PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast to host Red trials

Grimmace
25-09-06, 07:00 AM
Coast to host Reds trials
Luke Turgeon

25Sep06

THE Queensland Reds will play two pre-season trial matches at Carrara next year in an attempt to secure rugby union a slice of the increasingly competitive Gold Coast sporting scene.

The Reds will take the field at Gold Coast Stadium against Samoa on January 20 before a highly-anticipated Australia Day clash with New Zealand Super 14 rivals the Highlanders on January 26.

Queensland Rugby Union commercial manager Tony Han**** denied the plan to hold the trial matches on the Gold Coast was a direct move to combat the growing presence of the National Rugby League and Australia Football League, but said they would provide valuable insight into the popularity of rugby union in the region.

"It is the sixth largest city in Australia, you have the people there so how much support there is for the code down there will be an interesting thing from the trials," said Han****.

"It wasn't the intention (to use it as a litmus test) but it is something we won't be able to hide from if the crowd comes out in flocks.

"We have actually been dealing with Rugby Gold Coast for six months on this. It is a great opportunity for us now to take the Reds out to a regional area."

The Reds last played a trial match on the Coast in 2003, losing to Auckland Blues 38-14.

Although the match was held on a Tuesday night it still drew 8000.

The Australian Rugby Union unveiled plans last week to hold a history-making Wallabies Test match on the Coast once the 25,000seat Robina stadium home of the Gold Coast Titans NRL side is completed in 2008.

Gold Coast rugby officials were recently left feeling short-changed after the QRU decided to base both new Queensland National Rugby Competition sides out of Ballymore.

QRU chief executive Ken Freer said the decision to bring two Reds matches to the Coast was not an attempt to make up for the region missing out on its own NRC team.

But he said a positive reaction to the trial matches would go a long way in pushing the Gold Coast's case to house one of the NRC sides in the future.

"I think it would definitely help," he said.

"We are charged with building rugby throughout Queensland and I think it is important to move it into new areas.

"And obviously the Gold Coast is competitively a priority."

Reds coach Eddie Jones said: "We are really looking forward to playing the two games down the Coast.

"With the national teams and all of the kerfuffle that is going on at the moment it is a great opportunity for the Gold Coast people to show that they really want a team down there.

"You have to be able to support a team if you want one down there."
Source:GC Bulletin

Darren Lockyer
25-09-06, 07:59 AM
good news

zacaroo
25-09-06, 08:04 AM
sweet....the reds are going to win the pre season cup thing in australia for sure!!

DIEHARD
25-09-06, 12:50 PM
I'm so glad we got to the Coast first. And all the other lesser codes like union are playing catch up.

lonegull
25-09-06, 01:08 PM
good news

HodgoBerro
19-10-06, 02:22 PM
great news i'll be there cheering on berrick barnes, caleb brown and nic berry!

s_s_s
19-10-06, 02:28 PM
I'm thinking of going to both games

HodgoBerro
19-10-06, 02:30 PM
cancel that thought i'll be made to go...

members day at ballymore is on the 24th of Jan

zacaroo
20-10-06, 12:12 PM
how much are tickets?

DIEHARD
20-10-06, 12:43 PM
Gee rugby union....I'm so there....

NOT. :emp:

s_s_s
20-10-06, 01:02 PM
how much are tickets?

Prices

General Admission

Adult (16 years and over) $20.00
Concession (Full Pensioner, Full Time Student) $15.00
Junior (15 years and under) $ 5.00
Family (2 Adults and 2 Juniors) $40.00
2007 Reds Member $10.00

Two Game Package (Available for General Admission only)

Adult (16 years and over) $30.00
Concession (Full Pensioner, Full Time Student) $20.00
Junior (15 years and under) $ 5.00
Family (2 Adults and 2 Juniors) $60.00
2007 Reds Member $15.00

Source:http://www.ticketmaster.com.au/eventprofiles/profiles.asp?profileid=2578

HodgoBerro
26-10-06, 06:56 AM
how much are tickets?

they will be around 25 dollars i believe.