PDA

View Full Version : Origin: Hunt out for 6-8 weeks with broken foot

DeeGan
17-06-06, 02:08 PM
Origin: Hunt out for 6-8 weeks with broken foot

More details to follow.

Devastating news for Queensland, he was very good in his debut. I don't think Matt Bowen is the man to replace him and Greg Inglis is unlikely given he is listed as week to week and his expected comeback is round 17 where the Storm have a bye. As I said in another thread, chancing Inglis with no game time since game one is not an option IMO.

I would bring in Clinton Schifcofske. Arguably the safest fullback in the competition and is a veteran that will slip straight in to the team and strike up an effective combination with Lockyer as he is a very good at chiming into the line.

Social Loafer
17-06-06, 02:12 PM
Schifcofske really desrves a shot at the Origin #1 spot, has great leadership, defence and shown he has the creativity and strength to score good tries.
He has also been in solid form all season and last week was brilliant.

But I'm not going to get my hopes up too high...

DeeGan
17-06-06, 02:15 PM
My backline is (assuming Inglis is not considered due to injury); Schifcofske, Tate, Berrigan, Hodges, Mogg, Lockyer, Thurston

TitanBronco
17-06-06, 03:00 PM
That's really bad news. I was looking foward to seeing him play in game 3. I hope Inglis is fit enough to play which is unlikely. I'd have him as Hunt's replacement at fullback or if he can't then it's back to Bowen.

Kallan
17-06-06, 04:13 PM
:( that sucks, yeah i would bring in Schifcofske or Bowen

Steelers
17-06-06, 04:21 PM
I have been one of the harshest critics of Hunt, but I wanted him to be in SOO 3. Now that he won't be, Clinton deserves the call up. Bowen has been shocking lately coinciding with the Cowboys poor form.

Queenslander
17-06-06, 04:22 PM
Dang, and Hunt has been playing so well recently :( Schifcofske should replace Hunt at fullback and Bowen can come into the squad as an interchange player to cover for the likely loss of Inglis.

BRONCOS FAN
17-06-06, 04:53 PM
Yeah im damn anoyed that this is happening. But it can't be helped and i think they should give Bowen another shot...

Super Cronk
17-06-06, 05:07 PM
Ild think Slater would be in the running somewhere. I would go with Schifcofske because he is great in defence and will save tons of tries for QLd.

If not him then Bowen will get picked.

Supergoose
17-06-06, 08:38 PM
Slater is having trouble making the Storm run-on side. As Bowen was 18th man I reckon that Qld will go back to him if Inglis doesn't play next Friday night. With Bell out as well though, there could be some shuffling with Berrigan but a new back will still have to be found. Could be Slater, Craig Frawley, Willie Tonga or Rhys Wesser although the selectors have already shied away from Wesser as an option.

[BroncosGirl]
17-06-06, 08:41 PM
*sigh* its been such a crap weekend so far!!!! Too many injuries, Poor Hunt, was going so well, and really desserved to play in Origin 3!!

I'd bring in Shif too, would love to see him in there :)!

..::Coops::..
17-06-06, 08:50 PM
yeah like ppl have said above, i'd bring in schif for fullback, or bowen. but schif as 1st choice cos i think he been playing real well.

my backline (assume inglis unfit)
schif
tate
hodgo
berro
mogg
locky
thurston
if inglis fit - then slot him in centres and maybe move berro back to utility

Cowboys_Rabbit_Fan
17-06-06, 11:15 PM
I would certainly put Bowen into fullback again. Not because I am a Cowboys fan and he plays for them, but for that fact that he has done it for us before. Look at game one last year, where he intercepted in Golden point to win the match, I can't guarantee that he'll do that again, but I can guarantee he'll get the job done and possibly suprise us.
Backline:
1. BOWEN
2. TATE
3. HODGES
4. BERRIGAN (I would go with Inglis, but he is injured until round 17 and will not have a chance to play before Origin, Bell would also come before Berrigan, but I have no idea what's happened to him.)
5. MOGG
6. LOCKYER
7. THURSTON

Titanium_BD1103
18-06-06, 11:27 AM
Shame for Hunt... whilst I don't rate him as a player that much, he is good, but no superstar and Inglis deserves to be there, I would not wish injury on any player.. :(

Inglis to Fullback for mine for Game 3... with Mogg and Schifcofske on the wings... and Hodges and Tate in the centres... that is the best Queensland can do IMO... and I am a NSW supporter.. ;)

EDIT: Inglis is injured... ok Schif at Fullback, and Bowen on the wing... :)

Manly Boy
18-06-06, 02:19 PM
I think that this is unfortunate for the Queensland and Brisbane side. I think that either Bowen or Schifkoske should get another crack at the spot as they have both played and if going off recent form i would probably select Schifkoske...

Supergoose
20-06-06, 12:53 AM
While Schifcoske would be solid I reckon that Frawley would add more from the wing and for this reason I would drop Mogg back to fullback. If Tonga can get himself on the field against the Storm he could be a goer, if not Berrigan has to partner Hodges with Tate on the other wing. Bowen, Slater or Wesser on the bench!

Kallan
20-06-06, 12:33 PM
Bowen's Origin hope

North Queensland fullback Matt Bowen believes he will be fit in time for Origin III despite suffering an ankle injury during his side's loss to the Bulldogs on Sunday.

Bowen, who was 18th man for game two, is tipped to replace Karmichael Hunt at fullback with the Broncos star sidelined for two months with a broken foot.

Storm sensation Greg Inglis is another candidate for the No.1 jersey, but he is unlikely to recover in time from a fractured back.

Bowen will have scans on his ankle on Monday, but said it has been improving since he came off late in the game at Carrara Stadium.

"I can walk on it but it is hurting a little," Bowen told the Courier-Mail.

"I'll keep on treating it and see what the doctor thinks. I've had this type of injury before and it has tended to settle down pretty quickly.

"We'll just have to see how it is a bit later in the week."

Bowen was dropped from the starting the Maroons' starting line-up following a lacklustre performance in game one, but is confident of making a return to the run-on side.

"There were a few aspects of my game I needed to have a look at and I think I've done that," he said.

"It was great to see the boys win the way they did (in game two) but a big part of me definitely wanted to be out there with them.

"To be 18th man was a boost for my confidence. It means I'm still in the picture."

sportal.com.au

Hoppy2007Dragons
20-06-06, 02:00 PM
Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy believes his fullback Greg Inglis won't be fit to play for Queensland in the State of Origin series decider at Telstra Dome on July 5.

Inglis was forced to pull out of Origin II with a neck injury, told he could risk permanent damage by playing.

Early hopes he could return for the decider in Melbourne have ended with Bellamy saying the 19-year-old isn't expected to return to training for at least another two weeks.

"I don't think (Inglis will be available of Origin). I spoke to medical staff yesterday and he is still two or three weeks away from training," Bellamy told Sydney radio 2KY.

"He will be checked again but at this stage you would probably think Origin is a week too early for him.

"We have got to make sure we manage him perfectly because he is obviously a very important player and hopefully he will have a really good, long career here in Melbourne and for Queensland as well."

Bellamy meanwhile threw his support behind Storm five-eighth Scott Hill, who is being touted as a possible NSW inclusion for the decider.

Bellamy had dumped Hill earlier in the year but believes the former NSW and Australia player has been one of his best players in the past month.

"The last three weeks his form has really picked up, and it is hard to buy the experience he has got having played Origin and for Australia," he said.

"If they decide to go with Scott I'm sure he won't let them down

www.nrl.com.au
Clinton for fullback