PDA

View Full Version : Titans: Rd 1 Broncos vs Titans a no go

Queenslander
23-07-06, 11:57 AM
Butt out of our blockbuster
GREG DAVIS
23jul06

BRISBANE and North Queensland will join forces to try to shut the Gold Coast out of the Round 1 rugby league blockbuster at Suncorp Stadium to kick off next year's NRL season.

The Titans want to play the Broncos at the redeveloped Lang Park to celebrate their inaugural premiership match and would like the guaranteed sell-out to be classified as a Gold Coast "home" match.

However, the Broncos and Cowboys are strongly opposed to such a move.

Brisbane and North Queensland have clashed in Round 1 at Suncorp Stadium the past two seasons and both clubs would like that fixture to continue as a traditional season opener.

Clubs can start lodging requests for next season's draw with the National Rugby League now and the Broncos and Cowboys appear certain to ask for a third instalment of the Round 1 "Queensland derby" at Suncorp Stadium.

North Queensland chief executive Peter Parr said the club would be "bitterly disappointed" if it was bumped from the season opener.

"I firmly believe that ourselves and the Broncos have started a traditional fixture that a lot of people look forward to very much," Parr said.

"The Cowboys and the Broncos have a very healthy rivalry and respect for each other and the Round 1 match has taken that to another level so at the end of the day we would argue very strongly that it must continue."

Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen said the Broncos and Cowboys had a gentlemen's agreement that if the clubs were drawn to play each other twice, they would push to meet at Suncorp Stadium in Round 1 with a return bout in Townsville later in the year.

He said if the clubs were drawn to meet just once, the Broncos were happy to play the solitary match in North Queensland.

"I'd hate to see that arrangement fall by the wayside," Cullen said. "We'd like to keep up our end of the bargain."

"The Gold Coast has approached us about kicking off next year with a game at Suncorp Stadium but they want it to be their home game and, to be honest, we are 100 per cent against that."

Titans managing director Michael Searle said the Gold Coast was determined to muscle its way into the Suncorp Stadium blockbuster.

"Ultimately the NRL decide what configuration the draw takes and clubs get the opportunity to put forward requests so we will be asking that we play the Broncos in Round 1 at Suncorp Stadium," Searle said. "We would like it be to one of our home games because we would like to control the event and control the entertainment and celebrations for our first premiership match.

"Local derbies do have a lot of appeal for the fans and a Gold Coast-Brisbane local derby would create a lot of excitement in southeast Queensland.

"We think we could carry that excitement through by playing the Cowboys in Round 2 but, at the end of the day, it's not our call."

NRL chief executive David Gallop said a Gold Coast-Brisbane clash in Round 1 "had a lot of appeal".

But he said regardless of who the Titans played it would be a legitimate blockbuster.

For example, Gallop said the NRL did not schedule the grand final replay in Round 1 because the season- opening round was always going to surrounded by hype, so the clash would be wasted to a certain extent.

He said the NRL draw would be released in November and the game's ruling body would take all clubs wishes into consideration.

"It is a difficult process trying to please all the clubs and ensuring they get everything they request but we will be working hard to satisfy as many requests as possible," he said.

The Sunday Mail

novacastrian_panther
23-07-06, 12:31 PM
Why the hell would they want their first game at Suncorp for?

Darren Lockyer
23-07-06, 12:48 PM
I reckon we should play a sydney club first like Roosters and kill them.

Queenslander
23-07-06, 01:21 PM
Personally I would prefer to keep the Broncos vs Titans game for Round 2 or later. Broncos vs Cowboys, Round 1, Suncorp Stadium is starting to become a tradition.

Souths'n'Titans
23-07-06, 01:45 PM
Thats for the Bunnies to do

Eel 33
23-07-06, 05:33 PM
I reckon the NRL won't have the b****to break up that tradition. But there's always an alternative, swap between the teams each year or have a showcase "QLD" game in each of the first 3 rounds.

Darren Lockyer
23-07-06, 05:40 PM
I reckon the NRL won't have the b****to break up that tradition. But there's always an alternative, swap between the teams each year or have a showcase "QLD" game in each of the first 3 rounds.
What like this:
Round 1: Broncos vs. Cowboys
Round 2: Broncos vs. Titans
Round 3: Titans vs. Cowboys.

lonegull
23-07-06, 07:02 PM
whoever the titans play first its going to be a sell out i would love though to see the first game at carrara

shavenjas
23-07-06, 08:02 PM
Personally I would prefer to keep the Broncos vs Titans game for Round 2 or later. Broncos vs Cowboys, Round 1, Suncorp Stadium is starting to become a tradition.
100% on the money, i agree.

Darren Lockyer
23-07-06, 08:11 PM
whoever the titans play first its going to be a sell out i would love though to see the first game at carrara
I reckon the first 5 home game for the titans will be sell outs.

Lennox Titan
23-07-06, 08:16 PM
"The Gold Coast has approached us about kicking off next year with a game at Suncorp Stadium but they want it to be their home game and, to be honest, we are 100 per cent against that."- Cullen

First mistake Michael Searle has made by even bothering to ask. He should know that in thier eyes it's Broncos first Rugby league 2nd. That's one thing that will never change. Anything that affects the bottom line will have shareholder Bennett and his puppet Cullen whinging like a pom.

DIEHARD
23-07-06, 08:17 PM
I for one am happy we won't be playing the Broncos in round 1.

Playing the Broncos is the ultimate feature the public wants, we shouldn't give it to them straight away. We should milk it for all the headlines, hype and excitement it is worth.

Gold Coast taking on Brisbane would be ideal in maybe round 8, after they have independantly made their own way through the competition and fans are licking their lips with anticipation.

Whoever the Titans play first it will be MASSIVE. We don't need it to be the Broncos and splitting it gives us an extra blockbuster, because the first game will be huge either way.

And losing to the Broncos first up is a massive risk, I don't think we should risk having all that wind taken out of our sails before we even really begin our premiership campaign.

Cowboys v Broncos is basically an established tradition, let's make our own.

Let the Broncos and Titans go at each other once both teams have hit their stride and the new Gold Coast team has found its feet, with combination and confidence.

All three Queensland teams should play each other twice in the season.

J-Storm
23-07-06, 11:59 PM
Leave the Cowboys/Broncos game as the Tri-State opener then have the Cowboys host the Titans in Rd 2 and the Titans host the Broncos in Rd 3. Ends up a win-win for the people of Qld for the opening 3 rds with all the Qld teams getting an early shot at each other... :fence:

DIEHARD
24-07-06, 12:08 AM
Leave the Cowboys/Broncos game as the Tri-State opener then have the Cowboys host the Titans in Rd 2 and the Titans host the Broncos in Rd 3. Ends up a win-win for the people of Qld for the opening 3 rds with all the Qld teams getting an early shot at each other... :fence:

That is a silly idea, the NRL schedule should be balanced and paced throughout the season to maximise and maintain the success, excitement and hype of the season.

All clashes between QLD based clubs should be staggered over the season.

Hindyscrack
25-07-06, 10:15 AM
Exactly Diehard...

The Titans would be smart to schedule a traditionally low drawing away team for round 1. The game is going to be a sell out regardless.

Wait a few rounds before playing a home game against the broncos in Brisbane. And leave a home game against the cowboys at Carrara until late in the season.

Eel 33
25-07-06, 10:36 AM
What like this:

Yes, something similar to that and swap it around each year, eg: Venues and order in which the games are played.

Just Another Member
25-07-06, 01:26 PM
Titans should play a team like the Warriors first up because it will be a sell out no matter who they play and the Warriors don't usually give teams a good representation of the away crowd. The Storm would be the other option but GC play them twice in the trials from memory.

The Ballboys
25-07-06, 02:42 PM
"The Gold Coast has approached us about kicking off next year with a game at Suncorp Stadium but they want it to be their home game and, to be honest, we are 100 per cent against that."- Cullen

First mistake Michael Searle has made by even bothering to ask. He should know that in thier eyes it's Broncos first Rugby league 2nd. That's one thing that will never change. Anything that affects the bottom line will have shareholder Bennett and his puppet Cullen whinging like a pom.

I cannot let this statement slip by. Honestly "Lennox Titan" What are you talking about? Wayne Bennett has been brilliant for Rugby League. He was the major push behing the Tri-Series between Aust, NZ & GB. I'm not sure I can see the benefit for the Bronco's in growing our International game????? While other coaches refused to release players from their NRL team for the mid week test (NZ v GB) recently. Wayne Bennett was the first coach to let his players, play in that game. Still not seeing the benefit in the Bronco's not having their players?????

What you wrote is nothing but shallow minded garbage. I would suggest that if you don't know what you are talking about, don't talk at all.

Quite simply, the Titans are trying to smuggle into something that's not their's. All credit due to them for trying, but you can't now be offended if you get told no.

Darren Lockyer
25-07-06, 05:32 PM
They are making a tradition by playing cowboys vs. Broncs round 1.

Coaster
26-07-06, 01:08 PM
I think we should play Melbourne in Round 1.

With all the victorians here, and to stuff it up Clarks nose.

I also would love to see a Double header at some stage in Qld

Maybe
1. Titans vs Cowboys
2. Broncos vs Melbourne

Dakink
26-07-06, 01:15 PM
Any chance of a double header up here similiar to the one they have at Telstra to open the year?

Have it at Suncorp;

With Nth Qld, Broncos, Titans and Storm as the four teams. Make it a yearly season kick off!

Queenslander
26-07-06, 01:59 PM
Any chance of a double header up here similiar to the one they have at Telstra to open the year?

Have it at Suncorp;

With Nth Qld, Broncos, Titans and Storm as the four teams. Make it a yearly season kick off!

Great idea, tickets would sell faster than a Robbie Williams concert! :)

Darren Lockyer
26-07-06, 03:46 PM
Not quite as fast. his sold out in 30 mins.

titansroostersfan
26-07-06, 09:39 PM

Yeah yeah bring on 2007. Roosters will get butt that day only day i won't follow the titans when they play the roosters.

Sorry guys gotta follow my heart for one game (roosters)

DIEHARD
26-07-06, 11:36 PM

Yea but in a way you would be underselling two games and getting a far less over all aggregate which means less profit.

I'd be for a weekend when there is two games featuring those four teams both at Lang Park or one at Lang Park and one at Carrara, but on different days.

Hindyscrack
27-07-06, 11:06 AM
Quite correct Diehard..

There will be at least 45K for the Broncos and 20K for Titans

15K minimum who will miss out...

Crushers
27-07-06, 04:37 PM
Yea but in a way you would be underselling two games and getting a far less over all aggregate which means less profit.

So raise the ticket price, cause they're payong to see two games.

Darren Lockyer
27-07-06, 05:21 PM
Yeah but people who don't have much money.

Crushers
27-07-06, 05:24 PM
Yeah but people who don't have much money.
But it's only the opening round. It's not like it's the whole season. I don't see anything like this happening untill at least 2009 because the Titans will want to play their round 1 match on the Coast in 07 and 08.

BRONCOS FAN
27-07-06, 05:28 PM
Why the hell would they want their first game at Suncorp for?

So they don't have to travel their first round..

Poida
27-07-06, 06:46 PM
why not as an alternative try a local derby with cowboys and titans

travop
27-07-06, 07:13 PM
but then agian we could start a new tradition
broncos vs titans rd 1

Poida
27-07-06, 07:21 PM
yeah and give cowboys the bye lol

ShockMaster
09-08-06, 12:07 AM
I hate the idea of being at suncorp period, DAMN gccc :mad:

Queenslander
02-10-06, 06:17 PM
Now that the Broncos have won the premership they will now have the option to choose who they would like to play in Round One. And seeing that the Broncos have openly denied the chance of a Titans vs Broncos Rd 1 clash, it seems more and more likely that the Titans will not get the local derby in Round 1 next year.

So who will the Titans play round one next year.....only time will tell.

Boofhead
02-10-06, 06:52 PM
I hate the idea of being at suncorp period, DAMN gccc :mad:
Why?

It's the BEST stadium in SEQ.

It's an hour or less drive from GC.

Gold Coast vs. Brisbane would make for a better tradition rather than Nth. QLD vs Brisbane...

Boofhead
02-10-06, 06:55 PM
As long as we get one game at Suncorp ill be satisfied, what happens if our draw sees us having only the home game against the broncs. :fyi:

Queenslander
02-10-06, 06:56 PM
As long as we get one game at Suncorp ill be satisfied, what happens if our draw sees us having only the home game against the broncs. :fyi:

The Broncos vs Titans will happen twice next year, I forget where I saw it but the Broncos are in the same group as the Titans in relation to the draw therefore they play against each other twice.

Titan_Matchu
02-10-06, 07:38 PM
What like this:

Thats exactly what I was thinking that would be so good if the NRL did that!

DeeGan
02-10-06, 11:30 PM
Possible Titans round one games for mine would be:

- Brisbane: My preference, premieres vs the new boys
- Cronulla: Cartwright vs Stuart
- Sydney Roosters: Cartwright vs his former club
- Wests Tigers: '05 Premieres vs the new boys (Prince/Laffranchi signings adds spice)
- Melbourne: Nice off field rivalry now in place :D

Can't wait for the draw to be released!

travop
03-10-06, 02:02 PM
man the titans have ticked off alot of clubs latly lets hope that won't be reason why we might get kicked out of the comp like the 2 teams before us

PROMETHEUS
03-10-06, 05:16 PM
wtf? :whatd:

Titan_Matchu
03-10-06, 07:23 PM
When is the 2007 NRL season draw coming out?

Boofhead
03-10-06, 07:28 PM
November

Kingytek
04-10-06, 09:43 AM
Titans V Knights would be a good game at Carrara. I think that would be a winner!

Supergoose
04-10-06, 11:29 AM
Titans V Knights would be a good game at Carrara. I think that would be a winner!

I'd like to see that game as well. At least the Titans would be a good show for a first up victory.

PROMETHEUS
04-10-06, 02:39 PM
Titans vs sharks...Battle of The Beaches!! :win:

Titan_Matchu
04-10-06, 08:06 PM
Titans vs sharks...Battle of The Beaches!! :win:

Cronulla riots lol just joking

TITANIOUS
05-10-06, 09:06 PM
Put the 3 teams in a hat & draw them out. What could be fairer?

novacastrian_panther
07-10-06, 10:22 AM
How about:

Round 1: Broncos vs Cowboys
Titans vs Bye
Round 2:
Titans vs Broncos
Cowboys vs Bye

Queenslander
07-10-06, 10:24 AM
How about:

Round 1: Broncos vs Cowboys
Titans vs Bye
Round 2:
Titans vs Broncos
Cowboys vs Bye

I dont think the Titans would want a bye in round one, its not really a good way to start a Rugby League team IMO.

Cowboys_Rabbit_Fan
07-10-06, 10:59 AM
Are there even going to be byes next year... I mean there are now an even number of teams.

Queenslander
27-10-06, 09:01 AM
I think this is the final nail in the coffin for the Round One clash between the Broncos and Cowboys:

Cullen said he was not disappointed the match would not be played at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium because he did not want it to upstage the round 1 NRL clash on the weekend of March 9-11 when the Broncos are likely to host the Cowboys.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20650794-5003409,00.html

Poida
27-10-06, 02:27 PM
I think this is the final nail in the coffin for the Round One clash between the Broncos and Cowboys:

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20650794-5003409,00.html
:D :D :D sweet news that theyre gonna play north queensland round 1.

Poida
27-10-06, 02:28 PM
I dont think the Titans would want a bye in round one, its not really a good way to start a Rugby League team IMO.
to have a bye round 2 is silly.
cowboys and broncos should have their bye around origin time.

Robbie_Dee
27-10-06, 04:55 PM
I'm happy, cowboys have a good record against Brisbane of late! I hope they can get their season off with a win!

Poida
27-10-06, 07:32 PM
I'm happy, cowboys have a good record against Brisbane of late! I hope they can get their season off with a win!
i wouldnt say hope i say when lol

Crouching_Tiger
30-10-06, 10:50 PM
What is Carrara's capacity and how is the layout??? Does it have hills etc??? Many of us WestsTigers supporters will be making the trip up next season.

DIEHARD
30-10-06, 11:05 PM
What is Carrara's capacity and how is the layout??? Does it have hills etc??? Many of us WestsTigers supporters will be making the trip up next season.

Yep we got hills.