PDA

View Full Version : General: Who is the greatest sportsman or woman in the world?

DeeGan
08-10-05, 04:44 PM
General: Who is the greatest sportsman or woman in the world?

This debate has come up over a beer or two on a lazy Sunday afternoon, "Who is the greatest sportsman or woman in the world?".

I have nominated a choice selection though I see the 'other' vote getting used here.

Cheers

DeeGan

Titans#1
08-10-05, 04:53 PM
Well let me be the first to use the "other" button! lol

Muhamad Ali

(My spelling is bad today, I will edit when I remember how to spell again)

Teegy
08-10-05, 04:55 PM
I thought it was current. i voted Tiger as i am a big Golf fan

Titans#1
08-10-05, 04:57 PM
My Bad if it is current. Sorry all.

DeeGan
08-10-05, 05:12 PM
Yeah, make it in the world today.

Cheers

DeeGan

PARANoIR
08-10-05, 06:50 PM
Lance Armstrong for mine.

SharkiesBoi
08-10-05, 06:54 PM
some people may think that im just sayin this because i like footy but i honestly think Andrew Johns despite the fact that i absolutely h8 him (except when he plays for Asutralia)

SharkiesBoi
08-10-05, 06:55 PM
besides i dont even know a fair few of those people

Sharks
08-10-05, 06:57 PM
Lance Armstrong for sure,to win tour de france so many bloody times he has more then proven his might.I cant bare to imagine this guys not only physical but mental fitness,a lot of players in the NRL should take a leaf out of Armstrongs book! :D

Steelers
08-10-05, 07:52 PM
Roger Federer. I don't like how he is dominating tennis, but the fact is, HE IS DOMINATING TENNIS!

Super Cronk
08-10-05, 07:54 PM
i looked a the list and must have skipped lance and chose Schuy.....but if i could change i would change it to lance armstrong...he is such a inspirational guy and the feat of winning 7(?) tour De france is absolutely remarkable.

Inferno
08-10-05, 09:06 PM
I'd have to say Michael Schumacher for mind.

7 world championships is a pretty good effort, perhaps even more than 7 tour de France wins. More consistancy over a longer period.

People underestimate motor sports. Did you know that driving a formula 1 car for an hour will cause you to lose more sweat than playing Tennis for an hour.

Moejoe
08-10-05, 10:10 PM
A few people come to mind when I read this, More so than who is on the list.
People like Ian Thorpe (To be able to swim and do well in so many events at one meet is to be noticed) Kosta tzu (been a competitve force in his wieght division for sol long)
Although I do think the greatest sports people with out a doubt are the people who compete in the special Olympic. To be able to still live life to the fullest and enjoy sports with a disability is a feat muched by no one.

J-Storm
09-10-05, 03:16 AM
Tiger Woods hands down. Does anyone attract the media the way this guy does. Just when they count him out he proves he still has enough to scare the living daylights out of the guys he trails by even 5 shots in a tournament. He seems like a great guy on and off the course as well which helps...

I would have said Lance Armstrong but with the constant stories of his drug tests (which no one will probably know the full truth of) made me eliminate him (though I rate him very highly personally)...

And did Warne miss the cut on both accounts of the 2 mentioned above, his off-field antics and his Mum's diuretic :rolleyes:

Queenslander
09-10-05, 10:50 AM
Lance Armstrong for me, his success after cancer is an inspiration to us all, plus he is consisent unlike Tiger Woods

ridgey
09-10-05, 11:17 AM
well for me it's valentino rossi.motorcycling is a passion of mine and i've been fortunate enough to have made the trip to phillip island a few times to watch the 7 times world champion.the man is a genius on a motorcycle.will be and quite possibly already is the greatest motorcycle racer that there's ever been.(sorry mick)!

DeeGan
09-10-05, 12:57 PM
A few people come to mind when I read this, More so than who is on the list.
People like Ian Thorpe (To be able to swim and do well in so many events at one meet is to be noticed) Kosta tzu (been a competitve force in his wieght division for sol long)
Although I do think the greatest sports people with out a doubt are the people who compete in the special Olympic. To be able to still live life to the fullest and enjoy sports with a disability is a feat muched by no one.

Great nomination and I did think about Thorpe though I ruled him out opting for Grant Hackett who really emerged from the shadow of Thorpe when Thorpey had the break.

To be honest, if we want a swimmer nominated, USA's Michael Phelps is a hard guy to go past.

Thoughts?

DeeGan

Steve Dangerous
09-10-05, 01:46 PM
Lance Armstrong for sure. What he's been able to do is just crazy.

In-Cyde #1
10-10-05, 08:09 PM
The question is too hard.

Greatest Cricketer - Sir Don Bradman
Greatest League Footballer - Wally Lewis
Greatest Golfer - Arnold Palmer
Greatest Squash Player - Margerat Court
Greatest Soccer Player - Pele
Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Nah, can't decide....................................

Ask me who was the greatest winger for the AFL Under 12 Team of Bayswater (Vic) in 1967. I can't deny it. :D

Cheers, BLOMMY