PDA

View Full Version : Prince heading to the titans?

Super Cronk
14-10-05, 09:56 AM
Wests Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce yesterday met Scott Prince's agent, Steve Robinson, to discuss plans to extend the Clive Churchill Medal winner's contract.

The Tigers also want to tie up five-eighth Benji Marshall before the beginning of next season but Prince last night told Channel Nine he wanted to wait until after the June 30 anti-tampering deadline to talk to other clubs.

With Prince not totally sure on his future do you think he could sign with the titans? the tigers would be hard pressed to signed both prince and marshal on big bucks. And the titans have alot to spend and need a halfback.

Steelers
14-10-05, 09:59 AM
I hope he does. It would give the team that extra edge to have a strong 6 and 7 combination.

Queenslander
14-10-05, 10:01 AM
Prince might be leaving his options open to the Titans, you never know he might prefer to come back to sunny queensland. If he did come to the titans would he be assigned as captain? If the Titans were trying to lure him i would assume that it would have to be apart of the deal.

DeeGan
14-10-05, 10:15 AM
Personally, I think he is a big chance of coming back to Queensland as the Gold Coast Titans innaugral halfback and captain.

Prince's partner is very keen on getting back to Queensland and I think we can offer a competitive contract if not exceeding that of the Wests Tigers.

Scott Prince would be a great signing for the Gold Coast Titans. We have a world class prop, five eight and winger, adding a world class halfback would be sensational.

DeeGan

Teegy
14-10-05, 10:18 AM
Prince is a great chance of coming back to QLD. only thing that will swing him is his loyalty to tim sheens. that is the only reason he went to wests

Steelers
14-10-05, 11:02 AM
We have a world class prop, five eight and winger, adding a world class halfback would be sensational.

We would be doing very well to keep them plus every1 else under the cap.

Titanium_BD1103
14-10-05, 12:29 PM
I think we can do it.. and I think Prince will head to the Gold Coast in 07.. there is more of a chance now he won a premiership with the Tigers... he has achieved what he wanted to achieve there....

EXPECT TO SEE PRINCE and CAMPBELL AS THE COMBINATION FOR THE TITANS IN 07.. :D

Steelers
14-10-05, 12:35 PM
EXPECT TO SEE PRINCE and CAMPBELL AS THE COMBINATION FOR THE TITANS IN 07.. :D

If that is the combination, add that bto the players we have signed so far, and already we have a potential premiership winning side. I would put money on the GC at the start of the season to make the top 4 if we get Prince.

Dakink
14-10-05, 12:41 PM
Or it is Prince just trying to drive up his price by going to the open market??

DeeGan
14-10-05, 01:08 PM

So cynical Dakink ;) lol

DeeGan

The Original Idiot
14-10-05, 01:25 PM
Prince is the best half in Queensland. Hands down.

..::Coops::..
15-10-05, 07:53 AM
how old is Prince??

Steelers
15-10-05, 09:00 AM
how old is Prince??

ridgey
16-10-05, 07:52 AM
i'll believe it when he's on the t.v shaking hands with michael searle!

PARANoIR
16-10-05, 08:45 AM

lol. I'm glad it was someone else that said it.

Prince will definitely be with a QLD club in 2007.

Steelers
16-10-05, 02:09 PM
Prince will definitely be with a QLD club in 2007.

that is a big call.

Cliffy GC
17-10-05, 10:59 AM
Prince is the best half in Queensland. Hands down.
yeap

as a blues fan i hope they dont pick prince and thurston at half and 5/8 next year

sonnyphil
18-10-05, 12:57 PM
if prince goes any where its gonna be broncos

Dakink
18-10-05, 01:46 PM
if prince goes any where its gonna be broncos

Dont know if he would be willing to go back to the Broncos after last time - maybe when\if Bennett and co move on!

Teegy
18-10-05, 02:05 PM
I see him coming to the titans if he leaves Wests.

DIEHARD
19-10-05, 10:10 AM
He will definately come to the Titans if he leaves Wests. But I just can't see Wests letting him go, it would have to be a move based on a personal decision.

Teegy
19-10-05, 12:28 PM
Prince will leave if tim sheens looks to retire

Mark
19-10-05, 05:37 PM
Well I hope Sheens retires then!!

I cannot see him going back to the Broncos, there is no way he could get the money he deserves under their salary cap. I believe that was half the reason he left, they could not offer him much dollars wise, and of course his limited opportunities.

sonnyphil
19-10-05, 08:27 PM
face it you guys can not possibly get all of these players if prince is goin anywhere its to the broncs AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coaster
19-10-05, 08:57 PM
face it you guys can not possibly get all of these players if prince is goin anywhere its to the broncs AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh ok, DID YOU HEAR THAT EVERYONE? Time to pack up!!!

We are playing 2007 with 5 players, and no halfback, no use trying, sonnyphil has shown us the truth. :rolleyes:

The Original Idiot
20-10-05, 07:53 AM
Get real. Your boys aren't going to have a good halfback for another five years.

Dakink
20-10-05, 08:47 AM
Prince will not be going back to the Broncos...

sonnyphil
20-10-05, 03:17 PM
cant u understand i said all of them ok ill face it yous are gettin tonga and others but there is now way use can afford lyon prince marshal etc

titans_fanatic
23-10-05, 01:00 PM
i would love that 7.prince 6.cambell i have liked prince for the past few years and he has just exploded with form over the past 2 years he would be great to have at the club and would bring exerience and the experience of winning a comp!!

Kingytek
26-10-05, 12:07 PM
I'd love to see Prince in a Titan's jersey!

DIEHARD
26-10-05, 03:21 PM
We are a chance to get Prince, a fairly good chance.

It would be fantastic if we pulled it off and he became a Titan. But I believe he will stay with the Tigers and the Tigers will pay whatever Prince wants.

Dakink
26-10-05, 03:54 PM
thats my thoughts too.

titans_fanatic
29-10-05, 06:28 PM
i rekon we will get him i have a feeling we will

Queenslander
29-10-05, 10:06 PM
The tigers will offer more money than the titans will. If prince wants money he will stay with the tigers but if he wants to come back to QLD for the lifestyle he will go to the titans

Steelers
30-10-05, 08:15 AM
The tigers will offer more money than the titans will. If prince wants money he will stay with the tigers but if he wants to come back to QLD for the lifestyle he will go to the titans

If the Tigers offer more money for Prince, they may not have enough for Benji. They are going to have to make a big decision (IMO) on whether they sign Scott or Benji.

Queenslander
30-10-05, 11:57 AM
Prince wants $1.6m to stay

PREMIERS Wests Tigers will be forced to fork out up to $1.6 million to stop star playmaker Scott Prince from walking out on the club.

And The Sunday Telegraph can reveal that Brisbane and Melbourne are ready to join the Gold Coast in a fierce bidding war should the Clive Churchill Medallist test the open market.

Just days after the Tigers warned they may not re-sign Prince if he becomes a free agent next season, his manager Steve Robinson revealed the halfback would seek a "significant upgrade" on his existing deal.

A fortnight ago, the Tigers began talks to extend Prince's contract at the club beyond next season. The Tigers are prepared to offer a further two years. But Prince, who is in line to make his Test debut against Great Britain on Sunday week after Andrew Johns' injury, is chasing a four-year extension that would tie him to the club until the end of 2010.

It is understood a critical part of negotiations is determining Prince's appropriate price tag.

The former Queensland Origin halfback, who turns 27 in February, is earning an estimated $210,000 per season.

But his brilliant season, elevation to the Kangaroos and the fact he could become the hottest halfback commodity on the open market next season means Prince stands to command a minimum $300,000 per season.

And his value could soar towards the $400,000 mark if Prince opts to negotiate with rival clubs, including the Gold Coast, who want him as their foundation halfback in 2007.

Robinson said such figures were not out of Prince's realm - and pointed to Manly signing Matt Orford on a rumoured $600,000-a-year deal.

"At the moment talks have been amicable with the Tigers but there are several factors to weigh up, including what Scott is worth," Robinson said.
"Matt Orford is a very good footballer but he hasn't played Origin, won a Clive Churchill Medal or made the Australian squad. I've touched base with the Tigers and I've indicated the amount we're looking for.

"It's now up to the Tigers to consider that."

On Wednesday, Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce said the club was confident of retaining Prince but would have to "pursue other options" if the former Broncos halfback became a free agent.

The joint venture should not have a problem finding room to upgrade Prince. They spent $500,000 below the salary cap this season - sufficient funds to secure both Prince and scrumbase partner Benji Marshall, who is also off-contract next season.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett has admitted one of his biggest regrets is releasing Prince in 2003. The club is also under pressure to land a big-name recruit after three disastrous finals campaigns.

Family is a significant factor, with Prince and wife Kristy both born in Queensland.

"One day we would like to go back home but that doesn't mean it will be any time soon," Prince said before jetting out with the Kangaroos on Thursday.

titans_fanatic
30-10-05, 08:59 PM
600 000 for orford and 400 000 for prince ill take prince and the 200 000 bucks thanks

Super Cronk
10-01-06, 05:07 PM
tonight on 10 news they were talking about how prince was waiting before signing with the tigers. Prince also said his girlfriend/wife was home sick...and he said he wanted to keep her happy. I think we will be seeing prince in titans colours come 2007.

Queenslander
10-01-06, 05:11 PM
tonight on 10 news they were talking about how prince was waiting before signing with the tigers. Prince also said his girlfriend/wife was home sick...and he said he wanted to keep her happy. I think we will be seeing prince in titans colours come 2007.
I read this article this morning:

Prince keeps Tigers guessing
WESTS Tigers must sweat on premiership-winning captain Scott Prince's future until after next month's world club challenge with Bradford in England.

Prince said today he will not be sitting down with club management until mid-February to discuss terms for a contract extension.

"We have agreed to hold talks when the Bradford game is over and hopefully I will be able to sort out my future then," said Prince, the 2005 Dally M captain of the year.

"I realise there is a lot of speculation about me in the media but that doesn't concern me.

"I want to help the boys knock over Bradford and win another big title then I plan to sit down and speak with (coach) Tim Sheens and (chief executive) Steve Noyce."

Prince returned to club training at Concord Oval yesterday, still on a high after the Tigers' grand final victory over North Queensland last October.

The brilliant No.7 is confident the Tigers will enjoy another rousing season, especially after running his eye over the first grade squad.

The Tigers have a busy pre-season, kicking off in Gunnedah on January 27 against Country outfit Group 4, coached by former Souths and Newcastle prop Matt Parsons.

The premier then goes to England for the world club challenge a week later.

Prince is under no illusion as to how different the upcoming season promises to be, but is confident his team can defend the title.
"Last year was great for us, everyone was waiting for us to fall but we kept on winning which was a special feeling and something I will never forget," he said.

"We realise the pressure on us this season will be more intense.

"We have become the hunted and to cover that we have recruited soundly.

Former Canberra Raiders prop Ryan O'Hara has impressed in pre-season with Prince labelling him as one to watch.

"A number of the boys have told me Ryan has looked very sharp at training and looks to be quite a handy acquisition," said Prince.

"I remember watching him at Origin a few years ago and if he can reproduce that kind of form it will be great for us."

Prince has also welcomed the likely selection of utility Ben Reynolds at pivot in the absence of Benji Marshall in the upcoming trials, and believes the former Penrith playmaker is ready to step up and make his presence felt.

"I am confident in Ben and I believe he will slot in well with Benji out injured if given the chance," he said.

With prized off-season recruits Keith Galloway, Sam Harris and Jamaal Lolesi also keen to showcase their talents, the Tigers have assembled an impressive mix of youth and experience and are seeking to emulate the Brisbane Broncos of 1992-93 by going on to snare successive premierships.

Wests Tigers open the NRL 2006 season against St George Illawarra under lights at Telstra Stadium on March 10.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17779105-23214,00.html

10-01-06, 06:32 PM
on channel 10 news (qld) they said prince's manager was going to ask tigers for permission to be ablt to talk to other clubs early - so as to finalise it so it doesn't drag long into the season

DeeGan
11-01-06, 12:16 PM
Well their is still hope for the Gold Coast Titans if the Wests Tigers are not able to sign Prince before the start of the season - IMO Prince will be either a Tiger or Titan in 2007. I had lost hope in signing Prince late in 2005 though the plot continues to thicken.

Interesting to see the comment on Ryan O'Hara as being "a handy acquisition" from Prince. I think he is spot on.

O'Hara went off the boil a little after a below par Origin debut in 2004 (something to do with then coach Phil Gould and how he used him) and we never saw the form he showed in 2003 (his best season) again as I believe he was forced to simply be a battering ram which restricted his impact.

If O'Hara comes in near enough the 2003 form (and early 2004) the Tigers have made a significant improvement to an already impressive team.

DeeGan

Thanks to Bulldog_Titan311 for pointing out this article had been posted ;)

DeeGan

TDoGGBulldog
12-01-06, 03:03 AM
i personally think you's will get prince, but as sonnyphill was going on about you getting tonga, i think willie will stay with the boys at canterbury coz there all pretty tight atm...

DIEHARD
12-01-06, 03:19 AM
I wonder if all the good will from other teams towards the Titans will disappear when we start signing players in their ranks. :laugh:

Although Penrith fans took losing Preston very well, I think they knew he really wanted to be with the Gold Coast and wished him their best.

Getting Prince would be....absolutely unbelievable. But I think it is a 70/30 call in favour of the Tigers, but we are in for a great chance!

DeeGan
12-01-06, 07:44 AM
I wonder if all the good will from other teams towards the Titans will disappear when we start signing players in their ranks. :laugh:

You raise a good point DIEHARD - in the case of Scott Prince I believe the Wests Tigers faithful would have no ill feeling towards us for the simple fact Prince has given the Tigers management team every chance to secure his signature from day one.

IF we do end up getting the prized signature of Scott Prince Wests Tigers management will have 'blood on their hands' so to speak.

DeeGan

DeeGan
12-01-06, 07:49 AM
This from www.foxsports.com.au:

Prince to test open market
By Brent Read
January 12, 2006

WESTS TIGERS captain Scott Prince is ready to request permission to hold talks with rival clubs on his return from the World Club Challenge next month, heightening chances his future will remain undecided until mid-year.

Prince, off contract at the end of the season, is eager to settle his future before Wests Tigers open their premiership defence on March 10.

However, he and his manager Steve Robinson have also made it clear they would like to test the waters with rival clubs before deciding whether to re-sign with Wests Tigers.

Talks have been put on hold until after the match against Bradford at Huddersfield on February 3.

A request to negotiate with rival clubs is likely to receive short shrift from Wests Tigers, meaning Prince will wait until the June 30 anti-tampering deadline expires before he decides his future.

"When we sit down (with Wests Tigers) in that second week of February ... it's more than likely that will come up," Robinson said.

"It would be hard to make a decision without knowing what the other (clubs) have to say. If you can't find that out before the June 30 deadline, you don't have a choice but to wait."

Prince is likely to attract interest from several clubs, with Gold Coast and Brisbane mentioned as prospective candidates.

However, Wests Tigers remain confident they can secure his signature before the season starts.

"We want to try to keep the kid," recruitment manager Warren McDonnell said.

"He's our captain, he's been good for the Wests Tigers and Wests Tigers have been good for him.

"We'll have a chat with him and see what happens from there. We're not going to speculate on whether we're going to give them permission."

Prince will lead Wests Tigers in their World Club Challenge warm-up game against Group 4 in Gunnedah this month after being named in a 21-man squad by coach Tim Sheens.

Sheens predicted Prince would get plenty of game time in Gunnedah - despite touring with the Kangaroos late last season - alongside prospective five-eighths for this season, Ben Reynolds and Daniel Fitzhenry.

The Australian

Interesting developement...

DeeGan

Queenslander
19-01-06, 09:33 AM
WESTS Tigers' premiership-winning captain Scott Prince says he is only a 50-50 chance to stay with the club after this season because officials are playing hardball over contract talks.

Prince says unless the Tigers' attitude softens he will wait until after the June 30 anti-tampering deadline and talk to other clubs.

"I'm going to have to," he said. "It's my only choice.

"I want to at least have a chat with other clubs.

"A part of me wants to stay. A part of me wants to go. I'm 50-50."

Prince, along with Benji Marshall, provided much of the inspiration for the Tigers' premiership last season.
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17865395-23214,00.html

This is some good news for the titans!

DIEHARD
19-01-06, 10:00 AM
Wow big news! Him saying that part of him wants to leave and he is 50-50.

That 50% would have to be for going to a Queensland club and the Titans would have to be that club.

If the Tigers continue to play hard ball with him, it may be enough to push him over the edge.

Go for him hard Titans!

DeeGan
19-01-06, 10:25 AM
Keep playing "hard ball" Steve Noyce, you will end up losing your best player and have no one to blame but yourselves ;)

This is GREAT NEWS on the player front for the Gold Coast Titans, in 6 months time we could have our first great half and captain signed, sealed and delivered to the Titans :)

DeeGan

Super Cronk
19-01-06, 11:05 AM
I think its safe to say that he already has the pen in his hand...the titans just need to put the contract in front of him and its signed.

DIEHARD
19-01-06, 11:12 AM
Oh don't forget the anti tampering deadline.

Hopefully Prince becoming a Titan will only be a matter of time.

DeeGan
19-01-06, 11:14 AM
I would not suggest "the titans just need to put the contract in front of him and its signed" just yet cronk, for all we know Prince may be playing some "hardball" of his to speed up contract negotiations with the Tigers.

It will be an interesting few months, I cannot wait for July 1, 2006 to be here :)

DeeGan

Super Cronk
19-01-06, 11:16 AM
I would not suggest "the titans just need to put the contract in front of him and its signed" just yet cronk, for all we know Prince may be playing some "hardball" of his to speed up contract negotiations with the Tigers.

It will be an interesting few months, I cannot wait for July 1, 2006 to be here :)

DeeGan

True, he may be. I obviously dont have any proof that its all but signed, im just speculating after hearing him on tv reports and also reading some articles. It just seems as tho he and his family want to return up north.

DeeGan
19-01-06, 11:21 AM
I agree, all looks positive for a move north as his wife is 'home sick' and the positives far outweigh the negatives in moving back to QLD - from the outside looking in at least.

John Cartwright, Scott Sattler and co. will be delighted to read this mornings news as the door remains open after July 1 it seems.

DeeGan

The Original Idiot
19-01-06, 04:43 PM
A big-name signing like Prince will encourage more players to join the titans.

DeeGan
30-01-06, 09:40 AM
This from Foxsports and the Daily Telegraph:

Prince talks to rivals
By Jeff Dunne
January 30, 2006

WESTS Tigers coach Tim Sheens said he was comfortable with captain Scott Prince holding talks with rival clubs before the season kicks off.

The Tigers will today reveal details of the deal they have struck with Prince's management which will allow him to talk to a select number of rival clubs in the next six weeks.

Prince is off contract at the end of the year and there has been intense speculation he is ready to move back to his home state of Queensland either with the Gold Coast Titans or Brisbane Broncos.

But the Tigers are desperate to keep their chief playmaker and halfback and realise that if they do not grant permission for him to talk to the rival clubs he will simply wait until the June 30 anti-tampering deadline expires.

Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce confirmed Prince had asked for permission to negotiate with rival clubs.

"That's what he requested but we haven't given a final response," Noyce said last night.

Sheens indicated in an interview with Triple M radio yesterday that he was comfortable with a deal being struck with Prince's management allowing the Tigers skipper to test the market on a limited basis.

"We've come to terms between management it will be sorted out before a ball is kicked off. One way or another we'll know where we're going. I'm happy with that situation," Sheens said told Triple M.

"There's a limited number of clubs that he feels he would be interested in. We're not in an open market situation and we have put a deadline on it so we can finalise something before the start of the season so we're not going to let it drag on."

Advertisement:
Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said the club would not pass up the opportunity to talk to Prince if it becomes available.

"We have had no discussions with either Scott Prince or his manager so I cannot talk in any specifics," Cullen said. "But if a player of Scott's calibre were to be on the open market and if the Tigers were to give him permission to talk to us we would be silly not to at least be interested.

"Having said that, we are pretty happy with what we've got on our playing list at present. "We're hoping 'Buster' [Brett Seymour] will come up well after his [shoulder] operation and there are a couple of younger guys coming through as well.

"But Scott is a quality player and, like any other club, we're always interested in quality players."

Tigers Ben Reynolds and Shane Elford have both been ruled out of the squad for the World Club Challenge with injury.

The club's four new recruits Ryan O'Hara, Sam Harris, Keith Galloway and Jamaal Lolesi have all made the trip to England.

Meanwhile, Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart has fired back at comments by Sheens claiming that only one Tigers player was considered for the weekend Kangaroos camp.

"No one from the ARL has bothered to ring me and say we didn't name you but this bloke, this bloke and this bloke were considered," Sheens told Triple M.

"It would've been nice to have publicly known from my players' point of view just where they stood.

"It's interesting that Brisbane players weren't considered but were named. My quip was that there was only one [Tiger considered]."

Stuart replied: "There were Tigers players considered.

"I don't know how many times Tim Sheens has to be told."

The Daily Telegraph

This whole Tigers and Scott Prince thing is getting a little boring to be perfectly blunt though the longer it draws out the better chance we at the Titans have of getting one of the elite halfbacks in the game.

I should not complain :)

DeeGan

Queenslander
30-01-06, 09:42 AM
I wouldnt mind the Broncos getting Prince back again ;) But the Titans have more chance of getting him than the Broncos :thumbsup:

DeeGan
30-01-06, 09:45 AM
I wouldnt mind the Broncos getting Prince back again ;) But the Titans have more chance of getting him than the Broncos :thumbsup:

I am not so sure. With cap room, yes we do, though Prince has mates at the Broncos and is a fan of Bennett who unlike many reports did not release him because he wanted too.

Scott Prince will either be a Tiger, Titan or Bronco.

May the best team win :)

DeeGan

Queenslander
30-01-06, 09:48 AM
I am not so sure. With cap room, yes we do, though Prince has mates at the Broncos and is a fan of Bennett who unlike many reports did not release him because he wanted too.

Scott Prince will either be a Tiger, Titan or Bronco.

May the best team win :)

DeeGan

The Titans would have more to offer Prince e.g. A new team; a new challenge, and the fact that if he was signed he would most likely be the captain as well. Those sort of things would interest Prince and he cannot get them at the broncos....May the best team win :thumbsup:

DeeGan
30-01-06, 10:19 AM
The Titans would have more to offer Prince e.g. A new team; a new challenge, and the fact that if he was signed he would most likely be the captain as well. Those sort of things would interest Prince and he cannot get them at the broncos....May the best team win :thumbsup:

True, Prince will be our half, captain and the opportunity to be part of history which is rare in the current climate when talking 'new' teams. It would be almost certain that he would become our highest paid player topping Luke Bailey IMO.

I am not making a case for the Broncos, if Prince is not a Tiger and I can only see him being a Titan, though they (Brisbane) are a dark horse with out doubt.

DeeGan

lonegull
30-01-06, 10:28 AM
least scotty prince is being open about what he feels not going behind anyones back trying to get the price up The man is a real gentleman on and off the field what a great addition he would be a natural born leader and how
much pull would a signing like this would be for any boom youngsters they get to play with the australian halfback.

30-01-06, 09:02 PM
if Prince is not a Tiger and I can only see him being a Titan, though they (Brisbane) are a dark horse with out doubt.

DeeGan

i agee DeeGan

Dakink
30-01-06, 09:04 PM
On tonight's news - Princehas been given permission to talk to QLD clubs only. Titans mentioned specifically. Cartwright was on tele sayong that Prince would be the type of player that he could build a team around - getting better by the day :-)

DeeGan
31-01-06, 08:19 AM
A new spanner in the works this morning;

Prince fits Cowboys' profile
By Brent Read
January 31, 2006

NORTH Queensland could offer Scott Prince the opportunity to return home after confirmation the Wests Tigers captain has been granted permission to negotiate with the NRL's Queensland clubs.

The Tigers yesterday said they had allowed Prince and his manager the opportunity to speak to Brisbane, Gold Coast and the Cowboys.

Prince has until the end of the month to complete negotiations before providing the Tigers with written details of their rivals' offers for the 2007 season and beyond.

Cowboys chief executive Peter Parr said last year's grand finalists would be interested in holding talks with the former Queensland halfback, who was born in Mt Isa and began his first grade career with the club as an 18 year old in 1998.

North Queensland's expression of interest means all three clubs north of the border have indicated a willingness to negotiate with the Tigers halfback, who is off contract at the end of the forthcoming.

"I think it would be silly not to have a chat," Parr said.

"He fits our criteria. He's just captained a grand final-winning side, he just won the Clive Churchill medal, he's been on a Kangaroos tour, he's a north Queenslander and he's played at our club before."

If the Cowboys were successful in luring Prince north, they would likely move Dally M medal winner Johnathan Thurston to five-eighth and field arguably the finest halves combination in the NRL.

Gold Coast is considered the frontrunner for Prince's services but, after talking with chief executive Michael Searle, coach John Cartwright made it clear yesterday the fledgling club would not become involved in a bidding war. Prince is expected to command more than $350,000 on the open market.

Cartwright was salivating at the prospect of pairing Prince with Penrith five-eighth Preston Campbell, who has signed to join the Titans when they enter the NRL in 2007.

"You have one instinctive guy like Preston and you have a bloke like Prince who can guide the team around the park," Cartwright said.

"It's an exciting combination but a long way off that yet."

The Australian

Frontrunner or not, I will be relieved to see the official signing of Scott Prince before the season is out - the suspense after June 30, 2006 will kill me.

"Exciting combination" - too right, it would be the best halves combination in the NRL potentially playing behind the best prop in the game, Luke Bailey.

DeeGan

Eel 33
31-01-06, 11:02 AM
Ill bet his Tiger team mate Anthony Laffranchi would be in his ear. Think about a dynamic halves combo, but probably the best front row combo as well.

lonegull
31-01-06, 11:10 AM
the news that scotty prince could go to the cowboys is a bit of a downer how would they fit him under the salary cap and he has already been up there i think he will come to the titans he has just won the premiereship and needs a new challenge and there are plenty of incentives to join the titans

DeeGan
31-01-06, 11:50 AM
Ill bet his Tiger team mate Anthony Laffranchi would be in his ear. Think about a dynamic halves combo, but probably the best front row combo as well.

I agree, let's hope Anthony is persuasive :) As Carty said in the article, we are not going to get involved in a bidding war and nor should we. We will offer him (Prince) a healthy contract, a chance to captain a team debuting in the NRL becoming part of history in the same process and a lifestyle that allows him to also be closer to family and friends.

If that is not enticing, nothing will be :)

Fingers crossed ;)

DeeGan

The Original Idiot
31-01-06, 04:43 PM
NQ already have a good halfback in Brett Firman. They have good cover in the halves as well. Add that to staying under the cap and I'd say Prince will not go there.

DIEHARD
31-01-06, 04:47 PM
What is Fien's situation with the Warriors?

DIEHARD
31-01-06, 11:05 PM
Prince willing to leave Tigers

Wests Tigers captain Scott Prince says he is genuine about returning to North Queensland or Brisbane next year - but coach Tim Sheens wants at least two weeks to match any offer from the Queensland rivals.

Prince and Sheens, who arrived in Britain yesterday for the World Club Challenge, spoke for the first time since the club's surprise decision to allow the star half to speak to the Cowboys, Broncos and Gold Coast, effective immediately.

The request to hold talks with North Queensland and Brisbane - Prince's two previous NRL clubs - was seen in some quarters as an attempt to throw observers off the scent of the Titans, who have been heavily linked with him despite being previously banned from an approach.

But Prince said he would seriously consider returning to Suncorp or Dairy Farmers Stadium.

"I'd like to know, definitely, where they're coming from," he told The Daily Telegraph outside the Leeds Marriott following a gruelling 30-hour journey from Sydney.

"Obviously it's something I want to look at.

"It doesn't hurt to have a talk to them. I won't know where they're coming from until I speak to my manager."

Sheens, normally reticent to discuss contractual matters, said the Cowboys, Broncos and Titans were presented to Wests Tigers as the clubs most interested in the 2005 premiership skipper.

"We had indications he had interest from the three clubs, they were the three clubs he was interested in so we gave him permission to talk to them," Sheens said.

But while the joint-venture side wants the issue resolved by the kickoff of the Telstra Premiership, Sheens said that did not give agent Steve Robinson five or six weeks to table offers from the Queenslanders.
"It was all about the manager going to those clubs and getting it organised quickly so we had a couple of weeks to discuss things once we got back and sort it out before the season started," he said.

Robinson may be required to table offers from the Queensland triumvirate by next week.

Sheens did not want to fuel speculation by commenting further and Prince said he had no problem with the mid-March decision deadline.

Wests Tigers were due to have their first training run on British soil late last night, Australian time, with Sheens refuting local reports he has already finalised his side with Daniel Fitzhenry at five-eighth to deputise for the injured Benji Marshall.

"Chances are, Fitzhenry and (Ben) Galea will share the position," he said.

"That's what happened in Gunnedah and I was happy with that."

Bradford have had their own pre-match drama with officials issuing a statement yesterday insisting coach Brian Noble was not about to bail out for Newcastle.

Noble, also the Great Britain coach, has been linked with the Knights post despite being under contract at Odsal.

Sheens, meanwhile, has been gathering information about the Bradford players from South Sydney's former St Helens, Gateshead and Hull coach Shaun McRae.

Wests Tigers assistant coach Royce Simmons has also canvassed veteran utility Brad Drew, who played against the Bulls for Huddersfield in a pre-season friendly two weeks ago.

Source: Fox Sports

Queenslander
31-01-06, 11:09 PM
The request to hold talks with North Queensland and Brisbane - Prince's two previous NRL clubs - was seen in some quarters as an attempt to throw observers off the scent of the Titans, who have been heavily linked with him despite being previously banned from an approach.

I have been thinking that too; but the lure of the Titans should be too great for Prince and im sure he will be signed by them rather soon.

mb63
01-02-06, 09:18 PM
The good thing about Prince is it is likely to be sorted out quickly.I reckon it is a 3 horse race between Tigers,Titans & Cowboys.The Cowboys may not be convinced about Firman & may make a big play for Prince.It is hard to know where he might end up.Tigers have been good to him but he maybe swayed to the QLD lifestyle & a nice long term contract.

DeeGan
02-02-06, 11:32 PM
More on the Prince will he, won't he saga :) I am more than happy with Noyce telling 'Tigers fans not to worry' too just quietly.

Tigers only hope to keep Prince
By Steve Mascord in Leeds
February 3, 2006

WESTS Tigers are under increasing pressure to quickly re-sign coach Tim Sheens if they are to have any hope of retaining captain Scott Prince as they complete preparations for tomorrow morning's World Club Challenge.

The joint venture club will enjoy one of the proudest moments in its short history when its colours are seen on British soil for the first time against Bradford at Huddersfield's Galpharm Stadium.

But even if they come away from the clash as the best club side in the world, officials face tense times with the coach and skipper not contracted beyond this season and each in a strong bargaining position following last year's fairytale premiership.

Sheens and club management insist there is no rush over a new deal - but the mid-March deadline placed on Prince has dramatically upped the ante.

"It is pretty well documented that Scott has known Tim since he was 16," Prince's agent, Steve Robinson, said yesterday.

"Tim made Scott captain last year, it's pretty clear what Tim thinks of him and Scott was bitterly disappointed to leave North Queensland when Tim was there.

"Scott is Tim's arms, eyes and legs on the field. You don't see them arguing. They're not strangers, put it that way."

Robinson has not asked Wests Tigers officials about Sheens' future yet but the issue is certain to come up at some stage in future negotiations.

While Newcastle is the only club definitely in the market for a 2007 coach right now, two of Sheens's former teams - Canberra and Penrith - have their current bosses off contract at the end of the season.
If Sheens was to keep his options open for a large chunk of the season, Prince would almost certainly be the first casualty, with stability within the club the next.

Wests Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce insisted fans shouldn't worry.

"Tim likes to look at the total picture, like who his support staff is going to be, and we had some discussions before Christmas," he said. "We are confident - he has given us an indication he wants to stay. He has been our best signing."

Asked when an announcement could be expected, Noyce said: "Tim is always thinking about football but I'm sure we'll find time."

Noyce said Sheens had been offered a two-year extension. It would not be unusual for Sheens to ask for at least three - and a significant raise - after turning a battling franchise into world beaters almost overnight.

Sheens said he didn't want to fuel speculation by commenting in any detail.

"We haven't started this year, let alone worry what's beyond it," he told The Daily Telegraph at Wests Tigers' Leeds hotel.

"It doesn't worry me. We've had preliminary discussions and we're having ongoing discussions. It's in the hands of the management."

Asked if he wanted to stay, Sheens said: "Yeah, sure. When I say that, I want to keep coaching - put it that way."

The Daily Telegraph

Queenslander
05-02-06, 09:46 AM
THE Gold Coast has told Scott Prince's management it will refuse to engage in a prolonged and expensive bidding war for the Test halfback's services next year.

Titans managing director Michael Searle said the Gold Coast would make a serious approach to Prince, but was certain the fledgling club would not put in the highest offer for his keenly-sought signature.

The premiership-winning captain and 2005 Clive Churchill Medallist has been given permission by the Wests Tigers to negotiate with Queensland's three NRL clubs, but Searle said the Coast would not be putting all its eggs in one basket.

"I am a firm believer that depth is the most important thing for our club in 2007 so we are not going to spend a large chunk of our salary cap on the one player," he said.

"If we wanted to go and do that to get a halfback we would have gone after Matt Orford last year.

"As an expansion licence, spending that much money on one player would be commercial suicide.

"If Scotty comes here, it will almost certainly be for less money than he could have got elsewhere.

"I've spoken to Scotty's manager and reinforced the fact that we won't be involved in a Dutch auction and be used as leverage in negotiations with other clubs."

Prince is in England with the Tigers, who lost the World Club Challenge match yesterday, and has left negotiations in the hands of manager Steve Robinson.

Searle said the Titans were seeking an audience with Prince and his family to outline the advantages of joining the Gold Coast side.

The slick audio-visual presentation would be tailor-made to Prince and would highlight on and off-field benefits of becoming a foundation Titan.

Searle said he hoped to make the presentation to Prince in the next two to three weeks.

"It will be a big challenge for the guy to leave a premiership-winning club to join an expansion club but he has said he is keen to come back to Queensland and he has shown he is not scared of a challenge," Searle said.

"He left his home region to head to Brisbane, then he left the Broncos to join the Tigers when they weren't going so well, so he is the kind of bloke that accepts challenges.

"If he is keen to be a part of our challenge then we would obviously welcome him with open arms."

Searle said an announcement on the club's major sponsor would probably take place in the next two months. He said interest from the corporate sector was so high, it had taken longer than first thought to sift through expressions of interest.

The Titans have also spoken to the NRL about locking in two games against the Broncos for their inaugural season in 2007

http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,18037670%255E2764,00.html

DeeGan
05-02-06, 10:30 AM
Great read there and great to see Michael reinterating our position with recruitment.

If we can't get Prince, we will have other options at half to pursue.

DeeGan

DIEHARD
05-02-06, 11:45 AM
The Titans have also spoken to the NRL about locking in two games against the Broncos for their inaugural season in 2007.

An absolute priority. Two sell outs. Two massive hyped games. Two local derbies. :D

Queenslander
05-02-06, 01:51 PM
An absolute priority. Two sell outs. Two massive hyped games. Two local derbies. :D

The titans should have two locked in games between the cowboys and the broncos. That would be 4 "local" derbies and im sure they would all be full houses

DIEHARD
05-02-06, 02:00 PM
The titans should have two locked in games between the cowboys and the broncos. That would be 4 "local" derbies and im sure they would all be full houses

Absolutely. Cowboys v Titans games would be huge as well, at any Queensland venue.

Dakink
06-02-06, 10:09 AM
I hope we can go down the path of English football where a lot of the top teams regularly sell out their stadia and have an amazing atmosphere - I have been to Upton PArk (West Ham) on numerous occasions and it is only 20-30k ish. It is amazing though the atmosphere there.

We need to encourage people to come regularly and the new stadium will help.

The Original Idiot
06-02-06, 01:19 PM
I'm sure we can sell out often, being the only game in town.

Queenslander
12-02-06, 02:13 PM
Prince talks hit a glitch
By Steve Mascord
February 12, 2006

SCOTT Prince's permission to talk to rival clubs has hit a hurdle, causing concerns he will not be able to decide his future by the start of the season.

Wests Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce has confirmed a hiccup in talks with the premiership-winning skipper's agent, Steve Robinson, over the conditions of his permission to talk with Gold Coast, Brisbane and North Queensland.

While the details have now been ironed out, Cowboys and Broncos officials say they have been kept waiting and haven't even considered making offers to the halfback.

Prince wants to know where he will be playing in 2007 by March 3.

"I know they want clubs to make tenders but we like to have players up here, interview them and get a feel for what their motivations are," said Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen.

"That process can take a month. We are running out of time."

Cowboys chief executive Peter Parr said: "We have not made an offer because we haven't received a letter from Wests Tigers giving him permission to negotiate with us or any request for an offer.

"With anti-tampering rules the way they are, we aren't taking any chances."

Noyce said the biggest issue he wanted to sort out with Robinson was that negotiations not be conducted in public.

"I look at what happened with Matt Orford last year and I want to avoid that," he said. "We're better off if we have rules in place. I don't want Scott photographed in airports, for instance.

"I get on well with him, I hope he doesn't leave, but if he does I don't want there to be any animosity."

Noyce said he appreciated the effect of the delays on rival clubs but added: "I know if a good player comes on the market suddenly, I can put together an offer in three or four days.

"And Gold Coast aren't affected because they don't have a big stable of existing players."
Broncos and Cowboys have been left "waiting". This sounds like that the gold coast is the only option for Scott Prince :)

TITANS007
14-02-06, 02:13 PM
I'd love to see Princey a Titan in 07

DeeGan
16-02-06, 09:21 AM
Prince tender process set to fizzle
By Brent Read
February 16, 2006

THE three Queensland clubs granted permission to negotiate with Scott Prince have been asked whether they would provide the Wests Tigers captain with a car, airline tickets, third-party sponsorship and medical benefits as part of their offers to lure him across the border.

As revealed in The Australian last month, Prince's manager, Steve Robinson, planned to include a fact-finding sheet in the documentation he sent to Brisbane, North Queensland and Gold Coast.

Details of the documentation emerged yesterday as the bizarre bidding process involving Prince threatened to turn into a fizzer.

The Broncos, Cowboys and Titans have until February 28 to detail their offers.

However, Gold Coast is the only club to publicly commit to Prince.

Brisbane and North Queensland are yet to decide whether to chase the former Maroons halfback, who has played at both clubs.

The Broncos and Cowboys have raised concerns over the tender process designed by Robinson to streamline matters and stop a bidding war.

Prince has also been denied the opportunity to fly interstate to conduct negotiations, a clause which has led to Brisbane reconsidering its position.

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen made it clear yesterday that he would prefer to hold talks with Prince in person.

"I certainly don't feel as though we should lob something in a document and send it back like you're tendering for a block of land," Cullen said.

"We are dealing with people and you get a lot out of people by talking to them.

"Wayne (Bennett) and I and he (Robinson) and Prince should be able to have a meeting around the table and talk.

"I don't think it gives us enough latitude."

Cullen has emailed Robinson with his concerns, and indicated last night that he would be willing to fly to Sydney to meet Prince.

North Queensland chief executive Peter Parr and his Gold Coast counterpart Michael Searle were also adamant they expected to hold talks in person with Prince.

Parr will discuss the issue with Graham Murray and the remaining members of the coaching staff today.

"We still haven't made up our mind how far we will progress it, if we progress it at all," Parr said.

"We would like to get an opportunity to speak to Scott if in fact we're going to progress it. We understand the Tigers don't want him travelling around the countryside but certainly we would expect an audience with him in Sydney."

The Titans, who have already recruited Test prop Luke Bailey from St George-Illawarra, Britain winger Brian Carney and Penrith five-eighth Preston Campbell for its inaugural season in 2007, have earmarked Prince as a priority signing.

However, Searle will seek personal talks before taking the matter any further.

"I'm going to request we have a meeting," Searle said last night.

"I won't submit the offer until after we have met him. I think you have to meet face to face. You have to gauge what is important to him."

The to'ing-and-fro'ing over Prince's future has enhanced Wests Tigers' hopes of holding on to their key playmaker.

Club chief executive Steve Noyce yesterday said his gut feeling was Prince would remain with the premier.

That position is likely to be strengthened if coach Tim Sheens signs a contract extension, as expected, in the near future.

Prince has made no secret of his admiration for Sheens, who gave him his start in Townsville in 1998 and revived his career at Wests Tigers.

However, Prince still has a close affinity with the Broncos and Cowboys.

"We're not denying he wouldn't be a quality player, we're not denying he wouldn't be a great fit for our side," Parr said.

"But we have to weigh that up against our side and the salary cap."

Meanwhile, NRL chief executive David Gallop will meet Craig Gower's manager Greg Willett today.

Gower, whose future at the Panthers has been under a cloud in recent weeks, was named in the Penrith squad this week for Saturday's trial against Newcastle in Alice Springs.

The Australian

The saga continues...

This is get really boring, now we want "a car, airline tickets, third-party sponsorship and medical benefits" plus a healthy contract on top without meeting the respective CEO's? The manager talking for his player I get the feeling.

I hope the Scott Prince "will he or won't he" story ends ASAP.

DIEHARD
16-02-06, 09:24 AM
Oh I wouldn't mind it dragging out and us getting him in the end.

I love seeing the Titans name in print anyway.

DeeGan
16-02-06, 09:53 AM
Oh I wouldn't mind it dragging out and us getting him in the end.

I love seeing the Titans name in print anyway.

We all love seeing our name in the paper DIEHARD though not when we are being pitted against two QLD clubs made out to be a bidding war by the media. I don't want our club being used as leverage in contract talks with other clubs.

Dakink
16-02-06, 10:51 AM
Bah player managers - no player should be signed unless willing to meet with the clubs officials in person. What a joke the 'tender' process. I am still sitting on the fence as regards to how hard we should chase Prince...

DeeGan
16-02-06, 11:11 AM
Bah player managers - no player should be signed unless willing to meet with the clubs officials in person. What a joke the 'tender' process. I am still sitting on the fence as regards to how hard we should chase Prince...

I think we give him $300-350K - the captaincy - help with relocation, car, sponsorship etc. and leave it there. If he won't take that, good luck at your new club in 2007 Mr Prince.

Scott Prince is THE signing I do want for the Titans though I am pleased in the knowledge we are not going to be in this bidding war for the guy as Michael has stated. It would be ridiculous for a new team to throw the time of money I am hearing on one player - it would be franchise suicide tbh.

Titanium_BD1103
16-02-06, 11:21 AM
I agree with Deegan here.. We try to be reasonable with Prince, but I don't want the Titans to be used as leverage for the Broncos and Cowboys.. :(

If he signs then great... but if not then all the best Scott Prince.. I would be sad, but it is not the end of the world... ;)

Mathew Head is off contract too at the end of the season and is currently injured.. if we don't get Prince.. we go after him.. :)

Dakink
16-02-06, 12:13 PM
Matt Head is staying right were he is thank you!!

The Original Idiot
16-02-06, 07:20 PM
I don't think it is looking good for us now, Prince looks like staying. We should seriously be considering other options for halfback/5-8.

Dragons
17-02-06, 08:03 PM
Matt Head is staying right were he is thank you!!
We love our Head :beer:

Research Station Drive
18-02-06, 10:11 AM
Head won't be leaving Dragons.

I still think we're in with a big shot at Prince.

Kingytek
19-02-06, 08:15 AM
Titans want Prince to try new colours
Greg Stolz, Gold Coast Bureau Chief
18feb06

THEY'VE got their jersey ? now the Gold Coast Titans are determined to get it on Scott Prince's back.

The Gold Coast franchise yesterday unveiled its playing strip for the 2007 season when it will make its NRL debut.

The Titans of tomorrow, a group of local junior rugby league players, paraded the smart-looking white, blue and gold jersey.

Gold Coast executives, however, are looking into the much shorter-term future for their next star.

And all going well in negotiations, Prince will wear the No. 7 for the Titans when their NRL campaign kicks off next season.

The Wests Tigers halfback, who captained his side to victory in last year's grand final, is keen to return home to Queensland in 2007 after three seasons in Sydney.

The Titans, along with the Brisbane Broncos and North Queensland Cowboys, are all keen to snare the mercurial pivot's services, although Gold Coast is the only club to confirm it is formally bidding for Prince.

A February 28 deadline for offers has been imposed by Wests Tigers. Titans chief executive Michael Searle and coach John Cartwright will travel to Sydney next week for talks with Prince and his manager Steve Robinson.

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said he wanted a face to face meeting with Prince before deciding on whether to join the tender process.

Searle said yesterday he did not believe the Titans could match the money likely to be thrown at Prince by the Broncos and Cowboys.

But he was hopeful the Gold Coast lifestyle, and Prince's close friendship with former Wests Tigers teammate turned Titans football manager Scott Sattler, could lure the star halfback to the tourist strip.

"I'm sure the rugby league fan will acknowledge that decisions aren't always about finances," he said.

"It's going to be very tough for Scott. He was in a grand final-winning side last year. But hopefully the opportunities that this licence provides him might give us a bit of a crack."

Titans marketing manager Steve Burns said the club had consulted Parramatta to ensure the Gold Coast jersey did not clash with the Eels' blue-and-gold strip.

"This is the Gold Coast and it would have been remiss of us not to use the blue and gold colours of the sea and the sun," he said.

The jersey was chosen by fans from six options in a website poll.

The Titans are also chasing Cowboys and Australian trainer Billy Johnstone, the inaugural Gold Coast Giants captain who has three children living on the tourist strip.

"Hopefully that emotion and sentiment will work for us," Searle said.