PDA

View Full Version : Storm crowds on the rise

Super Cronk
29-07-06, 06:18 PM
theage.com.au

Figures released by the NRL show that Storm has had the second-largest increase in average home crowd attendances from last year.

Newcastle (up 15.5 per cent), Melbourne (up 13 per cent) and St George Illawarra (up 3.8 per cent) and West Tigers (up 1.5 per cent) are the only clubs to have lifted their figures.

Sydney Roosters crowds on the other hand have plummeted by 25.2 per cent on 2005, from an average of 16,057 in 2005 to 12,016 after round 20 this year as the struggling side is set to miss a finals spot for the second straight year.

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said the increase in the average Olympic Park crowd, from 8897 to 10,053, showed that the club had started to become an accepted part of the Melbourne sporting horizon and augured well for the short-term target of an average of up to 11,000 at the end of the season and 20,000 after the new stadium was completed in 2008.

"I think the result this year has been a terrific result thus far because let's remember we didn't have a season opener, it was an incredibly cluttered market, we haven't had particularly favourable conditions weatherwise and to start to grow it to the level we have . . . when you look at the real crowds (over) two years (it) is a tremendous turnaround," Waldron said.

----

That is a really good effort! And it will only get bigger with the new ground, SOO + tests and also that funding.

Darren Lockyer
29-07-06, 06:35 PM
Great for the storm but the roosters are plummuting fast.

Souths'n'Titans
29-07-06, 06:58 PM
Souths get as much as Harold Park twilights to our games

Darren Lockyer
29-07-06, 07:01 PM
Souths get as much as Harold Park twilights to our games
yeah but hopefully next year they win some games thy will get bigger numbers.

Grimmace
29-07-06, 07:12 PM
Its interesting you say that because pretty much every where you go you see souths bumper stickers on the back of cars once they start winning games and become a force you will see plenty of souths supporters at the games which is good for the game in general.............. pitty about the roosters loosing fans though.

Souths'n'Titans
29-07-06, 07:17 PM
I honestly can't see an improvement in the Roosters side for the next couple of years.

Grimmace
29-07-06, 07:24 PM
Well the way most side are improving i can honestly say the roosters will be wooden spoon contenders for the next couple of years as i said if the roosters think Nate Myles is their answer as Darryl said off the castle tell em their dreaming

mb63
30-07-06, 01:42 PM
Great news on the crowds for the Storm.Still plenty of work to be done.New stadium can't come quick enough.

Queenslander
30-07-06, 05:14 PM
Good news for the development of rugby league in Victoria. The new stadium will bolster their figures and will get the Storm out of the lower end of crowd averages.

[BroncosGirl]
30-07-06, 05:53 PM
Great news for the Storm :D!

BRONCOS FAN
30-07-06, 08:01 PM
']Great news for the Storm :D!
Yeah i know aye...

Poida
30-07-06, 09:01 PM
wouldnt some of these fans be bandwagonners who wouldnt turn up if they werent going that well?

Steelers
30-07-06, 09:13 PM
wouldnt some of these fans be bandwagonners who wouldnt turn up if they werent going that well?

Unlikely, considering that RL in Melbourne is still finding it's grounding. People are ill-informed of the Storm, and the more that the Storm make themselves known down there, the more people they will get to games.