PDA

View Full Version : Jason Smith, where will he go?

Cowboys_Rabbit_Fan
02-07-06, 06:17 PM
Hey all.
I was watching the news the other night and there are said to be rumors for the Cowboys to be looking at signing Jason Smith from the Raiders.
I would like to know if anyone has any further information as to whether the Cowboys have made an offer yet or as to whether they are even going to make an offer.
Thanks in advance all.

Super Cronk
02-07-06, 06:20 PM
This from sportal.com.au:

NRL stalwart Jason Smith is struggling in his quest to find a club to play with next season, as he desperately tries to prolong his career by another year.

The 35 year old is hopeful that there is a club out there that will see the value in using his services for at least one season, but the longer the hunt goes on, the less likely he is to have success.

While Smith still has his fingers crossed that he will indeed be given a lifeline, he is aware that there is a good chance that he may be forced into retirement.

"I still feel good?I'd definitely like to go around again next year,'' Smith told the Sunday Telegraph.

"If no deal comes through I guess I've got no choice but to hang up the boots.

"But ideally I'd like to go on, I know within myself I've got a lot to offer.''

Cowboys_Rabbit_Fan
02-07-06, 06:23 PM
Okay, thanks for that. I do hope that the Cowboys will get him as we need an actual five-eighth, and reading Mark Geyer's column in RLW, it basically says he's still in good form, so he will definately have a good option of doing so beside the likes of Thurston.

Teegy
02-07-06, 06:28 PM
i doubt cowboys will want him if brent McConnell shows more of his form. but i think rabbits may make a big play for him

Souths'n'Titans
02-07-06, 10:17 PM
He's too old

Steelers
02-07-06, 10:28 PM
He's too old

If he was 50 and up to First Grade standard I would sign him... it isn't age, it is whether they are up to the standard of First Grade footy and all the hard work that goes with it.

Super Cronk
02-07-06, 10:49 PM
Only thing is tho he reckons he wants to go around for 1 more year. That means the club that signs him will be out of a 5/8 in another years time.....IMO its best to sign someone who you can plan your future around. There may not be another good 5/8 on the market in one years time...Example Travis Burns is off contract and is a great young 5/8 he could give you 3-5 years of good footy, and during the time he is at 5/8 you can scout a young guy to play for your premier league side you can build him up to be the player that your team wants then he will take over when Burns contract is up and wants to head off, thats only if he was to leave tho.

Where as Smith will give you 1 or 2 really good years....then you might miss out on a younger player or miss out on another first grader.

Just Another Member
03-07-06, 08:14 AM
good quick fix option, bad long term.

Steelers
03-07-06, 11:53 AM
SCENARIO: (you gotta love scenarios :laugh:)

Your team for 2007 has many of its stars coming off contract, and many of them are going to leave because of the salary cap. 2007 is your last real shot at a premiership because the next few years will be rebuilding years. You need a 5/8... do you sign Jason Smith and save putting a youngster in for another year because you are going to be rebuilding anyway

:) LOL

Manly Boy
03-07-06, 04:00 PM
I think he could go to the roosters although i dont see why they want such an old player who should retire soon...