PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi's Name Train on Squad

Grimmace
06-09-06, 01:30 PM
Kiwi's Name Train on Squad
Wednesday, September 6, 2006 - 11:26 AM

New Zealand Rugby League chairman Sel Bennett has today confirmed a 19-man train-on squad for the Kiwis? Gillette Tri-Nations campaign and the New Zealand A side?s clash with Australia A.

In total 11 Warriors players - including hooker Nathan Fein - have been named in the initial squad.

Kiwis coach Brian McClennan said Fein, who has played for the Queensland State of Origin side, had earned his selection.

?Nathan has been the number one starting hooker for the Warriors this season,? he said.

?His Nana was born in Wanganui so he is eligible through parentage.

?It actually wouldn?t have been long and he would have been eligible through residency as well.

?His form has been very good this year and he?s pledged his allegiance to the Kiwis. He was very close to making the Queensland side but he?s chosen to play for the Kiwis over that.

?It shows you how much he loves our country and how much he loves the culture of the people. It?s a positive step.?

McClennan made it very clear the door was not closed on any player.

?We have kept the squad tight at the moment,? he said.

?Once we have confirmed fitness and seen who becomes available as clubs exit the play-offs, we?ll make further judgements about who might be needed for the final mix.

?The squad that we?ve picked is a little different from last year.

?There?s an age limit ? a youth policy ? in the New Zealand A side this year.

?Last year we were able to pick a broader base of players because it was open.

The only player not considered for selection in the initial train-on squad from the 2005 Gillette Tri-Nations series squad is North Queensland Cowboys hooker David Faiumu who requires surgery on a groin injury.

The players named in this squad have two weeks off training before they get back into business.

This will also give the Kiwis and New Zealand A staff a chance to assess the medical reports of all the players named.

?The guys are getting a couple of weeks refresher break and after that we?ll be able to confirm things a bit more,? he said.

?We?ll get the medical reports back from the clubs in that time and find out what medical issues the players have.

?We?ll find out more about the extent of some injuries and what rehab is required.?

The train-on squad is:

Patrick Ah Van, Louis Anderson, Nathan Fein, Epalahame Lauaki, Simon Mannering, Sam Rapira, Jerome Ropati, Evarn Tuimavave, Manu Vatuvei, Brent Webb, Ruben Wiki (NZ Warriors).

Iosia Soliola (Roosters)

Frank Pritchard, Tony Puletua (Panthers)

Nigel Vagana (Sharks)

David Fa?alogo (Rabbitohs)

Dene Halatau, Paul Whatuira, Rangi Chase (Tigers).

Source: NRL

Hoppy2007Dragons
06-09-06, 09:14 PM
A pretty good squad, will get stornger with some players from the curent finalists, like eastwood and tupo.

BigRed10
07-09-06, 08:46 PM
The Kiwis look to have a strong side for the Tri Nations, and they will be even stronger that Sonny Bill Williams is available this year..
Though they don't have good halfbacks, unless Stacey Jones makes a come back to represent the Kiwis?

I hope Jeremy Smith keeps his form with Parramatta and earns a call up.

Asotasi
Fien
Wiki
SBW
Kidwell
Frank Pritchard or Tony Puletua

That pack will be a force to beat.

Go_The_Doggies
08-09-06, 02:16 PM
TBH i would rather have seen Hohaia there instead of Fien. But. I trust Bluey :)

Also pretty glad Dene was picked again. Was born here, in my city lol! :D

TITANS007
11-09-06, 10:46 AM
?His form has been very good this year and he?s pledged his allegiance to the Kiwis. He was very close to making the Queensland side but he?s chosen to play for the Kiwis over that"

Ha ha! They kidding aren't they? Close to making QLD side? No where near making QLD side IMO

bigpaddy
11-09-06, 01:05 PM
?Ha ha! They kidding aren't they? Close to making QLD side? No where near making QLD side IMO

I agree what a joke as if anyone could replace smith. Id choose PJ Marsh as backup hooker anyway

jake86
12-09-06, 03:22 PM
I agree what a joke as if anyone could replace smith. Id choose PJ Marsh as backup hooker anyway

In game 3 when they they were thinking of putting berrigan in the centres, he was one of the players with a chance being the backup hooker i think

Pretty good looking squad