PDA

View Full Version : Dragons early 2006 favourites

DeeGan
05-10-05, 12:10 PM
Dragons early 2006 favourites
October 5, 2005

NEW premier the Wests Tigers has been listed as joint fifth favourite in early 2006 NRL betting markets.

Beaten preliminary finalist St George Illawarra ($4.50) and Parramatta ($6) have been installed as the top two favourites in Centrebet's 2006 NRL market.

The Sydney Roosters, which crashed to ninth this year after playing in four of the last five grand finals, is third at $8 with this year's runners-up North Queensland Cowboys at $10.

Alongside the Tigers at $11 are Brisbane, the Bulldogs, and wooden-spooner Newcastle.

Penrith is $17 to win the premiership, with the Sharks, Manly and South Sydney $21, Melbourne $26, New Zealand Warriors $34 and Canberra Raiders the rank-outsider at $51.

AAP

I see their reasoning here.

A week back I pointed out that under Nathan Brown's coaching the Dragons had continually improved both position wise on the ladder and stat wise in most departments. In 2006, I think they will once again improve knowing this is the last chance for the current first grade who will be split up in 2007 to an extent.

Teegy
05-10-05, 12:14 PM
Why us. we hate being favorites

Queenslander
05-10-05, 12:19 PM
$4.50 for a team that chokes every year!?! sometimes i dont get this betting thing. But does this mean that most people believe that the Dragons will win or does this mean that people have put more money on them to win?

Teegy
05-10-05, 12:21 PM
$4.50 for a team that chokes every year!?! sometimes i dont get this betting thing. But does this mean that most people believe that the Dragons will win or does this mean that people have put more money on them to win?
Most people think they will win

Queenslander
05-10-05, 12:22 PM
Most people think they will win

Cool i always thought that the more money invested on a team, the lower the price goes. ah well i was wrong :cool:

DeeGan
05-10-05, 12:24 PM

At this time, it is more the team who the bookies believe are entitled to be favourites heading into the 2006 season.

The Dragons have not done as well as expected in the finals series in recent times though no bookie or betting agency is willing to put them out of the top 3 or 4 teams with the roster on hand. The same up until perhaps now has been said for the Broncos.

Interesting to see the Knights, 2005 wooden spooners sitting pretty at $11.00 with the likes of Brisbane and 2004 premieres Canterbury.

DeeGan

Queenslander
05-10-05, 12:27 PM
Interesting to see the Knights, 2005 wooden spooners sitting pretty at $11.00 with the likes of Brisbane and 2004 premieres Canterbury.

DeeGan

They of course are relying on the fact the Andrew Jones will play most of the games next year. But the biggest surprise was canberra down the bottom, they were playing well at the start of this season, it seemed they just lost the plot

DeeGan
05-10-05, 12:36 PM
The Knights are a team I will take a punt on in 2006 though admittedly I thought the bookies would offer more value at the beginning of the year.

As for Canberra, I am not sure they are my favourites for running last in 2006 though if I am a Canberra fan, I am not overly concerned with what the bookies are quoting here. I am more interested in what they are offering for at least a top 8 spot.

DeeGan

Queenslander
05-10-05, 12:39 PM
Personally i would put money on the cowboys, they are getting so close:
2004: Prelim Final
2005: Grand Final (lost)
2006: Grand Final (win) ;)

Steelers
05-10-05, 02:22 PM
The Dragons may have choked the last few years, but every year we choke that little bit further into the competition. So if that trend continues, we should be in the GF :). I honestly don't believe that the Dragons are chokers. Last year they were unlucky, losing by a point and being kicked out. This year we were beaten by an in form side while we had just had 2 weeks off in a month.

Dakink
05-10-05, 02:24 PM
As for Canberra, I am not sure they are my favourites for running last in 2006 though if I am a Canberra fan, I am not overly concerned with what the bookies are quoting here. I am more interested in what they are offering for at least a top 8 spot.

Canberra were decimated by injuries, before that they were travelling well. At one stage they had something like 15 1st grade players unavailable. Worth a punt for the 8.

Super Cronk
05-10-05, 03:54 PM
lol..i like how the storm are $26 to win it and the excuse used is "beause you lost orford" ....LMFAO. thats a good thing!!! ...but doesnt bother me we travel under the radar every year , we will do it agian.

[BroncosGirl]
05-10-05, 04:06 PM
Dragons favourites??? Pfftt, most people think they can win every year, and then they're wrong :p... I thought BRisbane would like $20 or something.

Super Cronk
05-10-05, 04:16 PM
the warriors should $10000000000000000 to win it

Dakink
06-10-05, 07:35 AM
Storm are most surely one of the best value at the moment..