PDA

View Full Version : Titans target Myles

DeeGan
18-06-06, 07:14 AM
From the Gold Coast Bulletin:

Titans target Myles
17Jun06
QUEENSLAND State of Origin player Nate Myles yesterday emerged as being on top of the Gold Coast Titans' hit list for their debut into the NRL next year.

Titans managing director Michael Searle confirmed his club was 'extremely interested' in the Bulldogs second rower/prop who comes off contract at the end of this season.

Gold Coast fans will be able to judge whether Myles is worth the expected $250,000-plus price tag when the Bulldogs take on the Cowboys at Carrara tomorrow afternoon.

The 20-year-old 2006 Origin bolter will be courted by at least seven other NRL clubs if the Dogs are unable to keep him under their salary cap.

The Titans have at least two lucrative cards to play in their bid for Myles's signature.

The bulky Cairns youngster trained under and is a big fan of inaugural Titans conditioner Billy Johnstone and he also wants to return to Queensland.

"We will be playing the Origin card, we will be pushing the Queenslander button very hard," said Searle.

Because of June 30 anti-tampering restrictions the Titans have taken their interest only as far as Myles's manager Chris Orr, however they have had their eye on him well before he came to prominence through Origin.

"We have been interested in Nate for at least 12 months," said Searle. "He would be a very good addition to an emerging forward pack."

Orr confirmed that powerhouse Queensland clubs the Broncos and the Cowboys were also chasing Myles along with the Roosters, Melbourne, Souths and the Raiders.

"This is the first time Nate has been off contract for five years," said Orr.

"A lot of clubs have been watching him over the years and a lot are interested in him.

"Nate will look at all options. He will not close off his mind.

"If he can't stay at the Bulldogs for salary cap issues, and it looks very much like that might be the case, he is not just going to jump ship to any old club.

"He will meet with the people who are running the club, the coach and get an indication of the atmosphere, of what the culture is like."

The Gold Coast-based Orr said there were plenty of benefits awaiting Myles if he chose to come to the tourist strip.

"It will be similar as to what is happening to Matt Giteau (who has joined the Western Force in Perth)," said Orr.

"Some of the players who are coming to the Gold Coast are coming to a place where the corporate market has been starved of people like them, of national identities.

"There will be speaking engagements, sponsorships, these sorts of things.

"In Sydney there are nine teams. Here you have a one-team city. And then there is lifestyle."

Orr also said Myles had plenty to offer a club like the Titans.

"He is someone you can build a club around," he said. "He is a 20-year-old Origin prop/second rower who will be playing Origin for the next 10 years.

"He is also a tough kid, you don't get a lot like him. Look at his defence in that second Origin."

This would be a great signing for now and in the future where Myles is potentially a captain of the future. His reputation with me went above and beyond any expectations I had for a 20 y.o. forward after Origin two where he was a tower of stength for Queensland.

The Bulldogs would not be keen to lose Myles so I won't hold my breath though I see this potential signing (when looking at the future) every bit as important as that of Luke Bailey. There are not too many 20 y.o. forwards with Origin experience, this kid looks set for a great career barring injury and I would love to see him ride out that career with the Titans :D

Titanium_BD1103
18-06-06, 10:18 AM
Sorry Deegan... it most probably won't happen... and that is not trying to be rude or pompous... I reckon if we don't sign him, he could end up at any club, just like Willie... just I think, actually I know that the Bulldogs have invested huge amounts into Nate and see him as a leader for the club in the future... (then again we do have a large future leaders list... :laugh:)

Nah seriously though, the Club will use the money it has gained from Willie not choosing to pick up the contract deadline and focus on Nate now... Nate is happy here and we are all aware he does want to go home, but he stated numerous times in interviews that he will only leave if the Bulldogs don't want to keep him...hopefully will be in the Blue and White for many a year to come... :D :D

Smeg Head
18-06-06, 10:43 AM
Boy that would be unreal if we could pick up myles! I really hope so.... I don't know... I hold my doubts whether the doggies will be able to keep him... the money his on at the moment would be nothing compared to what he will be able to command after his origin performances this year... Plus the added bonus of a starting spot at another club... you never know :D

Titanium_BD1103
18-06-06, 10:48 AM
I agree the money he could command at another club is massive, but I reckon the Bulldogs have enough money in the salary cap to give him a deal he would seriously consider... as for the starting spot... he should get one next season for the Bulldogs, especially if Asotasi does leave... as he is too good a player to be on the bench come 2007... ;)

Smeg Head
18-06-06, 11:16 AM
But does Myles prefer to play front row or second row... cause I can tell you that there's no room in the front row at the dogs.... unless Mason does go to the NFL :laugh:

Titanium_BD1103
18-06-06, 11:22 AM
Either... and what do you mean there is no room in the front row... just because NSW played Mason at 8... doesn't mean the Bulldogs will in 2007.... ;)

I am near resigned to the fact that Asotasi will not be in the blue and white in season 2007... and expect Grimaldi to call it curtains at the end of the season (but hope not) and therefore see the Bulldogs line up as this in season 07.. ;)

8. O'Meley, 9. Ngawini, 10. Myles, 11. Mason, 12. Ryan, 13. Maitua

That is a decent line up and illustrates how important it is for the Doggies to keep Myles for season 2007.. :)

DeeGan
18-06-06, 01:00 PM
Sorry Deegan... it most probably won't happen...

As I said, "The Bulldogs would not be keen to lose Myles so I won't hold my breath".

Mark Gasnier was most likely going to rugby wasn't he according to most on this forum? Nothing is certain until the announcement is made. A new QLD club offering an attractive lifestyle - funnier things have happened.

Titanium_BD1103
18-06-06, 02:04 PM
Exactly I agree with you there... anything is possible... so we will just all have to wait and see.. I am looking forward to crazy season though... should be very active and very crazy... ;)

PARANoIR
18-06-06, 05:49 PM
Myles will leave Canterbury.

Hes a money hungry hack. He's already said Canterbury haven't offered him enough, he will go to the Broncos or the Titans.

Supergoose
19-06-06, 10:34 PM
No Sonny-Bill in that forward pack BDT 311? I reckon Maitua may end up at 5/8, I love his running game. On Nate Myles, I reckon he wants the extra cash and a chance to play at a Qld club, with the Broncos losing Webcke they might be the front-runners, particularly if they can't lock up some of their other big name forwards. Would love to see Myles at the Titans, he has been one of Qld's best in the first two Origins and unreservedly deserves a starting spot

Kallan
20-06-06, 09:30 AM
I would like too see Myles at the broncos, but i think it is more likely he will go to a different Club, it would also be good to see him at the titans. :)

Supergoose
20-06-06, 12:18 PM
As long as he comes back to a Qld Club;) He looks stifled at the Bulldogs behind their "all-star" forward pack.

lonegull
20-06-06, 01:20 PM
myles could stay at the doggies if asotasi goes to souths

Chaos
20-06-06, 05:08 PM
No Sonny-Bill in that forward pack BDT 311? I reckon Maitua may end up at 5/8, I love his running game.

If you love Maitua's running game...why would you put him at 5/8?

Titanium_BD1103
21-06-06, 10:57 AM
Supergoose... I don't want SBW in the forward pack as it has such talent ATM...who would you leave out... Maitua is a very good lock and a future star there IMO... however SBW is an impact player... I reckon he could become a really good player like Widders... however I know he wants a starting spot and I do reckon he will be in the side soon... not sure where though..;)

The scenario though now is that with Nate and Roy expected to go... SBW will get his wish of playing the second row... the side would look like this.. :)

8. O'Meley, 9. Ngawini, 10. Mason, 11. Williams, 12. Ryan, 13. Maitua

With Morrin and Brideson coming through... that is a very good pack, even without Nate and Roy... ;)

Back to Nate though... I hope he ends at the Titans... he doesn't seem to be staying at the Bulldogs, unless we don't sign Patten.. highly unlikely... as even with the increase in the salary cap... we don't have the money I don't think after sigining Willie T to keep him.

I wish the Titans all the best in getting him, cause if he doesn't stay at the Dogs... at least I'd be able to still say Myles, who I reckon is a gun, is with a team that I support 100% ... :D :D

patskE
21-06-06, 11:03 AM
yeh our chances of getting him now have increased alot
but dammm i would of rathered tonga

Titanium_BD1103
21-06-06, 11:07 AM
You don't need Tonga.. we at the Bulldogs need centres, hence why everyone is so happy to have Tonga and we are looking to sign McKinnon from the Eels, in the hope of moving him to the centres.

I reckon Nate would be a huge asset to the Titans, he is a prop and secondrower, hardworker and he would be a future leader for the club.. what more could you ask for.. ;)

Social Loafer
21-06-06, 11:22 AM
Canberra might also be making a play at Myles. He would have worked with Neill Henry at Origin so hopefully that might help us.

Titanium_BD1103
21-06-06, 11:26 AM
Yep I know that Schifty... here is the list of clubs that Bulldogs fans know are chasing Myles... :)

- Brisbane Broncos
- Cronulla Sharks
- Canberra Raiders
- Gold Coast Titans
- Wests Tigers
- New Zealand Warriors

They are the most prominent... and that is a long list.. he could go anywhere.. I just hope for the sake of me being able to support him he goes to the Titans.. ;)

Out to those you would have to say the ones who will go the hardest are the Broncos- To replace Webcke, Tigers- They need to replace Lafranchi and Skando, Titans- They would like a secondrower like him and of course the Raiders- Good buy to help consolidate the pretty good forward pack.

I agree he would be a huge asset to the Raiders as well, help to give them a good strong forward pack.

Titanium_BD1103
21-06-06, 04:54 PM
Almost right with those clubs... Get ready for a fight Gold Coast, because this is going to be one battle for the services of Nate Myles.. ;)

Oh and of course: Silly season is about to begin... and it looks like it will be crazy as always...

Myles popular as silly season starts
By Adrian Proszenko
June 21, 2006

BULLDOGS prop Nate Myles is set to become one of the hottest properties on the open market, with seven NRL clubs chasing the Queensland enforcer's signature.

Myles is almost certain to leave the Bulldogs at the end of the season, with Brisbane, North Queensland, Melbourne, Canberra, Souths, Sydney Roosters and the Gold Coast all queuing up for his services.

The 20-year-old, who debuted for the Maroons in the first State of Origin this year and was outstanding in their 30-6 thumping of New South Wales last Wednesday, will test his value on the open market.

"It looks like he's going to leave (the Bulldogs) . . . he's going to wait for June 30 to expire," Myles's manager, Chris Orr, said.

"He's the only Origin forward in both packs that is off contract.

"All things being equal he would have stayed with the Dogs, but they have salary cap issues and so forth."

The Bulldogs are expected to drop out of the running for promising St George-Illawarra centre Daryl Millard after today re-signing Australia representative Willie Tonga until the end of 2008.

However, Sydney Roosters, the Sharks and North Queensland are all in the hunt for Millard's signature.

Having today signed Parramatta super-sub Dean Widders to a three-year-deal, South Sydney has continued its quest to bolster its roster for next season.

Currently negotiating with Bulldogs prop Roy Asotasi, the Rabbitohs are also hopeful of snaring teammates Myles and Daniel Conn, although it's understood Eels fullback Wade McKinnon has ruled out returning to his former club.

Promising forward Conn has also received expressions of interest from Brisbane Broncos, Gold Coast and Wests Tigers, while New Zealand Warriors are keen on McKinnon, with the Bulldogs also coming into the frame if Luke Patten leaves the club.

The Eels are hopeful of retaining centre Brett Delaney, but there is also interest from the Sharks, Newcastle and Gold Coast.

Despite playing him predominantly in Premier League, the Sharks are hopeful of retaining Richard Villasanti, although the Roosters and the Bulldogs view the former Kangaroo prop as a fallback option if they miss out on Asotasi.

Allan Gainey, manager of Mark Minichiello, said there was not yet a formal offer for his client to re-sign for Souths, with the Titans and Knights keen on his services.

The Titans have also expressed an interest in Penrith duo Michael Gordon and Danny Galea, although they may need to compete with the Tigers and Sharks for Galea, while the Sharks and Warriors have their eye on Gordon.

There is also a chance the duo could be retained by the Panthers if they miss out on St Helens star Jamie Lyon.

There are two clubs interested in promising Wests Tigers winger Taniela Tuiaka if he doesn't re-sign with the premiers.

AAP

Teegy
21-06-06, 05:48 PM
how can broncs be wanting him. they already have enough for 2 NRL forward packs.

Titanium_BD1103
21-06-06, 06:05 PM
I think it has been suggested as Webcke is expected to retire... honestly they are on the lower end of the scale as to who I reckon will get Nate, unless both they and the Roosters throw big dollars and as Para says, Nate is money hungry... they won't be the top choices.

I reckon out of that list: North Queensland, Canberra and Souths along with of course the GC Titans are favourites to be pressing hard, then again I have never seen the Roosters not chase a top line player.. ;)

Kallan
21-06-06, 06:20 PM
how can broncs be wanting him. they already have enough for 2 NRL forward packs.
Some of them are getting pretty old though, Webcke is going, thorn should be! and carlaw... well enough said. Broncos don't need Myles but i think it would be pretty cool if we got him if not the titans.

Titanium_BD1103
25-06-06, 02:45 PM
Well this is the complete list of clubs that want to have Nate Myles for season 2007 from the Sunday Telegraph... if you wish I can tomorrow post this list for every club and every player.... but will only do it if everyone really wants it.. ;)

Anyway to Nate Myles... From: The Sunday Telegraph, 25th June 2006, p.53

List of Clubs that are after Nate Myles for 2007:

- Brisbane Broncos
- Canberra Raiders
- Gold Coast Titans
- Melbourne Storm
- North Queensland Cowboys
- South Sydney Rabbitohs
- St George Illawarra Dragons
- Sydney Roosters

Steve Dangerous
25-06-06, 02:47 PM
myles is such a good young player.

he's exactly the type of guy we want. no wonder he's being targeted by so many!

Titanium_BD1103
25-06-06, 02:49 PM
Whether you get him is another question entirely... I reckon every club is in with a chance but the newspapers have also been saying it is NQ Cowboys and Canberra are stating that this is their key signing and so will be willing to throw large amounts of money at Myles... so this will be a very very tough battle, I wish the Titans all the best of luck.

Steve Dangerous
25-06-06, 02:52 PM
we definately won't be able to throw him the largest moneybag, but surely the gold coast is a far more attractive living option than canberra or townsville... we got that much on our side at least!

Titanium_BD1103
25-06-06, 02:55 PM
That is true... question of what Myles wants... I don't know frankly... all I do know is a lot of people say its about money... I hope not... not because of what team I want Nate to go to... but more because I see Nate as someone who is more real, not so superficial that it only about the money and the highest price wins.

Teegy
25-06-06, 02:56 PM
Well this is the complete list of clubs that want to have Nate Myles for season 2007 from the Sunday Telegraph... if you wish I can tomorrow post this list for every club and every player.... but will only do it if everyone really wants it.. ;)

Anyway to Nate Myles... From: The Sunday Telegraph, 25th June 2006, p.53

List of Clubs that are after Nate Myles for 2007:

- Brisbane Broncos
- Canberra Raiders
- Gold Coast Titans
- Melbourne Storm
- North Queensland Cowboys
- South Sydney Rabbitohs
- St George Illawarra Dragons
- Sydney Roosters
i would really like it if you post it

Titanium_BD1103
25-06-06, 03:01 PM
Ok sure thing Teegy... I will start it now on the other thread... it will be in club order and who they are looking for... the list is shaky IMO though having re-read it... so it might be slight rumour, didn't Kaufusi just re-sign with Melbourne, GC apparently are after him... :lol!:

dan the man
29-06-06, 10:57 PM
Oooh i am excited should be some action and great signings ... BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

lonegull
30-06-06, 07:00 AM
myles will be good he can develop into a great leader and i think one day will wear the gren and gold gee i hope we get him