PDA

View Full Version : Roosters target Anderson

Grimmace
14-09-06, 05:35 PM
Roosters target Anderson
Exclusive by James Hooper

September 14, 2006 12:00

TWO-time premiership winning coach Chris Anderson has emerged as the latest shock contender to take over from sacked Sydney Roosters coach Ricky Stuart.

The former Australian Test coach today held secret talks with Rooosters board member and powerbroker Mark Bouris at the Wizard Home Loans head office in Chifley St, Sydney.

The Daily Telegraph understands Anderson has been earmarked as the Roosters plan-B option should Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett turn down the tri-colours top job next season.

Anderson's manager George Mimis confirmed Bouris had a half-hour meeting with Anderson to quiz the former Kangaroos coach about his interest in the position.

``We can confirm that we had a discussion at a meeting with Mark Bouris who is obviously a board member of the Roosters,'' Mimis said.

``The discussion was productive and focussed on Chris' football philosophies.''

Anderson leaves Australia on an overseas business trip tomorrow.
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20411425-5006066,00.html

mb63
14-09-06, 05:49 PM
The Roosters are crazy if they chase Anderson.Whilst he was a good coach his recent stint at Cronulla was hardly successful.

Darren Lockyer
14-09-06, 06:06 PM
The Roosters are crazy if they chase Anderson.Whilst he was a good coach his recent stint at Cronulla was hardly successful.
yeah i know
wouldn't be a very good signing

Titanium_BD1103
14-09-06, 07:17 PM

He was a good coach back in Melbourne, he won them a premiership, also won premierships for the Bulldogs too.... I would say he is a great coach... :)

He may not have had success at Cronulla, but no offense to the Sharks, who has... it seems they have a problem in club culture, not the people who coach them... so I reckon the Roosters going after him is a great idea.. :clap:

He is not only a great coach, but he will finally get the Roosters juniors from the success they have had in PL and JF to success in FG... which they have lacked for eons.

Only problem I see is that he is a Canterbury Boy, I would hate to see one of our own true blue sons coaching the Roosters, I wish him all the best, but I'd hate to see it, its like going out with the enemy, its just doesn't sound right.... :roll: :roll:

Rayzr
14-09-06, 07:25 PM
Well his a good coach .. but he wasn't successful in Cronulla so he might have lost heaps of coaching power.

Grimmace
15-09-06, 07:41 AM
Opes the man for Bondi
By James Hooper
September 15, 2006 FORMER Australia coach Chris Anderson has emerged as the new favourite to take over from sacked Sydney Roosters coach Ricky Stuart.

With Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett last night withdrawing from the Bondi Junction equation, Anderson has firmed to receive a coaching lifeline from the Roosters.

Bennett turned down the approach to honour his current Broncos contract after being sounded out by Roosters powerbrokers last month.

A Brisbane insider has confirmed the five-time premier coach was as close as he has ever been to switching cities.

The move comes exactly one week after The Daily Telegraph revealed Bennett was the Roosters' primary target as coach for their 100th season.

Hours before Bennett torpedoed his move south, two-time premiership coach Anderson held a meeting with Roosters board member Mark Bouris at Wizard Home Loans' head office in Sydney.

Bouris last night confirmed the former Bulldogs, Melbourne and Sharks coach was on the Tricolours' shortlist to be appointed for 2007.

"The meeting was great. Chris Anderson is a really highly respected guy," Bouris said.

"Culturally we like the style of the bloke. We like him as a coach, obviously he's got the best credentials floating around.

"He's available, he's interested and I think he probably sees it as somewhat of a challenge going forward."

When The Daily Telegraph spoke to Bouris on the prospect of Bennett moving to Bondi Junction at 5pm last night, he said: "He's a possibility if he's interested in the job and can do the job. As I understand there's a lot of issues around Wayne's ability to simply transfer here.

"Whereas Chris is here, lives here, is not currently under contract to anybody else -- which is usually a big issue and has expressed serious interest.

"I can't say those same sort of circumstances apply to Wayne."

Bennett then officially withdrew from the Roosters equation last night.

The next step in the Roosters-Anderson development will be a meeting between Bouris, chairman Nick Politis and chief executive Brian Canavan today.

The Roosters now intend to set up another meeting involving all three club powerbrokers and Anderson.

Anderson leaves Australia for India on business today.

Bouris said the Roosters board would announce a new coach in the next month.

Anderson was previously linked to Newcastle and Canberra earlier this season after being sacked by the Sharks at the end of 2003.

Source: Daily Telegraph

Darren Lockyer
15-09-06, 07:52 AM
idon't know if he's up to it

Titanium_BD1103
15-09-06, 05:47 PM
**CHRIS ANDERSON IS THE NEW ROOSTERS COACH.... **

Chris Anderson Roosters' new coach
Glenn Jackson
September 15, 2006 - 4:50PM

The Sydney Roosters' coaching soap opera is over, with the club set to announce this afternoon that Chris Anderson will take Ricky Stuart's reins.

The former Bulldogs, Melbourne and Cronulla coach will be confirmed as the new Roosters mentor just 24 hours after meeting with the club's high-profile board member Mark Bouris.

It will also come less than a day after Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett turned his back on the Roosters, telling Broncos officials he would be honouring his contract with the club.

Anderson, the former Australian coach, last coached in the NRL in 2003, when he was sacked by the Sharks. He has won two premierships - with Canterbury in 1995 and Melbourne in 1999.

The Roosters' wealthy chairman Nick Politis had targeted Bennett to take over from Stuart, who was sacked last month after the club failed to reach the finals for the second straight season, however the long-serving Brisbane coach pulled the pin on any plans to move to Sydney yesterday.

Bennett told Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen he would be seeing out the final three seasons of his contract, forcing the Roosters to fast-track moves for a fallback option. Yesterday, Anderson met with Bouris, the Wizard Home Loans boss, in the Wizard offices in Sydney.

The announcement will not only help the Roosters move forward - it will no doubt help the Broncos in their finals campaign, with the focus now to be taken off Bennett and his coaching future.

Anderson is due to leave Australia today for a business trip in India.

Rayzr
15-09-06, 05:51 PM
Omg .

Oh well i dont care about the Roosters

DeeGan
15-09-06, 05:53 PM
Interesting move. The Sydney Roosters demand success, 'Opes' is a stubborn old man who will not react well to any BS treatment from the powers to be - watch out Gould if you start throwing knives, Anderson will throw them right back ;)

Titanium_BD1103
15-09-06, 05:55 PM
Interesting move. The Sydney Roosters demand success, 'Opes' is a stubborn old man who will not react well to any BS treatment from the powers to be - watch out Gould if you start throwing knives, Anderson will throw them right back ;)

I forgot to mention that...

Source: 2SM Talkin Sport

BRAD FITTLER IS THE ASSISTANT COACH

This means that Chris Anderson is really only going to be there to lead the side around for a little while whilst he also trains Fittler to be the future Roosters Coach... expect that in 2 years time, Fittler will be the coach of the Roosters.

Capital_Shark
15-09-06, 05:58 PM

Anderson didn't have full support of the board at Cronulla, so couldn't carry out his entire plan. Given that and the fact his contract was cut short, I wouldn't judge Anderson too much on his time at the Sharks.

And like BDT_311 said, no one has been overly successful at the Sharks. Even super coach Jack Gibson could get us a flag, and is quoted for the pearler "waiting for Cronulla to win a premiership is like leaving the porch light on for Harrold Holt".

Grimmace
15-09-06, 06:24 PM
Chris Anderson to coach Roosters: report
Friday, September 15, 2006 - 6:02 PM

Former Kangaroos coach Chris Anderson will coach the Roosters for the next two NRL seasons, the Ten Network reported on Friday.

Anderson has had premiership success as coach of the Bulldogs and Melbourne Storm and is also a former Cronulla coach.

Former Roosters skipper Brad Fittler has been named as his assistant.

Source: AAP

Rayzr
15-09-06, 06:49 PM
Nice hope fitler replaces him very sooon..

Grimmace
15-09-06, 06:57 PM
Anderson new Roosters coach
Exclusive by Phil Rothfield

September 15, 2006 12:00

THE Sydney Roosters have have signed former premiership winning coach Chris Anderson on a two-year deal to replace Ricky Stuart.

Anderson signed the contract with the Roosters this afternoon before flying overseas on a business trip.

He will return in two weeks to commence with the Roosters. Anderson has won premierships with the Melbourne Storm and the Bulldogs. He is returning to the NRL three years after he was sacked by the Cronulla Sharks.

Former Australian captain and Roosters legend Brad Fittler will be his assistant.

Roosters Chairman Nick Politis was enthusiastic about the appointment:

?Chris?s appointment follows a detailed selection process over many weeks, '' he said today.

?Chris brings with him a wealth of coaching and playing experience.

?Above this is his outstanding record as a mentor to young players in their rugby league careers.
?Naturally, with Chris? experience and success comes an ability to develop a winning culture at the Roosters.

?I am also pleased to announce that Brad Fittler will join Chris as his Assistant Coach
Source: Daily Telgegraph

Darren Lockyer
16-09-06, 08:41 AM
bit of a suprise to me actually

zacaroo
16-09-06, 10:00 AM
they got him, i couldnt see bennett coaching them, i hate the roosters, and manly

Dakink
16-09-06, 11:42 AM
For mine a smart buy. Though he is stubborn he is good and getting results from struggling teams. Wont let Politis and Gould throw there weight around or they will be coachless mid season.