PDA

View Full Version : Australia: Test chance for Cronk

Queenslander
19-08-06, 10:11 AM
Test chance for Cronk
Josh Massoud
August 19, 2006 12:00am

IN-FORM Melbourne halfback Cooper Cronk has emerged as a shock leading contender for the vacant Australian No. 7 jersey.

Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart this week named Cronk on a shortlist of three halves in line to take over from Andrew Johns for the October/November Tri Nations series.

Cronk has capped a remarkable 2006 with the Storm to be jockeying for a start with Manly's Matt Orford and injured North Queensland star Johnathan Thurston.

Penrith skipper Craig Gower and Wests Tigers half Scott Prince appear to be the only other chances.

Stuart, however, confirmed Melbourne's irresistible form ? combined with the fact Cronk and Orford are likely to be the only candidates on show in the finals ? has the 22-year-old Brisbane junior at the forefront.

"You have to acknowledge the fact he's in a very important position in a team that's going very well," Stuart said. "He's directed them around the park well. He's a major part of where they are at the moment.

"(Playing finals football) is a huge advantage, that's been proven over the years. Statistically, the majority of the team has been picked from semi-final players. They've got the last standing rights to put their performances on the board."

Stuart rated Cronk and Orford, neither of whom have played State of Origin, "the form halfbacks of the competition".

Ironically, the Storm was expected to struggle this season with Cronk taking the reins from Orford, who switched to Brookvale after five impressive seasons in Melbourne.

Now, despite playing just 54 NRL games, Cronk is eyeballing his predecessor for national honours as Melbourne canters toward the minor premiership.

"It's been an outstanding rise to the level he's at now," Stuart said. "Even his coach Craig Bellamy has come out and said he did not expect him to rise to this level so quickly."

Chairman of selectors Bob McCarthy described Cronk's elevation as "super". "You could have had him during the State of Origin series ? Queensland has got so many good halfbacks," he said.

The Maroons' incumbent Thurston is still in the frame despite being unlikely to play again before the series because of a knee injury.

On Wednesday night, Stuart spoke with Thurston to assure the reigning Dally M medallist he would be given every chance.

"He basically wanted to know if he needed to play a game of football (to be considered)," Stuart said. "I told him it would be stupid to rush back and reinjure the knee.

"I think he's earned te right to be named in the train-on squad and if he's fit and ready then we will make a decision from there."

The Courier Mail

Eel 33
19-08-06, 10:16 AM
If he steers the Storm to the Premiership, he has to be in the squad. What other half this year can claim to have done so much but not been recognised for his efforts??? Cronk is the man!!!

DeeGan
19-08-06, 10:32 AM
Cooper Cronk (Laurie Daley's "makeshift halfback" - please stop referring to him as that Loz) is definately a promising prospect for future representative jerseys. Can he be our Australian halfback in 2006? I don't think so.

Australian selectors are a conservative bunch - I take your mind back to the Tri-Nations tour last year where a guy like Skandalis was overlooked in favour of Mason who played like a donkey in 2005 after coming back from injury.

I think Thurston will be the halfback for the first Test - he has proven he up to the task and despite the injury, I think we will roll the dice there. Scott Prince's form has been hot/cold in 2005, as has Gower's form ... it will be a delicate situation and we will be hoping the great Darren Lockyer is fit and firing come the tri-nations.

Others to be considered; Matt Orford (if he can come up big in the finals - still a lingering doubt about his ability to perform in the big games though his game vs Johns last week showed a lot of improvement), Brent Sherwin, Brett Kimmorley (never lets Australia down) and a bolter for mine is Matt Head.

The finals becomes a selection trial in many ways for a couple of positions - may the best man win. Whoever wins the job will not let Australia down.

philstorm
19-08-06, 10:36 AM
As much as i'd love it to be Cronk, the Storm would have to win the premiership for him to even make the squad.

As DeeGan rightly said, the Australian selectors are a conservative bunch who would choose Gower (out of form in a poor side at Penrith) over players like Sherwin, Cronk and Orford - all of whom have been in great form.

Smith, King, Inglis and possibly Hoffman are the only Storm chances for the Australian squad this year.

DeeGan
19-08-06, 10:48 AM
As DeeGan rightly said, the Australian selectors are a conservative bunch who would choose Gower (out of form in a poor side at Penrith) over players like Sherwin, Cronk and Orford - all of whom have been in great form.

Smith, King, Inglis and possibly Hoffman are the only Storm chances for the Australian squad this year.

Exactly right. The selectors rightly or wrongly protest "he was selected as he has done the job before" each and every year.

As for the Melbourne chances for the tri-nations I hope your right though against, the "conservative" nature of selectors forces me to remain hesitant when it comes to Cameron Smith and Ryan Hoffman.

If Cameron Smith is overlooked I will write a letter of protest to the ARL/NRL. He has earnt his spot in the squad and you could argue he is the best hooker in the game right now. The fact he can fill in a five-eight or half makes him an ideal squad member in place of Craig Wing who is suffering in a struggling Roosters team.

Ryan Hoffman is a guy I love to watch play. I am hoping he is this seasons Ben Creagh when it comes to the tri-nations. He would improve leaps and bounds in elite company. Fingers crossed on his selection.

King and Inglis pick themselves.

Twixx
19-08-06, 12:02 PM
I found this on Melbourne's homepage.

Source: Daily Telegraph

MELBOURNE halfback Cooper Cronk has emerged as a shock leading contender for the vacant Australian No. 7 jersey, The Saturday Daily Telegraph can reveal. Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart this week named Cronk on a shortlist of three halves in line to take over from Andrew Johns for the October/November Tri Nations series.

Here's the full story
Here (http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/default.asp?sec=1&ssec=1)

DeeGan
19-08-06, 01:35 PM
The stakes have risen for finals football for a lot of players on the cusp of tri-nations selection ... should make for good viewing :D

Poida
19-08-06, 04:54 PM
yeh cooper cronk has played well enough.
he should be considered for origin if thurston isnt chosen

Darren Lockyer
19-08-06, 09:23 PM
He is definately a strong contender

unknown
22-08-06, 07:42 PM
Cronk is playing well, but i dont think they would pick him over experience like gower
As long as they dont pick finch, i dont care

Super Cronk
22-08-06, 07:45 PM
I doubt Cronk will get picked at #7 for Australia mainly due to the selectors prolly going for experince.

BUT...if Gower was to get injured or for some reason miss out and Cronk has a great finals series then i think he is definately a chance of playing. If he improves and continues over the years i think we will be seeing him at rep level consistently for his state and country.

Chaos
22-08-06, 08:30 PM
My rating in order

Prince is by far the best half back in the NRL (behind Johns of course)
Kimmorey would be my next choice but is disliked by certain parts of the community
Cronk has a great game and is an up and comer
Thurston is a 5/8
Gower has a great defense and consistant but actually think his style suits the 5/8 role also

Orford has a great running game but not in the above class

Super Cronk
22-08-06, 09:17 PM
My rating in order

Kimmorey would be my next choice but is disliked by certain parts of the community
Thurston is a 5/8
Gower has a great defense and consistant but actually think his style suits the 5/8 role also

Is that bias there for Prince?

Poida
22-08-06, 09:18 PM
My rating in order

Thurston is a 5/8

thurston is a 5/8 who is also great playing halfback

DeeGan
23-08-06, 05:30 AM
Scott Prince in 2006 has been disappointing in all but a handful of games for the Tigers - he is not worthy of ranking number two behind Johns in the halfback stakes IMO.

Titanium_BD1103
23-08-06, 10:33 AM
Agreed there Deegan, here's hoping 2007 is a lot better for all our sakes in terms of Prince.... :D :D

I reckon the list has to go like this ATM

Orford- Will have finals game time to play around with and is a decent option for the team, question of his big game attitude is a worry, but he will most probably be picked if he can prove himself in the finals.

Cronk- Great option, underdone a bit with only one season at halfback so far, but he has shown his stripes and deserves to be in the running, could give Orford a real run for his money.

Thurston- Best Halfback in the game and if not injured would be first choice, however like with Hunt, and I agree this with all players, you need more than a few games back in a season after injury before being shoved into rep duty.... and worse yet unlike Hunt, Thurston will have none if he gets fit, can't be chosen on that reason alone IMO... :(

unknown
23-08-06, 06:11 PM
yeh agreed with above, orford has proven to be consistent and shud get a chance
prince has been **** this year bar a couple of games

Chaos
26-08-06, 03:58 PM
Is that bias there for Prince?

All our opinions are bias Super Cronk...that's what makes them opinions.
Prince has strong qualities, in what I believe makes a great half back.

Deegan,
As far as 2006 is concerned...have a look at the poor quality backs playing outside Prince at the moment...Tigers have nearly lost there whole back line.
He played well in the games I saw the Tigers play but his outside backs failed to put points on the scoreboard.

Don't confuse the half backs job to create opportunity with the outside backs job to score tries

Tigers were strong last year becuase of the Hooker-half-5/8-fullback combination.
Farrah, Hodgson and Marshall have all been injured lately and Prince has been mixing his responsibilities around the field.

I think it is a harsh to be dissapointed in Prince's performance in 2006.
I think the Tigers poor results have come from there unfortunate injury list.

DeeGan
26-08-06, 05:07 PM
Deegan,
As far as 2006 is concerned...have a look at the poor quality backs playing outside Prince at the moment...Tigers have nearly lost there whole back line.
He played well in the games I saw the Tigers play but his outside backs failed to put points on the scoreboard.

Don't confuse the half backs job to create opportunity with the outside backs job to score tries

Excuses are like ... wait ... I won't finish that one on this forum.

Chaos, I am fully aware of what the job of a halfback is and in 2006 Prince barring a game or two here or there has not performed anywhere near the level he is capable of. This is why he is not worthy of such a high ranking in 2006. To suggest he is only behind Johns is absurd IMO if we are looking at the season overall.

I will quote the man himself from the RLW:

"I made the decision to join the Titans and I have no regrets. I don't think it affected the team, and as for me, I've had an up-and-down season, I have to admit"

Scott Prince when in form and when the pieces to the puzzle are in place can dominate football games, no doubt about it, though this season through circumstance he has not been able too consistently and his form again is not worthy of such a ranking.

Chaos you're a Prince fan, the regulars here know that, though bias is preventing you from making impartial opinion on the player here.

Is there anything wrong with that? Hell no.

Hoppy2007Dragons
26-08-06, 05:13 PM
gotta be Orford, he deserves a crack and has shown good form this season.

Chaos
26-08-06, 06:06 PM
Excuses are like ... wait ... I won't finish that one on this forum.

Chaos, I am fully aware of what the job of a halfback is and in 2006 Prince barring a game or two here or there has not performed anywhere near the level he is capable of. This is why he is not worthy of such a high ranking in 2006. To suggest he is only behind Johns is absurd IMO if we are looking at the season overall.

I will quote the man himself from the RLW:

"I made the decision to join the Titans and I have no regrets. I don't think it affected the team, and as for me, I've had an up-and-down season, I have to admit"

Scott Prince when in form and when the pieces to the puzzle are in place can dominate football games, no doubt about it, though this season through circumstance he has not been able too consistently and his form again is not worthy of such a ranking.

Chaos you're a Prince fan, the regulars here know that, though bias is preventing you from making impartial opinion on the player here.

Is there anything wrong with that? Hell no.

Firstly, I can understand others not ranking him highly as I do...I am bias because I believe Prince will best serve Australia in a test...I don't believe the player with the last 5 good games should get the spot.

DeeGan,
Prince's satement above is mature in not blaming Tigers or anyone else for the Tigers poor form...he takes responsibilty and it was a mistake to drop him from the captaincy role.
Tiger fans will now blame him for the poor season as he is the one leaving next year.

I remember debating this before and it will always go back to the criteria for the Australian team selection.
Does the inform player get the spot?
Does in form mean the last 5 games...this season...since last test...this year and previous year...last five years.
Is it pick on a player that suits the rest of the team?
or the player with the most potential to beat the opposition?

BTW, Orford had a great game against the Bulldogs last night

DeeGan
29-08-06, 11:23 AM
Firstly, I can understand others not ranking him highly as I do...I am bias because I believe Prince will best serve Australia in a test...I don't believe the player with the last 5 good games should get the spot.

DeeGan,
Prince's satement above is mature in not blaming Tigers or anyone else for the Tigers poor form...he takes responsibilty and it was a mistake to drop him from the captaincy role.
Tiger fans will now blame him for the poor season as he is the one leaving next year.

I remember debating this before and it will always go back to the criteria for the Australian team selection.
Does the inform player get the spot?
Does in form mean the last 5 games...this season...since last test...this year and previous year...last five years.
Is it pick on a player that suits the rest of the team?
or the player with the most potential to beat the opposition?

BTW, Orford had a great game against the Bulldogs last night

Well we are not going to get anywhere here, I will leave it there. Prince is not deserving of getting anywhere near a green and gold jersey after his 2006 season. Good news for the Titans as he will report to pre-season training fresh and ready to make a run at Thurston's Queensland jumper.

Answer this, do you think Scott Prince will make the tri-nations squad and if so do you think he deserves to be Australian halfback ahead of Matt Orford?

TITANS007
29-08-06, 01:09 PM
You could look at it this way also. Prince was in outstanding form last year, and yet he still wasn't the first choice half back. They gave the deciding game's jumper to Gower, who absolutely did not deserve it. And it was prooved in Gower having a crap game(Among others), and they lost the series. They didn't have faith in Prince when he was at his best, so I doubt they'll have faith in him when he's had an up and down season.

I agree with Chaos in his statement on why he's had an up and down season too:
"As far as 2006 is concerned...have a look at the poor quality backs playing outside Prince at the moment...Tigers have nearly lost there whole back line.

Tigers were strong last year becuase of the Hooker-half-5/8-fullback combination.
Farrah, Hodgson and Marshall have all been injured lately and Prince has been mixing his responsibilities around the field.

I think it is a harsh to be dissapointed in Prince's performance in 2006.
I think the Tigers poor results have come from there unfortunate injury list."

Thurston should never have gotten the QLD jersey over Prince in 2005. Prince has always been, and IMO will always be better than Thurston in the no. 7 jersey. Thurston is a 6, not a 7. I think he is totally overrated and he should not be considered over Prince for this series, especially considering he has been out injured for some time. But selectors are notoriously pathetic in their decisions, so I won't be holding my breath.

On the bright side, at least Prince will be healthy and refreshed to start the season with us!!

Chaos
29-08-06, 08:34 PM
Answer this, do you think Scott Prince will make the tri-nations squad and if so do you think he deserves to be Australian halfback ahead of Matt Orford?

He'll probably not make the side because as Titans007 said "Prince was in outstanding form last year, and yet he still wasn't the first choice half back"

Answer this, do you think Gower deserved the halfback spot last year in front of Prince?

Hoppy2007Dragons
29-08-06, 09:58 PM
titans 007 gower is the nsw halfback

prince is the queensland halfback, he was overlooked by johanton thurston who at the time of origin was in good form and so was his club.

Darren Lockyer
30-08-06, 08:10 AM
turston or orford for me. Gower hasn't had a very good season personally

TITANS007
30-08-06, 09:04 AM
titans 007 gower is the nsw halfback

prince is the queensland halfback, he was overlooked by johanton thurston who at the time of origin was in good form and so was his club.

Yeh, I know that....I was talking about for the tri-nations spot last year.

DeeGan
30-08-06, 01:46 PM
Answer this, do you think Gower deserved the halfback spot last year in front of Prince?

Let's make it clear first off, Prince got his chance before Craig Gower did in last year's tri-nations series. Johns played the first two games, once he was ruled out of the UK leg of the tour, in came Prince and he struggled initially.

To answer your question, yes, Gower deserved and needed to come in to the Test side at halfback.

Prince made his debut versus Great Britain in the fourth test in rain soaked conditions. He was average and was not given ample chance to show his wears at halfback. It was not a debut to write home about.

Great Britain and New Zealand played the fifth test in which Bennett paired Gower with Prince in the halves (7. Gower, 6. Prince) where we defeated France 44-12. Gower starred as captain having a hand in three tries and scoring one himself. Prince was good notching up 16pts at five-eight.

The sixth test pitted us again Great Britain who had upset New Zealand giving them a chance to play the final versus the Kiwis if they were able to defeat us with a significant points differential to boot. Bennett made the smart decision of going with the more experienced Gower who was in better form than Prince on tour. Gower played awesome despite injurying himself in the warm up.

Gower earnt his spot in the tri-nations final with Barrett outside him and as we know, the team stunk. No need to go further. Would Prince of made a difference? No.

We aren't going to agree Chaos unfortunately.

Scott Prince is a fine player and I am over the moon to have a world class halfback at the Gold Coast Titans though he is no where near being the second best halfback in the competition. Whilst we are all entitled to an opinion, think otherwise is what I call "head in the sand" stuff.

JoeMomma
30-08-06, 02:17 PM
As much as i'd love it to be Cronk, the Storm would have to win the premiership for him to even make the squad.

Just look at the tigers last year, dominated the comp for 3 months, best F/A for a team in finals history ( 140 For 40 against) and only got 1 player in the squad.

Don't expect much, you'll be dissapointed.

Steelers
30-08-06, 04:47 PM
Just look at the tigers last year, dominated the comp for 3 months, best F/A for a team in finals history ( 140 For 40 against) and only got 1 player in the squad.

Don't expect much, you'll be dissapointed.

The difference is, the Storm have current rep players in there team, whereas last year the Tigers had no players with rep experience. Having a competition winning side with rep players in it is a selectors dream :p

philstorm
30-08-06, 07:45 PM
Need I mention one particular fact that a lot of people have overlooked?

Queensland won Origin this year ...

I don't think people appreciate how huge an impact this will have on selection ...

Chaos
30-08-06, 09:04 PM

Scott Prince is a fine player and I am over the moon to have a world class halfback at the Gold Coast Titans though he is no where near being the second best halfback in the competition.

DeeGan,
It is obvious I rate Scott Prince's ability higher then you do. I know you still rate him as a player but I feel you and a lot of others do under rate is ability in the halves.

You did mention his time at 5/8 and I can imagine Prince and Campbell swapping roles on the field while playing for the Titans.

TITANS007
31-08-06, 12:22 PM
DeeGan,
It is obvious I rate Scott Prince's ability higher then you do. I know you still rate him as a player but I feel you and a lot of others do under rate is ability in the halves.

You did mention his time at 5/8 and I can imagine Prince and Campbell swapping roles on the field while playing for the Titans.

I'm not so sure they would go well if they swapped roles. I think Prince plays better at half now that he has had a lot more experience there. He used to be a better 5/8, but I think he needs to be the main controller now.

TITANS007
31-08-06, 12:25 PM
Let's make it clear first off, Prince got his chance before Craig Gower did in last year's tri-nations series. Johns played the first two games, once he was ruled out of the UK leg of the tour, in came Prince and he struggled initially.

To answer your question, yes, Gower deserved and needed to come in to the Test side at halfback.

Prince made his debut versus Great Britain in the fourth test in rain soaked conditions. He was average and was not given ample chance to show his wears at halfback. It was not a debut to write home about.

Great Britain and New Zealand played the fifth test in which Bennett paired Gower with Prince in the halves (7. Gower, 6. Prince) where we defeated France 44-12. Gower starred as captain having a hand in three tries and scoring one himself. Prince was good notching up 16pts at five-eight.

The sixth test pitted us again Great Britain who had upset New Zealand giving them a chance to play the final versus the Kiwis if they were able to defeat us with a significant points differential to boot. Bennett made the smart decision of going with the more experienced Gower who was in better form than Prince on tour. Gower played awesome despite injurying himself in the warm up.

Gower earnt his spot in the tri-nations final with Barrett outside him and as we know, the team stunk. No need to go further. Would Prince of made a difference? No.

Scott Prince is a fine player and I am over the moon to have a world class halfback at the Gold Coast Titans though he is no where near being the second best halfback in the competition. Whilst we are all entitled to an opinion, think otherwise is what I call "head in the sand" stuff.

Exactly, Prince played well against France, but was not given a very good opportunity to shine against GB.

I think Gower is overrated at halfback. I think he is better suited to hooker.

Grimmace
02-09-06, 05:11 PM
Thurston eyes Australian jersey
Saturday, September 2, 2006 - 4:11 PM

North Queensland star Johnathan Thurston has his sights set on retaining his treasured Australian jersey after making a successful return from a knee injury on Friday night.

Thurston played a leading role in the Cowboys' final round 22-8 NRL win over Parramatta at Dairy Farmers Stadium despite it being his first game in six weeks.

The 23-year-old feared his season was over when he dislocated a kneecap and copped grade three medial ligament strain in round 20.

But Thurston was buoyed by the way his knee stood up against the Eels and took aim at the Kangaroos' vacant No.7 jersey.

Thurston, who made his international debut against New Zealand earlier this year, is locked in a tense four-way tussle for the right to replace Andrew Johns as Australian halfback in this year's Tri-Nations.

Melbourne's Cooper Cronk, Manly's Matt Orford, Penrith's Craig Gower and Thurston are set to duke it out for the coveted role.

Thurston said he was ready for another taste of international rugby league and will be named in the Kangaroos' initial train-on squad on Monday.

The initial squad will be comprised of players from teams that failed to make the finals and is likely to contain fellow Cowboys Luke O'Donnell, Carl Webb and Matt Bowen.

"The knee pulled up pretty good," Thurston said.

"It was very good during the game. I tested it out a few times and I'm pretty confident with it. There's not fitness like match fitness."

Thurston's combination with certain Australian selections Darren Lockyer and Cameron Smith during this year's triumphant State of Origin series win for Queensland should hold him in good stead.

Thurston said the knee provided no problems against the Eels.

"You can't worry about it or you'll probably get injured again," he said.

"I was pretty confident going into the game with it and there were no signs of weakness or anything there. The way it pulled up I'm very happy."

Thurston is in line to take over from Travis Norton as skipper next season with hooker Aaron Payne another candidate.

Norton (retirement), Matt Sing (Hull) and Josh Hannay (Cronulla) played their final games for the club on Friday night.

Norton said he feared his last shoulder separation, against the Bulldogs in round 22, would cost his "fairytale" farewell on Friday night.

"I was a bit concerned," Norton said.

"There was a couple of weeks in a row where I'd injured my shoulder and after talking to the specialist I found out that I had to have surgery.

"But in saying that he said if you leave it for a little while, see how we go and try and get some strength into it. Fortunately I came through alright."

Source: AAP

DeeGan
03-09-06, 10:17 AM
Johnathan Thurston will be out future long term halfback for mine - he has it all.

It was hard to rank him ahead of Orford given his lack of playing time of late though he was very good in his come back to rugby league on Friday night. He will make the squad and then duke it out with the others for the coveted number seven jersey.