PDA

View Full Version : where will the titans finish in 2007?

Twister
05-07-06, 09:28 AM
Does anyone think that the Titans will be contenders in their inaugural year?

I reckon with the signings they've got they'll have the ability to make top 8 at a minimum.

What you think?

Titanium_BD1103
05-07-06, 09:30 AM
Sadly I think they will just miss out on the Top 8 to be perfectly honest. The reason is that even with a team of stars and hardworkers that the Titans have, it will take several rounds to gel and get a combination... and even then longer for partnerships to full combine and harness that ability and potency.

You've got to remember that the current top 8 sides have combinations that will grow and prosper this season and make them even more dangerous next season... such as...

Dragons: Gasnier, Head, Hornby, Young etc.
Bulldogs: Mason, O'Meley, SBW, Ryan, Holdsworth, Sherwin
Storm: Cronk, Slater, Smith, Hoffman etc.
Sharks: Kimmorley, Thompson, Ross, Covell etc.
Broncos: Lockyer, Hunt, Ennis, Berrigan, Parker

There were many new combinations made in season 2006 that are starting to gel now and will be stronger, bar injury in 2007... making 2007 to me a very close and tight comp once more.

I am saying 9th-10th for now, but if we have a close comp and the Titans can stay close to the 8th team, anything could happen late in season 2007... ;)

EDIT: Yep Teegy I think we do also.. but hey I am happy to answer anyway... :)

Teegy
05-07-06, 09:32 AM
im sure theirs already threads about this but.

the signings as a name are top 8 yes. but you have to take into account how the team manages to work together. hopefully they can get the combos playing well in the first few rounds and show the NRL that GC is going to succeed

lonegull
05-07-06, 10:09 AM
I would like to think they can make the top 8 but being a new club the depth factor worries me if the titans get a few injuries to key players i worry about the depth the club will have i know the plan from management is a three year plan for the club to make the semis but bull bailey has come out and said he thinks the titans can make it in the first year so i hope he is right

Steve Dangerous
05-07-06, 06:24 PM
i'm hoping we'll be in the running for the bottom end of the 8.

Kallan
06-07-06, 12:03 AM
It doesn't matter if the titans don't make the finals in their first few years, of course they can... But it may take this new team time to gel together. Go titans!!!

Titan_Matchu
06-07-06, 01:14 AM
I cannot see them winning a lot of their first few matches but I think that as the season goes on they will start to form chemistry in the team and will become a force to be reckoned with. Go the Titans!

novacastrian_panther
06-07-06, 08:45 AM
I'm not sure if the Prince/Campbell/Friend/(Whoever is gonna be starting lock) is going to work.

Eel 33
06-07-06, 08:47 AM
Bottom half of the 8 or just missing, as long as the wooden spoon doesn't come into calculations.

Dakink
06-07-06, 10:04 AM
I'm not sure if the Prince/Campbell/Friend/(Whoever is gonna be starting lock) is going to work.

Prince and Campbell I have no worries about - Prince is the organiser and Campbell will only be required to play his current game.

Lock will sort it self out!!!

O'Dwyer will be the starter?

TITANS007
09-07-06, 05:28 PM
Absolutely they will be tough contenders. Just look at the signings already, top team IMO. Top 8 first year my prediction :beer:

shavenjas
09-07-06, 06:29 PM
As long as Souths don't finish ahead of the Titans, that will be a pretty good indercation of how our inaugural season goes. but i don't think they will make the 8 in think 10 or 11th.

Super Cronk
09-07-06, 06:32 PM
Absolutely they will be tough contenders. Just look at the signings already, top team IMO. Top 8 first year my prediction :beer:

I agree ....but a team of great players doesnt always mean the team is going to go well.

I think in this case tho...they have a very good team of youngsters and also up and comers along with some smart mature minded rugby league players. On top of that they have an awesome coaching staff who want to succeed and are commited to the Gold Caost and are commited to making it work...thats why i think they will make the 8.

Just Another Member
09-07-06, 06:46 PM
I agree ....but a team of great players doesnt always mean the team is going to go well.

e.g. NSW

I think they will do well for a start up team. Some where near 8th.

Souths'n'Titans
10-07-06, 02:20 PM
I think they will struggle because of lack of depth and cohesion, lucky not to take out the wooden spoon, prove me wrong boys!

Social Loafer
10-07-06, 03:12 PM
I think they will finish around 9th or 10th. The players have never played as a team before so thst is going take time to build, while every other club will be just trying to gel with a few new additions, the titans will have a whole squad to do it with, and they will be playing 20+ games together, so consistency with a new team will be the hardest thing.

Darren Lockyer
10-07-06, 04:31 PM
It is going to be hard. Look at the Western Force in the super 14 competition they had a great team but they are taking time to mould together as a team.

Diehard Titan Fan
20-07-06, 12:13 PM
Let's put this one in perspective.

Best Gold Coast finish: Equal 5th (1997)

Second best Gold Coast finish: 13th (1988 and 1989)

11-12th would help confirm that we have a serious football team, this time around.

Rabz
21-07-06, 07:17 PM
Certainly a competitive first 17. Like others I wonder about your ability to sustain injuries to key positions.

Good on you for using Souths as your barometer. Next years Souths will not resemble the rabble of this year so good luck with that one.

Interesting to see which teams you all think you will finish above next year.

16 teams in - if you think you finish top 8 who finishes lower?

No doubt you have Souths in your sights but who else

9th ..
10th..
11th..
12th..
13th..
14th..
15th..
16th..

[BroncosGirl]
21-07-06, 07:52 PM
Hmm thats a tough job to ask them realistically.
I know they have the talent and managment, but they still have some youngins in there and new combos to sort out.

They might peak too late? I think they can make the 8, but they'll still have a lot of sorting and organising to do.

Souths'n'Titans
21-07-06, 08:25 PM
As long as Souths don't finish ahead of the Titans, that will be a pretty good indercation of how our inaugural season goes. but i don't think they will make the 8 in think 10 or 11th.
What is wrong with the most successful club in the history of Australian Rugby League winning?

Queenslander
21-07-06, 08:37 PM
What is wrong with the most successful club in the history of Australian Rugby League winning?

Whats wrong?!? Its the fact that they cant seem to win many games ;) I count one so far against the "Baby Broncos"

Dragons
21-07-06, 09:21 PM
Well you are on the ball, or your playing with y..rs.

Rabz
22-07-06, 07:13 AM
Whats wrong?!? Its the fact that they cant seem to win many games ;) I count one so far against the "Baby Broncos"

Yep. Get stuck in while you can. I look forward to a successful Gold Coast team too one day.

Not sure the Gold Coast record is much to stand on. Both clubs will be looking to turn around a very unfortunate recent past.

Good Luck.

Souths'n'Titans
22-07-06, 07:15 PM
Just wait til next year when we steamroll the Titans

Darren Lockyer
23-07-06, 10:31 AM
Just wait til next year when we steamroll the Titans
You just wait and see. We'll knock you back on the plane to sydney

Souths'n'Titans
23-07-06, 12:44 PM
You just wait and see. We'll knock you back on the plane to sydney
I'm pretty sure Asotasi will break through a Mark Minichiello half attempt at tackling and be left one on one with Steve Who? Oh Turner, and bump him off, TRY

Darren Lockyer
23-07-06, 02:07 PM
Wait till a Luke Bailey puts an Asotasi on his back and in hospital because the weak new zealander needs scans on a bruised back.

Souths'n'Titans
25-07-06, 06:05 PM
Wait till a Luke Bailey puts an Asotasi on his back and in hospital because the weak new zealander needs scans on a bruised back.
Good try mate. Asotasi is twice the player Bailey is, but good effort though

Presto Magic
26-07-06, 09:14 AM
I reckpon Asotasi will be either suspended or injured for the Titans game.

Dakink
26-07-06, 11:33 AM
Good try mate. Asotasi is twice the player Bailey is, but good effort though

LOL

Nice effort - give me Bailey any day over Asotasi.

Souths'n'Titans
26-07-06, 01:10 PM
Are you kidding me? When Bulldogs played Dragoons last time did you watch Roy rip up Baileys boys.

And about your new recruit Henderson, he got floored by Asotasi

Next?

Titanium_BD1103
26-07-06, 02:00 PM
LOL

Nice effort - give me Bailey any day over Asotasi.

LOL give me Asotasi any day over Bailey... :)

Bailey is capable Dakink and very strong, tough and rugged...

Roy though wins you games, he can pass, kick, draw defense, make decoys, and now has a nifty sidestep to boot.... I would pick Roy as my first frontrower anyday of the week.... enjoy it Souths, he should prove mighty useful in the next 5 years... just make sure you are there to support him... ;)

Darren Lockyer
26-07-06, 02:42 PM
LOL give me Asotasi any day over Bailey... :)

Bailey is capable Dakink and very strong, tough and rugged...

Roy though wins you games, he can pass, kick, draw defense, make decoys, and now has a nifty sidestep to boot.... I would pick Roy as my first frontrower anyday of the week.... enjoy it Souths, he should prove mighty useful in the next 5 years... just make sure you are there to support him... ;)
That's why if you were a coach you would suck. Bailey is a much better player.

Titanium_BD1103
26-07-06, 02:44 PM
That's why if you were a coach you would suck. Bailey is a much better player.

But I would never be a coach... I'd leave that to the professionals... and I reckon Asotasi is the better player... GO ASO GO... :)

Darren Lockyer
26-07-06, 02:45 PM
But I would never be a coach... I'd leave that to the professionals... and I reckon Asotasi is the better player... GO ASO GO... :)
and the pros would choose Bailey over asotasi.

Crushers
26-07-06, 03:50 PM
and the pros would choose Bailey over asotasi.
And you know this how? You are full of crap like this, 'my titans team is the most accurate'. Speak for yourself mate.

Titanium_BD1103
26-07-06, 03:53 PM
And you know this how? You are full of crap like this, 'my titans team is the most accurate'. Speak for yourself mate.

Crushers... there's an old saying, never get into an arguement with an idiot, you can never win... I take that advice very wisely... hence I won't get into the arguement... :)

Crushers
26-07-06, 04:01 PM
Crushers... there's an old saying, never get into an arguement with an idiot, you can never win... I take that advice very wisely... hence I won't get into the arguement... :)
Words of a wise man... I'll take them.

titansroostersfan
26-07-06, 08:49 PM
SO far so good, good buys etc but look i see it this way the crushers yes i'll bring up the past they had the names on paper but at the end of the day the team did'nt perform.

So in 2007 what are we going to expect- we have top players coming but i think it will take a year for the players to bond as one and become a team.

With our support i'm sure they will perfom well.

Go titans 2007

JPC- Titans Sponsored!
04-10-06, 11:21 AM
where will it be- 1st or last or in between- personally in think top 8 is good

Titanium_BD1103
04-10-06, 11:26 AM
Already posted... :)

http://www.titans.com.au//forum/showthread.php?t=4476&highlight=Titans+Finish

JPC- Titans Sponsored!
04-10-06, 12:21 PM
well, who cares, have another go hey...

Titanium_BD1103
04-10-06, 01:26 PM
9th JPC is my answer.

It will take a while for the combinations to gel and whilst I reckon the GC can have a great first season, I reckon that Souths will make the 8 and the Warriors and some of the clubs in the 8 this year will only get better... so yes just outside the 8, which is a great result in the first season.

PROMETHEUS
04-10-06, 01:38 PM
Broncos made the 8 in their first year,why the hell not the Titans? :satan:

dean
04-10-06, 04:54 PM
I rate Bailey as one of the best and toughest in the business. However in the big hit stakes i'd put every cent on Rampaging Roy over The Bull Bailey anyday. Sorry mate,No bruised back, No hospital, No contest!!!

Darren Lockyer
04-10-06, 04:57 PM
i think around 5th

jake86
05-10-06, 11:36 PM
I tip that they will squeeze into the finals in 8th position...and anything can happen in the finals! :win:

I think mid table is a very realistic goal

Poida
05-10-06, 11:41 PM
Broncos made the 8 in their first year,why the hell not the Titans? :satan:
broncos are a different team to the titans lol.
also those stats dont mean anything.
the cowboys didnt make the 8 their first year, in fact got the wooden spoon so if u wanna use stats to predict their 8. the spoon is possible

Grimmace
06-10-06, 06:54 AM
I dont know why i just get this feeling that the titans are either going to finish 9th or 10th which is a great acomplishment in their first year.Titans should be very proud of that acheivement.

hugebrianfan
09-10-06, 07:52 PM
i love heaps of the new gold coast titan players(especially Brian Carney) he was good when he played for newcastle knights!! if they have a really good year they might!!but people think that because the titans are a new team then they'd have to work as a team and work out different things...if everything goes to plan than they'd have an alright chance...well they wont come last!!! GO THE TITANS!!!

~TheMightyWarriors~
09-10-06, 08:42 PM
i voted 3rd

Boofhead
09-10-06, 09:05 PM
The top 8 will definately have these clubs imo:

Broncos
Bulldogs
Dragons
Storm
Knights

The other 3 are up for grabs. :emp: :emp:

Q Dave
09-10-06, 10:33 PM
Well Id like to think the titans could manage between 12th and 7th in their first year's outing.

The backs are the cats whiskers when you look at them, they have extreme strike power. Very few sides can match them on paper.

Its the forwards I worry about.

As to the secondary debate, Willie Mason reckons Asotasi could tear him apart, O'Meley says he steps like Gasnier, Andrew Johns considers him as the games best prop and Graham Hughes rates him as one of the best five players in the comp full stop.

I daresay these guys know the game pretty well.

So on that basis, and with respect, I couldnt see Bailey troubling Roy very much.

Even the Souths of 06 showed up the feared panther pack, so theres a smidgeon of depth around the new look rabbitohs.

I expect that they cannot but shock and awe this year under a united and extremely professional management. Its been a long time, they deserve it.

But its not an essential comparison this Roy/Luke thing!!

The titans are dressed to impress and make a big impact on the NRL so lets extend to them the hand of friendship and wish them the very best of seasons in all respects.

Lets hope no player is seriously injured so we get to see the best the game has to offer from all the clubs.

Welcome to the NRL Titans and may your stay be as long, happy and successful as the South Sydney Rabbitohs (the pride of the league).

Poida
09-10-06, 10:44 PM
imo if they somehow were minor premiers i dont think theyd win the premiership.
last few years the minor premiers havent gone all the way.
this year storm, last year eels, 2004 roosters.

PROMETHEUS
10-10-06, 09:12 AM
The last minor premiers to win the Big One was Penrith 2003 :win:

Q Dave
10-10-06, 10:09 AM
The last minor premiers to win the Big One was Penrith 2003 :win:

The greatest grand final ever played and one of the bravest win's ever I might add.

Poida
10-10-06, 10:13 AM
exactly but thats years ago.
minor premiers havent won a premiership since then.

SuperCliffy#01
10-10-06, 02:04 PM
Top eight is possible.cya. :clap:

BrisbaneBroncosRule
11-10-06, 08:29 AM
I voted 5th, but i think they will finish between 5th and 9th.

Robbie_Dee
11-10-06, 03:05 PM
I'm not expecting anything great of the titans in the first year, if they make the 8 great, but id be happy if they didnt get the wooden spoon :clap:

PUP*23
11-10-06, 04:12 PM
It is going to be a tough battle, but i reckon with the experienced players that we have signed up, if they work as a team and play their best then we arre in contention for the top 8. Just finishing in the top 8 would be an amazing accomplishment for a debut team. All the best Titans.

W.I.L.T
13-10-06, 08:25 PM
11th is looking pretty good. I don't think the forward pack has enough in it to get a top 8 spot.

Pale Ale Panther
14-10-06, 08:15 PM
will miss the 8 first year in, but could be the 2nd Qld team to win the GF, being i think the Cows will return to the bottem of the ladder that dosen't mean the'll win it in 08 ! :hi:

Robbie_Dee
14-10-06, 08:19 PM
i think the Cows will return to the bottem of the ladder why do you think this? any reason?

Pale Ale Panther
14-10-06, 08:49 PM
why do you think this? any reason?

first of all i wouldn't want the cows to finish last, i just think they will, all the rumors we here about the in fighting is true, there forward strength will not allow JT to play like he did tonight, Bowen, Thurston, and O'Donnell need some help, the recuitment of Smith will only pay off if they can get him to stay on as an assistant to Murray, if you line them up against every 07 NRL team the best thing they have going for them is there home ground, and if you are depending on a home ground as your best weapon then ? your backs are Bowen and Thurston, Ty is great when fit and injury free, i likened him to Steve Renouff a year ago but now ????????? Jason Smith will give you a 2nd option to Thurston but can't win you games ! the forwards are the problem, O'Donnell is great but after that ? Webb hasn't been the same since Paul Rah departed ? it will get worse before it gets better ? and you got Minto ? :whatd: :whatd: :whatd: :whatd: :whatd: :whatd: :whatd: :whatd:

do what i said and line up the 07 teams and tell me i'm wrong ? thats all i'm going on, i'd be happy to see Newcastle under Brian Smith finish last or the Stuart Sharks, but at this stage i'll have to tip the Cows.....Sorry about that, would have offended someone no matter what ? but feel free to bookmark this and give it to me next year, i'll eat my share of humble pie !!!!!!!!!

Robbie_Dee
14-10-06, 09:01 PM
feel free to bookmark this and give it to me next year, i'll eat my share of humble pie !!!!!!!!!LOL! i'd already done that when i got half way through it lol, jokes.

there foward pack isnt the best but still is farely good. Webb, O'donnel, Tronc, southern...they all pack a punch and can get the job done. but as you said, They have miss rauhihi. He truely was a great foward. and as for Minto...shove him in the young guns...why cowboys would sign him i dont know! I reckon recruiting Justin smith was a great move, it will remove the work load off thurston and bowen tromendously.

I have to disagree, i think that cowboys will go great next season.

Pale Ale Panther
14-10-06, 09:04 PM
LOL! i'd already done that when i got half way through it lol, jokes.

there foward pack isnt the best but still is farely good. Webb, O'donnel, Tronc, southern...they all pack a punch and can get the job done. but as you said, They have miss rauhihi. He truely was a great foward. and as for Minto...shove him in the young guns...why cowboys would sign him i dont know! I reckon recruiting Justin smith was a great move, it will remove the work load off thurston and bowen tromendously.

I have to disagree, i think that cowboys will go great next season.

and all the best to you :) and don't expect to see Southern there next year,

davo
15-10-06, 07:34 AM
RECKON THEY GET IN THE TOP 8 AT LEAST ALTHOUGH VOTED 6 POSITION,GOT TO BE PSITIVE. CERTAINLY HAVE THE TALENT. :box:

Nathalie
15-10-06, 11:39 AM
I honestly think that they have a good of getting very high up in the comp, possibly making it to the Grand or Semi Finals.

I'm not sure if it's been done in League before, but I do know that it's been done in other sports (a brand new team making it to the Grand Final).

Well let's just hope they do the best they can. That's good enough for me :D

That and a new car. :D

PROMETHEUS
15-10-06, 10:05 PM
first of all i wouldn't want the cows to finish last, i just think they will, all the rumors we here about the in fighting is true, there forward strength will not allow JT to play like he did tonight, Bowen, Thurston, and O'Donnell need some help, the recuitment of Smith will only pay off if they can get him to stay on as an assistant to Murray, if you line them up against every 07 NRL team the best thing they have going for them is there home ground, and if you are depending on a home ground as your best weapon then ? your backs are Bowen and Thurston, Ty is great when fit and injury free, i likened him to Steve Renouff a year ago but now ????????? Jason Smith will give you a 2nd option to Thurston but can't win you games ! the forwards are the problem, O'Donnell is great but after that ? Webb hasn't been the same since Paul Rah departed ? it will get worse before it gets better ? and you got Minto ? :whatd: :whatd: :whatd: :whatd: :whatd: :whatd: :whatd: :whatd:

do what i said and line up the 07 teams and tell me i'm wrong ? thats all i'm going on, i'd be happy to see Newcastle under Brian Smith finish last or the Stuart Sharks, but at this stage i'll have to tip the Cows.....Sorry about that, would have offended someone no matter what ? but feel free to bookmark this and give it to me next year, i'll eat my share of humble pie !!!!!!!!!
At least the Cowboys have recruited someone of note...unlike the panfers :emp:

Pale Ale Panther
16-10-06, 08:15 AM
At least the Cowboys have recruited someone of note...unlike the panfers :emp:

so Who is this player of note you talk about ? Mr Smith for 1 year then straight onto the pension, or the "MINTO" ? like i have said before to you, we have allready signed the best 19 year olds in the comp not just 1 of them, 17 of them, Nathan Smith from the Raiders, who has as much note as MINTO, add that to our 4 rep players in the backline, and our 5 international forward, and i'll be happy to go into 07 with that !

i know the Panthers are your 2nd team Promite, there will be plenty of room for you on the band wagon next year ! :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :noidea: :rolleyes:

PROMETHEUS
16-10-06, 01:29 PM
Is that the nathan smith who has been out injured for nearly two years?
Four internationals in the backline hey...when was the last time any of 'em apart from gower played for australia? :rotflmao:

Pale Ale Panther
16-10-06, 02:32 PM
Is that the nathan smith who has been out injured for nearly two years?
Four internationals in the backline hey...when was the last time any of 'em apart from gower played for australia? :rotflmao:

Yep it's that Nathan Smith, even though he has been out for a while and only played a few games in PL his for is still km's ahead of the MINTO ! and if you have a look i did say Rep players in the backline, so do you have a time limit on being an international player ? if you do Wally lewis can only call himself a Valleys 1st grader !

W.I.L.T
16-10-06, 04:42 PM
Panthers signed Peewee Moke. :p

Pale Ale Panther
16-10-06, 06:15 PM
Panthers signed Peewee Moke. :p

yes, am aware of the Moke in the carpark, just thought alot of people wouldn't have herd of him so left him out.......and didn't want to give Promite any more ammo than he has...... :hi: :hi: :laugh:

PROMETHEUS
16-10-06, 06:20 PM
:rotflmao: This would be moke's third club wouldnt it?
Never cracked it for first grade at his other clubs,so should be a walk up start for first grade at penriff :rotflmao:

Pale Ale Panther
16-10-06, 06:24 PM
:rotflmao: This would be moke's third club wouldnt it?
Never cracked it for first grade at his other clubs,so should be a walk up start for first grade at penriff :rotflmao:

told you Wesseristilllovethee, cannon fodder. i'll give you this one Promite, he is untested, but alot of the other guys have big wraps on him, i still have a couple of ?'s over him but he is here now (in Penrith) so its wait and see........

PROMETHEUS
16-10-06, 06:28 PM
Hopefully (for penriff) he doesnt become another amos roberts/paul whaturia and become a star and leave after one year because management refuse to upgrade him :ok:

Pale Ale Panther
16-10-06, 06:35 PM
Hopefully (for penriff) he doesnt become another amos roberts/paul whaturia and become a star and leave after one year because management refuse to upgrade him :ok:

I'll agree with Fatz, we should have done all we could have to keep him, Roberts came to us with no club, we give him a go, turned his game around, but couldn't match the Chooks $'s but he could have re-paid the lifeline we gave him by hanging around ? but he left and we have Flash so all is good ?

what name did you or do you use on the Panthers forum ? don't have to let on if you don't want to ? i know all the Rob drama's. we've been there !

PROMETHEUS
16-10-06, 06:54 PM
I used to be BLACKDEATH but had enough of Rob and never went back :box:

Pale Ale Panther
16-10-06, 07:01 PM
I used to be BLACKDEATH but had enough of Rob and never went back :box:

fair enough !

MonaroMan
16-10-06, 09:03 PM
Anywhere between and including 9 and 11.

zacaroo
17-10-06, 05:58 AM
i think about 14th..

*SaLaw*
18-10-06, 08:34 AM
It'll depend a lot on the luck of the draw as to how our season kicks off but with the talent available, I believe we'll be able to win two thirds of our matches up until SOO time.

We'll lose a few of our playmakers to the rep sides and won't win a game through this period putting us just out of the eight.

We'll then regroup and finish the year strongly to be sixth in the Minor Premiership.

We'll then play the third placed team in the McIntyre System and anything can happen in the Finals.

Have faith my fellow Legionnaires.

(By the way, has it been decided yet that we are going to be Legionnaires collectively?) :clap:

Poida
24-10-06, 11:44 PM
im actually more optimistic of gold coast to finish in the 8.
i reckon 7th