PDA

View Full Version : Titans sign Turner

Super Cronk
19-06-06, 04:09 PM
rleague.com

Melbourne Storm's Steve Turner is the latest Titans' recruit, signing a two-year deal with the fledgling club. The 21 year olds' decision to move was based on his goal of making a name for himself as a fulltime fullback.

Turner said, "The opportunity to play in my preferred position at fullback excites me. I have been behind some great players at the Storm and have been appreciative for the support they have shown me but the chance to concentrate on the number 1 jersey at a brand new club is something that is too good to pass up."

The 21 year olds' path to achieving his preferred position has been blocked at both first grade clubs he's played with.

Titans Head Coach John Cartwright said, "My involvement with Steve dates back to when he first made grade at the Panthers. He was 16 and playing Premier League which in itself is impressive. He was a very special talent then and it was obvious he was a player of the future and at 21 now he is looking to cement a spot at fullback after being behind Rhys Wesser , Billy Slater and Greg Inglis over the years."

While Turner has had a successful season with Storm, Cartwright believes he will flourish at the new club given more opportunity.

Cartwright said, "The most exciting aspect of Steve is his form this year at the Storm, but we haven't seen the best of this player yet."

Turner said, "The Titans have staff that I am familiar with; John (Cartwright) was my lower grade coach at the Panthers and I played with Satts (Scott Sattler) and also the chance to experience Billy Johnstone as a conditioner is very appealing. Let's hope I can leave the Storm on the highest note possible."

Managing Director of the Titans, Michael Searle, was full of praise for the Storm administration who have handled the Titans approach very professionally.

Searle said, "I want to thank Chief Executive Brian Waldron and Coach Craig Bellamy for their approach during these negotiations. While we understand there is some disappointment at the Storm with Steve moving on I am sure there is also some excitement for his prospects of him gaining more game time in his chosen position of fullback."

Profile Snapshot:

DOB 10/10/1984
Height 177cm
Debut 2002
Started playing rugby league as a seven-year-old in Sydney's west, playing for both St Clair and Cambridge during his junior years.
An under-15 state level touch football player
Signed by the Panthers in 2000.
Was a standout for Penrith's Harold Matthews side and won selection in the NSW under-17 team.
In 2001 he was the Panthers SG Ball Player of the Year, played NSW under-19s and Junior Kangaroos.
In 2002 he made his first grade debut for Penrith against the Storm
In 2003 he signed with Melbourne.

Teegy
19-06-06, 04:12 PM
a good player who will benifit the Titans

Super Cronk
19-06-06, 04:17 PM
damn you Titans!

Nah seriously good luck to Zappa at the Titans next year he will go real well. If he can stay injury free then he will be a great buy.

novacastrian_panther
19-06-06, 04:24 PM
Was always going to happen.

DIEHARD
19-06-06, 04:41 PM
oh Yes!!!!!!!!

He will have Mathers to contend with for the #1 though.

Luke
19-06-06, 05:00 PM
Great signing, very under rated imo.

patskE
19-06-06, 05:19 PM
i dont get it
wat postion is mathers going play?

The opportunity to play in my preferred position at fullback excites me.
sorta says he has the spot
and u dont sign 2 fullbacks, if they get injurred just get a young kid to fill in
there must be plans to play mathers somewere else
maybe wing?

Titanium_BD1103
19-06-06, 05:28 PM
Congrats to the Titans... this is a very very good signing and one I am looking forward to for 2007.. :)

Turner is a superstar of the future with a lot of exciting play and some good thinking... he will do very well no matter where he plays... and it will be good for the team to have both Turner and Mathers competing with each other for a spot, keeps them on their toes.. ;)

Well done GC and keep them coming.. :)

Super Cronk
19-06-06, 05:40 PM
Turner actually goes alright on the wing aswell. When he first played for us he was on the wing and i think he scored 2-3 tries within his first 2 games on the wing but was then injured. And this year he has been going great there aswell.

He says he prefers fullback and if he left the storm to get a regular spot at fullback then it almost seems as he will get the #1 jersey over Mathers.

[BroncosGirl]
19-06-06, 05:42 PM
Really good signing for the Titans, he will do well! Its shaping up to be a very good team. :D

DeeGan
19-06-06, 05:45 PM
Mathers can play centre, as can Turner who also equally good on the wing. I would not be certain at who Carty is going to start for round one - alot can happen between now and then. Mathers is a damn good fullback, Turner will have a head start on him given he is in rehab though it is not going to be a cut and dry case when it comes to who will wear the number one jersey.

Again, he will definately get the opportunity to wear the number one in the pre-season though I am sure he won't complain on any fulltime starting gig with the Titans.

What ever the case may be, Turner is a positive signing who has been impressive with Melbourne this season when given a opportunity. Great signing, welcome to the Titans!

DeeGan
19-06-06, 06:17 PM
Just more on Turner...

I think Steve Turner could go on and have a great career with the Titans and I see a comparison between Turner and Robbie Ross. Ross is the former NSW fullback who was stuck in Newcastle reserve grade and went on to have a very good career with the Hunter Mariners, Brisbane and Melbourne. Turner is quicker than Ross, though they have a similar game with Ross having a better support game at this point. Very exciting prospect here the more and more I think about it :D

Super Cronk
19-06-06, 07:11 PM
Just more on Turner...

I think Steve Turner could go on and have a great career with the Titans and I see a comparison between Turner and Robbie Ross. Ross is the former NSW fullback who was stuck in Newcastle reserve grade and went on to have a very good career with the Hunter Mariners, Brisbane and Melbourne. Turner is quicker than Ross, though they have a similar game with Ross having a better support game at this point. Very exciting prospect here the more and more I think about it :D

Yeh good comparision. Altho Turner isnt much faster then Ross...I think that is mainly due to Turners ankle injury a year or two ago. I remember earlier this year Turner couldnt get within a cats whisker of Jamie Soward sprinting down the sideline. Turner's support play isnt as good as Ross as you mention but then agian im not sure of many fullbacks who had the same talent in support and positioning then Robbie Ross, he knew where to be, when to be there and how fast he had to move his behind to get there and he did it damn well.

Also Turners defence is solid at fullback....to tel you the truth i cant really remember a game where he had an outstanding game in defence at fullback but on the wing he has shown that he is a pretty damn good tackler....just aslong as it isnt Jamie Soward ;)

shavenjas
19-06-06, 07:18 PM
Great signing realy like this player.

TitanBronco
19-06-06, 08:23 PM
Great player. Great signing

Supergoose
19-06-06, 10:13 PM
Top signing and Turner is one of my dreamteam members! Not having seen Mathers play, my bet is the Titans will start Turner at fullback and Mathers in the centres when he is back to full fitness.

maroon man
20-06-06, 06:07 AM
Great signing Titans....Webster next!

Eel 33
20-06-06, 07:46 AM
Another great signing by the Titans, keep up the good work.

DIEHARD
20-06-06, 12:04 PM
http://www.titans.com.au/images/pictures/large/STurner.bmp

Steve Turner

DOB 10/10/1984
Height 177cm
Debut 2002
Started playing rugby league as a seven-year-old with Cambridge Park in Sydney's west.
An under-15 state level touch football player
Signed by the Panthers in 2000.
Was a standout for Penrith's Harold Matthews side and won selection in the NSW under-17 team.
In 2001 he was the Panthers SG Ball Player of the Year, played NSW under-19s and Junior Kangaroos.
In 2002 he made his first grade debut for Penrith against the Storm
In 2003 he signed with Melbourne.

lonegull
20-06-06, 01:19 PM
great young footballer i think he will start f/back with richie in the centres
like the way turner plays safe and he can score a try very good prospect

The Original Idiot
20-06-06, 03:18 PM
I imagine we'd tinker with fullback to start with, until we find who is better. If Mathers wins out, Turner should go to Petersen's current wing spot, but if Turner wins, Mathers should take Webster's centre spot and replace Petersen with Webster. Wither way, Matt Petersen will be playing QLD cup in 2007.

DIEHARD
22-06-06, 01:53 PM
I am looking forward to watching Steve Turner playing #1 this weekend. We also have Friend off the bench for the Storm.

Melbourne v Canterbury is a game not to be missed by Gold Coast Titans fans.

Darren Lockyer
22-06-06, 05:47 PM
we really need to sign webster. i don't think peterson is a very good player and Webster would be a great boost. If we sign webster this is the back line
1. Steve Turner
2. Jake Webster
3. Richie Mathers
4. Josh Graham
5. Brian Carney
6. Preston Campbell
7. Scott Prince

DeeGan
22-06-06, 05:54 PM
The above is a good side though we are not done yet in the player market. I honestly don't think Josh Graham will be starting in the centres. He will play some QLD Cup for mine after spending time away from the code. We will pick up another centre, possibly two, and we will see someone IMO partner either Jake Webster, Steve Turner or Richie Mathers.

Brett Delaney I am a huge fan off as most know, Mick Devere is a possible signing and Josh Hannay is still there though likely to resign with the Cowboys who missed out on Tonga.

Teegy
22-06-06, 05:55 PM
The above is a good side though we are not done yet in the player market. I honestly don't think Josh Graham will be starting in the centres. He will play some QLD Cup for mine after spending time away from the code. We will pick up another centre, possibly two, and we will see someone IMO partner either Jake Webster, Steve Turner or Richie Mathers.

Brett Delaney I am a huge fan off as most know, Mick Devere is a possible signing and Josh Hannay is still there though likely to resign with the Cowboys who missed out on Tonga.
deegs i doubt Josh will resign with the cowboys cause they want to move ty williams into the centres when he comes back.

The Original Idiot
22-06-06, 06:11 PM
deegs i doubt Josh will resign with the cowboys cause they want to move ty williams into the centres when he comes back.
Makes sense, Brenton Bowen will get Williams' wing spot then.

Teegy
22-06-06, 06:12 PM
Makes sense, Brenton Bowen will get Williams' wing spot then.
either bowen or sweeney

The Original Idiot
22-06-06, 06:13 PM
Bowen is 10x better than Sweeney IMO.

Teegy
22-06-06, 06:15 PM
Bowen is 10x better than Sweeney IMO.
me to but bowen has been dropperd this weekend for sweeney. so murray must disagree