PDA

View Full Version : Qld wants Inglis update for Origin III

Teegy
21-06-06, 05:36 PM
SMH

Queensland State of Origin selectors will request a detailed medical update on dynamic Storm teenager Greg Inglis before settling on their 17-man squad for the Melbourne series decider. The Maroons are desperate for the 19 year-old, who scored two tries in his Origin debut, to be available, especially after losing second game rookie fullback Karmichael Hunt (broken foot) and centre Steve Bell (fractured cheekbone).

Inglis was ruled out of Origin II with stress fractures in his back.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy has already written off Inglis' Origin comeback saying it would be "two or three weeks" before he's back training.

But Queensland selectors will get their doctor, Roy Saunders, to contact the Storm's medical staff for a full update on the chances of Inglis playing in 14 days time.

The Queensland Rugby League clashed with the Storm before the second game after naming Inglis in it's 17-man squad and ruling him out a few hours later.

Melbourne refused to allow Inglis to travel to Brisbane to be assessed.

Queensland chairman of selectors Des Morris was non committal whether Inglis would be named on Monday to keep the door open in case his back injury improved dramatically.

"He's not playing this weekend which makes it tough," said Morris.

"We'll have our medical people check it all out with Melbourne's medical people closer to the weekend.

"We don't want to go getting everyone's hopes up too soon.

"Once we pick the side, and he's not in it, he's missed the boat.

"Obviously he is a rare talent and I suppose you make exceptions but if he's not picked..."

"They're probably not too worried about Queensland which is why we'll check everything out."

With injury concerns over the fitness of Cowboys fullback Matt Bowen, Penrith's Rhys Wesser is the man widely tipped to replace Hunt.

But Morris said Canberra's Clinton Schifcofske - the target of a Super 14 offer from the Queensland Reds - was not out of the picture and could play fullback or wing.

There were widespread calls earlier this year for St George Illawarra centre Mark Gasnier to be overlooked for Origin after he was linked with a massive offer from the Australian Rugby Union.

Even if Schifcofske switched codes this week, Morris said it would not prevent Queensland picking him for Origin.

"We're selectors, we're not into the politics," said Morris.

"If it was announced (he was switching) before we picked the squad, it wouldn't make any difference."

Game-shy Storm fullback Billy Slater is the wild card in the Queensland selector's pack.

Morris said either he or co-selector Gene Miles would travel to Brookvale Oval at the weekend to watch Slater play for North Sydney against Manly in the Premier League curtain raiser to the Brisbane-Manly NRL game.

"Nobody is out of the picture," said Morris.

With Bell and Willie Tonga (hamstring) both unlikely to be available, Brisbane utility Shaun Berrigan could find himself back in the centres for the Melbourne decider with Broncos teammate Justin Hodges.

Super Cronk
21-06-06, 05:48 PM
Im sorry but QLD can get stuffed. Storm have said how long he is out for....QLd only want whats good for them...but Inglis plays for the storm if he gets further injury QLD move on but storm can lose him for a long time.

Titanium_BD1103
21-06-06, 07:02 PM
QLD seem a bit desparate IMO.. and that is not a barb at QLD because I am a New South Welshman... that is a serious comment.

I say this because they are saying that they are willing to still pick Slater even though he is playing in PL for North Sydney this weekend, and now they want Inglis to play.

Cmon they have Schifcofske, Mogg and I am sure there are others who can fill up gap... QLD should be proud of all the options in the backline they have, and stop worrying and trying to speed up the plans of these Storm Players, as it could affect their careers long term both on an NRL and SOO level.

qld power
21-06-06, 07:15 PM
i would have inglis there for sure for the sack of qld since no hunt and slater to cover wing

qld power
21-06-06, 07:16 PM
i would have inglis there for sure since no hunt and slater to cover wing

Kallan
21-06-06, 07:58 PM
i would have inglis there for sure since no hunt and slater to cover wing
I wouldn't want him there if he isn't ready, which he is said not to be, i don't want him to risk making the injury worse by playing even though it is a loss :(

Steelers
21-06-06, 08:14 PM
Leave him out... we have plenty of players there that are at 100% fitness and deserve the shot... Mogg, Shif, even Wesser

Flanker/5-8
21-06-06, 08:28 PM
Question: How do Queensland selectors get one of the best fullbacks in the league without acting like losers?

Answer: Clinton Schifcofske.

Social Loafer
21-06-06, 11:34 PM
You got one of the best, most experienced fulbacks in the league, who has a great defensive game as well as being a superb leader waiting for a call up, yet slectors want to rush back an injured teenager..

Super Cronk
22-06-06, 12:09 AM
You got one of the best, most experienced fulbacks in the league, who has a great defensive game as well as being a superb leader waiting for a call up, yet slectors want to rush back an injured teenager..

Exactly. He must have ran over one of the selectors pets.

..::Coops::..
22-06-06, 12:54 PM
i'd pick schif at fullback.

even if inglis fit, i would keep schif, and put inglis in the centre/wing.

..::Coops::..
22-06-06, 12:57 PM
Exactly. He must have ran over one of the selectors pets.

lol..off topic, but that reminds me of simpsons quote.
Linol Hutz "that judge dosen't like me even since i hit his dog. replacing dog with son, and hit with ran over repeatedly"

anywayz, i agree..you NEVER hear schif mentioned. i think he playing WAY better than wesser at moment, and would be really disappointed if wesser got in ahead of him.

Super Cronk
22-06-06, 12:59 PM
Clinton defence alone should get him selected....awesome defender.

Teegy
22-06-06, 01:00 PM
worse thing for shif is hes playing at the wrong time in the wrong place. for years in his younger years he had locky and robbie o in front of him and once they moved or retired he gets the new breed of young superstars that are in the spotlight. i really feel for shif. he is one of the best all round fullbacks in the game

Manly Boy
03-07-06, 03:19 PM
I would play inglis for qld...

Super Cronk
03-07-06, 06:48 PM
I would play inglis for qld...

He is injured...he would do no good at all.

BRONCOS FAN
05-07-06, 04:06 PM
Yeah its sad that hes not plaing. But thats life..