PDA

View Full Version : Origin: Should Johns be allowed back for game three?

DeeGan
16-06-06, 09:33 AM
Origin: Should Johns be allowed back for game three?

Well the hypothetical poll we brought to light earlier in the year looks like it may come to fruition - we asked members if it was 1-1 heading to Melbourne, would the selectors call upon Andrew Johns?

As we know Johns retired from rep footy after the May 2006 Test (something I didn't agree with given you should not be able to pick and choose) and has stated he is done with rep footy to concentrate on club form with the Knights. Johns was adamant about not coming back to the Origin arena when speaking to Vossy on Ch9 during the game though was rather coy about the question when posed it when arriving back in Sydney yesterday which suggests he is thinking about it.

Rumour has it he has expressed his desire to play game three in Melbourne to some of his NSW team mates as reported by Danny Weidler on Ch9.

Should Johns be allowed back for game three?

NSW are going to have three or four legit contenders for the halfback position (Orford, Gower, Finch & Kimmorley) who have not stated they were unavailable for Origin before the series started - for mine, they should be considered for the position not the player who apparently can pick and choose his moments when it comes to rep footy.

Personally, I would love to see Johns back in a NSW Blue jumper, though that would of been from game one onwards, not for game three only when he is on record as saying he won't be coming back. Johns also turned down the approach to play for NSW in game two unlike Brett Finch.

It is a worrying sign for NSW if they feel they need to call on Johns to give them the lift they need to take out the title. As a Queensland fan I hope he does come back so as the excuse of "well we didn't have Andrew Johns" can not be used if they lose the series despite being up 1-0 early.

Look for the 'Ben Kennedy to come back' rumour to start in the coming week or two as well.

Teegy
16-06-06, 09:37 AM
if he comes back ill lose alot of respect that i have of him. just as i did when alfie and freddy made comebacks. no way he should. when you retire then you should stay retired

DeeGan
16-06-06, 09:59 AM
Johns has reiterated in his column for the Telegraph that he will not be coming out of retirement to play game three - I will still adopt the 'wait and see' approach.

It is rumoured that Gower will come in to the side at halfback with Scott Hill or Mark Gasnier to five-eight. If Gaz is moved in one, Cooper will come in to replace him at centre.

I think any time you can get the ball more in to the hands of Gasnier it is a good thing - I think he will eventually be a very good five-eight. Though moving him to five-eight in an Origin decider? I hope the move is made as a Queensland fan :D

Titanium_BD1103
16-06-06, 10:03 AM
There is a lot of speculation about this... and you missed the heated debate that was had on a radio program late last night/ early this morning... I can't remember which one..I was driving home... but it was pretty interesting... it involved someone who was close to the Roosters and I think from memory some guy on 2KY.... it was about Finch and Anasta being dropped along with Wing and the Roosters bloke was going on about how if Johns and Johns had been out of form in the 90's we wouldn't have dropped them, and that this was a smear campaign against the Roosters... ;)

The game plan is either Gas or Scott Hill according to the media, personally I'd go with Scott, although I reckon Gas will be a great 5/8th in years to come... Scott is a great player who would work well if we had Orford at Halfback and it seems more likely that with the bye this weekend for Penrith, it will be either Orford or Kimmorley at number 7 for Game 3... :)

As for Johns coming back, I would say no... as much as a NSW supporter I enjoyed watching him play, he chose to retire and as Teegy said, you lose respect when you come back from retirement continously...and I would hate that to happen to a player such as Andrew Johns... who will be remembered as one of the greats of NSW Origin among many things... :)

HodgoBerro
16-06-06, 10:34 AM
i'm sorry he announced his retirement from rep footy - you can't come back after that

Wasn't there a new rule put in force over this?

Super Cronk
16-06-06, 10:36 AM
I dont think there should be a rule that says once your retired you cant come back, so if he wants to play and NSW want to select them then i dont mind, but the thing is im will lose all respect for Joey Johns...i think he is a man of his word and if he goes back on that then it will prove NSW is a joke for not moving on.

mb63
16-06-06, 11:09 AM
if he comes back ill lose alot of respect that i have of him. just as i did when alfie and freddy made comebacks. no way he should. when you retire then you should stay retired
Spot on,makes a mockery of the selection process.

HodgoBerro
16-06-06, 11:43 AM
I dont think there should be a rule that says once your retired you cant come back, so if he wants to play and NSW want to select them then i dont mind, but the thing is im will lose all respect for Joey Johns...i think he is a man of his word and if he goes back on that then it will prove NSW is a joke for not moving on.

the new rule that was inforced was something along the line of the players who picked and choosed

they then elaborated on it by saying once you've retired - thats it.

DeeGan
16-06-06, 11:55 AM
Johns can write to the ARL board asking for an 'exemption' as such though with the talent available for NSW at halfback, it is expected any such move would be hosed down by the ARL board.

Social Loafer
16-06-06, 12:00 PM
I think the only reason why they might choose Johns is that it would be because of the MASSIVE exposure and publicity it would bring ot the game...

patskE
16-06-06, 12:14 PM
i h8 ppl who retire then come back...
like wats the point really
says something about nsw if they cant win without him
they shoul drop finch and anasta and get grower and orford or something

HodgoBerro
16-06-06, 12:36 PM
Johns can write to the ARL board asking for an 'exemption' as such though with the talent available for NSW at halfback, it is expected any such move would be hosed down by the ARL board.

if i was the arl i'd make sure that letter was straight to the shredder imo

its the same with fittler - said he was too old too tired and wanted to focus on club footy

johns said the same and now he wants a comeback - i don't think so.

Kallan
16-06-06, 01:35 PM
Now way should he be allowed too, he has retired and he should not be able to return just because it is a origin decider, i will lose respect for him if he does, nsw have plenty of halfbacks- gower, orford, finch, kimmorely etc..

Dakink
16-06-06, 02:48 PM
if i was the arl i'd make sure that letter was straight to the shredder imo

its the same with fittler - said he was too old too tired and wanted to focus on club footy

johns said the same and now he wants a comeback - i don't think so.

Only prob with that is that it isnt Johns wanting the comeback..

The interview I saw the question was put to him and he answered;

He would have to have a hard think about it, but no he wouldnt come back. I dont think he would, but even if he did - good luck to him - you are a long time retired.

Manly Boy
16-06-06, 02:51 PM
I think that if Johns wishes to make a come back then let him, but i would rather it that he didn't play although i am a nsw supporter you can't always ely on Joey to win the series for us. I think that there are many quality players out there who could do the job almost just as well such as Orford, Kimmorley if need be or Gower...

Townsville Titan
17-06-06, 12:45 AM
If Johns wants to play, theres NO reason why he shouldnt. Are ppl scared that he might be enough for the Blues to win??? Seriously, how could anyone lose respect for Johns if he comes back??? I have alot more respect for a loyal player(Johns) than a player who goes back on his word given circumstances. Sure, we have plenty of other options, Orford (not in career-best form), Gower (unreliable due to frequent injuries), Finch (LOL, just look at Origin 1), Kimmorley (Ive hardly heard his name all season), ... who else...??

Steelers
17-06-06, 01:06 AM
TBH I don't care if he comes back or not... like he said, doesn't matter who the halfback was last Wednesday, QLD would still have won.

Townsville Titan
17-06-06, 01:59 AM
Lol

TitanBronco
17-06-06, 01:37 PM
I don't want him too but he most probaly will play.

DeeGan
17-06-06, 01:46 PM
There is a suggestion he won't directly make himself available though it could all change if the NSWRL approach him ;) The drama of 'will he or won't he' won't be over until the team is announced in a couple of weeks.