PDA

View Full Version : Titans: Simpson in our sights + more on Webster signing

DeeGan
01-07-06, 01:34 PM
From the GC Bulletin:

Webster joins Coast
1Jul06

NEWCASTLE Knights international backrower Steve Simpson has emerged as a Titans target, as the fledgling Gold Coast club's recruitment drive hits top gear.

Hot on the heels of yesterday's signing of robust Melbourne centre Jake Webster the Titans have now set their sights on Simpson.

The Gold Coast is set to make a major play for the 26-year-old, despite Simpson still being tied to the Knights for another year.

Simpson has a trigger clause in his contract that makes him a free agent after next Wednesday night's Origin match in Melbourne.

Titans managing director Michael Searle said his club was certainly interested in Simpson along with a number of other high-profile players now that the June 30 anti-tampering deadline has expired.

"We've expressed interest in Nate Myles (Bulldogs), we are keen to talk to Mark Minichiello (Souths), Brett Delaney (Parramatta) and if Steve Simpson becomes available we are keen to chat," said Searle.

"We are also keen to chat to Travis Burns from Manly, Gavin Cooper from the Cowboys, and a Tweed Heads Seagulls junior Michael Gordon, a centre with Penrith.

"Of course someone like Simpson would be a great buy, but we would be over the moon if we could get one of Simpson, Minichiello or Myles."

With today ending the anti-tampering period, the Titans were off to a great start by already having Webster on their books.

Searle said the Storm 22-year-old had been in their sights for some time.

"We have been monitoring him for a long time," he said.

"We expressed interest to his manager and he was given permission last week to talk.

"He is a key signing, in fact he is possibly our anchor centre.

"We had a tilt at Jamie Lyon (former Parramatta, now English-based centre). We made a decision long ago that we needed a big anchor centre, and that is him (Webster)."

Webster has played six Tests for New Zealand, but was born in Melbourne before growing up and playing rugby league in Brisbane, where he was recruited by the Storm.

His parents still live in Brisbane, around the corner from Titansassistant coach Trevor Gillmeister.

Webster has played 42 first grade matches for the Storm and is a solid defender and great finisher. He has been often compared to Storm cult figure, and former Gold Coast Chargers player Marcus Bai.

On a whistle-stop trip to the Coast yesterday Webster said he was excited about coming north.

"This is a great opportunity and I am very happy to be returning to Queensland," said Webster.

Searle said although the anti-tampering deadline was now over the Titans were in no rush to complete their 25-man squad.

"With Webster aboard we have signed 17, so we will probably get to about 22 and then put the cue in the rack (until later)," he said.

"We are probably looking at five signings in the next two months and then we will round it off."

A possible Titans starting 17 of signed players and potential players would be (NS: not signed yet): 1 Steve Turner; 2 Brian Carney; 3 Jake Webster; 4 Brett Delaney (NS); 5 Matt Peterson; 6 Preston Campbell; 7 Scott Prince; 8 Luke Bailey; 9 Nathan Friend; 10 Mick Henderson; 11 Anthony Laffranchi; 12 Steve Simpson (NS); 13 Luke O'Dwyer. Interchange: 14 Richie Mathers; 15 Michael Hodgson; 16 Brad Meyers; 17 Frank Puletua.

DeeGan
01-07-06, 01:37 PM
Interesting possible line-up from the journalist - I like his side. The fullback and prop to partner Bailey seems to be the two positions at the moment most up in the air. Brett Delaney is my preferred signing at centre and I have everything crossed in the hope we can make a deal there.

Steve Simpson??? I can't see it happening though it would be a major coup if we could sign him and I like the look of Travis Burns who could fill the utility position on the bench and back up Preston Campbell.

The excitement continues to build! :D

Luke
01-07-06, 02:08 PM
I hope Simpson doesnt go to the Titans i want him to re sign with Newcastle.

Supergoose
01-07-06, 02:47 PM
Travis Burns would be exceptional at lock, but I don't reckon he's going anywhere unless there is desire on his behalf to return to Qld. I also reckon Mark Minichiello should be thanking his lucky stars that he is being mentioned in the same breath as Steve Simpson and Nate Myles. Myles would be the best signing of those three IMO.

Gavin Cooper would be an excellent bench utility and I hope the Titans can lure him and it may depend on what the cowboys do with him when he returns from injury if it gets that far.

I'm not that enamoured with Delaney and reckon Josh Graham is better value at this stage with his hard running and big hitting.

The Original Idiot
01-07-06, 02:56 PM
Interesting possible line-up from the journalist - I like his side.
I don't- he has Petersen at 5. Put him at 2 or out of the team, Carney is a hundred times better.

Darren Lockyer
01-07-06, 02:57 PM
I don't think we could get simpson. i HOPE we could get Myles

Darren Lockyer
01-07-06, 03:00 PM
i don't like peterson. Sign Delaney and we could put Josh Graham on the wing with Brian Carney

Steelers
01-07-06, 03:02 PM
I don't- he has Petersen at 5. Put him at 2 or out of the team, Carney is a hundred times better.

Whats the difference between 5 and 2? They are both Wing positions

Supergoose
01-07-06, 03:03 PM
i don't like peterson. Sign Delaney and we could put Josh Graham on the wing with Brian Carney

I'd prefer Gavin Cooper in the centres than Delaney. I may be a bit unfair on Delaney because I haven't seen that much of him but he seems to be a goal kicker first, try scorer second.

DeeGan
01-07-06, 03:45 PM
I missed the Petersen inclusion members - my side would not have Petersen starting either at this point given the calibre of back we have on our roster.

My backline would be; Mathers, Turner, Webster, [signing - Delaney hopefully], Carney, Campbell, Prince (c)

lonegull
02-07-06, 09:21 AM
i cant see simpson leaving the knights so hopefully we will get myles or minichello, delaney is the lynch pin we have got to get him all guns blazing

novacastrian_panther
02-07-06, 09:39 AM
I could see Myles and Minichello wearing Titans jerseys next year.