PDA

View Full Version : Storm to let Feeney go

Super Cronk
12-07-06, 09:35 AM
heraldsun.com.au

MELBOURNE Storm lock Jamie Feeney could be forced out of the NRL next season.

Melbourne has told Feeney it will not exercise an option on his contract for next season.

Trapped behind Queensland lock Dallas Johnson, Feeney, 28, has managed just seven first-grade games this season.

The former Bulldog said a lack of first-grade exposure was killing his chances of a new deal.

"My manager is looking around, but I'm not sure what the future holds," Feeney said last night.

"I am pretty disappointed the way it has all played out, but I probably saw it coming.

"I haven't had the best run since coming to Melbourne (in 2005).

"I got a bad start with injuries, this year I've had a few setbacks and the form of Dallas Johnson and some of the other back-rowers has been pretty good."

Feeney has scored 24 tries in his 131-match first-grade career. He is a qualified PE teacher but said he was not ready to retire.

"I still have plenty to offer at NRL level but, in the end, that's up to the clubs," Feeney said.

"I'd hate to think this will be my last season but it is about getting the opportunity to show I can compete at this level.

"I'd like to think my experience could be handy for a club, but when I'm not playing regular first grade in Melbourne, it is hard to get noticed."

Feeney's management is understood to have approached the new Gold Coast Titans franchise, and with his wife expecting the couple's third child, Feeney said a move to Sydney could also be attractive.

"My manager has sounded out a few clubs but I think most are looking at the more high-profile younger players on the market," Feeney said.

Asked if playing out his career in England was an option, Feeney said: "Not really. It is getting harder and harder to qualify to play over there.

"You need to have played 75 per cent of the past two seasons in first grade to qualify and I miss out by a couple of games."

Storm coach Craig Bellamy said Feeney was a victim of circumstance.

"Jamie is a great guy and has made a positive contribution to the club," Bellamy said.

"Unfortunately, back row is an area where we are quite strong and, with salary-cap restrictions, sometimes you are just forced to make these tough calls.

"Hopefully, he picks up something next year."

-------

Pretty sad to see that Feeney wont be kept ive always been a fan of his...he isnt a headline player who will get 3 dally m points every week...but he really works his **** off and puts in his best effort..all the best for the future!

Titanium_BD1103
12-07-06, 09:55 AM
That's a real shame, I'd say we at the Bulldogs should get him back, but we have an overload of talent as it is... :(

I hope Jamie can go to a club where he can show his true colours, I am a massive fan of his, he signed my autograph book back in his Bulldogs days and I loved getting to meet him at Belmore, he was always such an honest and easy to talk to person... and a talented footballer as well.

Just read the Gold Coast thing, in all honesty, I'd buy him for the Coast, would be a good bench option and offer a ton of experience, and he always gives 100%.... I'd love to see him in a Titans jersey.

If not there then perhaps Penrith or Canberra could offer something... anyone but the Roosters... Jamie is better than them.. ;)

Super Cronk
12-07-06, 10:06 AM
That's a real shame, I'd say we at the Bulldogs should get him back, but we have an overload of talent as it is... :(

I hope Jamie can go to a club where he can show his true colours, I am a massive fan of his, he signed my autograph book back in his Bulldogs days and I loved getting to meet him at Belmore, he was always such an honest and easy to talk to person... and a talented footballer as well.

Just read the Gold Coast thing, in all honesty, I'd buy him for the Coast, would be a good bench option and offer a ton of experience, and he always gives 100%.... I'd love to see him in a Titans jersey.

If not there then perhaps Penrith or Canberra could offer something... anyone but the Roosters... Jamie is better than them.. ;)

We will swap Feeney for Myles ;)

Titanium_BD1103
12-07-06, 10:11 AM
LOL... Cronk.. We'll do that... I'll just talk to Malcolm and George... :laugh: :laugh:

Nah Seriously though, even if you do get Nate... we still can't fit Jamie into the Bulldogs side... We have Jarred Hickey, Adam Brideson and Chris Armit.

The fact that SBW is on the bench for this weeks game illustrates there is too much depth in the Bulldogs already in the forwards ATM... :(

We will lose Irvine and probably Conn and Morrin... Here's hoping not.. but yes there is just too many players coming through the Bulldogs front row development program..

Darren Lockyer
12-07-06, 10:15 AM
I hope the titans can try and get him. He will be a good hard worker and will add experience to the side. If we get him Mark minichello and Brett Delaney are recruiting is almost complete. I think if we Jamie than he will go lock and drop Luke O'Dwyer out of the seventeen.

Titanium_BD1103
12-07-06, 10:17 AM
Actually Lockyer... I like your thinking.. but I reckon use Feeney off the bench and cover your options... he can play secondrow, Hooker and Lock... so if you do that then you have experience and a very versatile second group of players.. considering that Swain, Puletua and Henderson will be on the bench too... ;)

J-Storm
12-07-06, 10:37 PM
I have to agree with SC here, I thought Feeney was one of our better buys but unfortunately the injuries last year didnt help his cause. When we signed him and Dennis Scott, I thought Feeney was the best option of the two but easy come easy go. I just hope he latches on at a good club because he still has quite a bit to offer *hint hint Titans*...

Darren Lockyer
13-07-06, 08:34 AM
He'll be a great addition to our great titans outfit