PDA

View Full Version : Should State of Origin be played in Melbourne

Teegy
04-07-06, 05:41 PM
Should State of Origin be played in Melbourne?

i say no because it is a game that is really between QLD and NSW. i know the arguement of promting the game and not leting league die off and to even it out i think they should get 2 or 3 internationals played their a year.

~Wild Child~
04-07-06, 05:49 PM
The more the merrier...Take it as far as it can go :)

Teegy
04-07-06, 05:53 PM
wouldnt it be more effective if we took games their that could actually include more Victorians and more of the stars of rugby league from New Zealand, Australia and Great Britain.

Steelers
04-07-06, 07:07 PM
Well I originally thought no, because I thought the majority of the crowd would be people flying down for the game... but only 10-15% are non-Victorians (read it somewhere)... so I say YES :)

Super Cronk
04-07-06, 08:27 PM
It shouldnt be played there regularly IMO. But it does need to be played down there...

I think this years one is soley for growing and promoting the game in Victoria which i am all for doing. Teegy you say they should put more tests down there.....but SOO is the pinacle of Rugby league...it doesnt get any better then SOO, tests matches the last 5 or so years have mostly been lop sided affairs to the Aussies, whereas SOO just about every year is a tough and close battle....I dont think many people will head out to see the aussies put 50 on the kiwis.

I know that tradionally it should only be played in QLD and NSW....but when you think about it SOO selection etc is a joke anyway. When a kiwi can choose to play for an Australian state...then its a joke.

Also the state that you play at when you are the age of 16 is how you are sorted into your states. Why is it not where you are born? why is it not based on where you play premier league or similar?

The selectors make a joke out of SOO almost every year also.....so honestly i dont know why so many people are up on arms about which state it should be played.

Just wrapping up i think it should be used to promote and grow the game in the near future but not used as a long term event.

DeeGan
04-07-06, 10:22 PM
Yes, we should take the game to Melbourne (perhaps the first one instead) though not every season. I think every two to three seasons is suffice. Rugby League should be looking to capitalise on tomorrow's game and the success of the Melbourne Storm in 2006, we need a team in Melbourne, let's hope we invest our money and time wisely from 2006 onward.

J-Storm
04-07-06, 10:44 PM
As a lot of people are saying (not just here on the msgboards) there should be a regular fixture of SOO in Melbourne. Now whether taht be every 2nd or 3rd year, whether it be the 1st or last game, that could be worked out I'm sure. But if we want a TRULY national game, you have to promote it to get people interested. And what better way than our showpiece of Mate against Mate and State against State...

Titanium_BD1103
05-07-06, 09:10 AM
I agree with the need to give Melbourne Rugby League otherwise it will die in Victoria.. however I believe that the decider is such an important game, a neutral state who has nothing to do with SOO does not deserve to get it EVER.

I reckon give Melbourne either Games 1 or 2 of the series... the decider should stay with the 2 sides competing in the battle, that is NSW and QLD, so that their fans can sit in the stadium and go and try and get their team home, whilst the other side battles against the odds.... that is what SOO is all about, and giving Melbourne the decider ruins that idea... as you have neutral fans cheering with no advantage to anyone.. :(

So yes I for the game of SOO going to Melbourne, they deserve to see your greatest spectacle, but only Games 1 and 2... you will never change me from saying THE DECIDER is a NSW and QLD thing only... and Victoria should keep their grubby hands away from it IMO.... :D :D

Hoppy2007Dragons
05-07-06, 10:32 AM
But if we want a TRULY national game

That is the NRL,

State of origin is for two states, the Queensland Rugby League vs New South Wales Rugby League, different organisations to the NRL, that organised the first game and now the nrl governs it.

The NRL is a national game, the have given queensland, new south wales and victoria oppurtunity to put teams on the map, hopefully in 5 years time, another victorian team or south australian or even western austrlian team can be established to spread it futhur.

Go_The_Doggies
05-07-06, 03:41 PM
It's a great idea to have it in melbourne!!

BRONCOS FAN
05-07-06, 03:48 PM
Well it should'nt cause Victora has nothing to do with it. But i like it in one way because it gives Qld a good advtage..

Manly Boy
07-07-06, 03:14 PM
I think it's a good idea as it will get more audience to melbourne agmes and more supporters to our form of football...It can't hurt playing a few games away from Qld or NSW...can it?

SuperCliffy#01
07-07-06, 03:47 PM
Yes every second year and it should be the third game.cya. :beer:

Kallan
07-07-06, 03:49 PM
Yes every second year and it should be the third game.cya. :beer:
yes every second year, meaning the that NSW never get two home games :) More for us queenslanders :D

Super Cronk
07-07-06, 05:00 PM
I just want to ask those that are agianst it.

Lets just say hypothetically...that if by taking SOO down to Melbourne...that the Storm home crowds increased to a average of 14,000 and it meant league becoming BIG down south....then would you like the idea? would it be worth it?

Teegy
07-07-06, 05:04 PM
I just want to ask those that are agianst it.

Lets just say hypothetically...that if by taking SOO down to Melbourne...that the Storm home crowds increased to a average of 14,000 and it meant league becoming BIG down south....then would you like the idea? would it be worth it?
yes. but i ask would it not be better to have Austraila game insteed as they could have Victorians actually playing in the game then. and it would show case more of the games stars

Super Cronk
07-07-06, 05:06 PM
yes. but i ask would it not be better to have Austraila game insteed as they could have Victorians actually playing in the game then. and it would show case more of the games stars

As i said in another thread....Test games dont match upto SOO games. Not alot of people want to go to see Aussies put 50 on New Zealand or England...that gets boring pretty fast.

jenny
07-07-06, 05:12 PM
yes every second year, meaning the that NSW never get two home games :) More for us queenslanders :D

Kallan you stop that at once :mad: We have feelings too :')

BRONCOS FAN
07-07-06, 05:31 PM
Well looks like those Melbourne fans were into it. So thats good to see..

RIP
07-07-06, 06:43 PM
I reckon Yes but not all the time they need to get more footy & vocal in the crowd. The atmostphere was almost dead it was me & my uncle going crazy in our section then a bit in the second half they started to speak by the end they were begining to yell. I love Qrigin but the best bit is the atmostphere by far GO QUEENSLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darren Lockyer
12-07-06, 12:30 PM
yes it will do a lot for the game in Melbourne