PDA

View Full Version : Warriors near bomb blast

Super Cronk
10-10-05, 10:30 AM
Police want Warriors coach Ivan Cleary and his assistant Kevin Campion to contact them after the two revealed they were caught in the vicinity of last weekend's terrorist bombings in Bali.

The pair was at the Hard Rock Caf? only 100m from the horrific blast.

They had been dining at one of the restaurants that was hit in Jimbaran Bay the night before the explosion.

"We don't want to say too much about it," Campion told the Sunday Star Times.

"We got out of there and feel very lucky."

New Zealand's police in Indonesia, Superintendent Athol Soper said Cleary and his companions should respond to police calls for all tourists who were in the vicinity to come forward if they had relevant information about the attacks. Details could be given in confidence.

"The important thing is for investigators to get all relevant information, not only for this case but to also to help predict or prevent further incidents, not only here, but around the world."

Cleary and Campion were on a week long holiday in Bali with their families.

New Warriors CEO Wayne Scurrah said the club's football manager Don Mann had received text messages from the pair straight after the bombings reporting that they were alright.

The club's public relations man, Richard Becht, yesterday tried to shut down the story, denying Cleary and Campion were near the blast.

"They don't want to know about it, they're not interested," Becht said.

Soper said police in New Zealand and Australia could take the information and forward it to Indonesian investigators.

Sportal.com.au

Queenslander
10-10-05, 10:43 AM
I wonder why clubs would consider that place as a holiday spot, its far too dangerous........imagine if they lost an entire team in the blast, the club would be ruined

Steelers
10-10-05, 11:31 AM
I wonder why clubs would consider that place as a holiday spot, its far too dangerous........imagine if they lost an entire team in the blast, the club would be ruined

It isn't that dangerous. There have only been 2 blasts there in 3 years, so what are the odds that you will be caught up in one? It is a great place and many teams go there for their trip away still.

Dakink
10-10-05, 12:59 PM
No more dangerous than walking in London. I will still being going back there.

DIEHARD
10-10-05, 04:55 PM
God the bombing was tragic alone but losing any league players would have been devastating and brought the terrorism close to home for everyone.

I have no idea why they'd go there. I wouldn't even go there before the Bale bombing, let alone afterwards...

Terrible events. But glad they all got out safe.

kazza broncos chick
10-10-05, 10:47 PM
I was in London in June for the Ashes cricket tournament and I was just around the corner from the bomb in the bus in London, really hits home when you see stuff like that, will be having second thoughts before going anywhere after seeing what I saw over there.

Super Cronk
13-10-05, 11:17 PM
It isn't that dangerous. There have only been 2 blasts there in 3 years, so what are the odds that you will be caught up in one? It is a great place and many teams go there for their trip away still.

Actually watching dateline today they said there has been hundreds of terriosts attacks in that country...not bali its selve but in the entire country....sure bali might be a little safer but if you have that many terriosts and explosions over there then it shouldnt be really counted as being safe. Its a good place to go and most of the people are great....but there are safety issues esp these days and esp when us westerners are the targets of these animals.

Moejoe
13-10-05, 11:22 PM
The bomb blast were a tragic event dont get me wrong. But things like this should not stop anyone from traveling. The times we live in now the people behind these attacks want us to be afraid of leving our front doors. The way i look at it is, Go out, See the world because every where is a target for terrorism and we are no safer here at home as we are in a foriegn country.

Super Cronk
13-10-05, 11:24 PM
The bomb blast were a tragic event dont get me wrong. But things like this should not stop anyone from traveling. The times we live in now the people behind these attacks want us to be afraid of leving our front doors. The way i look at it is, Go out, See the world because every where is a target for terrorism and we are no safer here at home as we are in a foriegn country.

thats true in a way. But the terriosts dont care if we are afraid or not...they will keep killing...no matter what. but your lowering your chances by staying in australia, we dont have the same amount of terriosts as they have over there, we have way better secruity and we dont have hundreds of terriosts attacks a year here.

Dakink
14-10-05, 09:37 AM
Its true that there have been a lot of terrorist atacks, but have you ever really looked at the size and distribution of Indo????

Provinces\Islands like Aceh etc are responsible for 99% of them