PDA

View Full Version : Titans 2008: Robina Venue takes shape

DeeGan
07-10-05, 12:41 PM
Robina Venue takes shape

This is the stunning winning design for the 25,000-seat Gold Coast Stadium at Robina.

http://www.titans.com.au/images/pictures/large/stad2.jpg

Premier Peter Beattie will announce today that the architects who designed the highly praised Suncorp Stadium, Telstra Stadium and Telstra Dome have also been appointed to create the $100 million Gold Coast Stadium. With a brief to reflect the Gold Coast's identity, HOK Sport +Venue + Event Pty Ltd has come up with the winning proposal to blend the stadium in with the surrounding Robina town centre.

``It is an exciting concept and I am sure the new stadium will become an iconic landmark in Queensland,'' said Mr Beattie last night.

``It is a high-quality design which makes good use of the land and site specifications. The architect has paid particular attention to integrating the stadium into the Robina urban centre.''

Mr Beattie said the design brief to companies stressed the need for the stadium to reflect the identity of the Coast.

``The design and location of this stadium will enhance the appeal of Robina as the sporting and entertainment precinct on the Gold Coast,'' he said.

``It will be a fully functional, quality rugby league, rugby union and soccer venue.''

http://www.titans.com.au/images/pictures/large/stad6.jpg

Mr Beattie said HOK Sport had a strong background in designing world-class stadiums.

`Their expertise and experience has been demonstrated with projects such as Telstra Stadium, Telstra Dome and international stadiums,'' he said.

`Of course, they also designed what I believe is the best stadium in the world - Suncorp Stadium.''

http://www.titans.com.au/images/pictures/large/stad3.jpg

HOK Sport would now prepare detailed designs that are based on their successful proposal.

The final cost of the stadium would be determined after the selection process for a building consultant was completed by the end of October to ensure a competitive costing of the stadium was obtained.

Construction of the stadium was expected to start in mid-2006, with commissioning to follow early in 2008 in time for the kick-off of the 2008 NRL season.

The Gold Coast Titans rugby league team will play their first season in 2007 at the old Carrara stadium, which will be upgraded for the comfort of spectators.

The Gold Coast Stadium will be owned and operated by the Government, through the Major Sports Facilities Authority.

The authority has engaged the Department of Public Works to be the principal and con-struction authority for the new stadium.

The MSFA currently operates Suncorp Stadium, the Gabba, the Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre, the Brisbane Entertainment Centre, the Sleeman Centre and Dairy Farmers Stadium in Townsville.

`It is an exciting concept and I am sure the new stadium will become an iconic landmark in Queensland'

Article provided courtesy of the Gold Coast Bulletin
By Suzanne Lappeman, Political reporter

A stadium fit for the Titans ;)

Post your thoughts here.

DeeGan

Queenslander
07-10-05, 12:43 PM
wow, now that is a nice stadium :)

DeeGan
07-10-05, 12:43 PM
Specators will be close to the action, the atmosphere will be IMO similar to that of a premiere league soccer game in England or for those closer to home, the atmosphere felt in the Tigers v Dragons game a few weeks back.

The Colisseum is born :)

DeeGan

Queenslander
07-10-05, 12:45 PM
Will it actually be called "Gold Coast Stadium"? They have to name it something better than that!

Lennox Titan
07-10-05, 01:30 PM
I liked the old Seagulls Stadium. It only held about 10 thousand but it was amazing how close you were to the action. We barely ever won a game but the atmosphere was still good.

Teegy
07-10-05, 01:49 PM
Seagull Stadium was awsome. close to the action and great atmosphere

GT_Titan
07-10-05, 02:13 PM
Seagull Stadium was awsome. close to the action and great atmosphere

I agree, Seagulls Stadium always had a fantastic astomsphere. The Southern stand...banging our feet on the metal seating...what a noise we could make. Shame we didn't win many matches back then. I was down the Tweed last weekend, I can't believe they built houses on it. :(

The new stadium looks terrific, and with a packed house...even better. Can't wait for that 1st game there...the atmosphere will be electric.

Dakink
07-10-05, 02:16 PM
Ahh I well remember banging my feet there as well!

I reckon that stadium looks sensational!

Steelers
07-10-05, 05:12 PM
That is a great stadium and sure to create quite an atmosphere when full.

League Freak
07-10-05, 06:42 PM
Brilliant.

It also looks like it would be able to be expanded on should the need arise in the future which is great.

Brycey
07-10-05, 06:42 PM
There looks like there are hotels beside the stadium. Whats the story there?

Dakink
07-10-05, 07:01 PM
DeeGan could answer that better but from memory they are planning an entire precinct, hotels, cafes etc not just the ground...

ridgey
07-10-05, 07:08 PM
just can't wait for this facility guys,the year at carrara will be a distant memory once we sit our bum's in this little beauty!

DeeGan
08-10-05, 12:19 AM
There looks like there are hotels beside the stadium. Whats the story there?

Don't read too much into it Brycey, this is the 'artists impression' and this could be anything from the Leagues Club we are looking at in 2008 or simply to add to the presentation.

In saying the above, the management team will explore ALL possibilites for this state of the art venue ;)

DeeGan

Moejoe
08-10-05, 12:47 AM
I did notice on my drive passed the site the other day there is a big sign that says Robina sporting complex (something to those words anyway) on the sign it has a picture of cafe's, shops and sporting events. I would almost imagine a similar type of thing as what they tried up at runaway bay as far as the sport side of things. (Can any one tell me if that athletics stadium up there ever gets used?) Rugby/Soccer ground Cricket ovals mayby netball or BBall courts ect.

Shadow XL
08-10-05, 07:17 PM
it gets used by like under 15 etc competitions.

Moejoe
08-10-05, 11:10 PM
it gets used by like under 15 etc competitions.

Not the Runaway bay leagues club, Im talking about the sports complex accross the road. Just seems a bit out of place, Ive never heard of it being used?

Phase3
11-10-05, 07:15 AM
Don't read too much into it Brycey, this is the 'artists impression' and this could be anything from the Leagues Club we are looking at in 2008 or simply to add to the presentation.

DeeGan

Something that was sorely missed in the Chargers days was a leagues club (no Nerang Allsports is not a leagues club!) whats on the drawing board for the Titans? :confused:

Mark
19-10-05, 06:30 PM
The old Gold Coast "Dolphins" junior side used to train at Runaway Bay.

It seems to be used more of a training facilty really by what I see, but I am sure they do hold athletics events there.

Coaster
19-10-05, 06:37 PM
The Sports center beside Runaway Bay FC, is used mainly by athlets, its full atm, with them all getting into swing for the Commonwealth games.

Its a awesome center, and footy clubs come up during the season for a little R&R, they go here for training.

Have seen the SOO sides there, and many international sides(including cricket)

Def worth a look, has state of the art equipment. (and plenty of hot ladies :eek: )

It has
-An international standard athletics track with world-class Mondo service.
-Weight-lifting pavilion.
-Separate areas for throwing events.
-Six-target archery range.
-Nine accommodation lodges with 320 beds.
-Fully equipped 1000m square state-of the-art gymnasium.
-50m Olympic swimming pool and 20m indoor pool.
-A 350 seat restaurant.
-Childcare centre.
-Sports medicine, science and rehabilitation rooms.
-Corporate and conference facilities.
-Synthetic-surface and natural glass surface rugby field.
-Sports and educational holiday camps.
-Two international standard beach-volleyball courts

Eel 33
21-10-05, 11:58 AM
As others have said, Seagulls Stadium had an awesome atmosphere, because you were close to the game and "feel" every part of the match.
There were a few problems though:
1. Access to and from the ground was shocking.
2. They rarely won a game, so there was no real "intimidation" factor of going there, I could go on but i've just lost my train of thought.
I really loved the aluminium stands though, man could you make some noise.

The one mistake made in this design is the capacity, it's not quite big enough. Yes I can hear you saying look at all the games in the past season that sold out or were close to selling out at Leichhardt, Parramatta, WIN, Campbelltown etc, and the atmosphere that was created with the crowd so close to the action. I acknowledge that, but I heard so many ppl whinging about some of the Tigers games being shifted to Telstra so more could see the game, but those games lost the "intimidation" factor of Leichhardt and Campbelltown.
I thought 30000 would've been a better number. It's not as big as Suncorp, but big enough for a growing Gold Coast population that has supporters supporting most teams in the comp. I really hope they've got room to expand if the need was warranted in the future. You've only got 1 chance to get this stadium right, do it right first time. :cool:

Lennox Titan
22-10-05, 05:40 AM
The one mistake made in this design is the capacity, it's not quite big enough. Yes I can hear you saying look at all the games in the past season that sold

I agree because I believe within 5 years the Titans will be the best supported club in Australia. It may have just been a matter of funding though and there is always the option to play at Suncorp. If they are a winning team they will draw 40,000 + against the traditional clubs.

Dakink
22-10-05, 09:46 AM
I dont mind the smaller capacity to start with as it will ensure atmosphere after the initial frenzy of the club joining the NRL. There may have also been budgetry considerations, I would be hoping though that they do plan for the future and desingn a stadium that can be added to!!!

I think 25-30k is perfect and in 8-10 years if we are getting regular sell outs, then upgrade. Nothing worse than playing in freont of 15k in a 50k stadium. 15k in a 25k stadium on the other hand can still generate unbeleivable atmosphere!

Steelers
22-10-05, 10:38 AM
I dont mind the smaller capacity to start with as it will ensure atmosphere after the initial frenzy of the club joining the NRL. There may have also been budgetry considerations, I would be hoping though that they do plan for the future and desingn a stadium that can be added to!!!

I think 25-30k is perfect and in 8-10 years if we are getting regular sell outs, then upgrade. Nothing worse than playing in freont of 15k in a 50k stadium. 15k in a 25k stadium on the other hand can still generate unbeleivable atmosphere!

Have to agree there. The average crowds in the general season are about 25k, which means this stadium is perfect.

Eel 33
22-10-05, 10:39 AM
Don't get me wrong, I was never saying that the coast needed a "huge" stadium. I agree with your point Dakink, 50000 is too much atm. 30000 is a figure that will allow a huge crowd to attend, but won't look that big if say 15000 or less turn up for a team that doesn't have a huge following.

Dakink
22-10-05, 10:50 AM
Yep thats true - 30k is a reasonable size but not to hard to create an atmosphere if our crowds have a dip at all.

mightybears
25-10-05, 11:47 AM
the design just needs to be flexible, so that an increase by 5000 or 10000 is not too costly down the track

The Original Idiot
29-10-05, 11:16 AM
A couple of nights ago I was listening to triple m and they said that the Coast has no real community. We need something to make these people shut up.

titans_fanatic
29-10-05, 07:16 PM
looks great i rekon 25000 is great i hate stadiums that have a capisity of 50000 plus when small crowds are there .There is no or little atmosphere

Super Cronk
03-11-05, 01:12 PM
where abouts is the robina staduim located? im trying to find it on google earth.

Queenslander
03-11-05, 01:15 PM
To the west of the gold coast ;) thats the best detail that i can give you.............Try looking for a train line, a large shopping centre and a big block of empty land

Coaster
03-11-05, 07:39 PM
Right next to the Robina train station, about 50 meters away.

Cant miss it :naughty:

Super Cronk
03-11-05, 08:21 PM
Right next to the Robina train station, about 50 meters away.

Cant miss it :naughty:

lol..wheres the train station

Queenslander
03-11-05, 08:27 PM
lol..wheres the train station

At robina :p i tried to use google earth by following the train line from, but it didnt work. The train line turned into a road and i ended up at some houses :laugh:

DIEHARD
03-11-05, 09:51 PM
Google Earth sat pictures can be several years old.

You can get a great look at Lang Park though, almost looks like a model!