD1103
04-10-06, 07:23 PM
Yep its a new campaign and it was launched tonight... :)

Basically, under a new claim by the Pay TV networks, they want to force the ACMA to make Free to Air Networks give up anything they cannot broadcast.

I think that is crazy, sure some things don't get broadcasted as well as they should, but TBH, not having pay TV, I don't want to be made to not be able to see the motor racing on Channel 9 on Saturday, aka. the Porsche Cup and the Utes, just because FOX reckons they are not being shown live and in prime time.

I already have to go to mates houses to catch the NBL, A-League and soon some ODI matches as I don't have FOX... and whilst I understand that, I don't want to lose more sports due to this.

I will fight for this.. and for the sake of sport for all, I say everyone else should too, whether you have foxtel or not... but in the end its your choice.

Press Releases from: www.freetvaust.com.au

MEDIA RELEASE
4 October, 2006

The principle of ?use it or lose it? rules not in dispute.

Free TV Australia has dismissed the latest effort by the pay TV industry to undermine the access of all Australians to sport on free-to-air television.

Julie Flynn, CEO of Free TV Australia, said ?today?s media release by the pay TV industry body, ASTRA, saying that a majority of people they polled support the introduction of ?use it or lose it? rules tells us nothing? .

?The principle is not in dispute. The issue is whether or not the rules are applied fairly and accurately so that viewers are not left worse off?.

ASTRA continues to use a set of misleading figures to claim that events are ?hoarded?, even though they know these figures are nonsense.

?As we continue to demonstrate free TV broadcasters show the events that they acquire and everything else is available to pay TV ? and the facts are that they don?t show all the rights to which they have access? Ms. Flynn said.?75% of Australian viewers cannot afford or choose not to pay to watch sport on television. They should not be conned by a campaign which aims to force them to pay for sport they currently see for free?.

?Free TV Australia supports the introduction of ?use it or lose it? rules that look at the impact on viewers of removing events from the list and that take into account acquisition of listed sports by both free-to-air broadcasters and pay TV operators?.

?This is necessary so that the government can identify when rights usage is already being maximised across both platforms, as is the case with virtually all of the sports on the list?.

?Most importantly events that are already being covered should not be removed from the list and the ?use it or lose it? mechanism should not result in free coverage being replaced by paid coverage?.

?The pay TV industry is trying to manipulate the ?use it or lose it? rules as a stalking horse to secure live and exclusive rights to events that viewers currently see for free.

Perhaps ASTRA should have asked people if they would prefer to pay a minium of $50 a month for sport or see it for free? Ms. Flynn said.

For more information on how to ensure that all Australians continue to be able watch sport on television for free please visit www.savemysport.com.au.

For media enquiries, please call Julie Flynn on 02 8968 7100 or 0408 455 456.

MEDIA RELEASE
27th September, 2006
Free TV kicks off savemysport campaign.

Tonight Free TV Australia kicks off a campaign called savemysport to keep sport on television the way Australians want it ? free.

In a series of television commercials that will air from tonight, Australians are being urged to voice their concerns over the attempted hijacking of sport by pay TV. These commercials will be supported by a website, www.savemysport.com.au, that details what viewers will lose if pay TV is successful.

Last year Australian sports fans watched over 1648 hours of sport on free TV.

Events such as the Melbourne Cup, AFL and NRL competitions, Bledisloe Cup, Australian Open Tennis, Wimbledon and V8 Supercars were just some of the sports that Australians watched without charge.

Pay television already broadcasts complementary coverage of many of these events ? but they are desperate to get more exclusive, live rights so they can force the 75% of Australians who aren't subscribers to pay to watch the sports they love.

Free TV CEO, Julie Flynn, says ?Australian sports fans take for granted that they will always be able to see their favourite sporting events on free-to-air television. But that right is under threat as never before.

"Pay TV interests and some big sporting bodies are waging war on the antisiphoning list - a list of major sporting events that both sides of Parliament established to ensure they could not be bought
exclusively by pay TV.

?There is no doubt that what they want to do is force people to pay for sport they currently see for free? Ms. Flynn says.

Grant Blackley, Chair of FTV Australia and CEO of Channel Ten, says "We all know that sport brings Australians together. We shouldn't exclude three out of four Australians from taking part in these great sporting traditions."

David Leckie, CEO of Channel 7, says ?This is a wake up call that the sports Australians love are at risk of being lost to pay TV and experience overseas shows that once they are gone, they don?t come back?.

Eddie McGuire, CEO of Channel 9, says ?We have a proud tradition of showing the best sports for free and we are not about to sit back and see these sports disappear from free-to-air television?.

Channel 7 will commence running the spots this evening, Channels 10 and 9 have confirmed that they will commence airing them on the weekend.

If you wish to join the fight to ensure we as Australian can continue to watch sport for free.. visit here:

http://www.savemysport.com.au/Content_Common/pg-contact-your-local-MP-sms.seo

Grimmace
04-10-06, 07:26 PM
I like the idea however i have foxtel so it doesnt really affect me and im sure all the major sporting codes will be laughing at this idea as theyll have the helps of the state government.

Titanium_BD1103
04-10-06, 07:34 PM
Here's some more info from www.savemysport.com.au

Save my sport campaign

Last year Australian sports fans watched over 1648 hours of sport on free TV.

Events like the Melbourne Cup, AFL and NRL competitions, Bledisloe Cup, Australian Open Tennis, Wimbledon and V8 Supercars were just some of the sports that brought Australia together like nothing else.

Australian sports fans take for granted that they will always be able to see their favourite sporting events on free-to-air television.

But that right is under threat as never before.

Pay TV want exclusive, live rights to sporting events so Australians have to pay to watch sport just as they do in the UK and New Zealand.

And last week three of the major football sporting bodies joined with them in what amounted to a ?gang tackle? on viewers? rights to see the best games for free.

If they win ? Australian viewers will be the big losers.

The focus of the attack is the antisiphoning list - a list of major sporting events the Government established to ensure they could not be bought exclusively by pay TV and that all Australians would have the chance to watch them free of charge.

We think that sport on free TV is too good to lose. And we urge you to let your local Member of Parliament know that you do too! Please follow the links on this site to find out more about the sports that are at risk and what you can do to help save them.

Here is a list of sports that could be lost to Free to Air TV if Pay TV can make the government drop the anti-siphonning laws...

What's at risk?

Sports currently on the antisiphoning list include:

Olympic Games

Commonwealth Games

Horse Racing
Melbourne Cup

Australian Rules Football

Rugby League Football
National Rugby League Premiership competition
National Rugby League State of Origin Series
Each international rugby league ?test? match involving the senior Australian representative team

Rugby Union Football
Rugby World Cup tournament
Each international ?test? match involving the senior Australian representative team

Cricket
World Cup one day cricket
Each ?test? match involving the senior Australian representative team
Each one day cricket match involving the senior Australian representative team
Each one day cricket match involving the senior Australian representative team played as part of a series in which at least one match of the series is played in Australia

Soccer
English Football Association Cup final
FIFA World Cup tournament held in 2006
FIFA World Cup tournament held in 2010

Tennis
Australian Open
Wimbledon
French Open men?s and women?s singles quarter-finals, semi-finals and finals
US Open men?s and women?s singles quarter-finals, semi-finals and finals
Davis Cup all matches in each tie that an Australian representative team is involved

Netball
Each international match involving the senior Australian representative team

Golf
Australian Masters
Australian Open
US Masters
British Open

Motor Sports
Formula 1 World Championship (Grand Prix) held in Australia
Moto GP held in Australia
V8 Supercar Championship Series (including the Bathurst 1000)
Champ Car World Series (IndyCar) held in Australia

It would be a disaster if this was to happen... I love Australia because we can see sport without paying for it, its great and it is our culture... I would hate to see people, who can't afford FOX or who live out in remote areas lose their chance to see these events, I mean I might get FOX soon, but for those who can't they shouldn't be made to miss out.

Darren Lockyer
04-10-06, 07:48 PM
I like the idea however i have foxtel so it doesnt really affect me and im sure all the major sporting codes will be laughing at this idea as theyll have the helps of the state government.
me to

~Wild Child~
04-10-06, 07:51 PM
Here's some more info from www.savemysport.com.au

Here is a list of sports that could be lost to Free to Air TV if Pay TV can make the government drop the anti-siphonning laws...

It would be a disaster if this was to happen... I love Australia because we can see sport without paying for it, its great and it is our culture... I would to see people, who can't afford FOX or who live out in remote areas lose their chance to see these events, I mean I might get FOX soon, but for those who can't they shouldn't be made to miss out.:!:...I can't believe that this is even being considered :!:...And I don't really understand the reasoning behind it either :whatd:

Titanium_BD1103
04-10-06, 07:54 PM
:!:...I can't believe that this is even being considered :!:...And I don't really understand the reasoning behind it either :whatd:

Simple Michel, its about Pay TV getting more money and access to some of the biggest events like the Olympics that ATM they are not allowed near... I mean imagine the dollars you could get if you were forcing people to pay to see classic sporting events like The Ashes, Bathurst and the Olympics... Pay TV would be even richer than it is now.

At the same time, Australian culture would be a lot poorer, Australia is built on sport and our ability to sit around with mates and watch it, for many that would be reduced severely if not destroyed completely if this was to go ahead....

[BroncosGirl]
04-10-06, 08:01 PM
Hmm I have foxtel sooo it doesnt affect me that much! BUT, I dont think we should have to!

Grimmace
04-10-06, 08:02 PM
so TJ what do we have to do to help

Titanium_BD1103
04-10-06, 08:05 PM
so TJ what do we have to do to help

Read the end of the first post Grimmace, click the link and write a message to your local MP, doesn't have to be long... just say how much you want sport to remain on Free TV then click send... that way the Pollies will know the issue at hand and hopefully with the help of the Free TV Australia group, we can do something about it... :)

Shadow XL
04-10-06, 08:21 PM
no sport should be free, just like music ;). But yes it should be free, and now because austar is trying to get more money, the sport package isnt even in the essentials anymore you have to pay more money for it.

~Wild Child~
04-10-06, 08:32 PM
Simple Michel, its about Pay TV getting more money and access to some of the biggest events like the Olympics that ATM they are not allowed near... I mean imagine the dollars you could get if you were forcing people to pay to see classic sporting events like The Ashes, Bathurst and the Olympics... Pay TV would be even richer than it is now.

At the same time, Australian culture would be a lot poorer, Australia is built on sport and our ability to sit around with mates and watch it, for many that would be reduced severely if not destroyed completely if this was to go ahead....So...people who are students, single-parents, pensioners and the like, are going to be further disadvantaged by having to pay to watch a sports programme on tv :!: These people are already having trouble meeting the cost of living...All this is going to achieve...is a decline in our sporting culture. :whatd:

Capital_Shark
04-10-06, 09:53 PM
You just know FOXTEL would even make us current subscribers pay extra to watch this stuff if they got their hands on it off free-to-air. Melbourne Cup, Bathurst 1000 and things like that would become like a boxing match on Main Event, pay $30 to get it turned on and stuff.

The Olympics would end up like FOXTEL had the Commonweath Games coverage, $50 for access to the channels showing it all.

Basically FOXTEL are assholes of the highest order and every cent they don't get makes me happy. Am I the most disgruntled subscriber or what?

~Wild Child~
04-10-06, 10:01 PM
You just know FOXTEL would even make us current subscribers pay extra to watch this stuff if they got their hands on it off free-to-air. Melbourne Cup, Bathurst 1000 and things like that would become like a boxing match on Main Event, pay $30 to get it turned on and stuff.

The Olympics would end up like FOXTEL had the Commonweath Games coverage, $50 for access to the channels showing it all.

Basically FOXTEL are s of the highest order and every cent they don't get makes me happy. Am I the most disgruntled subscriber or what?:!:$30 to watch the Melbourne Cup ??? :nope: Thats almost more expensive then going to the racegrounds to watch it...:nope:

Capital_Shark
04-10-06, 10:08 PM
:!:$30 to watch the Melbourne Cup ??? :nope: Thats almost more expensive then going to the racegrounds to watch it...:nope:

lol yeah maybe not the Cup, but Bathurst weekend they'd milk for all they could get. I don't reckon the Cup would be free of some sort of extra charge though.

~Wild Child~
04-10-06, 10:13 PM
lol yeah maybe not the Cup, but Bathurst weekend they'd milk for all they could get. I don't reckon the Cup would be free of some sort of extra charge though.:!: I hope this idea disappears as quickly...as it was thought up...:whatd:

Capital_Shark
04-10-06, 10:17 PM
What you don't think FOXTEL would make them pay per view events?

~Wild Child~
04-10-06, 10:50 PM
What you don't think FOXTEL would make them pay per view events?It's just that...how greedy do they want to get...how many people do they want to disadvantage :')..I have Foxtel..but alot of people i know dont...Alot of families wont be able to afford to show their children a game of football...or even the Olympics...thats just sad :(

Capital_Shark
04-10-06, 11:13 PM
It's just that...how greedy do they want to get...how many people do they want to disadvantage :')..I have Foxtel..but alot of people i know dont...Alot of families wont be able to afford to show their children a game of football...or even the Olympics...thats just sad :(

I understand completely what your saying, its a disgrace how greedy these dogs are, and unfortunately I don't see them easing up.

Hopefully sanity prevails and FOX doesn't get its hands on the free to air sporting events.

zacaroo
04-10-06, 11:16 PM
i say yes but thats becoz we pay for foxtel digital on 2 different tvs and now they have 10 or so sport channels now...plus nine and ten and those..

BrisbaneBroncosRule
05-10-06, 10:18 AM
I have foxtel, but we shouldnt have to pay

zacaroo
05-10-06, 05:48 PM
pay per view boxing is usually $50
wrestling $25-$30

and thats all that is really sport that u have to pay EXTRA on top of the foxtel bill for if u buy it..

Capital_Shark
05-10-06, 06:04 PM
pay per view boxing is usually $50
wrestling $25-$30

and thats all that is really sport that u have to pay EXTRA on top of the foxtel bill for if u buy it..

Yeah but I'm talking about if FOXTEL had the Bathurst weekend or Olympics, they would most like make that a pay per view event, like they do with boxing and wrestling. Not to get wrestling mistaken with sport though.

Enzo
05-10-06, 06:27 PM
Not alot of the Free-2-Air sport is worth saving. You get it all on Foxtel anyway.

At least that way most games televised on everyones TV would be live.

Titanium_BD1103
09-10-06, 05:11 PM
Yes but as we are all starting to realise, it means many miss out, is that fair, the rich get to see the sport, and the rest get nothing.

I mean we are seeing as is posted in the thread in the sports forum, only International Cricket will be on FTA, so that means that all those including myself who don't have pay don't get to see The Ford Ranger Cup which has been a great sporting spectacle for Channel 9 for a long time.. its not really fair on the majority IMO.

Grimmace
09-10-06, 05:13 PM
Well in a good sighn the NBL has cdome back to FTA even though its not a major sport in Australia people can still see a hightlights package on CH9 although as i said this is the tip of the iceberg as a lot of companies would rather have their sports on foxtel which IMO is murder to the sporting public.

Titanium_BD1103
09-10-06, 05:15 PM
Well in a good sighn the NBL has cdome back to FTA even though its not a major sport in Australia people can still see a hightlights package on CH9 although as i said this is the tip of the iceberg as a lot of companies would rather have their sports on foxtel which IMO is murder to the sporting public.

Yes I saw that, and I am looking forward to watching it if I am at home.. I love my West Sydney side and to be able to see them, even if they are losing like there is no tomorrow ATM, is good to see... :D :D

Congrats to the NBL for bringing the game back to the fans, keep it up and people will return to the courts... :)

hugebrianfan
09-10-06, 06:00 PM
yes i have to agree sport should be free and i mean all sport!!! I got told that we are losing a sporta year to foxtel and austar!!! what happensif all sport is given topay tv??i love my sport and i'd hate to see nothing but allthose Drama stuf on tv!!tv wouldnt be the same!!BRING BACK THE SPORT!!

Hoppy2007Dragons
09-10-06, 06:29 PM
Sanity should prevail and sport will be free for all to watch, my tv will be going out the window if free sport is taken away, i'll start exercising instead.