View Full Version : RD 26: Tigers vs Rabbitohs

Queenslander
29-08-06, 08:05 PM
WESTS TIGERS v SOUTH SYDNEY RABBITOHS
Sunday September 3rd at Leichhardt Oval, 3pm

Referee: Tony De Las Heras

Team Notes:

Tigers

Injuries sent the Tigers? season into a downward spiral and they have only one win to show for their past six matches.

The Tigers have enjoyed a dominant record in recent times, winning the past three clashes by a combined tally of 142-30.

Rabbitohs

The Rabbitohs have fared better, winning 2 out of the last 6

Nathan Merritt will be aiming to place an exclamation point on his season?s tryscoring haul and will be searching for opportunities all afternoon.

TIGERS:

Shannon McDonnell,
Daniel Fitzhenry,
Dean Collis,
Ben Jeffery,
Chris Lawrence,
Shane Elford,
Scott Prince (capt),
Todd Payten,
Robbie Farah,
John Skandalis,
Anthony Laffranchi,
Ben Galea,
Dene Halatau.

Interchange:

Chris Heighington,
Taniela Tuiaki,
Ryan O'Hara,
Bronson Harrison,
Jarrod Saffy (one to be omitted).

RABBITOHS:

David Peachey,
Nathan Merritt,
Yileen Gordon,
Germaine Paulson,
Paul Mellor,
Trent Young,
Joe Williams,
Peter Cusack,
Mark Minichiello,
Scott Geddes,
David Faalogo,
Joe Galuvao,
Shannan McPherson.

Interchange:

Jaiman Lowe,
Manase Manuokafoa,
Fetuli Talanoa,
Kane Cleal.

***Please use this thread for game day spoilers***

Poida
29-08-06, 08:30 PM
tigers by 20

Hoppy2007Dragons
29-08-06, 10:06 PM
Souths by 8

TITANS007
30-08-06, 09:14 AM
It will be a sentimental game for the Tigers boys that are moving on to new clubs. Just think, after this game, Prince can start calling himself a TITAN!! I like it!!!

Eel 33
30-08-06, 09:19 AM
Gotta laugh. The Tigers don't have a good record against Souths over the last few years, particularly at Leichhardt Oval. But that shouldn't stop them this time, they will want to send those moving on in a fitting way. Tigers by heaps.

JoeMomma
30-08-06, 01:53 PM
Gotta laugh. The Tigers don't have a good record against Souths over the last few years, particularly at Leichhardt Oval. But that shouldn't stop them this time, they will want to send those moving on in a fitting way. Tigers by heaps.

You do realise in the last 5 games against souths, tigers average 46 points?

2 of them at leichardt.

Research...try it.

JoeMomma
30-08-06, 01:54 PM
It will be a sentimental game for the Tigers boys that are moving on to new clubs. Just think, after this game, Prince can start calling himself a TITAN!! I like it!!!

and can kiss any succes (read playing with Benji) goodbye aswell.

Poida
30-08-06, 02:44 PM
i change my tip to souths by 4 as i see them upsetting an injury filled tigers outfit

Grimmace
02-09-06, 05:14 PM
Scott Prince scared of losing to Souths
Saturday, September 2, 2006 - 11:38 AM

Wests Tigers captain Scott Prince cringes with fear at the thought of losing to South Sydney in Sunday's NRL clash at Leichhardt Oval.

It isn't that Prince disrespects his opposition, he just knows that a loss would cap a horrible NRL title defence in which the Tigers slid out of finals contention and ended their season - and his Tigers career - with a defeat to the wooden spooners.

"I'm just not even contemplating that," said Prince.

"We just got to go out there and win. I know a lot of people are talking up our chances and want us to really give it to the Rabbitohs.

"We have just got to win, not only for ourselves but for the fans out there, basically give them something to cheer about in the off-season."

Tigers coach Tim Sheens shares the sentiment, pleading with his young team to show some spirit in order to farewell four of the club's best servants.

Prince and Anthony Laffranchi leave to join new franchise Gold Coast Titans while prop John Skandalis, the last member of the merger club's inaugural squad, and utility back Shane Elford are off to England to join Huddersfield.

They have a combined 396 NRL games between them, Sunday's clash bringing that figure to 400, and Sheens said the younger players owe a lot to the quartet and they deserved a winning send off.

"We owe our fans and ourselves a good performance to finish the year off," said Sheens.

"Our main aim is to finish for the club, the fans and the players who are going to be leaving the club this year with a solid performance.

"Whether it be Melbourne or Souths, it does not matter, it is a game we want to win."

The Tigers haven't won since round 21, and have only once strung successive wins together this year (rounds 12-13), but Sheens says the premier's indifferent year has more to do with the opposition than his side's poor form.

With stars Benji Marshall, Brett Hodgson and Paul Whatuira spending extended periods injured, Sheens believes Wests have performed admirably in 2006 but just haven't been able to "ambush" sides like they did in last year's premiership charge.

"You can handle injuries but serious long term injuries to key players have hurt us," said Sheens.

"Every win we have had this year has been a good win. Last year I thought we ambushed a few sides who were not really ready to play us whereas this year as title defenders they have come out and really worked hard on us.

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger so hopefully next year we will be a lot stronger."

Ending the year on a high won't be any easy task either on Sunday.

Wooden spooners Souths will be pumped to farewell dumped head coach Shaun McRae with a rare win.

McRae, dumped in favour of Jason Taylor for next season, has overseen a turbulent two years at the club and was looking forward to the prospect of coaching next year's top recruits.

But betrayed by club officials who promised his job was safe for 2007, McRae is expected to walk away from the club and not accept an offer to become the club's director of football operations for the next two seasons.

Rabbitohs captain Peter Cusack said the players' needed to aim up because they are partly responsible for "Bomber" being shown the door at Redfern.

"We're out there missing the tackles or dropping the ball. It's a team sport, so I suppose we do feel some responsibility," Cusack said.

South Sydney fullback David Peachey trained Saturday and although his calf injury is not 100 per cent, he is expected to play.

The Tigers will trim their five-man bench on Sunday.

Source: AAP

jenny
02-09-06, 08:11 PM
Souths by 8 :ok: please God!

Grimmace
02-09-06, 08:19 PM
Souths by 8 :ok: please God!
No thou shall recieve the wooden spoon in true fashion
God says tigers by 46 points

jenny
02-09-06, 08:21 PM
No thou shall recieve the wooden spoon in true fashion
God says tigers by 46 points
LOL.....don't :mad: Tigers will lose :ok:

Grimmace
02-09-06, 08:27 PM
sorry my child god has made up his mind tigers by 46 points end of story

Poida
02-09-06, 08:31 PM
ill laugh if its a draw

jenny
02-09-06, 08:39 PM
ill laugh if its a draw
A draw would be better than a loss :dead: :)

Manly Boy
03-09-06, 11:07 AM
Tigers should win, and i tipped them to win so i hope they do... but i hope that the Rabbits play a ghood game because they need a win every now and then... plus i hope that the coach leaves on a high knowing his team won their last game...

Poida
03-09-06, 04:56 PM
tigers smashed souths 52-18

Grimmace
03-09-06, 04:57 PM
see jenny i told you souths would die today never underestimate the power of god

DeeGan
03-09-06, 04:57 PM
Nice send off for Prince, Laffranchi and Skando ... on to greener pastures next season though for the two Titans bound boys ;)

Poida
03-09-06, 04:59 PM
hey yeah i forgot about prince
good game from tigers

mb63
03-09-06, 05:09 PM
Sounds like an ordinary performance by Souths.Better personnel can't come soon enough for them.

jenny
03-09-06, 05:11 PM
see jenny i told you souths would die today never underestimate the power of god
*uuggggggghhhhhhhh* i've desensitised.....what a nightmare :nope: anyway i'm over it already...But i can dream, cant i :?)

Darren Lockyer
03-09-06, 05:13 PM
both teams will be looking to next year now

Poida
03-09-06, 05:13 PM
at least the season is done for em so they can prepare for next year.

jenny
03-09-06, 05:42 PM
both teams will be looking to next year now
Yes dazza..they will be...so will i! I'm over this one :dead:

jenny
03-09-06, 05:43 PM
at least the season is done for em so they can prepare for next year.
I bet their glad too CT :ok:

Poida
03-09-06, 05:45 PM
well considering the players theyll have they should be happy for next year

jenny
03-09-06, 06:09 PM
well considering the players theyll have they should be happy for next year
Yep.. CT you are giving me hope too ;)

Grimmace
03-09-06, 07:16 PM
Tigers savage Rabbitohs
September 3, 2006 - 4:56PM

South Sydney saved one of their worst performances of the year for last, beaten 52-18 by reigning premiers Wests Tigers in its NRL clash at Leichhardt Oval today.

In both clubs' final match of the season, the Tigers played like a premiership-winning side while the Rabbitohs looked very much the wooden spooners with a disjointed effort in coach Shaun McRae's final match after two years at the helm.

It was the second time the Tigers had flogged South Sydney this year, today's effort not quite matching the 44-4 drubbing in round 12 or the New Zealand Warriors' 66-0 massacre of the Rabbitohs in round 16.

Tigers interchange forward Chris Heighington and winger Daniel Fitzhenry both scored two tries, while skipper Scott Prince and hooker Robbie Farah starred for the home side in the nine tries to three rout.

In a day of farewells for the Tigers - with Prince, Shane Elford, Anthony Laffranchi and John Skandalis all playing their final games for the club - Wests dominated the match with a near faultless first half for a 30-0 lead at the break exciting the crowd of 18,440.

The cheers only got louder two minutes into the second half when Heighington popped a miracle pass for Skandalis to score his first try of the season.

The sole remaining member of the merger club's inaugural side, Skandalis is a crowd favourite and he received a standing ovation when he was replaced a few minutes later and again when he returned for the final five minutes of play.

The entire crowd rose as one to cheer "Skando, Skando" when the big prop was given a penalty shot 35m out in the final minute - and although it was sweet off the boot his shot narrowly missed.

Elford, who is following Skandalis to Huddersfield next year, also joined in the try scoring frenzy when he clutched a chip kick from mid-air to run 40m to the line in the 60th minute.

Shannon McDonnell, Todd Payten and Farah all scored for the Tigers while David Peachey, Scott Geddes and Yileen Gordon crossed for the Rabbitohs in the second half.

The big victory ensured Wests Tigers jumped past Penrith to finish in 11th for the season while the Rabbitohs finish last with just three wins for the year.

AAP

Poida
03-09-06, 07:47 PM
Yep.. CT you are giving me hope too ;)
nah just simple words lol

jenny
04-09-06, 09:35 AM
nah just simple words lol
it still gave me hope :clap:
My husband said it's the WORST game he's watched :dead:

Grimmace
04-09-06, 09:37 AM
Oh it was that bad so i just watched the simpsons instead it was a pathetic game of footy but anyways souths will come good next year