PDA

View Full Version : Broncos in turmoil

Steelers
09-10-05, 09:00 PM
THE Broncos are facing the biggest crisis in their 18-year history, with sacked assistant Kevin Walters last night firing a parting shot at coach Wayne Bennett.

The reaction from Walters - one of Brisbane's favourite sons and a loyal Bennett servant - came amid revelations of low morale and a player mutiny towards sacked performance co-ordinator Gary Belcher.

On Friday, Bennett delivered a bombshell, sacking Belcher, Glenn Lazarus and trusted right-hand man Walters after an intensive review of the club's operations.

Bennett's fourth and remaining assistant, John Dixon, also severed ties with the club to accept a coaching post in Wales.

On the day of the bloodletting, Walters refused to discuss the circumstances that led to his axing. But yesterday he revealed he was told to find another job by Bennett - making a mockery of a Broncos press release that claimed Walters resigned to focus on his car wash business.

Just two weeks ago, Walters told The Sunday Telegraph he was content at the Broncos and "was not going anywhere as far as I know".

"I still don't know why I've been moved on," said Walters, who played 241 first-grade games for the club and won five premierships under Bennett.

"Wayne never gave me a reason [for the sacking]. He just called me in and said, 'You're better off trying to find a job at another club'.

"It's disappointing. I love this club and I wanted to be here, but it was either Wayne or us, and clearly it was us."

Asked if the fallout from his sacking would end their friendship, Walters said: "I guess we're still friends but it would have been nice if Wayne let me know halfway through the year and I could have made some plans.
"Clearly I'm not a yes man, that's why I'm no longer there. I find this all a bit puzzling."

The Walters sacking is just one element in a series of ructions that prompted decisive action from Bennett, who has been criticised for being too rigid and too loyal to under-achieving players.

The Sunday Telegraph understands Belcher was released after losing the respect of senior players, who were disenchanted with his training methods.

Morale, it seems, is an issue at the club, with just five players agreeing to take part in the end-of-season trip.

It is also understood two rookie players had fallen out of favour with Bennett this season and were compelled to improve their attitude to training.

But Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen slammed suggestions the club is in crisis and defended the besieged Bennett.

"Sacking Wayne is not the answer," said Cullen. "Wayne is totally accountable, he has said the buck stops with him.

"But what are we trying to account for? The facts are these: we were 40 minutes away from being minor premiers this season. We've made the semis 14 years in a row under Wayne.

"The Roosters didn't make the finals this year, but Ricky Stuart's head's not on the chopping block.

"This should not be a blame game. Wayne still has a hell of a lot to contribute, but we wonder if the people and structure around him detracted from that."

Queensland greats Wally Lewis and Arthur Beetson last night questioned the Broncos' actions, with Beetson accusing Bennett of disloyalty.

"Some of these blokes have been very loyal to Benny and now they are gone. It seems there hasn't been much loyalty shown," said Beetson.

"I find it hard to believe Kevin would rather wash bloody cars than coach at the Broncos."

Lewis, who was stripped of the Broncos captaincy by Bennett in 1990, said: "I'm sure the club asked Wayne who was to blame for the performance this year and he wouldn't have looked at himself. But I know who's been there the longest."

Former Broncos reserve grade coach Ivan Henjak is tipped to return to the club.

Cullen insisted the Broncos would not conduct a shake-up of the playing squad.

Source: The Sunday Telegraph

Well, with what we have seen unfold in the last couple of days, the question is... What is going on at the Broncos?????

Super Cronk
09-10-05, 09:06 PM
Well, with what we have seen unfold in the last couple of days, the question is... What is going on at the Broncos?????

They are trying to correct a problem that they think they have. I appauld them for making moves this early for the good of the team.

The Original Idiot
10-10-05, 08:50 AM
Maybe this is the kick up the **** they need? Then again, this is the broncos we're talking about...

Inferno
10-10-05, 09:17 AM
We'll just have to wait and see next year whether or not it pays dividends.

Queenslander
10-10-05, 09:40 AM
The broncos are not in turmoil they are just shaking up the system to improve the club. Alot of people think the the broncos are in poor form.........they were minutes off from being minor premiers!!!! I know they have a slump at the end of the season and its something that has to be addressed. What doesnt kill us will make us stronger GO THE BRONCOS

Dakink
10-10-05, 12:02 PM
i think there is big trouble up there. Bennetts little feifdom is slowly starting to crumble. It will take a mindset revolution from big Wayne to reinvigorate the club - though Bennett is more than capable he needs to evolve, I am not writing him off though. The singing of Ennis is a good positive step. If anyone can turn the Broncios problems of the last 4\5 years he can.

I would prefer if he remained pig headed though and we saw a wooden spoon head up to Red Hill.

Steelers
10-10-05, 12:11 PM
I would prefer... we saw a wooden spoon head up to Red Hill.
if it can happen to the knights, it can happen to them (and i hope it does :p )

Shadow XL
10-10-05, 02:25 PM
if it can happen to the knights, it can happen to them (and i hope it does :p )
that is very mean....I'll go cry now ;)

DIEHARD
10-10-05, 03:51 PM
Kevin Walters was my favourite all time player, I'm shattered and hurt by his sacking.

I always thought Wayne and Kevin were very close, but you don't do this to close friends. And Walters wasn't the problem, he is just a scape goat for larger problems.

This will really turn a good few people off the Broncos unfortunately.

Gee I am very disappointed with this. Very....

Super Cronk
10-10-05, 03:52 PM
The thing that im surprised at is...benent has been cleared of all the fault and bascially been told he has done nothing wrong. And thats poo poo! Bennet has been to loyal to players and some of those players just havent performed at times. I dont think he should have been booted..because he got his team to the second final and won a truck load games in a row on the way there...so it isnt really needed to dump the head coach..but ild strongly suggest that the broncos tel bennet to change a few things he does within the club.

[BroncosGirl]
10-10-05, 05:23 PM
We're not in "turmoil" .. of course Walters is upset and has some things to say, but its not ripping the whole club apart. The club is moving in the right direction, but there is giong to be a bit of "chaos" in the process, come next season though we will be a better club for it.

Super Cronk
10-10-05, 05:48 PM
']We're not in "turmoil" .. of course Walters is upset and has some things to say, but its not ripping the whole club apart. The club is moving in the right direction, but there is giong to be a bit of "chaos" in the process, come next season though we will be a better club for it.

broncos make second week finals and are in turmoil...so i guess the tigers have fallen to pieces then? :p

Steelers
10-10-05, 05:50 PM
Just thought I would say that I didn't say they were in turmoil, that was the articles heading. So :p

Steelers
10-10-05, 05:55 PM
Here is something interesting I read on foxsports.com.au in a story on the coach sacking.

Bennett is the Queensland Rugby League's director of coaching, overseeing coaching appointments at every level.

At the Broncos he has total control of the football department. From contract negotiations to recruitment, Bennett has the final say. Australia's coach is unquestionably the post influential rugby league man in Queensland.

Isn't that something.

Super Cronk
10-10-05, 05:55 PM
Just thought I would say that I didn't say they were in turmoil, that was the articles heading. So :p

yeah i know that. I think teh newspapers are over reacting a bit..but whatever sells papers! Dragons are in a type of turmoil...not the bronc's

Queenslander
10-10-05, 06:13 PM
yeah i know that. I think teh newspapers are over reacting a bit..but whatever sells papers! Dragons are in a type of turmoil...not the bronc's

The dragons are in more "turmoil" than the broncos.........they are losing players not coaches

Dakink
10-10-05, 06:56 PM
They are more likely to perform though. If the Broncs keep going the way they are they are in for some lean times. 5th year in a row they have fizzled at the end of the season.

Coaster
10-10-05, 07:11 PM
Broncos didnt win a game in the finals this year, but they would have beaten any of the other 6 sides the way they played against Melbourne, Storm were outstanding on the night to win.

Super Cronk
10-10-05, 09:27 PM
The dragons are in more "turmoil" than the broncos.........they are losing players not coaches

yep. Plus you got one player saying he wont play with them agian....sheez.

kazza broncos chick
10-10-05, 09:43 PM
Ease up, the broncos are not in turmoil, this was something that needed to be done and it's good that they are getting it done and outta the way now. I would be more worried if I was a dragons supporter, they seem to be in more turmoil than any other club, they have players that don't want to play or aren't wanted by the club

Super Cronk
10-10-05, 09:44 PM
Ease up, the broncos are not in turmoil, this was something that needed to be done and it's good that they are getting it done and outta the way now. I would be more worried if I was a dragons supporter, they seem to be in more turmoil than any other club, they have players that don't want to play or aren't wanted by the club

the newspapers are the one saying they are in turmoil.