PDA

View Full Version : Canny Titans get the foundations right - starting with young legs

DeeGan
16-07-06, 09:29 AM
This is a very good piece from Phil Gould and I avert your eyes to one particular of the article dealing with junior development.

As I have said in a couple of threads, the Titans cannot be expected to come in to the competition littered with Gold Coast junior products for the only reason being we are based here. Building a successful club from the ground up starts with good recruitment on and off the field, we have got one big tick mark next to both boxes.

Our junior base will slowly come through over the next five seasons and be challenging for spots in the first grade squad. I think you will all get to see Messrs Sandow (Chris) and Walker (Shannon) at some stage in 2007, at the latest 2008, with others being introduced as we grow as a club.

Enjoy the article, are we doing good things for the Gold Coast area? The answer is yes.

Canny Titans get the foundations right - starting with young legs

Phil Gould
July 16, 2006

WHILE most teams in the NRL are working towards the 2006 finals, the Gold Coast Titans are getting ready for the 2007 season.
The Titans have been relentless in their pursuit of excellence. Not only are they developing a strong playing roster, but they're having a huge impact in South-East Queensland for the game of rugby league.
Titans managing director Michael Searle says: "We've simply been in the right place at the right time. Our city's growth and yearning for a tool to unite has seen extraordinary interest in the Titans' entry for 2007.
"The most pleasing factor of our program is that we've been able to implement our business plan in a timely and effective manner.
"On time and on budget has been our goal and we're on track."
Let's look at a few of the important areas of the Titans' development.

Player signings
The Titans are putting together an impressive playing roster. The signing of key players such as Luke Bailey, Scott Prince, Preston Campbell, Jake Webster and Anthony Laffranchi has been complemented by a strong support crew.
There's been a real method to the Titans' recruitment strategy.
Searle says: "Naturally, people and sponsors gravitate to the senior players but we're happier with the fact we're on target for our recruitment plan of an average of 24 years of age. Our squad averages at 22.08 years and this sends a message that, if the side gels, it will be strong for some years to come."
Searle gives a lot of the credit for success in the player market to coach John Cartwright. "The head coach's demeanour has played a major role," he says. "His personality and ability to communicate with openness with the players helps our cause no end."

Junior development
The establishment of junior Titan academies in key geographical areas of SE Queensland has already met with great success.
The elite Titans academy boasts 25 of the best young players from Coffs Harbour to Ipswich. During the week, three of these players were selected for the 2006 Australian Schoolboys team.
Cartwright is delighted. "It's just one of the positives of having an NRL team in this area," he says. "It's given so many kids a chance to progress their careers."
Regional academies have also been set up in Northern Rivers, Ipswich and the Gold Coast. The Titans have 75 junior players aged 16 in these squads and they will be taught what is expected of them in life and football.

The Titans expect to set up age divisions in under 15s, 14s, 13s and 12s in all three regions next year.
Searle says: "These are an annual invitation to participate in excellence programs which are administered by local coaches with expert direction from the Titans staff. More than 375 kids will enjoy these educational and training regimes."
The Titans are working closely with the NRL player education program, addressing matters such as alcohol, drugs and attitudes to women as well as exposing them to an elite level of coaching.
The academies also create "coach the coach" programs to not only develop better players but better coaches as well.

Membership and sponsorship
The Titans have had a successful campaign to sell membership packages to supporters and sponsors.
The palladium membership is a program for corporate folk. The price is $27,500 and memberships will be limited to 100.
So far, 72 packages have been snapped up.
Searle is excited about interest in this program and says the club is realising its draw area is vast. The palladium members are mainly from the Gold Coast, Ipswich and Northern Rivers, but one man from Papua New Guinea has bought two memberships and another from Griffith in NSW has bought one as well. "They just want to be part of the club," Searle says.
The soon-to-be-released gold foundation membership program will offer a seat for life at the new $160 million Robina stadium. Season tickets go on sale in October.

Stadium
The new stadium at Robina is coming along nicely. NRL operations manager Graham Annesley reviewed the plans recently and suggested this could be the best 25,000-seat rectangular stadium in the country. It will be finished in November 2007.

Fan Development
This has been Searle's focus from day one. "Becoming an alternative to the Broncos has always been our aim and to draw back to our game fans who may have slipped across to AFL as a result of the Lions' success," he says.
Searle has a strategy to lure support on a weekly basis. "We are empowering our fan base to choose us as their second team," he says. "If you are a Roosters fan living on the Gold Coast, for 11 games you attend at Robina Stadium I want you to cheer for the Titans. However, when we play the Roosters, I want you to wear your Roosters jumper and hat and cheer for them. But your children are our target. I want them to be a Titans boy or girl for life."

Training facility
In the second year, the Titans will build a facility near their playing stadium that may be the best in rugby league. This will be the home of the Gold Coast Titans and a major asset in retaining and attracting players.

Conclusion
Gold Coast chairman Paul Broughton says: "The Gold Coast city is on the crest of a golden era of opportunity with far-reaching development and expansion, and the NRL's decision to expand here will prove not just to serve the rugby league, but will profile the city."

Titanium_BD1103
16-07-06, 09:40 AM
It's a great article... only lightly browsed it but it looks good for the Titans... on all levels and well done to Michael and all the staff for that.. :D :D

I really look forward to seeing the juniors come through, this looks like a huge junior base and to be able to follow the careers of players from their junior days to FG is something I really enjoy doing... it gives great satisfaction to see it... :)

The only worry I have in years to come is with that much junior talent in our ranks... will the Titans become a mirror image of the Bulldogs, Dragons, Knights, Panthers and Eels where the talent they create will not end up at the GC, but instead due to the salary cap... end up at some other club... :(

WE NEED CONCESSIONS FOR LOCAL TALENT NOW... ;)

Darren Lockyer
16-07-06, 11:21 AM
that is the best article Phil gould has ever written. It explains paractically every thing about the ttans. Great report

Steve Dangerous
16-07-06, 12:04 PM
junior development definately is what determines long term success. the broncos and cowboys have shown this in action. not a big fan of gus but that was a good article.

BRONCOS FAN
16-07-06, 01:19 PM
Yeah good report. Hes explain what the titains are about in a way....

Just Another Member
16-07-06, 02:43 PM
that is the best article Phil gould has ever written. It explains paractically every thing about the ttans. Great report
have you read all of his article?

But it is a good article and it is the first Gus column that I've read which doesn't have to much personal opinion in it.

Darren Lockyer
16-07-06, 04:21 PM
have you read all of his article?

But it is a good article and it is the first Gus column that I've read which doesn't have to much personal opinion in it.
don't be stuck up. It is a good report for him who usually does controvesal ones. :mine:

lonegull
16-07-06, 04:29 PM
great article by gould i must say one thing Gould has been behind the gold coast concept since day one he is an avid believer in the gold coast having a side in the nrl good on ya gus

Just Another Member
17-07-06, 10:12 AM
don't be stuck up. It is a good report for him who usually does controvesal ones. :mine:
I'm just telling you not to make statements which you can't possibly back up. He is paid for his opinions and isn't supposed to do reports.

But to keep it on topic, it was a good report.