PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Nations: How Joey beat horror slump

DeeGan
11-10-05, 11:10 AM
How Joey beat horror slump
By Dean Ritchie
October 11, 2005

AUSTRALIA halfback Andrew Johns revealed for the first time yesterday the genuine fears he harboured just months ago of never representing the Kangaroos again.

His coach at Newcastle, Michael Hagan, also recalled the day in March when he believed Johns first experienced concerns over his future.

While desperately attempting to lift the Knights out of the club's horror rut earlier this year, Johns said he felt his Test days were all but over.

It has now been two years since Johns played for the Kangaroos but yesterday he looked comfortable once again in a green and gold jumper.

Asked if there were periods when he felt his Australia career was over, Johns said: "There were definitely times, especially at the start of the year when I was playing badly.

"The last thing on my mind then was playing for Australia.

"You never take the (Australia) jersey for granted."

Johns said his confidence was down during the Knights' horror stretch.

"I was playing awful," Johns said. "We weren't going well at club level, I think we had lost 13 matches.

"My confidence was down, as was the confidence of the team. It affected my performances.

"But we turned it around over the last few months of the season."

Hagan said Johns was carrying injuries early this year and remembers a match against Canberra at Canberra Stadium, which Newcastle lost 39-14.

"After that game he had some concerns about whether he would get back," said Hagan, this year's Queensland State of Origin coach.

"It was the first time I thought he had real doubts about his own ability.

"But being picked for Australia is a fitting reward for all the hard work he put in over the past 18 months.

"He has come back fit and strong - I was hoping he wouldn't have come back that early though to destroy Queensland."

Johns will be Australia's halfback when coach Wayne Bennett names his side today for Saturday night's opening Tri-Nations Test against New Zealand at Telstra Stadium in Sydney.

Skipper and five-eighth Darren Lockyer remains in doubt with a hamstring injury, as does centre Matt Cooper.

"It's been a while since I have played for Australia with guys like Darren Lockyer," Johns said.

"Playing in England (during a recent stint with Warrington) has given me a taste of the crowds over there - they sing and they chant. It's out of this world.

"I can't wait to get back there. I feel a bit jet-lagged, but I had dinner with the guys last night and you know it's the real deal when you put the green and gold on."

Johns said Australia would face a monumental assignment during the tournament given the continuing improvement in Great Britain's football.

"They will field a bigger forward pack than ours," said Johns.

"New Zealand will also have a massive forward pack.

"We need to control the ball. If we don't it will be a tough night for us."

The Daily Telegraph

Was there any ever doubt this 'once in a lifetime' player would make it back to his best? IMO no, though he did have his knockers.

Champions do what mere mortals are not able to, they defy logic and make their critics eat humble pie more often than not. Johns in 2005 did just that having one of his best individual seasons despite playing in the wooden spoon winning team.

It is scary to think Johns was amongst ALL major individual awards in 2005 despite missing 6-7 games for Newcastle with a broken jaw.

Can't wait to see the great man in the green and gold jersey again.

DeeGan

Dakink
11-10-05, 11:46 AM
My favourite player of all time. Has had plenty of opportunity o become arrogant and self centred but has never seemed to. Takes 'Reg' in good style and has shown with his tough comeback that he values his time in the game and recognises his value to the game.

The best player I have ever seen. Today is a different era but he would be up there with the all time greats

Steelers
11-10-05, 09:32 PM
He was always going to get back into the green and gold. If the selectors can pick most of a side on reputation then even if Joey was playing like crud all year, he would still be halfback. But he played amazing this year and deserves to be there.

Super Cronk
11-10-05, 10:48 PM
Cant wait to see him in the gold and green...where he belongs!

ridgey
12-10-05, 07:01 PM
absolute champion,1 of the best the game has seen.