PDA

View Full Version : The Gold Coast Titans rivalry thread

DIEHARD
18-08-06, 04:30 PM
I thought I would create a thead about the small rivalries that are growing.

Brisbane Broncos - local rival and long standing master of SEQLD.

Melbourne Storm - Steve Turner saga.

Rivalries with Brisbane and Melbourne will be very healthy for passion and hype. Rivalries will also help the Gold Coast establish an identity.

Should be fun, especially considering my brother is a massive Storm fan.

Please keep the thread clean of trolling and baiting. It's just for fun.

philstorm
18-08-06, 04:33 PM
Yeh I think they're might just be a teeeeeeeeeeeensy little rivalry between the Storm and the Titans. ;)

[BroncosGirl]
18-08-06, 04:41 PM
Well the rivalry should be great between Titans and Broncos.

What about Titans and Cowboys? Would there be any?

Its just funny, 3 QLD teams, rivals of each other (mostly Broncos ;):p)!

Titans need to develop a strong rivalry with a Sydney team too, just to make it interesting.

~Wild Child~
18-08-06, 04:43 PM
']Well the rivalry should be great between Titans and Broncos.

What about Titans and Cowboys? Would there be any?

Its just funny, 3 QLD teams, rivals of each other (mostly Broncos ;):p)!

Titans need to develop a strong rivalry with a Sydney team too, just to make it interesting.:lol!: how bout the Dragons :lol!:

Titanium_BD1103
18-08-06, 04:50 PM
Nice thread here DIEHARD.... :)

Let me tell you, you should have 14 out of 16 teams here for season 2007 as your rivals... I have been around the forums and the only teams that don't seem to have something against the Titans for whatever reason and their team for 2007 is the Warriors.

I can tell you right now that whilst there is a lot of support for the Titans, there is also a lot of dislike and annoyance... ;)

Biggest comes from certain supporters, NOT ALL, of:

Brisbane: They don't like SE QLD being taken over by another team

Melbourne: Our New Number 1 Enemy, so many Storm supporter will be annoyed by the Turner Saga, the longer we will cause lack of ties between the two teams

I reckon SUCK IT UP.... I love being a disliked side... it means you are good, people only dislike due to some jealousy and you should use it to gain even more momentum for the team unity and support... :D :D

~Wild Child~
18-08-06, 05:00 PM

Let me tell you, you should have 14 out of 16 teams here for season 2007 as your rivals... I have been around the forums and the only teams that don't seem to have something against the Titans for whatever reason and their team for 2007 is the Warriors.

I can tell you right now that whilst there is a lot of support for the Titans, there is also a lot of dislike and annoyance... ;)

Melbourne: Our New Number 1 Enemy, so many Storm supporter will be annoyed by the Turner Saga, the longer we will cause lack of ties between the two teams

I reckon SUCK IT UP.... I love being a disliked side... it means you are good, people only dislike due to some jealousy and you should use it to gain even more momentum for the team unity and support... :D :DI really think it's a great thing to have another QLD team in the NRL...Healthy rivilry..will bring out the best in all :)

Social Loafer
18-08-06, 05:56 PM
Rivalry is a great thing in sport, although not many fans seem to have much againts Canberra except those Westie Tigpie fans who are just bitter about 1989..

and ofcourse there is the Roosters, but everyone hates them :laugh:

I think you surfer bums will have no trouble finding some rivals :peace:

[BroncosGirl]
18-08-06, 06:13 PM

I reckon SUCK IT UP.... I love being a disliked side... it means you are good, people only dislike due to some jealousy and you should use it to gain even more momentum for the team unity and support... :D :D

Damn straight haha. Shall be the most interesting rivalry I think.

Brettymac
18-08-06, 06:39 PM
I really think it's a great thing to have another QLD team in the NRL...Healthy rivilry..will bring out the best in all :)

I have to say, one of the best things about the titans (other than they play 5 steps from my place 2007), is the strength it will eventually bring for Origin. The QRL is a strong league, but the extra avenue provided for these players to see NRL game time will wreap great dividends 3-4 years from now.

travop
18-08-06, 06:41 PM
nah the real rivalry that will emerge will probaly be who is goin to win the gold coast AFL OR NRL
TITANS OR KANGAROOS
LEAUGE VS LEAUGE
MATE AGIANST MATE
ANDDD.........im outta ideas

travop
18-08-06, 06:43 PM
Rivalry is a great thing in sport, although not many fans seem to have much againts Canberra except those Westie Tigpie fans who are just bitter about 1989..

and ofcourse there is the Roosters, but everyone hates them :laugh:

I think you surfer bums will have no trouble finding some rivals :peace:
hey i protest ova the surfa bum remark
for one surfas arnt bums but tight ****s ya no

Slaytera
19-08-06, 07:51 AM
As Corey and Dane say! "I hate those Melbourne Players"

DeeGan
19-08-06, 10:26 AM

Rivalries with Brisbane and Melbourne will be very healthy for passion and hype. Rivalries will also help the Gold Coast establish an identity.

Nice thread DIEHARD.

I see the following "rivalries" developing in our early years:

* Brisbane Broncos

Most will refer to the Broncos as our "big brother" given they came in to the league in 1988 as we did originally with the Gold Coast Giants. The Broncos are a huge success on and off the field and provide a great measuring stick for the Gold Coast Titans. Once Robina is built, we will be right up there in terms of being the complete package as a NRL franchise.

The Brisbane Broncos don't win many "outside" fans and that's how they like it. They are a club hellbent on success on and off the field (as we are or will be) and our home and away games with the premiership superpower will be a rivalry that will exist long after I and many others have moved on to a better place.

* Melbourne Storm

The Steve Turner saga is helping this one along though I don't think that is the basis of the rivalry. Melbourne in many ways mirror the Titans on and off the field in which the professionalism they are run is something I admire of the club. Melbourne (excluding the teams that merged) are the last club to be granted a NRL license so they lose the tag of "newbies" to the Titans.

Personally I think we can measure ourselves against the Melbourne Storm over the first 5-10 years on and off the field. If we are as successful on the field as Melbourne have been, it will have exceeded my expectations.

* Wests Tigers

Benny Elias is a FOT (Former Origin Tool) in my books and his comments when it comes to the Titans certainly will make the Tigers a "must beat" every season. Some Tigers fans I know still are not over the fact we signed Prince and Laffranchi - the same can said for some online and others who are attending Tigers games each week.

I think the Roosters will be a rivalry that form over time with Carty as our head coach - the master vs the apprentice will be a headline you will see the first Roosters game in 2007 pitting Stuart against Carty.

All in all - I CAN'T WAIT!

Steve
19-08-06, 10:52 AM
While the Broncos fans might not like another team stepping on their toes, I know there's a lot of league fans in Brisbane who really don't like the Broncos at all. So this will be a great alternative and create a lot of passion.

I'm wondering if there'll be some resentment of the Titans out Penrith way too. Puletua, Swain, Campbell, all from Penrith. Even Turner is a penrith junior.
While I think there was sadness at Campbell leaving, there was more of a "good luck presto" feel, than "damn those titans!" But the thing with Frank might cause some issues.

While Hoss is a penrith legend, I know some resent that he ended up at the roosters, and that grudge might stick. Personally, while i'll happily hate the roosters, i'm not going to be upset about anyone who played/coached with them.

But despite all that, the Titans have Satts on board, and what Penrith supporter doesn't have a place for the grand final hero in their heart?

It should be interesting to see if a rivalry develops out of all that, or if it goes the other way and creates a bit of an affinity. I know it has for me. :D

travop
19-08-06, 01:17 PM
what am i gunna do im a bronco diehard fan and a titan newborn

DeeGan
30-08-06, 05:10 PM
*bump*

Steve Dangerous
30-08-06, 05:50 PM
The broncos v titans rivalry depends on how much we sock it to them. I mean the broncos v cowboys rivalry only really took off when the cowboys started being a real threat to them.. now you can pack out any stadium with that game.

Darren Lockyer
30-08-06, 06:21 PM
what am i gunna do im a bronco diehard fan and a titan newborn
I'm with you there travop

Hindyscrack
30-08-06, 06:33 PM
Rivalries are born, not created...

However there will always be the local derby mentallity between our Northern Cousins the Broncos and perhaps even the cowboys...

JoeMomma
30-08-06, 08:27 PM

Not 'fishing' here, but alot of clubs supporters I speak with already hate the Titans, for coming in and stealing players.

Not my views personally, but it a major feeling amongst supporters. I know CUA stadium and Leichardt will be sold out to see there teams smash the Titans. I'd imagine Saints aswell.

Hoppy2007Dragons
30-08-06, 08:28 PM
"I hate those Melbourne Players" lol

SuperCliffy#01
31-08-06, 12:00 PM
Not 'fishing' here, but alot of clubs supporters I speak with already hate the Titans, for coming in and stealing players.

Not my views personally, but it a major feeling amongst supporters. I know CUA stadium and Leichardt will be sold out to see there teams smash the Titans. I'd imagine Saints aswell.

I have found by reading between the lines and i wan't to announce that JoMamma is a former disgruntled North Sydney Bears fan, well JoMamma go suck eggs mate.cya. :')

jenny
31-08-06, 12:31 PM

Well, thet'll start to dislike them alot more, when we *open that can of whoop ass*

Poida
31-08-06, 12:34 PM
lol lol lol lol for 20 minutes at what joemamma said

jenny
31-08-06, 12:43 PM
lol lol lol lol for 20 minutes at what joemamma said
I think CT people are starting to get the picture loud and clear...Titans are here to stay...and will ROCK THE HOUSE ;)

Poida
31-08-06, 12:45 PM
yep the titans will and i hope so too.
3 queensland teams is better.
3 local derbys lol too

Titanium_BD1103
31-08-06, 12:50 PM

Oh well the more hate, the more enjoyment you get when you beat sides heh... :)

Cowboy Titan you may laugh for 20 mins, but JoeMomma although a true fisherman, has got a point. If you go around to all the other supporter forums, you are bound to find threads expressing annoyance at the loss of players to this club.

I can tell you that most of the teams supporters at the other forums would like nothing better than to see their team pound the Titans into the ground... there are those dislike the way they lost their top players, those who reckon there isn't a salary cap here, and then those who just reckon we are bound to fail.

TO THOSE WHO SAY THAT... I say get ready to fight, The Titans are here to stay whether you like it or not, and as I have said on many forums in arguements with people over this, who cares if ur hated, it makes it all the more fun when you beat people, much like with Manly or the Bulldogs, hate is always about jealousy, be proud of that, only good sides get jealousy tags thrown around them... :D :D

Poida
31-08-06, 12:52 PM

Cowboy Titan you may laugh for 20 mins, but JoeMomma although a true fisherman, has got a point. If you go around to all the other supporter forums, you are bound to find threads expressing annoyance at the loss of players to this club.

I can tell you that most of the teams supporters at the other forums would like nothing better than to see their team pound the Titans into the ground... there are those dislike the way they lost their top players, those who reckon there isn't a salary cap here, and then those who just reckon we are bound to fail.

TO THOSE WHO SAY THAT... I say get ready to fight, The Titans are here to stay whether you like it or not, and as I have said on many forums in arguements with people over this, who cares if ur hated, it makes it all the more fun when you beat people, much like with Manly or the Bulldogs, hate is always about jealousy, be proud of that, only good sides get jealousy tags thrown around them... :D :D

yeh but its not like his team is the only one who lost players.
titans have recruited smartly though

Titanium_BD1103
31-08-06, 12:54 PM
True... I know, he's a true fisherman... I don't agree with him much.. ;)

I'm just stating fact, and stating that in 2007, don't expect to be the most liked team in the NRL, rather one of the most hated... especially if the wins start coming on the board fast and early as we all hope.. :D :D

Poida
31-08-06, 12:55 PM
True... I know, he's a true fisherman... I don't agree with him much.. ;)

I'm just stating fact, and stating that in 2007, don't expect to be the most liked team in the NRL, rather one of the most hated... especially if the wins start coming on the board fast and early as we all hope.. :D :D
yeh true i understand that.
their popularity has gotten pretty good and they hadnt started yet.i find that remarkable

Titanium_BD1103
31-08-06, 12:57 PM
I do too... but there are those out there who would like nothing better than for failure... some people just don't get the idea that the goal is a lot bigger and brighter than in the past and that the Titans are ready for 2007....

jenny
31-08-06, 12:58 PM

As usual TJ. Your right on the money :)

Poida
31-08-06, 12:59 PM
I do too... but there are those out there who would like nothing better than for failure... some people just don't get the idea that the goal is a lot bigger and brighter than in the past and that the Titans are ready for 2007....
yeh. either that or some are just hardcore queensland haters

Grimmace
31-08-06, 01:01 PM
What i thought every team liked us oh no what are we going to do ? there are a lot of people out there that are filthy with the titans and want to see them fail miserably but the more you get hated the better off i say

jenny
31-08-06, 01:02 PM
What i thought every team liked us oh no what are we going to do ? there are a lot of people out there that are filthy with the titans and want to see them fail miserably but the more you get hated the better off i say
We'll stick it to em!! :emp:

Titanium_BD1103
31-08-06, 01:02 PM
LOL you'd think that, except half of those who are complaining are from Brisbane... ;)

Nah seriously, I reckon its more got to do with the calibre of talent at the team next season than a hate of QLD.... when you get that sort of team going,regardless of what one very crazy member posted yesterday, people are going to get jealous, simple as that... ;)

DIEHARD
31-08-06, 01:55 PM
I think we should get out in force at the Titans v Storm trial match at Coffs.

Really give it to them!

DeeGan and I went to the Coffs Sevens and we'd love to return. Maybe and honestly I believe we could organise some transport to get a good few of the diehards down there. I'd love to see at least a couple dozen Titans fans there in colours.

I can't wait to the showdown.

SuperCliffy#01
31-08-06, 01:58 PM
Well all i can say about the titans is that i can't wait i really need a second team to follow and now i have one, you already know for me no one will ever replace the Mighty Manly Sea Eagles, but go Titans go.cya. :win:

Poida
31-08-06, 04:17 PM
if teams dont like titans thats instant motivation for gold coast to do well. prove themselves