PDA

View Full Version : Titans sign Webster

Super Cronk
30-06-06, 12:01 PM
leagueunlimited

Melbourne centre Jake Webster has signed a three-year deal with new NRL club the Gold Coast Titans. The New Zealand international becomes the 17th player to join the Titans and the third Storm player behind hooker Nathan Friend and fullback Steve Turner.

Webster, 22, rejected an offer from Cronulla to head to south-east Queensland where his family is based.

Teegy
30-06-06, 12:03 PM
interesting. last night he said their was alot still to work out and that he was only coming to the coast today to have a look around. he must have loved it. good signing

Super Cronk
30-06-06, 12:04 PM
I think it was a done deal last week. He only went to the coast to announce the signing IMO.

Teegy
30-06-06, 12:06 PM
from the titans homepage

Melbourne Storm Centre Jake Webster has become the Gold Coast Titans 17th signing agreeing to a 3 year deal with the fledgling club.

The Melbourne born Webster?s move to Queensland was a deciding factor in his decision. Webster began his rugby league career as an 8 year old playing for Valleys in Brisbane.

Webster said, ?This is a great opportunity for me to return to Queensland to be closer to my family in Brisbane. To play in a start up club is a once in a lifetime opportunity that I am really looking forward to. It will be sad to leave the Storm at the end of the year but I am equally excited about what 2007 will bring. I am also looking forward to making a name for myself as centre and I believe I can achieve that with the Titans. ?

With Josh Graham the only other earmarked centre, the signing of Webster is significant for the club moving forward.

Head Coach John Cartwright said, ?Jake?s one of our most important signings to date, he?s 22 years old and if he was NSW or QLD (He?s a New Zealand International ruling him out of State of Origin contention) he?d be playing origin as well. We are looking at him at centre, it?s a position that we need to have strength in and he?s currently the best on the market in that position.?

It?s his form that has impressed coach Cartwright. Named the Storm?s 2005 most improved player, Webster is one of the form centres of the NRL this season.

Cartwright said, ?They tend to fly under the radar down in Melbourne because they don?t get as much coverage in the print media but I watch him week in and week out and whether he?s playing centre or wing, he?s exceptional. Jake is a 22 year old current international and that?s a major signing for us.?

Titans Managing Director Michael Searle expressed his gratitude to the Melbourne Storm in allowing Jake to negotiate with the Titans ahead of the June 30 Anti Tampering deadline.

Gold Coast Titans signings to date:
Forwards: Michael Henderson (Dragons) Michael Hodgson (Raiders) Frank Puletua (Panthers) Luke Bailey (Dragons) Anthony Laffranchi (Tigers) Luke Swain (Panthers) Brad Meyers (Bradford) Nathan Friend (Storm) Luke O?Dwyer (Eels)

Backs: Jake Webster (Melbourne Storm), Steve Turner (Storm) Preston Campbell (Panthers) Brian Carney (Newcastle) Matt Petersen (Eels) Scott Prince (Tigers) Richie Mathers (Rhinos) Josh Graham (Western Force)

DIEHARD
30-06-06, 12:16 PM
The Melbourne born Webster?s move to Queensland was a deciding factor in his decision. Webster began his rugby league career as an 8 year old playing for Valleys in Brisbane

We are gonna get a Valleys Diehards junior!! Woohoo! My new favourite Titans player!

Shame the Storm lost their only Victorian born player, but he went to a very good home!

Titanium_BD1103
30-06-06, 12:28 PM
Agreed there DIEHARD... a very good home indeed... :D :D

YAY for the Titans getting Webster, it is a fantastic signing and I look forward to seeing him give this team some true spark and momentum, as he is a player who is always looking for the ball, always ready to try something to spark the rest of the team and is a great asset.

To get Turner and Webster is a top effort, and for that I say WELL DONE GC... :D :D

Darren Lockyer
30-06-06, 12:29 PM
yyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
go the titans. The team is really starting to shape up

mb63
30-06-06, 12:53 PM
No surprise,as I mentioned on another thread when I spoke to him last night the only club he mentioned to me was the Titans.

patskE
30-06-06, 01:03 PM
bout time lol
good signing

lonegull
30-06-06, 01:33 PM
big part of the puzzle falls into place

Teegy
30-06-06, 01:40 PM
teams really starting to take shape now.

1) Mathers
2) Turner
3) Insert centre here
4) Webster
5) Carney
6) Campbell
7) Prince
8) Bailey
9) Friend
10) Henderson
11) Laffranchi
12) Myers
13) O'Dwyer

14) Graham
15) Hodgson
16) Puletua
17) Swain

Dakink
30-06-06, 01:50 PM
GEez the backline is looking powerful...

[BroncosGirl]
30-06-06, 01:55 PM
That is one good looking team.

Webster is a great signing, hes one of my fave storm players, so now he can be one of my fave titans players! :D

Super Cronk
30-06-06, 02:05 PM
teams really starting to take shape now.

1) Mathers
2) Turner
3) Insert centre here
4) Webster
5) Carney
6) Campbell
7) Prince
8) Bailey
9) Friend
10) Henderson
11) Laffranchi
12) Myers
13) O'Dwyer

14) Graham
15) Hodgson
16) Puletua
17) Swain

Turner will be fullback i believe.

Teegy
30-06-06, 02:08 PM
Turner will be fullback i believe.
proberly i was just doing a quick team. that seemed the logical choice at the moment as turner has been playing wing over the past few years

Titanium_BD1103
30-06-06, 02:09 PM
I think there is now a full squad of 17... well actually there is... now to see who else the GC can get to compliment or strengthen it... ;)

Here are the 17 as I think they will play in 2007.... from the signings, to certainly change with the addtional signings.

1. Turner
2. Petersen
3. Webster
4. Mathers
5. Carney
6. Campbell
7. Prince
8. Bailey
9. Friend
10. Henderson
11. Myers
12. LaFranchi
13. O' Dwyer

14. Swain
15. Puletua
16. Graham
17. Hodgson

Super Cronk
30-06-06, 02:21 PM
proberly i was just doing a quick team. that seemed the logical choice at the moment as turner has been playing wing over the past few years

Fair enough. Its just that Turner said the only reason he is moving to the Titans is to get the fullback spot.

Helen
30-06-06, 02:48 PM
:win: I am so :laugh: with this signing I may just have a :beer: to celebrate.

Helen

Kingytek
30-06-06, 02:54 PM
1. Steve Turner
2. Josh Graham
3. Jake Webster
4. Richie Mathers
5. Brian Carney
6. Preston Campbell
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Nathan Friend
10. Brad Meyers
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Nate Myles (Unsigned)
13. Luke Swain

14. Luke O'Dwyer
15. Michael Hodgson
16. Frank Puletua
17. Michael Henderson

Souths'n'Titans
30-06-06, 03:31 PM
Good team except the backrow isn't very strong and the depth isnt really great, but well done cartwright

Kingytek
30-06-06, 03:45 PM
Good team except the backrow isn't very strong and the depth isnt really great, but well done cartwright
Laffranci and Myles?
Your kidding me right?

TitanBronco
30-06-06, 04:07 PM
I'm so happy!

Souths'n'Titans
30-06-06, 04:24 PM
Myles hasn't signed yet so dont get too excited

Teegy
30-06-06, 04:32 PM
yer myles is a long shot now with. id say myles would now be worth to much money now

Titanium_BD1103
30-06-06, 04:37 PM
I thought that too Teegy... and then that thought was further compounded when I looked at the newspaper and the proposed figures for players...

Jake Webster- $230,000
Nate Myles- $250,000

If the GC has Webster, then it will be near on impossible, especially as that price is sure to rise with 8 clubs after him, for the Titans to get Myles, unless Nate is offered around $50,000 less by all clubs.

DeeGan
30-06-06, 05:09 PM
Let's just clear one thing up - Steve Turner is not guruanteed the number one jersey for the Gold Coast Titans. I will expand on more after I interview Michael who will shed some more light there. Richie Mathers is an international calibre fullback who has tasted alot of success in the fullback position with Leeds Rhinos, both will be going hell for leather in the pre-season for what is deemed their preferred position. The loser of that batter will play elsewhere in the backline most likely.

The signing of Jake Webster is one I have simply being waiting for to be announced. It was commonly known that Turner and Webster would be on their way to the Titans.

Jake Webster is another Test footballer on the books, our side is looking very impressive and if we can keep our top 20 healthy, we are going to give ourselves a good shot at making the finals in our debut season Melbourne most recently did in 98 when they made their debut.

Webster is developing in to a fine centre and will only get better, I believe we are best served in having Webster inside Turner with Mathers at fullback though that is another argument.

Super Cronk
30-06-06, 05:13 PM
Let's just clear one thing up - Steve Turner is not guruanteed the number one jersey for the Gold Coast Titans. I will expand on more after I interview Michael who will shed some more light there. Richie Mathers is an international calibre fullback who has tasted alot of success in the fullback position with Leeds Rhinos, both will be going hell for leather in the pre-season for what is deemed their preferred position. The loser of that batter will play elsewhere in the backline most likely.

The signing of Jake Webster is one I have simply being waiting for to be announced. It was commonly known that Turner and Webster would be on their way to the Titans.

Jake Webster is another Test footballer on the books, our side is looking very impressive and if we can keep our top 20 healthy, we are going to give ourselves a good shot at making the finals in our debut season Melbourne most recently did in 98 when they made their debut.

Webster is developing in to a fine centre and will only get better, I believe we are best served in having Webster inside Turner with Mathers at fullback though that is another argument.

Well if thats the case then Turner has made a big mistake. He has said in many articles since his signing that he went to the Titans because he wasnt getting a regular fullback spot at the storm....saying he much prefers fullback over anything. Ild assume he would be pretty let down if he didnt get the fullback spot and wouldnt be a happy camper.

Unless turner was lying...and the reason he left wsnt because of the fullback issue.

Teegy
30-06-06, 05:15 PM
Well if thats the case then Turner has made a big mistake. He has said in many articles since his signing that he went to the Titans because he wasnt getting a regular fullback spot at the storm....saying he much prefers fullback over anything. Ild assume he would be pretty let down if he didnt get the fullback spot and wouldnt be a happy camper.

Unless turner was lying...and the reason he left wsnt because of the fullback issue.
we as the chance to become the fullback at the titans SC. at strom he has both inglis and slater to get past. he has a better chance but as deegs said it isnt a givin. peterson signed thinking he would have a 1st grade wing spot but thats looking unlikly now to.

DeeGan
30-06-06, 05:16 PM

All I will say mate is we can read too much in to an article and the quotes of players joining a new club. I think Turner will get every opportunity to make the jersey his own, though the Titans would not sign a fullback the calibre of Richie Mathers with out the intention of playing him there. It makes no sense.

Both players will compete for the job, the injury Mathers definately gives Turner the inside running heading into the pre-season. Again, we will learn more after I interview Michael and bring up this very topic.

Super Cronk
30-06-06, 05:19 PM
All I will say mate is we can read too much in to an article and the quotes of players joining a new club. I think Turner will get every opportunity to make the jersey his own, though the Titans would not sign a fullback the calibre of Richie Mathers with out the intention of playing him there. It makes no sense.

Both players will compete for the job, the injury Mathers definately gives Turner the inside running heading into the pre-season. Again, we will learn more after I interview Michael and bring up this very topic.

I look forward to hearing what he has to say about the subject.

Brettymac
30-06-06, 06:00 PM
At the very least we all know that competition is healthy in any team environment. Should push both lads to really give it everything. Im sure both would be under no misconception that the better man will win the day. Nothings a given in any team, ask a Michael Monaghan or Brett Finch where they'd prefer to play.

Fampa
30-06-06, 07:01 PM
We love you 'cause you're a Victorian... :(

Anyways, how many international players does that make now? And what will be the Titan's policy on releasing players for international matches? The 'test' match earlier in the week was a farce because the NRL competition does not support international footy. Will the Titans?