PDA

View Full Version : Titans: New club 'recruiting' well

Queenslander
20-06-06, 03:30 PM
New NRL club Titans 'recruiting' well
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:49 PM

With just 10 days before rugby league's silly season begins, Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle jokes that AFL star Jason Akermanis is the only off-contract player who hasn't been linked with the Titans.

It seems that everyone is clambering to get on board the Titans Express when it pulls into the station at Carrara in 2007.

Nate Myles, Craig Fitzgibbon, Michael Henderson, Josh Hannay and Jake Webster are just some of the off-contract players who have been linked to the fledgling NRL club.

"The only one who hasn't been linked is (Brisbane Lions star) Jason Akermanis," Searle remarked. "It's almost a joke."

In the case of Henderson however, the rumours appear true with strong mail emerging the St George Illawarra prop has stitched up a deal with the Titans after the Dragons gave him permission to negotiate before June 30.

"I can't confirm or deny that," said player agent Daryl Mather - manager-speak meaning the deal is all but done.

Henderson would join Dragons teammate Luke Bailey at the Titans, who boast a forward pack also featuring Frank Puletua, Anthony Laffranchi and Brad Meyers.

"We've had preliminary discussions with his manager over the past 48 hours," said Searle about Henderson, who turns 22 next month.

"We've only got until June 30 as the window of opportunity that the Dragons have given us (to negotiate). Hopefully we can do something before then.

"He's a good young front-rower who could be tutored by Bull (Bailey) and that's the way we see it.

"We're in the market for a young, emerging front-rower. That makes our succession plans really strong.

"He comes off the bench really effectively for the Dragons."

Searle said Titans coach John Cartwright was monitoring the progress of North Queensland centre Hannay, who's played just five games for the Cowboys this year after being relegated to the Queensland Cup for most of the season.

Hannay's future could be determined by whether the Cowboys recruit fellow former Queensland Origin centre Willie Tonga, who is almost certain to leave the Bulldogs.

Melbourne's New Zealand international winger Webster is another player the Titans have expressed interest in.

"His parents live in Brisbane so one would expect that if he had a chance to come home it would be great but if he goes to the market he'll be heavily sought after," Searle pointed out.

"He's definitely on the radar."

Searle said at this stage he was delighted with Gold Coast's roster spearheaded by Bailey, Penrith livewire Preston Campbell and internationals Scott Prince and Brian Carney.

Melbourne fullback Steve Turner is the latest recruit after his path to playing first grade in his preferred position was blocked by Billy Slater and Greg Inglis.

"We're ahead of where we thought we'd be and that's come about because the clubs are more willing to allow players to negotiate before June 30," Searle said.

"We're still short in the centres, as are all clubs, and two back-rowers and a front-rower short but having said that we're really happy with where we're at."

Source: AAP

DIEHARD
20-06-06, 03:41 PM
Great article. Reading things from another prospective makes me realise how well set we are currently.

"The only one who hasn't been linked is (Brisbane Lions star) Jason Akermanis," Searle remarked. "It's almost a joke."

Thank god it's a joke. haha

Titanium_BD1103
20-06-06, 04:00 PM
Yep imagine Aka at the Titans... :spit: :spit:

Great to see everyone is so happy, and they should be, the club has done a tremendous job over the past month to really consolidate and create what should be a very very good side... :)

I'm surprised Michael Searle is saying that the GC is 2 backrowers short, I thought with Swain, Puletua, Hodgson and Myers... we are only 1 backrower short in terms of making the 17... and they are versatile too...but hey Michael knows best... :)

BSHSbiatch
20-06-06, 06:41 PM
**** yea Titanz, rep that ****

lonegull
21-06-06, 07:49 AM
good to see great read, need some centres though

The Original Idiot
21-06-06, 03:11 PM
I'm surprised Michael Searle is saying that the GC is 2 backrowers short, I thought with Swain, Puletua, Hodgson and Myers... we are only 1 backrower short in terms of making the 17... and they are versatile too...but hey Michael knows best... :)
Isn't Hodgson a front rower? I also feel a couple more forwards are needed.

New NRL club Titans 'recruiting' well
Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 3:49 PM
Someone's up early.

Steve Dangerous
24-06-06, 03:41 PM
it's great to see how much pulling power we have.

i just wonder how we're going with the salary cap. i'm sure the head honchos have it all calculated out, though.

BRONCOS FAN
25-06-06, 01:30 PM
Yeah a fair few players are going to that team. I would if i did'nt like my club. Because its a heaos nice area at the cold coast. And training their would be awesome..

Steve Dangerous
25-06-06, 02:32 PM
good thing we don't have a souths-dilemma :satan: money to spend, but no pulling power.

bless the gold coast!