Queenslander
20-06-06, 04:28 PM
Manly Sea Eagles vs Brisbane Broncos
Sunday June 25, Brookvale Oval
Kick-off: 3pm

Referee: Shayne Hayne

Team Notes:

Sea Eagles:

The Sea Eagles will go into this weekends match against the Broncos without Stephen Bell and Luke Williamson. Williamson is still recovering from a bad knock he received in last weeks loss to the Sharks and Bell is still out due to the facial fracture he received in State Of Origin 2. Bell had 3 plates and 17 screws inserted to repair the fracture but is recovering well and may be back earlier than the original 6 week estimation.
Broncos:
Hard-hitting lock Tonie Carroll makes a shock return from knee surgery, with fellow representative stars Justin Hodges, Tame Tupou (knee) and Corey Parker (back) also returning from injury.

This means Shaun Berrigan shifts from centre back to hooker to replace new benchman Casey McGuire who becomes back-up dummy-half.

David Stagg moves from lock to join Parker in the second row, forcing Dane Carlaw and Brad Thorn back to the bench.

Origin utility forward Sam Thaiday is the last of the four man interchange with young playmakers Ian Lacey and Brett Seymour 18th and 19th men.

Interesting Facts:

When the Broncos last beat Manly at Brookvale Oval; Round 5, April 19 1992. Broncos 28 d Manly 12;

Paul Keating was still prime minister;

Unforgiven, starring Clint Eastwood won the Oscar for best picture;

Kerry Packer ordered "Australia's Naughtiest Home Videos" be taken off the air during an ad break;

Peter Sterling retired;

Wally Lewis was captain-coach of the Gold Coast Seagulls;

The Broncos won their first premership.

Sea Eagles:

Brett Stewart
Michael Robertson
Chris Hicks
Steve Matai
Paul Stephenson
Travis Burns
Matt Orford
Jason King
Michael Monaghan
Brent Kite
Steve Menzies
Anthony Watmough
Ben Kennedy (c)

Interchange:

Shayne Dunley
Kylie Leuluai
Mark Bryant
George Rose

Broncos:

1. Darius Boyd
2. Tame Tupou
3. Justin Hodges
4. Brent Tate
5. Fraser Anderson
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Shane Perry
8. Shane Webcke
9. Shaun Berrigan
10. Petero Civoniceva
11. David Stagg
12. Corey Parker
13. Tonie Carroll

Interchange:

14. Brad Thorn
15. Dane Carlaw
16. Sam Thaiday
17. Casey McGuire
18. Ian Lacey
19. Brett Seymour (two to be omitted)

Note: Broncos are in blue due to the obvious colour clash, and the fact that the Broncos will be wearing their white and blue away strips for this game ;)

***Please use this thread for game day spoilers***

[BroncosGirl]
20-06-06, 05:50 PM
It'll be good to see how Darius handles FB week inweek out, hope he steps up! And also good to see Anderson get a few runs too!

I reckon Broncos have this one covered ;)!

Kallan
20-06-06, 07:10 PM
Broncos can win this one, I will be tipping them, Nice to see Hodges is back in the team.

Souths'n'Titans
20-06-06, 07:18 PM
Ian Lacey is always in the 18 jumper and ends up playing, just put him in 14-17

Kallan
20-06-06, 07:20 PM
Ian Lacey is always in the 18 jumper and ends up playing, just put him in 14-17

Maybe he just likes to wear the number 18 jersey.... :laugh:

Souths'n'Titans
20-06-06, 07:25 PM
Maybe he just likes to wear the number 18 jersey.... :laugh:
He should wear 21

BRONCOS FAN
20-06-06, 07:27 PM
Yeah it should be a good game. And yeah it is good to see hodges back. Broncos beat them the first time so maybe they will do it again. But the broncs have been a bit weak after origin two so it will be interesting..

Hoppy2007Dragons
20-06-06, 07:49 PM
Eagles at Home, i'm tipping them to be too strong for the ravaged broncos, Manly by 8.

SuperCliffy#01
21-06-06, 12:42 PM
Me i don't care by how much Manly to win.cya. :box:

Super Cronk
21-06-06, 12:48 PM
Tought game to pick but i think Manly will win. Their halves are starting to play some good footy and their pack is very strong.

Queenslander
22-06-06, 09:45 AM
Some interesting facts about this game from The Courier Mail:

When the Broncos last beat Manly at Brookvale Oval; Round 5, April 19 1992. Broncos 28 d Manly 12;

Paul Keating was still prime minister;

Unforgiven, starring Clint Eastwood won the Oscar for best picture;

Kerry Packer ordered "Australia's Naughtiest Home Videos" be taken off the air during an ad break;

Peter Sterling retired;

Wally Lewis was captain-coach of the Gold Coast Seagulls;

The Broncos won their first premership.
************************************************** *********************************

Brooky victory to ease pain
Steve Ricketts
June 22, 2006

BRONCOS chief executive Bruno Cullen says it is important rather than vital that Brisbane breaks a 14-year drought by beating Manly at Brookvale Oval on Sunday.

Still reeling from last Friday night's last-minute 18-16 loss to St George Illawarra at Suncorp Stadium, the Broncos are desperate to pick up two more NRL premiership points before the loss of up to eight players to Queensland State of Origin commitments next week.

It wasn't just the nature of the loss to the Dragons which hurt the Broncos. It was the realisation they had two points in their grasp which could have acted as a cushion for the tough road ahead.

They play Cronulla at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday week when Origin players will be away and then on Friday night, July 7, two days after Origin III, Brisbane must play competition leaders Melbourne in Melbourne before enjoying a bye.

But first there is the little matter of Manly at Brookvale where the Broncos last won in 1992 when coach Des Hasler was then lock for the Sea Eagles; Graham Lowe was coach and Michael O'Connor captain.

Wayne Bennett was then in his fifth year as Brisbane coach as Allan Langer led the side to a convincing 28-12 win.

"It's been a long time between drinks, although I don't think our record at the ground presents any hurdles for the players," Cullen said. "This is a big game, there's no doubt about that. But I would say the two premiership points are very important rather than vital."

Melbourne (24) heads the NRL table followed by Brisbane, Cronulla, the Bulldogs and Dragons all on 20, with Newcastle and Manly on 18.

If Brisbane loses on Sunday it could drop out of the top four and losses to Cronulla and Melbourne could put the side back on the fringe of the top eight.

Last year Brisbane led the premiership for 16 weeks and at one stage held a six-point lead at the top of the ladder before losing its last seven games, including two finals.

After consecutive losses to South Sydney and St George Illawarra the alarm bells are not yet sounding at the Broncos, but they will be if the club fails to get at least one win in the next three matches because the run home after the post-Origin bye is formidable with matches against the Cowboys (away), Tigers (h), Raiders (a), Storm (h), Bulldogs (a), Eels (a) and Warriors (h).

Manly has its own problems after last Saturday's 15-12 loss to Cronulla with halfback Matt Orford in doubt with an ankle injury. The Sea Eagles have several options including the switch of Michael Monaghan from hooker to halfback or the promotion of Michael Witt.

Cullen has stepped up contract talks with a number of players including David Stagg, Tame Tupou, Darius Boyd and Ian Lacey.

Redcliffe centre Nick Emmett will attempt to have a tripping charge downgraded at the QRL judiciary today and if successful will be available for the Broncos-Cronulla match under a dual registration arrangement between the clubs.

The former Parramatta lower grader, who trained with the Broncos this week, was selected in the City team to play Country at Cloncurry on Saturday but will miss the match because of the tripping charge.

Redcliffe prop Pat Gardner comes into the squad with Jackson Nicolau (Norths) switching from the bench to centre.

The Courier Mail

Supergoose
22-06-06, 12:45 PM
Broncos were unlucky last week but were shocking the week before. Manly have been playing with plenty of heart but playing ordinary for a couple of weeks. If both teams show up to play then it will be a tight contest. Hunt missing from the Broncos could be a massive blow for them as he provides a lot of the talk from the back. Manly to win.... just. (I will still pick the Broncos out of loyalty though)

Coaster
22-06-06, 06:25 PM
Broncos will lose this one.

They dont have a combination to score tries without the "special lockyer/hunt move"

Losing Hunt will hurt the Broncos no end.

Players will be saving themselves for melbourne SOO, and Manly at Brooky are never easy.

Manly 28-10
MoM Menzies

Teegy
22-06-06, 06:29 PM
Broncos will lose this one.

They dont have a combination to score tries without the "special lockyer/hunt move"

Losing Hunt will hurt the Broncos no end.

Players will be saving themselves for melbourne SOO, and Manly at Brooky are never easy.

Manly 28-10
MoM Menzies
i was going to back manly but last time you said your team would lose was origin and we all know what happened their

Broncs by 12+

Teegy
22-06-06, 06:31 PM
SMH

Manly's inability to break a 20-year losing streak at Toyota Park against the Sharks last weekend will help steel the Sea Eagles for Sunday's NRL showdown with Brisbane.

Ground hoodoos often prove difficult hurdles in NRL games as the Sea Eagles again discovered in their narrow 15-12 loss to the Sharks.

This weekend it's Brisbane's turn to snap a ground hoodoo that has seen them go winless at Brookvale Oval since 1992.

Since they entered the premiership in 1988 with a 44-10 win over Manly at Lang Park, they've won just three of their 12 games at Brookvale Oval.

Coaches play down such statistics.

But they are a fact of life and can often get into players' heads.

Brisbane have some injury problems with centre Justin Hodges unable to train because of the 'flu along with Casey McGuire (hip).

Back-up hooker Ian Lacey trained despite a corked buttock as did winger Tame Tupou (knee).

The good news was that Tonie Carroll continued to train well following knee surgery and should be cleared for an early return against Manly.

Origin forward Sam Thaiday caught the eye more than usual at training with some of his long dreadlocks dyed pink.

"I'm a bit of character and I like to be different," said the recently turned 21-year-old with the gollywog hairdo.

"My mum hates pink and if she sees me with pink hair she'll probably kill me.

"I'm just rebelling against my mum."

Coach Wayne Bennett wants Thaiday to rebel against Manly's pack with the same aggression he displayed for Queensland last week.

"He (Bennett) wants me to play the way I played for Queensland with a bit of aggression and bring a lot more enthusiasm onto the field for the Broncs," said Thaiday.

"Hopefully I can do that for him.

"He just wants that consistency week in, week out, not having a couple of good games and then throwing in a low game."

Thaiday, who's made a rapid transition from a raw young forward to representative football believes his two Origin games for Queensland have helped him considerably.

"I think I've matured as a player. It's made me a bit tougher and I know what that next level's like now."

Thaiday however doesn't know what Brookvale Oval is like having never played at the Sydney ground.

"I haven't played there yet so it will be a good experience," he said.

"We really haven't talked much about our record there."

Manly's pack, which includes Ben Kennedy and Anthony Watmough, will be a handful for the likes of Shane Webcke, Petero Civoniceva, Brad Thorn and Thaiday.

"They've got a good strong pack that plays well week in and week out which we have to deal with," said Thaiday.

Coaster
22-06-06, 06:39 PM
i was going to back manly but last time you said your team would lose was origin and we all know what happened

When did i say Qld would lose?
I won alot of money on that game, just ask Chaos :lol!:

Teegy
22-06-06, 06:42 PM
When did i say Qld would lose?
I won alot of money on that game, just ask Chaos :lol!:
sorry mate. di chaos back against QLD. i sometime get the 2 of you confused.:roll: the names seem to mix me up:?)

Coaster
22-06-06, 07:52 PM
i sometime get the 2 of you confused.:roll:

Just for the record,

Coaster :
Good looking strong queenslander, born and bred on the Gold Coast, have been around the world about 5 times but still calls Gold Coast Queensland Home.

Chaos:
Ugly weak Coackroach, born and bred on the gold coast, went to Sydney once, sold his soul, sold out his friends, and in another couple of months, will have his first born in NSW.

Super Cronk
22-06-06, 10:40 PM
ABC.net.au

Two key Brisbane Broncos players are struggling with the flu ahead of Sunday's round 16 NRL clash with Manly at Brookvale Oval.

Centre Justin Hodges missed training today while prop Sam Thaiday is also suffering from the illness, however both players are expected to face the Sea Eagles.

The Broncos have lost their past two matches, having had several players unavailable due to State of Origin duty and injury.

Thaiday said although he was feeling the effects of illness as well the physical demands of playing State of Origin, he was confident he and his team-mates would soon return to their winning ways.

"It's that middle part of the year that the Broncs always struggle with and that's something we'll have too get over," he said.

"But I'm feeling well enough and good enough to get over all that stuff and play well for the Broncos and finish the season off strong."

Brisbane head into Sunday's match in second place on the NRL ladder while Manly are placed seventh.

Dakink
23-06-06, 08:49 AM
Just for the record,

Coaster :
Good looking strong queenslander, born and bred on the Gold Coast, have been around the world about 5 times but still calls Gold Coast Queensland Home.

Chaos:
Ugly weak Coackroach, born and bred on the gold coast, went to Sydney once, sold his soul, sold out his friends, and in another couple of months, will have his first born in NSW.

LOL nice one - now all we need to do is fidure a way to get that head of yours out the doorway!

Super Cronk
23-06-06, 11:44 AM
Orford is rated a "50/50" chance of playing . Kylie Leuluai is also in doubt for the clash vs the Broncos.

For the Broncos Tonie Carroll, Justin Hodges and Tame Tupou have been cleared to play altho the Broncos Casey McGuire and Ian Lacey are in doubt.

According to the SMH.

[BroncosGirl]
23-06-06, 11:57 AM
Phew good news on TUpou, Hodges and Carroll!!! But 2 hookers out :( Eh, Im sure Berro can cover it.

I had the weirdest dream, last minute, they miraculously named Hunt, and he had this speical brace thing on his foot lol ...

SuperCliffy#01
23-06-06, 12:37 PM
']Phew good news on TUpou, Hodges and Carroll!!! But 2 hookers out :( Eh, Im sure Berro can cover it.

I had the weirdest dream, last minute, they miraculously named Hunt, and he had this speical brace thing on his foot lol ...

I had the same dream but the broncos all got crook and got bashed up by the mighty Sea Eagles.cya. :cop:

[BroncosGirl]
23-06-06, 12:43 PM
I had the same dream but the broncos all got crook and got bashed up by the mighty Sea Eagles.cya. :cop:

Well our dreams have one thing in common, both are very ridiculous and would never happen ;):p

HodgoBerro
23-06-06, 03:00 PM
blame me for hodgos flu - i had it all last week and decided on tuesday to go and watch them train...

Chaos
25-06-06, 01:31 PM
Just for the record,

Coaster :

Chaos:

Teegy,

Dakink obviously knows Coaster's character
This is the real difference between the two

Coaster
Has a split personallity...sometimes a Bronco, sometimes a Titan
Has a big head after winning a bet with Chaos

Chaos
Underestimated the QLD spirit at Lang Park
Has no boubt he will win his money back

BRONCOS FAN
25-06-06, 02:27 PM
I hope the broncos win this.. They have 3 straight losses because of state of origin. And i just want them to stay in the top 4...

[BroncosGirl]
25-06-06, 06:12 PM
Woot. Knew they could do this. What was with the craziness in the last 20 or so?!! Civos backflip thing? THen ball hitting post, tame leapfrogging, that freaky flick pass by whoever *burns was it?*!

But yer goood game I think, oobviously was a bit scrappy at times, then other times it was fast and good to watch!!

Happy to get that win!

Super Cronk
25-06-06, 06:16 PM
Yet agian awful orford goes missing in a big game.

[BroncosGirl]
25-06-06, 06:18 PM
They said he was carrying a injury or something?
He was, wasnt he, wasn't he going to be ruled out, but was given until last minute?!

qld power
25-06-06, 06:21 PM
wahoooooooooooo finally a win nice avatar broncosgirl is that two women locked in a kiss and its not u is it lol

Super Cronk
25-06-06, 06:23 PM
']They said he was carrying a injury or something?
He was, wasnt he, wasn't he going to be ruled out, but was given until last minute?!

Yeah he apprently wasnt well leading upto the game...but why would you put a player who isnt 100% on to play the Broncos? esp when Monas is there.

There will prolly be a 100 excuses for Orford but fact is in tough games vs good opposition he rarely comes out on top.

[BroncosGirl]
25-06-06, 06:31 PM
wahoooooooooooo finally a win nice avatar broncosgirl is that two women locked in a kiss and its not u is it lol

No, its actually from Dawsons Creek :p

Anyhoo back OT - Its true, ORford faulters (is taht a word) alot, he doesnt stand up when he needs to. I do think he has it in him as well though, he can do some brilliant stuff, but just not when needed. He should have been rested for his game.

shavenjas
25-06-06, 07:03 PM
Nice win Broncs, good to have one at Brookvale i know the Broncos are going to build at the back half of the season and put a end to all saying they fade every year. GO YOU CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!

Queenslander
26-06-06, 09:14 AM
Lockyer 'didn't take a dive'
Steve Ricketts
The Couirer Mail
June 26, 2006

BRONCOS skipper Darren Lockyer yesterday was forced to defend himself against accusations he took a dive at a crucial stage of Brisbane's gutsy 16-10 win over Manly at Brookvale Oval.

Test skipper Lockyer was called "soft" by irate Manly forwards and booed by Manly supporters as he left the field after the Broncos' first win at the ground since 1992.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett said the two premiership points were vital, given the tough road ahead.

He was especially proud of his men for the way they were able to put behind them their heart-breaking last-minute 18-16 loss to St George Illawarra in the previous round.

It could have happened again yesterday. Manly centre Steve Matai threw a wild speculative pass over the sideline in the 80th minute when seemingly all he had to do was hang on to the ball to score himself and possibly send the match into golden point extra time.

But the Broncos did not deserve to lose.

Even Manly coach Des Hasler admitted the controversy surrounding Lockyer deflected attention from the fact the Sea Eagles did not execute well enough to get the points.

But Hasler was irate at referee Shayne Hayne's display and said he would contact referees' coach Robert Finch this week to air his displeasure.

With Brisbane leading 14-10 in the 77th minute and Manly on a roll after fighting back from 14-0 down early in the second half, Hayne awarded a penalty to the Broncos in front of the posts on a touch judge's report after Lockyer was felled late by interchange forward Mark Bryant.

Corey Parker landed the easy shot and the Broncos were able to hang on for the win even though they surrendered possession from the restart.

As Parker lined up the kick, Manly forward Anthony Watmough kept yelling "you're soft", an obvious reference to Lockyer allegedly taking a dive.

"He made contact with my neck," Lockyer said later. "I wasn't taking a dive. I was genuinely hit in the throat."

Bryant said he was "dirty" on the decision and had not been guilty of any malice as he harassed Lockyer as he kicked the ball.

Hasler claimed all the 50-50 calls went Brisbane's way.

"We did not get one call or bounce of the ball," he said. "There were questionable decisions there and I'll ring Mr Finch during the week. It's plain to see on the video what happened with the (Lockyer) penalty."

Manly skipper Ben Kennedy said the penalty was "ordinary".

"With the game on the line . . . we worked so hard to stay in the game," he said.

"For something very soft like that to put us out of the game was fairly ordinary. But I'm sick of blaming other things. We've got to fix our mistakes."

Bryant probably has nothing to worry about when it comes to attracting a charge for foul play but Manly five-eighth Travis Burns is likely to land in trouble for a high shot on Broncos forward Sam Thaiday.

Brisbane led 10-0 at halftime through tries to fullback Darius Boyd and centre Justin Hodges. Boyd's try came from a Berrigan flick pass.

Bennett said he did not think people realised just how tough the competition was, with the top 12 teams invariably involved in close tussles with six points or less the final margin.

"It's on every week right now," he said.

Pretty poor from the Manly side considering their captain took the biggest dive in Rugby League history in SOO

[BroncosGirl]
26-06-06, 12:36 PM
Huh, he took a dive? I dont even remember this? oh... maybe BECAUSE HE DIDN'T! Seriously!! Lockyer would be one of the last players who would ever take a dve.

SuperCliffy#01
26-06-06, 12:43 PM
The Broco's deserved their win as we played like crap again, i am sick an tired of the absolute crap stuff Manly keeps dishing up with their pathetic ball handling and panic passing at the wrong time in the game, it has been a problem for the Sea Eagle for the last 10 years.cya.

Congratulations Brisbane

Cya :curse:

Supergoose
26-06-06, 12:55 PM
All the 50/50 calls went Brisbanes way. bu!!sh!t!!!!!!!!!

The Broncos were almost the victim of another blatant forward pass. Ben Kenndy's flick in the lead up to the Matai try went at least a metre forward and it only travelled a couple of metres. The refereeing at the moment is rubbish. The Broncos outplayed their opposition again but again failed to capitalise on their opportunities. Neither Manly or the Dragons look like premiership contenders after their last two matches against a staggering Broncos outfit.

BRONCOS FAN
26-06-06, 05:33 PM
Im so clad broncos won. They needed to the two points cause state of origin will get in the way..

Manly Boy
26-06-06, 08:24 PM
Yeah it was a bit of an average game. That refereeing was pathetic in the ruck though absolutely, sack the ref. Sea Eagles had a few chances but we lost it because of stupid mistakes like some of the penalties given away and the Mattai incident at the end of the game where he had a chance to score and possibly even the match. Silly mistakes boys...

BRONCOS FAN
26-06-06, 09:05 PM
Yeah they did make some stubid mistakes...