PDA

View Full Version : Titans to be partypoopers

DeeGan
02-07-06, 12:16 PM
From the Courier Mail:

Titans to be partypoopers

Paul Malone

June 30, 2006

NSW State of Origin prop Luke Bailey says the Gold Coast Titans can succeed where the Broncos, Manly and Parramatta failed by making the finals in their foundation season because they have not recruited "partygoers".

Bailey, promoted to start for the Blues in next week's deciding Origin match, said he had not expected the Titans to assemble as much depth as they have when he agreed to be one of their first signings last year.

Bailey's St George clubmate Michael Henderson this week became the 16th signing of a Gold Coast club needing as a strong a 25-man roster as possible to make the finals ? something which an all-star Brisbane team was unable to do with a final five in 1988. Manly and Parramatta finished in the last two positions in their first year, 1947.

"They are talking about making the finals in our first couple of years, but there's no reason why it can't happen in the first year," Bailey said.

"I'm just happy they are getting some good signings and with June 30 around the corner I guess there will be a couple more. I'm happy with what they have got. I wasn't expecting to have a topline team as we have got so far.

"They seem a pretty dedicated bunch of players ? they haven't really got any partygoers up there straight away They are family-oriented type of blokes to get the right atmosphere up there and I think that's pretty smart."

Bailey, 26, was enthusiastic about Titans coach John Cartwright's rundown of his plans to recruit and then prepare the team for next year's NRL entry when they met at a recent Dragons-Penrith game

"I like the mixture of the players, all solid players, Anthony Laffranchi, Frank Puletua and Brad Meyers, who will keen to re-introduce himself to the NRL," he said.

"The halves will be good and (Irish winger) Brian Carney has been killing them for Newcastle. Once we get to training in November, we'll be all right."

In the meantime, Bailey believes he can play in another NSW series-winning team and finally seize an NRL premiership with St George Illawarra, who is again favourite after winning six games in a row.

"Last year was a good learning curve because I don't think the younger blokes realised how close the ultimate prize was for them," he said.

"We haven't been playing too great a footy and it's important we start sticking to our game plan and win a few more games better than we have been doing."

Bailey said he felt he has not yet fired in Melbourne conditions and he was determined that NSW matches Queensland for enthusiasm after his return from injury to the NSW side occurred in a 30-6 shellacking for the Blues in Brisbane two weeks ago.

"Personally, I haven't had a great game in Melbourne," he said. "The state of the grass will be interesting with the roof closed."

I am with Bull Bailey here - I am surprised at the quality and depth we are getting in our signings, the recruiting the guys have done has far exceeded the expections I had this time last season. Look at the 17 players currently, we have: 6 former or current Test players and2 players who have represented Country. We are looking at guys like Brett Delaney as well, our future is bright and even more so when looking at kids like Chris Sandow who will be tearing up the NRL in a few seasons.

Melbourne in their first three seasons made the finals - I think we are at least a chance of making the finals in our debut season IF we can remain healthy. There are alot of cynics (funnily enough Bear fans I have come across on three such occasions) who think we are shoe-ins for the wooden spoon, I would love to wager with anyone on this forum that we will not be a wooden spoon team in 2007 ;)

Edited given I am not wanting to group all North Sydney Bears fans, I am talking about a minority in the above post.

Teegy
02-07-06, 12:20 PM
i see alot of good talent theat could make the finals but it will be how they end up coming together and working as a team. finals is a posilibity for any team wether its their 1st of 100th season in the comp.

Darren Lockyer
02-07-06, 02:17 PM
We just need to bond togethor as a team and work really hard in the off season. If the coaching staff does a good job then we are a definate chance

girvie
02-07-06, 09:26 PM
There are alot of cynics (funnily enough Bear fans) who think we are shoe-ins for the wooden spoon, I would love to wager with anyone on this forum that we will not be a wooden spoon team in 2007 ;)
Which Bears fans think that? As if they think that?

DeeGan
02-07-06, 11:00 PM
Which Bears fans think that? As if they think that?

A very general comment made there that does on my part need clarification as I am not grouping all who support the North Sydney Bears.

The Bears fans I speak of are the fans I have encountered on the street (approached when wearing a Titans hat and polo shirt on three such occasions, twice in NSW and once at a Burleigh Bears game) and some of the amusing e-mails I have received from "fans" who for reasons known to them believe abusing me personally in an e-mail explaining why we [the Titans) will fail as a club.

Hope this reply satisfies your curiosity.

Admittedly those three occasions I have experienced were when we as a club sat idle with five signings - opinions may have changed now when looking at the 17 man roster we have currently ;)