PDA

View Full Version : Broncos utility cops driving ban

Grimmace
29-09-06, 05:42 PM
Broncos utility cops driving ban
Friday, September 29, 2006 - 5:26 PM

Brotherly love has cost Brisbane Broncos utility Greg Eastwood another $400 and two years of driving.

Eastwood, 19, pleaded guilty in Beenleigh Magistrates Court, south of Brisbane, to a charge of driving while disqualified.

Eastwood lost his licence earlier this year over seven driving offences in December-January, which the footballer told the court had been committed by his elder brother, Shane.

"I shouldn't have really taken the blame for him in the start," Eastwood said outside court.

"I'm just going to have to take the punishment."

After his earlier disqualification, police stopped the New Zealander twice while driving, on the Logan Motorway on April 11, and on Chambers Flat Rd in the Brisbane suburb of Marsden on April 23.

He was fined $350 over the April 11 offence.

Following the second offence, Magistrate Joan White told Eastwood: "The sad thing is that you are going to lose your licence for a period of two years because that's the mandatory term".

The Broncos sacked utility Neville Costigan and halfback Brett Seymour for alcohol-related offences this year, but Eastwood said he had the support of coach Wayne Bennett and chief executive Bruno Cullen.

"I told them the story and they're fine with it. They're backing me," said Eastwood, who lives in central Brisbane.

He said it was an humiliating episode that he wanted to put behind him.

"It is a bit embarrassing, especially having your friends come up to you and giving you s**t," he said.

"I feel for the club. Hopefully Queensland Transport will continue their sponsorship (of the Broncos).

"It's lucky I'm not in the same category as (Neville) Costigan. I just have to move on."

He added: "I only live around the corner from training so plenty of the boys can pick me up.

"It won't affect my footy."

Eastwood missed the cut for Brisbane's grand final squad but he will be in Sydney on Sunday night to cheer his team against favourite Melbourne in the NRL decider at Telstra Stadium.

The centre/back-rower said he was confident of making New Zealand's squad for this year's Tri Nations series against Australia and Great Britain.

Source: AAP

[BroncosGirl]
29-09-06, 05:45 PM
Wait, didnt this just happen not long ago? This is a different situation!
Gees Greg! Stupid really. But not as serious as others ;)

Hoppy2007Dragons
29-09-06, 07:25 PM
Does the Broncos Managment have any consitency, this seems the same as the other 2 incidents. ?????????????????????????????????

Pale Ale Panther
29-09-06, 07:32 PM
Does the Broncos Managment have any consitency, this seems the same as the other 2 incidents. ?????????????????????????????????

one difference, they want to keep Eastwood, the other two were surplus to next year and a good way to offload two fringe players and give the sal cap a bit of room to move, Eastwood is a bit more of a talent, so slap on the wrist for him !

[BroncosGirl]
29-09-06, 07:36 PM
There might be more behind the Costigan Seymour thing then we know.

Eastwoods is not as severe.
Stupid though.

Pale Ale Panther
29-09-06, 07:45 PM
true there might be more to the other two, but the way Wayne went on about players doing the right thing and being roll models ect ect, i thought if Berro drove out the car park at Red hill too fast he'd be sacked, and to now see this, makes you wonder ?

Social Loafer
29-09-06, 10:20 PM
Canberra's next signing?

We could use a centre....

Dummy Half
29-09-06, 11:13 PM
i dont understand fully
could someone clear this up for me?

did he do them all?
or did his brother do it and he took the blame?
whats the situation?
-

Grimmace
30-09-06, 09:14 AM
I think he took the blame for it

dean
30-09-06, 01:42 PM
Eastwood means too much to the Broncos.After a few unsavoury player incidents in the past, both the Broncos management and Wayne Bennett have publically stated that this sort of behaviour would not be tolerated.Any player breaching club policy regarding player behaviour would be shown the door.Garbage,Eastwood is too valuable to the Broncs, watch them sweep this under the carpet.

[BroncosGirl]
30-09-06, 01:57 PM
Canberra's next signing?

We could use a centre....

You're not touching Eastwood :p