PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign Ennis

Super Cronk
09-10-05, 11:17 AM
Brisbane have announced the signing of St George Illawarra's Michael Ennis, one year after they tried to pick up the classy hooker.

Ennis has agreed to a two-year contract with the Broncos, effective immediately.

He had asked for a release from the Dragons after making 16 of his 24 appearances this season off the bench following his move from Newcastle.

The club agreed, Ennis contacted the Broncos and the deal was completed last night.

"I almost signed with the Broncos last year, but moved to Sydney - and to the Dragons - to be near my sick father who has since passed away," he said in a statement.

"As a country boy, I never really settled in to Sydney living, and I expect moving to Brisbane will be like a breath of fresh air.

"I am also keen to get more game time than I did at the Dragons."

Dragons chief executive Peter Doust said the club had been aware that Ennis was not happy with Sydney life and given salary cap issues a mutual agreement was reached.

Despite Ennis's limited game-time this season he still managed 108 points from five tries and 44 goals, and his more than handy kicking will be a big bonus for the Broncos who have struggled to fill that role since Michael De Vere departed for the United Kingdom.

Darren Lockyer reluctantly took on the role earlier in the season but his success rate was well below his usual standards, while replacement Brett Seymour also struggled at times.

Ennis finished the season with 28 successful conversion attempts.

He will join the Broncos for the start of preseason training in early December and will vie for a starting spot with incumbent hooker Barry Berrigan, whose consistent start to the season petered out as his team went on a seven-match losing streak.

ABC.net.au

DeeGan
09-10-05, 11:21 AM
Your on fire super cronk ;) Our very own 'Mr Hot of the press' :)

A very good signing for a club with noted goalkicking problems since the departure of Michael Devere.

Unfortunately this is a 2 year deal so the Titans won't be able to make a play at Ennis who I honestly believe is a future representative player.

Good signing and some welcomed good news for Brisbane who seem to be a club divided this morning.

DeeGan

Super Cronk
09-10-05, 11:23 AM

A very good signing for a club with noted goalkicking problems since the departure of Michael Devere.

Unfortunately this is a 2 year deal so the Titans won't be able to make a play at Ennis who I honestly believe is a future representative player.

Good signing and some welcomed good news for Brisbane who seem to be a club divided this morning.

DeeGan

Mate you called it in a thread about 10 mins before i posted.

Didnt berry berrigan leave bronco's? so that would mean ennis straight into hooker...and would become the kicker thats good coz lockyer has had some shockers recently.

DeeGan
09-10-05, 11:31 AM
Mate you called it in a thread about 10 mins before i posted.

Didnt berry berrigan leave bronco's? so that would mean ennis straight into hooker...and would become the kicker thats good coz lockyer has had some shockers recently.

Though you confirmed it ;)

I have no idea of what the player roster moves are at the Broncos that may have eventuated from this move.

IMO Ennis could perhaps be packing down in the backrow to perhaps add mobility to a big, aging pack containing Webcke, Petero, Carroll and Thorn. If they pair Ennis with Stagg the balance IMO is about right given I believe B. Berrigan is a polished dummyhalf who should not be moved. If anything the older Berrigan was one of their better players in that horror end to the season.

DeeGan

Steelers
09-10-05, 11:40 AM
Well it is a bit relieving to know that Ennis asked to be released instead of justr being booted from the Dragons.

Super Cronk
09-10-05, 11:43 AM
Well it is a bit relieving to know that Ennis asked to be released instead of justr being booted from the Dragons.

Its basically the same....jump or be pushed.

Steelers
09-10-05, 11:49 AM
Its basically the same....jump or be pushed.

I never did see us giving up Ennis unless he wanted to leave. He is a future rep player.

[BroncosGirl]
09-10-05, 03:27 PM
Berrigan hasnt left the Broncos, so its between him and Ennis for hooker, personally I'd rather Ennis, there, (yay a goal kicker :p), there was a suggestion while Seymour was injured, to chuck Ennis into Halves, or Ennis oculd even play lock!

But great signing :D

Super Cronk
09-10-05, 03:43 PM
']Berrigan hasnt left the Broncos, so its between him and Ennis for hooker, personally I'd rather Ennis, there, (yay a goal kicker :p), there was a suggestion while Seymour was injured, to chuck Ennis into Halves, or Ennis oculd even play lock!

But great signing :D

Berrick Barnes has left.

[BroncosGirl]
09-10-05, 05:59 PM
Berrick Barnes has left.

Yes Im well aware of that :confused: :confused:

You said "didn't berrigan leave" , and he hasn't.

Super Cronk
09-10-05, 07:33 PM
']Yes Im well aware of that :confused: :confused:

You said "didn't berrigan leave" , and he hasn't.

holy hell your right! i did say berrigan , my bad i meant barnes :o

ridgey
10-10-05, 03:28 PM

DeeGan

geez i think ridgey said in a previous thread about 2 day's ago ennis would be a bronco in 06 :rolleyes:

Steelers
10-10-05, 05:20 PM
geez i think ridgey said in a previous thread about 2 day's ago ennis would be a bronco in 06 :rolleyes:

i remember that :o

Teegy
10-10-05, 05:35 PM
I remembrer that to

Steelers
10-10-05, 05:39 PM
These were posted on Saturday between 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM

i'd say ennis might end up at the broncos,he was close to signing with em last year.bennett rates him and let's face it they need a hooker and a goalkicker as well.

ennis will be a bronco in 06.

Super Cronk
10-10-05, 05:50 PM
Deegan also said it...so what? An article the other day also said the broncos were intrested not really nostradmus material. ;)

Queenslander
10-10-05, 06:16 PM
Deegan also said it...so what? An article the other day also said the broncos were intrested not really nostradmus material. ;)

Yeah this is a rugby league board not a physic message board ;)

kazza broncos chick
10-10-05, 10:11 PM
Good decision to sign Ennis, I would leave barry berrigan at hooker thou and mabey play ennis in the second row or at lock forward, he needs to be on the field thou cus of his goal kicking, Finally we have a goal kicker someone to replace (Chief) Mick De Vere

Titanium_BD1103
10-10-05, 10:19 PM
Congrats Brisbane on the signing of Ennis.. I know he will do well there....
However that does mean if he becomes No 1. Hooker in 06... Berrigan will be forced to watch from the sidelines...

Maybe we can sign him in 07... I don't really know Berrigan that much.. not huge fan of Broncos...but if he is decent, could be a chance... :)

DeeGan
10-10-05, 10:46 PM

And the point is?

The need for a sarchastic rolling over the eyes is for?

You like ALOT of Bronco fans who knew the Broncos chased Ennis before signing with the Dragons, we knew Bennett would be interested in signing Ennis. There was nothing confirmed, you posted a hunch that was correct.

If there are members wanting me to look at awarding those posting a hunch that is later proven correct, let me know.

I invite all to make Nostradamus like predictions on what my answer will be ;)

If we want to get technical, 2UE the day Ennis was released called this signing for Brisbane.

Cheers

DeeGan

ridgey
11-10-05, 04:59 PM
yeah but it wasn't a bad call for an idiot deegan.