PDA

View Full Version : Titans keen to get Tuqiri back to league

Darren Lockyer
10-08-06, 07:30 PM
Titans keen to get Tuqiri back to league
Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 7:24 PM

Gold Coast Titans managing director Michael Searle confirmed the new franchise was keen to bring rugby union winger Lote Tuqiri back to league.

Tuqiri comes off contract after next year's Rugby World Cup and Searle believes the Titans stand the best chance of any NRL club in luring the 26-year-old back from the NSW Waratahs and ARU.

"I think it is fair to say we would like to give it a tilt (at signing Tuqiri)," said Searle.

"Being a new licence we have a better ability under the salary cap than some other clubs.

"The problem we will always have is the revenue the ARU throw at him his way and above his playing contract.

"It is a challenge, but at the end of the day it would be fantastic if we can get him back to league."

Searle said ideally Tuqiri would be the Titans' major signing for the 2008 season.

With 24 of its top 25 roster already signed for 2007, Searle hopes to finalise the inaugural squad by next week with the club's final signing.

"We are looking perhaps at someone who can play halves, backrow and or five-eighth and lock or a number nine," he said.

"It's probably going to be a fringe player but someone with regular NRL experience."

Source: AAP
Tuquiri is a big strong winger and would be a great signing for the titans

Steelers
10-08-06, 07:34 PM
Wow he is only 26... definately has some years left in him, and would be a great signing for the Titans.

Crushers
10-08-06, 07:54 PM
I don't reckon they have a chance of pulling this off. Once you go Union, you never go back.

Queenslander
10-08-06, 07:57 PM
At least he has been successful at Union unlike the other former Bronco who jumped ship and will remain nameless. ;)

Lote would be a great asset for the Titans however I think with all the experience the Titans already have; to add a player like Lote would be pointless (pointless might be too strong a word to use).

Give a younger bloke a go and let him grow into a player similar if not better than Lote. Then he could be referred to as a "Titan product" unlike Lote who will be referred to as "the former Bronco, and Union player." :D

Titanz01
10-08-06, 08:02 PM
naah doubt he will sign even tho his fam is located in brisbane

Chaos
10-08-06, 08:14 PM
The title of the thread could have had a bit more thought put into it!

Anyway, Lote is a great athlete and really outshone is team mate Sailor in his last season of League.

I don't watch Union so I haven't seen Lote play for a while but I have heard he still does alright.

Queenslander
10-08-06, 08:16 PM
The title of the thread could have had a bit more thought put into it!

Just fixed it ;) so others actually know what they are reading before they click :D

DeeGan
10-08-06, 08:23 PM
What a signing that would be :)

I am 100% certain he will be back in league though I cannot see him playing anywhere but with Brisbane to be honest. Time will tell.

dan the man
10-08-06, 08:23 PM
At least he has been successful at Union unlike the other former Bronco who jumped ship and will remain nameless. ;)

Lote would be a great asset for the Titans however I think with all the experience the Titans already have; to add a player like Lote would be pointless (pointless might be too strong a word to use).

Give a younger bloke a go and let him grow into a player similar if not better than Lote. Then he could be referred to as a "Titan product" unlike Lote who will be referred to as "the former Bronco, and Union player." :D

Berrick Barnes is killing it in union... it was the best thing he is ever done....
i am sure this is the former bronco u are talking about .... lol

Chaos
10-08-06, 08:26 PM
What a signing that would be :)

I am 100% certain he will be back in league though I cannot see him playing anywhere but with Brisbane to be honest. Time will tell.

DeeGan,

Why are you so sure he will be coming back to League?
I don't follow Union so excuse my ignorance if something has been already said in the media

Poida
10-08-06, 08:30 PM
awesome i hope they do get him and also good for MAROONS if he does return

Queenslander
10-08-06, 08:30 PM
Berrick Barnes is killing it in union... it was the best thing he is ever done....
i am sure this is the former bronco u are talking about .... lol

:laugh: I was talking about Wendell Sailor :peace:

Titanium_BD1103
10-08-06, 09:11 PM
:laugh: I was talking about Wendell Sailor :peace:

I thought you were talking about Brad Thorn... :satan: :satan:

Nah seriously, this would be a good signing for the Titans if they could get him... only problem is, who would depart for him, added to the fact most of the team is signed till at least 2008 ???

A player of his calibre costs a fair bit of money, and it would mean having to sacrifice some of the youngsters coming through the system, probably GC locals who might just prove in the first year to be superstars of the future...

I'd wait and see on this one... I see really positives and negatives for this.

Titan_Matchu
10-08-06, 11:28 PM
I think that if Australia wins the rugby union world cup then Lote would have done everything he wanted to do in union. Although I can only see him playing for the Broncos or the Titans, but very good for Queensland just coming off the State Of Origin win now finding out they may have one of or their best ever centre/winger back. Very excited to see how this all unfolds

lonegull
11-08-06, 08:28 AM
Wow would be huge I have meet lote on numerous occasions and he is a real nice bloke always has a talk and you never see his name pop up when theres trouble would be huge for the titans still the one of the best players in both codes of thegame

Eel 33
11-08-06, 09:22 AM
He will command too much money, although it would be good for us to have him he would kill opportunities for youngsters coming thru. The Broncos will be the ones to snap him up.

travop
11-08-06, 11:06 AM
yea bring back lote hes a mad as player he helped the broncos and will definantly help the titans

SuperCliffy#01
11-08-06, 11:23 AM
I would support it but on several conditions, the Titans don't get any special treatment from the Salary cap, no player currently under a Titan contract in 2008 is shown the door to make way for him, the NRL do not offer additional inducements to bring him back (to me that is salary cap rorting).

So if the Titans can fit him under the Salary Cap and no player is released to get him then go for it, otherwise invest the money towards a dozen top QLD juniors.cya. :naughty: :satan:

Go_The_Doggies
11-08-06, 04:45 PM
IMO once a player changes any code..they shouldnt be allowed back to the code they came from.

Darren Lockyer
11-08-06, 04:54 PM
IMO once a player changes any code..they shouldnt be allowed back to the code they came from.
nah that's pretty slack because what if Gasnier changed for a couple of years would you let him back if he wanted to come?

Go_The_Doggies
11-08-06, 04:56 PM
nah that's pretty slack because what if Gasnier changed for a couple of years would you let him back if he wanted to come?
No.

Supergoose
11-08-06, 07:49 PM

That's called cutting off your nose to spite your face. Codes should take the best players they can get regardless of their playing history.

Go_The_Doggies
11-08-06, 09:05 PM
That's called cutting off your nose to spite your face. Codes should take the best players they can get regardless of their playing history.
So. Its my opinion.
If a player choose's to swap codes. They should stay with that decision. Well at a professional level anyway.

Chaos
11-08-06, 11:00 PM
So. Its my opinion.
If a player choose's to swap codes. They should stay with that decision. Well at a professional level anyway.

Doggies,
What's your reasoning behind your opinion?

BRONCOS FAN
11-08-06, 11:15 PM
Yeahc i would love to see him play again but. i would really loved to see him back in the broncos more!!!

Social Loafer
11-08-06, 11:23 PM
If a club can fit him under the cap then I have no problems with him returning.. However, if the NRL step in to help get him back it opens up a can of worms.. If 1 club is given assistance by the NRL to get a "marquee player" then every club will (rightfully so) be asking for the same treatment..

Darren Lockyer
12-08-06, 07:39 AM
It said on Sky News that he has denied speculation that the titans have evn talked to him. So at the moment it is all a rumour

travop
12-08-06, 10:11 AM
oh ok
but lets just say he did, tuqiri fans from union might change codes which means more intrest in leauge and more intrest means bigger leauge

Queenslander
12-08-06, 12:56 PM
Lote not ruling out code switch
By Rupert Guinness
August 12, 2006

Source: The Daily Telegraph

AUSTRALIA winger Lote Tuqiri has not ruled out switching back to rugby league after next year's union World Cup.

But the former Brisbane Bronco dubbed as "pure speculation" reports he had been approached by new NRL Gold Coast side the Titans, and was considering an offer to join them in 2008 after his Australian Rugby Union contract expires.

Tuqiri yesterday stressed again that his priority is to help the Wallabies win the World Cup - and not to start negotiating contracts.

And you can rest assured many contracts are set to be offered to Tuqiri from both codes as his deal with the ARU and NSW Rugby Union nears its end.

"You wouldn't rule out anything," said Tuqiri, when asked about a possible switch after 2007.

"But, mate, as I said, I am contracted to the end of 2007 and that is where I am heading right now."

Asked about the Titans' approach Tuqiri said: "It is pure speculation.

"It is flattering that it has come out. But all I am concentrating on is what we are on about here. I am putting all my eggs in that basket at the moment."

Many feel that the best has not yet been seen of Tuqiri in rugby union.

Tuqiri joined the 15-a-side code from the Broncos at the end of 2002, after he was named as the Dally M winger of the year.

And it wasn't long before he reassured rugby fans that he would be a star in union as well.

In 2003 he debuted in Super 12 with the NSW Waratahs and was a key member of the Wallabies World Cup squad, scoring its only try in the final.

But too often Tuqiri has bemoaned the fact that he doesn't get the ball enough, believing he has much more to offer with it in his hands more frequently.

Yesterday, in his fourth season in rugby, Tuqiri's view was the same when he was asked if he ever gets bored in rugby.

"You don't get bored but you get a bit frustrated when you don't get the ball," he said. "Other than that, no. I have enjoyed my time and I still enjoy it."

Titanium_BD1103
12-08-06, 12:56 PM
oh ok
but lets just say he did, tuqiri fans from union might change codes which means more intrest in leauge and more intrest means bigger leauge

Understandable, but most probably won't happen.

I say this as I ask you how many people supported Union because Rogers went over there, how many people supported Union because Thorn went over, or Sailor... it isn't that many and most had it as a second sport.

I do agree it will create interest, however it will always be a union fans 2nd or 3rd favourite sport. Union fans will always support Union no matter what... and that is a fact of life, regardless of who is playing.

DIEHARD
13-08-06, 12:59 AM
I'm confident we will see him back in the superior rugby code soon.

Most likely in maroon, white and gold.

DeeGan
13-08-06, 10:53 AM
Lote is not going to come out and state he is keen to come back to rugby league - that would not be a smart move with the Rugby World Cup sneaking up on us. He will appease his current employer until such a time his obligation is fulfilled and will return to the game he has stated as preferring (I will try and find the article).

As I said earlier, as DIEHARD has said above, the Brisbane Broncos will be the likely home for Lote.

In saying that, more power to Michael Searle and co. in pursuing this prized signature :D

Chaos
13-08-06, 08:38 PM
Lote is not going to come out and state he is keen to come back to rugby league - that would not be a smart move with the Rugby World Cup sneaking up on us. He will appease his current employer until such a time his obligation is fulfilled and will return to the game he has stated as preferring (I will try and find the article).

As I said earlier, as DIEHARD has said above, the Brisbane Broncos will be the likely home for Lote.

In saying that, more power to Michael Searle and co. in pursuing this prized signature :D

I hope your right DeeGan...I would love to see him play for the Titans.

Darren Lockyer
14-08-06, 04:00 PM
I hope your right DeeGan...I would love to see him play for the Titans.
so would i

Steve Dangerous
14-08-06, 04:15 PM
Can't imagine Lote coming back to league after cementing a Wallabies place and a healthy paypacket to match. Really just can't see it happening.

Super Cronk
14-08-06, 06:01 PM
I apologise i havent read ALL the posts in this thread...but i heard this on the news last week and just laughed. How the hell can the titans afford Lote?

Darren Lockyer
14-08-06, 06:07 PM
I apologise i havent read ALL the posts in this thread...but i heard this on the news last week and just laughed. How the hell can the titans afford Lote?
Well if he is willing to take a paycut then he could sign for us but i don't think that would happen.

Super Cronk
14-08-06, 06:13 PM
Well if he is willing to take a paycut then he could sign for us but i don't think that would happen.

Yeah i highly doubt he would take a paycut. I say let him stay with union...he is a has been.

GoldCoastTitan
15-08-06, 11:00 AM
Lote has always said he wants to return to league one day and maybe after the worldcup he will, the Titans are probably the only team that can afford him other than maybe the Rabbitohs, either way won't affect the Titans they have a good team as is.