PDA

View Full Version : Top coach's quit Broncos

Super Cronk
07-10-05, 03:01 PM
FORMER internationals Kevin Walters, Gary Belcher and Glenn Lazarus have split with Brisbane Broncos.

No helpers ... Bennett has been left alone. Pic: David Kapernick
The NRL club has announced the three premiership-winning players would seek "other" business interests.

John Dixon, who coached the club's Queensland Wizard Cup feeder club, Toowoomba, is also leaving to pursue overseas coaching opportunities in Wales.

Walters, Wayne Bennett's deputy for three seasons, resigned today to devote more attention to his Hand Wash Cafe business chain.

Belcher, the club's performance director, confirmed he'd also be leaving to pursue his business interests.

Lazarus, who coached the Broncos Colts, also resigned.

After leading the competition for 15 weeks, Brisbane finished third in the minor premiership, losing its last seven games of the 2005 NRL season.

Bennett and Broncos chief executive have been conducting a full review of the 2005 season, including the performance of its players and coaches.

There was no suggestion of the axe being run through the coaching staff.

"During the next month we will be endeavouring to fill the vacancies created today, and hopefully announcements on these appointments can be made over the coming weeks," he said.

"We are currently in negotiations with a number of possible candidates but because of their individual commitments at this time, announcements cannot be made until each has the opportunity to finalise any current obligations they may have," said Cullen.

Bennett said the personnel leaving had all given 100 per cent to the club.

"In each case I have had a long, enjoyable and fruitful association with these men and I appreciate everything they have done for me," he said.

oxsports.com.au

Queenslander
07-10-05, 03:02 PM
I knew kevin walters was going but everyone else, :eek: Bennet will be all alone, perhaps he works better alone

Dakink
07-10-05, 03:16 PM
Trouble... One can only wish. Maybe they will miss the eight *gets down on knees and prays*

Queenslander
07-10-05, 03:19 PM
Trouble... One can only wish. Maybe they will miss the eight *gets down on knees and prays*

i will just add you to my ignore list :p just kidding........but the broncos have been in the top 8 for years and years, we aint going no where but up :D

Dakink
07-10-05, 03:21 PM
i will just add you to my ignore list :p just kidding........but the broncos have been in the top 8 for years and years, we aint going no where but up :D

Last few years havent been that good.. Dare I say it - End of season chokers!!!

;) ;)

Queenslander
07-10-05, 03:23 PM

;) ;)

I think we are just being consistent ;)

Dakink
07-10-05, 03:25 PM
LOL nice one!!!!

Humour is the only way of dealing with it some times!!!

Imagine being a sharkies fan....39 years and still waiting poor buggers.

Queenslander
07-10-05, 03:27 PM
LOL nice one!!!!

Humour is the only way of dealing with it some times!!!

Imagine being a sharkies fan....39 years and still waiting poor buggers.

Yeah their day will come, they were close in super league but they were beaten by the best team going around, and what team was that? oh it was the Broncos..............GO THE BRONCOS! :D

Dakink
07-10-05, 03:29 PM
Super League??

BEst team????

Best team in half the comp....... Though they probably would have beaten anyone anyway..

Queenslander
07-10-05, 03:32 PM
Though they probably would have beaten anyone anyway..

Well the broncos did win the nrl grand final the year after :D

Super Cronk
07-10-05, 03:40 PM
Losing those guys from your club is a big loss...they are experinced guys and would be excellent for young guys coming to the club. I wonder who will replace them.

Dakink
07-10-05, 03:42 PM
I wonder if there is any dishamony in the way Bennett is running the club. Im not suggesting there is any but the clubs recent end of year troubles and these guys all leaving at once is a large coincidence. then again Hodges returns to the Broncs and has a blinder of a season!!!

This could be the best or worse thing to happen to the Broncs.

Queenslander
07-10-05, 03:43 PM
Losing those guys from your club is a big loss...they are experinced guys and would be excellent for young guys coming to the club. I wonder who will replace them.

One thing that the broncos should do is not turn to their older players, sure they have experience but i think we need to have more professional assistance, we cant just keep relying on the older players because half of the broncos are old! :D

Dakink
07-10-05, 03:47 PM
Maybe that is the where there probs are stemming from. Bennett keeps turning to players who arent performing or are past it....

Teegy
07-10-05, 04:41 PM
Broncos- lose 5 games at end of season consistantly. nothin said by the "experts"
Dragons- lose 1 game in finals. Experts say inconsistant, chokers

Dakink
07-10-05, 04:43 PM
My thoughts exactly.

The Dragons under Brown have improved every single year in table position and are labelled chokers...

..::Coops::..
07-10-05, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakink

http://www.titans.com.au//forum/images/smilies/wink.gif http://www.titans.com.au//forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

I think we are just being consistent ;)

lol - i like ur way of thinking!

Queenslander
07-10-05, 05:39 PM
The Dragons under Brown have improved every single year in table position and are labelled chokers...

But the thing is that the Dragons are not always at the best form, they have good and bad years whilst the broncos always have had many good years, with a poor ending. Remember the broncos were 1st for most of this year until the last round!

Super Cronk
07-10-05, 05:39 PM
i dont like teams being labled chokers when they fail to go further in the finals.

The storm have made it just about every year they missed out twice and got to the grand final once so are we chokers for not going further those times?

the roosters are always there but they dont win it every year are they chokers?

Queenslander
07-10-05, 05:41 PM
i dont like teams being labled chokers when they fail to go further in the finals.

The storm have made it just about every year they missed out twice and got to the grand final once so are we chokers for not going further those times?

the roosters are always there but they dont win it every year are they chokers?

I would say that roosters are chokers, whilst melbourne are not. It all depends on your own personal opinion.

Super Cronk
07-10-05, 05:45 PM
I would say that roosters are chokers, whilst melbourne are not. It all depends on your own personal opinion.

Now that i think about it a bit more...it kinda depends on the teams personel.

The roosters have had a rather strong side for many many years yet have still failed to go all the way on many occasions.

Where as the storm havent always had a team full of "superstars"(except for 98-99) and have pretty much over-achieved with the team they have had.

Queenslander
07-10-05, 05:49 PM
Now that i think about it a bit more...it kinda depends on the teams personel.

The roosters have had a rather strong side for many many years yet have still failed to go all the way on many occasions.

Where as the storm havent always had a team full of "superstars"(except for 98-99) and have pretty much over-achieved with the team they have had.

Yeah the roosters have all the money in the world, and players who are soooooo good ;) and yet they dont win any premierships. They are too sure of themselves. Melbourne are the little black duck that over achieve compared to other NSW clubs and good on them!

[BroncosGirl]
07-10-05, 05:54 PM
Hmm a s tep in the right direction, shows the club is serious about making some drastic changes...!

Teegy
07-10-05, 05:56 PM
But like this year shows. a super-star team will always beat a team of superstars

Steelers
07-10-05, 05:58 PM
But like this year shows. a super-star team will always beat a team of superstars

a good example (out of league) is the ICC Super Series on now. Look at AUS flog the World XI

..::Coops::..
07-10-05, 05:58 PM
yep exactly Teegy .. u want a champion team not a team full of champions

[BroncosGirl]
07-10-05, 06:00 PM
PErsonally and not just being biased, I think we are both... but part of the prob is we play to much like just a team of superstars... like relying on individual efforts or Lockyer Hunt Webcke etc... we need to come together like we did mid season ... So yea we need more support play :p

Super Cronk
07-10-05, 06:01 PM
']Hmm a s tep in the right direction, shows the club is serious about making some drastic changes...!

For sure. I applaud the the broncos for making these changes..they obviosuly saw that something wasnt working and needed to make changes...they got it done and out of the way quick and at the right time of year. Now they can work on improving for 2006.

[BroncosGirl]
07-10-05, 06:03 PM
For sure. I applaud the the broncos for making these changes..they obviosuly saw that something wasnt working and needed to make changes...they got it done and out of the way quick and at the right time of year. Now they can work on improving for 2006.

I just hope since they're willing to do that with the coaches, that they'll do that with the players too, IM not necessarily talking about sacking players, but not being afriad to drop them from the team if they're nto performing or to move them around, despite their "favourite" position :rolleyes:

Super Cronk
07-10-05, 06:05 PM
']I just hope since they're willing to do that with the coaches, that they'll do that with the players too, IM not necessarily talking about sacking players, but not being afriad to drop them from the team if they're nto performing or to move them around, despite their "favourite" position :rolleyes:

That is up to bennet to make the tough calls. He needs to stop giving old mates favours and do whats best for the team..hopefully now with those other guys gone someone will step up and say OI we should give so and so a run.

[BroncosGirl]
07-10-05, 06:08 PM
Ooh thats what Im hoping ... Im wondering who will come into the mix.. Ikin?
I just hope the new coaching staff, aren't afraid to say like you aid... lets give this person a go...

Queenslander
07-10-05, 06:12 PM
']Ooh thats what Im hoping ... Im wondering who will come into the mix.. Ikin?

Father and son-in-law combo, interesting but we dont need ex-players we need coaches

Super Cronk
07-10-05, 06:14 PM
Father and son-in-law combo, interesting but we dont need ex-players we need coaches

EXACTLY!

You dont need any has-beens(not that those players arent good...but move on!) to coach....You need guys who will bring the best out of the players.

and no your not getting bellamy back.

Queenslander
07-10-05, 06:15 PM
and no your not getting bellamy back.

oh, can we just borrowing him for like a couple of seasons please ;)

Super Cronk
07-10-05, 06:17 PM
oh, can we just borrowing him for like a couple of seasons please ;)

only if we can borrow lockyer :p

Queenslander
07-10-05, 06:18 PM
only if we can borrow lockyer :p

yeah you can have him............when he retires :p

Super Cronk
07-10-05, 06:20 PM
yeah you can have him............when he retires :p

Thats fine with me..he will still be a legend.

Queenslander
07-10-05, 06:21 PM
Thats fine with me..he will still be a legend.

True that, he can be your water boy ;)

[BroncosGirl]
07-10-05, 06:22 PM

Bahah I always forget about that, son in law thing. Who else would come into the mix. I don't think it would hurt to have an ex player like Ikin on the team, he might have fresh ideas for the team, and through out the year, he did make several comments about the Broncos, and they were struggling, and how new/younger guys needed to be given a go...

Its not like we're calling Ikin to come back to play (been there done that,;) ) we just need some new ideas, and if Ikin has some, then so be it.

Who else could come into the mix?

Super Cronk
07-10-05, 06:22 PM
True that, he can be your water boy ;)

lol...or how bout our coach? when bellamy goes back up there to coach you guys...locky coach us :)

Queenslander
07-10-05, 06:26 PM
The idea of getting ex-players to coach was cute at first but now we just have to get pro's to knock our boys into shape. To be honest i dont have a clue about where we can turn to. I still think we only need one coach not a forwards coach and a backs coach and a speed coach etc etc. These players know what they are doing (they should they are in the NRL) all they need is one man to show them the way, motivate them if you will, to win. Something must be going wrong at the Broncos the end of the year slump is just beyond wrong, and we cannot blame injuries. The broncos must get up and get going, they are big boys they know how to play!

ridgey
07-10-05, 07:41 PM
if ben ikin ends up on the coaching staff at the broncos i'll give it away deadset!
he was the worst 5\8 to pull on a boot so what on earth could he offer to the broncos?
i think the broncos need a couple of hard nuts like say a billy johnstone.when the broncos we're at their best during the early 90's and towards 2000 they had tough as nails conditioners.1 was a bloke by the name of kelvin giles and the other was steve nance,who has also been with the wallabies and english premier league side fulham.when these 2 blokes we're at the club the broncos we're arguably 1 of the fittest team's in the comp and their results proved it.there was no stumbling at origin time(and back then they could supply up to 9 or 10 players)and they used to kick up a gear towards the end of every game when fatigue was setting in.maybe they need to get real men with coaching experience back to the club to bring these blokes back down to earth.not ex players who are all buddy buddy with the player's and when the going get's tough can't make the hard decisions.

Dakink
07-10-05, 07:54 PM
Not a bad thought - It seems that the Broncs are lacking a littleof that 'edge'. The SOO hangover excuse holds water no more with other teams providing large numbers of players and having little or no disadvantage from it.

Queenslander
07-10-05, 07:58 PM
The broncos survived SOO well this year, but after a couple of games they went down the dark path yet again. Perhaps we could get some broncos supporters to line up along the side line and give the players a good kick up the bum as they run onto the field ;) That would motivate me to play well :D

Steelers
07-10-05, 07:59 PM
The SOO hangover excuse holds water no more with other teams providing large numbers of players and having little or no disadvantage from it.

Well the Cowboys made the GF and they had quite a few players in SOO, so yes they can't use that excuse no more.

Dakink
07-10-05, 08:00 PM
Hehe bit of public flogging might do them the world of good you reckon?

Chaos
07-10-05, 09:37 PM
if ben ikin ends up on the coaching staff at the broncos i'll give it away deadset!
he was the worst 5\8 to pull on a boot so what on earth could he offer to the broncos?
i think the broncos need a couple of hard nuts like say a billy johnstone.when the broncos we're at their best during the early 90's and towards 2000 they had tough as nails conditioners.1 was a bloke by the name of kelvin giles and the other was steve nance,who has also been with the wallabies and english premier league side fulham.when these 2 blokes we're at the club the broncos we're arguably 1 of the fittest team's in the comp and their results proved it.there was no stumbling at origin time(and back then they could supply up to 9 or 10 players)and they used to kick up a gear towards the end of every game when fatigue was setting in.maybe they need to get real men with coaching experience back to the club to bring these blokes back down to earth.not ex players who are all buddy buddy with the player's and when the going get's tough can't make the hard decisions.

Woohoo...give it to em Rigdey!

Petro is a good example...big and capable of hurting guys but where's his emotion?
I'd be slapping him in the face before the game, to fire him up.
He should be scaring people!

Steelers
07-10-05, 09:39 PM

right on the money there

DeeGan
08-10-05, 12:23 AM
I feel there is more behind this other than the trio leaving to 'pursue other interests'. Thats just cynical ol' me.

Look for John Monie to play a more prominent role is my tip.

DeeGan

ridgey
08-10-05, 12:52 PM
I feel there is more behind this other than the trio leaving to 'pursue other interests'. Thats just cynical ol' me.

Look for John Monie to play a more prominent role is my tip.

DeeGan

yeah DeeGan that exact thought crossed my mind as well john monie has been a close friend of bennetts for years.

DeeGan
08-10-05, 12:56 PM

Who you going for in 2006 ridgey? I read this morning that Ben Ikin is being brought in to the coaching ranks (possible Clydesdales coach) as well as Kelly Egan from the Cowboys and Terry Matterson from Canberra.

DeeGan

ridgey
08-10-05, 01:02 PM
i've never been a broncos fan mate, after the diehards died literally i've followed the teams on the coast(until their demise) and the knights.
that's why i'm over the moon about the TITANS,the best team in south east QLD!

Lennox Titan
08-10-05, 04:50 PM
i've never been a broncos fan mate, after the diehards died literally i've followed the teams on the coast(until their demise) and the knights.
that's why i'm over the moon about the TITANS,the best team in south east QLD!

Ben Ikin? my god what is going on at that club. What a joke.

Bennett sacks the staff because they are yes men but he knows he is a Dictator so what does he expect?

Pity for Kev Walters, he is a decent guy who probably just had the best interests of the club at heart, unlike some!

Teegy
08-10-05, 04:57 PM
Ikin wouldn't be that bad a the Clydesdales coach. everyone has to get a start somewhere

ridgey
09-10-05, 10:55 AM
i know it's still early days but i find it hard to believe not 1 of the player's has been made accountable for their end of season slumps and been given their marching orders.

i'd release-
seymour
carlaw
b.berrigan
minto

Queenslander
09-10-05, 11:00 AM
i know it's still early days but i find it hard to believe not 1 of the player's has been made accountable for their end of season slumps and been given their marching orders.

i'd release-
seymour
carlaw
b.berrigan
minto

Yeah but coaches and admin always take the fall for end of season slumps. And personally i wouldnt release any of those players. There is no point if we release them who will replace them, they have done enough for the broncos and they deserve to be there.

ridgey
09-10-05, 11:04 AM
seymour-casey mcguire until they can find a better 1/2,should never had let berrick barnes go.
carlaw-sam thaiday
b.berrigan-ennis
minto-hodges back to the wing or a guy by the name of gideon mzembe.he played for wests(broncos colts)this year and is a real flyer.or steve michaels he is more of a centre though.

Queenslander
09-10-05, 11:10 AM
seymour-casey mcguire until they can find a better 1/2,should never had let berrick barnes go.
carlaw-sam thaiday
b.berrigan-ennis
minto-hodges back to the wing or a guy by the name of gideon mzembe.he played for wests(broncos colts)this year and is a real flyer.

We havent got Ennis offically yet! Thaiday hasnt really proved himself yet. Hodges isn't happy where he is but is playing well, Minto is mainly a replacement anyway. Seymour was perfect at the start of the year but did drop, give him time and there will be a good halves combo between him and lockyer.

And the broncos didnt put up much of a fight for Barnes, which i dont understand why. I went to school with both Barnes and Gideon Mzembe and they are both good players, but there is no need to chop players. The Broncos mainly have an attitude problem which they get at the end of the season.

ridgey
09-10-05, 11:30 AM
yeah but see that's the broncos biggest problem.you say thaiday hasn't proved himself yet,how is he supposed to when he is losing out to guy's like darren smith,jane carlaw and co.bennett just has no faith in his younger brigade and blokes like thaiday will just continue to leave the club.

Queenslander
09-10-05, 11:35 AM
bennett just has no faith in his younger brigade and blokes like thaiday will just continue to leave the club.

Dont forget Karmichael Hunt, he is only 18 ;) bennet took a huge risk last year with him, we cant go all young players cause they will lack direction. That is why Darren Smith is a perfect player to put in now, he has experience and players look up to him......and he is playing so well so why get rid of him :) And players just cant expect to go straight to the broncos they must wait in lower teams until the time is right, Bennet knows what he is doing and im sure this will pay off in the future.

Super Cronk
09-10-05, 11:43 AM
Broncos at war

THE Broncos are facing the biggest crisis in their 18-year history, with sacked assistant Kevin Walters last night firing a parting shot at coach Wayne Bennett.

The reaction from Walters - one of Brisbane's favourite sons and a loyal Bennett servant - came amid revelations of low morale and a player mutiny towards sacked performance co-ordinator Gary Belcher.

On Friday, Bennett delivered a bombshell, sacking Belcher, Glenn Lazarus and trusted right-hand man Walters after an intensive review of the club's operations.

Bennett's fourth and remaining assistant, John Dixon, also severed ties with the club to accept a coaching post in Wales.

On the day of the bloodletting, Walters refused to discuss the circumstances that led to his axing. But yesterday he revealed he was told to find another job by Bennett - making a mockery of a Broncos press release that claimed Walters resigned to focus on his car wash business.

Just two weeks ago, Walters told The Sunday Telegraph he was content at the Broncos and "was not going anywhere as far as I know".

"I still don't know why I've been moved on," said Walters, who played 241 first-grade games for the club and won five premierships under Bennett.

"Wayne never gave me a reason [for the sacking]. He just called me in and said, 'You're better off trying to find a job at another club'.

"It's disappointing. I love this club and I wanted to be here, but it was either Wayne or us, and clearly it was us."

Asked if the fallout from his sacking would end their friendship, Walters said: "I guess we're still friends but it would have been nice if Wayne let me know halfway through the year and I could have made some plans.

"Clearly I'm not a yes man, that's why I'm no longer there. I find this all a bit puzzling."

The Walters sacking is just one element in a series of ructions that prompted decisive action from Bennett, who has been criticised for being too rigid and too loyal to under-achieving players.

The Sunday Telegraph understands Belcher was released after losing the respect of senior players, who were disenchanted with his training methods.

Morale, it seems, is an issue at the club, with just five players agreeing to take part in the end-of-season trip.

It is also understood two rookie players had fallen out of favour with Bennett this season and were compelled to improve their attitude to training.

But Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen slammed suggestions the club is in crisis and defended the besieged Bennett.

"Sacking Wayne is not the answer," said Cullen. "Wayne is totally accountable, he has said the buck stops with him.

"But what are we trying to account for? The facts are these: we were 40 minutes away from being minor premiers this season. We've made the semis 14 years in a row under Wayne.

"The Roosters didn't make the finals this year, but Ricky Stuart's head's not on the chopping block.

"This should not be a blame game. Wayne still has a hell of a lot to contribute, but we wonder if the people and structure around him detracted from that."

Queensland greats Wally Lewis and Arthur Beetson last night questioned the Broncos' actions, with Beetson accusing Bennett of disloyalty.

"Some of these blokes have been very loyal to Benny and now they are gone. It seems there hasn't been much loyalty shown," said Beetson.

"I find it hard to believe Kevin would rather wash bloody cars than coach at the Broncos."

Lewis, who was stripped of the Broncos captaincy by Bennett in 1990, said: "I'm sure the club asked Wayne who was to blame for the performance this year and he wouldn't have looked at himself. But I know who's been there the longest."

Former Broncos reserve grade coach Ivan Henjak is tipped to return to the club.

Cullen insisted the Broncos would not conduct a shake-up of the playing squad.

Sundaytelegraph.com.au

Not good for the broncos....but atleast its happening now and not at the start of next year or worse half way through the season.

DeeGan
09-10-05, 11:49 AM
Well there is seemingly more to this story involving Bennett and the sacking of Belcher, Walters and Lazo.

Also, I am hearing Michael Ennis's signature is a done deal with Brisbane which will solved their goalkicking issues of 2005.

DeeGan

ridgey
09-10-05, 11:58 AM
oh well i'm sick of talking bout em,their results will speak for em selves.

Super Cronk
09-10-05, 11:59 AM
oh well i'm sick of talking bout em,their results will speak for em selves.

sick of talking about what?

ridgey
09-10-05, 12:01 PM
the broncos!

Super Cronk
09-10-05, 12:08 PM
the broncos!

noone is forcing you to post in this thread. They dont have a gun to your head telling you to read this thread ;).

ridgey
10-10-05, 04:36 PM
noone is forcing you to post in this thread. They dont have a gun to your head telling you to read this thread ;).

that's right no gun to the head,but you don't live in Brisbane so you wouldn't understand my pain ;)

[BroncosGirl]
10-10-05, 06:31 PM
that's right no gun to the head,but you don't live in Brisbane so you wouldn't understand my pain ;)

Then move, what else do you expect in Brisbane :rolleyes: I hate it when people live in Brisbane then complain abotu all the coverage they get, well duh :p

(if thats not what you're talking about then I apologise)

Queenslander
10-10-05, 07:38 PM
']Then move, what else do you expect in Brisbane :rolleyes: I hate it when people live in Brisbane then complain abotu all the coverage they get, well duh :p

Exactly, in a one team town what do you expect........detailed reports about the rabbitohs ;)

Super Cronk
10-10-05, 10:32 PM
FORMER Canberra halfback Ivan Henjak and State of Origin players Peter Ryan and Paul Green have scored positions on Brisbane's revamped 2006 coaching roster.

rest of the article>>> http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16875939-23214,00.html

Steelers
10-10-05, 10:50 PM
rest of the article>>> http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16875939-23214,00.html

what is it with the broncos and former players! this is why they have been failing and they will continue to fail

Super Cronk
10-10-05, 11:03 PM
what is it with the broncos and former players! this is why they have been failing and they will continue to fail

failing?

Dakink
11-10-05, 01:29 PM
A little bit more

Broncos bring in new coaching team
Written by: Broncos media
11/10/2005 Views: 46
Former Canberra halfback Ivan Henjak, and former State of Origin players Peter Ryan and Paul Green have scored positions on Brisbane's revamped NRL coaching roster for 2006.

Three days after running the cleaners through Wayne Bennett's support staff of assistant coach Kevin Walters, performance director Gary Belcher and Colts coach and forward advisor Glenn Lazarus, the club named four new key appointments today.

Burleigh Bears Queensland Cup assistant coach Mark Gee will take over the reins at Brisbane feeder club Toowoomba from John Dixon, who is heading to Britain to continue his coaching career.

Didnt Ryan come in and try to help pre-finals????

All Heil King Bennett... Not

Coaster
11-10-05, 04:18 PM
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16879175-23214,00.html

Opinion by Paul Kent
October 11, 2005

WAYNE Bennett, who casts the biggest shadow in the game, is a man under attack for the very trait that has made him one of the great ones.

That is the irony, the sadness and the hypocrisy.

Only a shallow dig into the past of those who came out on the weekend and attacked Bennett, after he sacked his coaching staff last Friday, will find all were sacked by him.

Number one critic was Willie Carne, who did little of any significance again after Bennett sacked him.

There was Trevor Gillmeister, who faded away at Penrith, and Wally Lewis, the all-time great who couldn't put together another winning season after Bennett gave him the punt.

Bennett's sacking of Gary Belcher, Glenn Lazarus and Kevin Walters from his coaching staff last Friday was enough cause, it seems, for them to attempt to settle old scores. Once again it reveals their own failings, and anyone else who buys into Bennett's purge as blame-shifting has missed the lesson of history.

Belcher, Lazarus and Walters might not have been the problem at the Broncos, but after several unsatisfactory years by Brisbane standards, they are clearly not the answer, either.

So getting it right again starts with Bennett.

He couldn't have quit himself because nobody was able to do a better job.

Five premierships has taught the coach that. By accepting this truth, and making the tough call, Bennett has gone back to an old formula.

When Jack Gibson coached his rule was never stay at a club for more than three years, and for all coaches it became a rule set in stone.

Gibson, perhaps the greatest ever, believed he needed to move on before he tired of the players and the players tired of him, and three years was about the limit.

So he would take his entire coaching staff with him to his new club and there he would refresh his enthusiasm and also his ideas.

He did the same for the players, too. Bennett changed it by doing it the other way.

People wonder why Bennett has been able to stay at a club for 18 seasons and get them into the past 14 finals series.

It was a simple reversal.

Rather than refresh himself by finding a new club, Bennett refreshed his ideas by hiring new talent under him.

He hired ex-players that had played under Gibson, Warren Ryan, Tim Sheens, Brian Smith and other coaches that have made their mark.

Then he questioned them, and challenged the ideas they brought with them. If he liked their response he stole it for the Broncos, if he didn't he explained why. Then he was challenged by them about his ideas, and questioned why, and it all worked for the good of the Broncos.

In the past few years Bennett strayed, though, and hired his coaching staff not for their smarts but for loyalty, for what they did for him as players.

The Broncos declined in that period, ideas grew stale.

By making the tough call Bennett has taken the steps to reinvigorate the Broncos.

As for the opinions of the disgruntled, well, it just underlines the coach's decision.

The Daily Telegraph

A different view of it

Steve Dangerous
11-10-05, 04:56 PM
I guess they got to the point where they had to do something, and Bennett is at a point now where it's extremely unlikely for him to leave or get sacked so this was the only alternative.

I don't really rate Kevvy as coaching type. We need some good young football minds like Bellamy or somebody really trying to mix things up a bit than Kev who just sat in the mould and went with the flow of the broncos culture.

ridgey
11-10-05, 05:53 PM
']Then move, what else do you expect in Brisbane :rolleyes: I hate it when people live in Brisbane then complain abotu all the coverage they get, well duh :p

sorry but i was around in this town way before the broncos we're baby!

Queenslander
11-10-05, 06:21 PM
failing?

Exactly, THE BRONCOS ARE NOT FAILING geez its just a end of season slump, We have been in the finals for the past 14 years and that is something Broncos supporters are proud of! :)

Dakink
11-10-05, 07:37 PM
An end of season slump that hasnt seen you win a semi game since'01 (from memory).

It is also an end of season slump that has seen you regularly fall from high on the ladder and go out butt first. Id be concerned if my club did this 5 years in a row.

Queenslander
11-10-05, 07:48 PM
An end of season slump that hasnt seen you win a semi game since'01 (from memory).

It is also an end of season slump that has seen you regularly fall from high on the ladder and go out butt first. Id be concerned if my club did this 5 years in a row.

Im am concerned but people are making this out to be "the end of the broncos" and that "the broncos will not survive" when the opposite is true. Peoples dislike for the broncos just annoys the heck out of me and people just jump on top of issues at the broncos and tries to esculate them into problems of biblical proportions.

Dakink
11-10-05, 07:50 PM
No - we are only hoping that it is the beginning of the end for the Broncos. they are too good to slide to far - cant stop us from wishing and cheering when they do slide!

Plenty of people dislike my club - I dont think any club has more media pressure thatn the Dragons. I tend to ignore them.

Teegy
11-10-05, 07:54 PM
No - we are only hoping that it is the beginning of the end for the Broncos. they are too good to slide to far - cant stop us from wishing and cheering when they do slide!

Plenty of people dislike my club - I dont think any club has more media pressure thatn the Dragons. I tend to ignore them.
I am exactly the same. dragons press is useally way off the mark

Steelers
11-10-05, 10:00 PM
failing?

towards the end of the season. the extra coaching staff just aren't experienced enough so they probably overwork the players.

Super Cronk
11-10-05, 10:33 PM
towards the end of the season. the extra coaching staff just aren't experienced enough so they probably overwork the players.

i disagree with that. I think they are experinced they arent some bums off the street who dont know anything aobut the players and rugby league. The only thing they are really guilty of is being to chummy with the players and bennet. And letting mate-ship get in the way of doing their job. The broncos havent failed...but if they dont do something about it then later on down the track it will be seen as a big failure.