PDA

View Full Version : Football's popularity in Australia

Steelers
14-06-06, 06:26 PM
It is obvious that now with success on the world stage that our national team has achieved, and with an improving national competition, that AFL, Rugby League and Rugby Union are being challenged for supremecy by a serious threat in the form of Football. TBH I hope that Rugby Union cops the brunt of Football's heightened popularity :satan: What does everyone else think... will Football become as popular as the other codes? Will it just go back to the way it was after the World Cup?

Titanium_BD1103
14-06-06, 06:58 PM
In all honesty... I was going to post this thread.. then I thought and I have no real idea... ;)

I reckon it will surge for sure, particularly if we can get into the second round and even if we miss out only just.. but we will get into the second round.. :D :D

However afterwards, it will all depend on the FFA working their butts off to do the job... I mean no one really remembered SOO was on tonight and that shows the power the world game can have on its biggest stage. We have Asian Cup qualifers soon and if the FFA promote that well then who knows...

I can assure you though that Football will never go back to the way it was.. it has had too much happen and with a strong national competition and regular games, it will only grow stronger. I think it will be equal to League and Union come Asian Cup time, its throughout and afterwards that will determine its true future as a dominant partner in the sporting relationship in Australia... there are a lot of converts after Monday... the FFA has to keep them.. :)

Steelers
14-06-06, 07:35 PM
In all honesty... I was going to post this thread.. then I thought and I have no real idea... ;)

I reckon it will surge for sure, particularly if we can get into the second round and even if we miss out only just.. but we will get into the second round.. :D :D

However afterwards, it will all depend on the FFA working their butts off to do the job... I mean no one really remembered SOO was on tonight and that shows the power the world game can have on its biggest stage. We have Asian Cup qualifers soon and if the FFA promote that well then who knows...

I can assure you though that Football will never go back to the way it was.. it has had too much happen and with a strong national competition and regular games, it will only grow stronger. I think it will be equal to League and Union come Asian Cup time, its throughout and afterwards that will determine its true future as a dominant partner in the sporting relationship in Australia... there are a lot of converts after Monday... the FFA has to keep them.. :)

Fully agree... I think that the FFA has an easier job on its hands with our 'success' at the World Cup... but they can't just sit back and let things happen. It will be bigger than League, Union and AFL if the FFA play their cards right, and Australia keep up their success. And I must admit, I even forgot about SOO for a few days because of the World Cup :p

Manly Boy
18-06-06, 01:59 PM
I think that it will all depend on how well the Socceroos go. If we perform well and there are alot of good close games then more people will go to the football form. If we fail misserably and get flogged in the next few matches then i think people will be turned of football because of the performance. I rather Rugby League and Football much much more than AFL and Union. Really dislike union....

Eel 33
18-06-06, 02:39 PM
It will impact on all codes, whether we like it or not. As long as a continued effort by the players that pull the Socceroos jersey are good, it will be supported and participation will grow. Anything to take ppl away from GAyFL is good IMO.

novacastrian_panther
18-06-06, 05:49 PM
I doubt the A-League will get any where near as much popularity as the internationals do.

Social Loafer
18-06-06, 07:12 PM
The World Cup if the biggest sporting even in the wolrd, offcourse nothing is going to come close in terms of hype and popurality.

Last years A-League averaged 10,800 a game, that includes NZ who only managed 3400 match...
Sydney FC average over 16,000 a game.. Which is more then the Sydney Roosters currently average, you also have to take into account that Roosters get plenty of away supporters to bump up crowds. Sydney F.C's clostest team is the Central Coast....

SuperCliffy#01
19-06-06, 12:21 PM
The only way the A-League would ever supplant the NRL, AFL or ARU in this country is for the likes of Viduka and Kewell to return home and play here locally, and we then can attract top international player here, but at what cost.cya. :clap:

DIEHARD
19-06-06, 12:27 PM
Soccer will never challenge rugby league or AFL. Union maybe.

But soccer can find a place in the sporting landscape and be embraced, but never fully.

And for the record we are a rare country with four football codes, so like the rest of Australia, I'll continue to refer to it as soccer and generally as football. I am not going to dance to John O'neils name stealing tune, like he did with rugby. You may say everyone else calls it football exclusively, but we aren't everyone else, we are Australia and we embrace four football codes.

Go Socceroos though and I will be going to some Roar games at the end of the season.

Titanium_BD1103
19-06-06, 01:26 PM
DIEHARD.. you have summed it up very nicely here... :)

The thing is in all truth, there are enough sporting fans in Australia for us to support all our sports and be happy... :)

Football/Soccer will from this day onward be prominent in the landscape of Australian sport and I am sure that more people will turn up to games and watch the A-League because of it. Will it take over Rugby Union and AFL no one really knows, and no one really cares as that is the great thing about Australia, we can support numerous groups of sports and be a part of numerous sporting teams.

I think in the juniors level this will help stablise Football as a game and ensure more people keep playing it through to seniors... but as for fans... there is enough pie for everyone to have a slice, so lets all just enjoy the fact that Football is back.. I know I am.. :D :D

novacastrian_panther
26-06-06, 03:01 PM
The World Cup if the biggest sporting even in the wolrd, offcourse nothing is going to come close in terms of hype and popurality.

What I meant was that the A-League probably won't be that popular this coming season, but saying that it should be more popular that last season. Hopefully all franchises are competitive instead of just 7.

Chaos
26-06-06, 08:07 PM
Soccer will grow in the junior ranks whether we like it or not.
Fans grow from home pride and relationships they may have with players.

Juniors turn into seniors and fans will grow with them.
The socceroos have already made it to the second stage of the world cup...you can't turn back time.

Steve Dangerous
26-06-06, 10:58 PM
I'll have to wait and see what happens when the hype dies down. During the Rugby world cup there was plenty of talk about how well it had gone and how support had been revitalised etc, but now the union supporter base is back to normal.

the football/soccer profile will definately be raised, and having regular games in the asian region will provide a lot more to support/follow.

i really don't see sports as competing, though. i enjoy league, union, football, cricket... it's not really a one or the other situation. the support for the socceroos really just proves just because you follow another sport doesn't mean you can't get behind your team in another.

although i went to a school where you either played union or soccer lol... and soccer kids (i.e. me) would cop plenty of slack for not playing rugby. the world cup will probably help erase negative attitudes, at least.

Super Cronk
26-06-06, 10:59 PM
I think the popularity will definately grow in the junior ranks over the years.

My reasnoning is...that compared to Rugby league soccer is easier to play as a kid, where as league is easier to watch compared to playing.

In junior soccer...its basically one kid kicks it and everyone chases, ofcourse as you go up by age it gets better but it doesnt change much untill the 13's and a little older.

Where as rugby league...altho fun to play(and kids love it still) its much harder to play when you have to learn to tackle, pass, kick and step etc.

Then when it comes to viewing....kids would much rather watch a Billy Slater or Sonny Bill Williams on tv over watching a soccer game where it is quite slow and at times boring...and as kids they would lose concentration to easy.

Not sure if im wrong on the above...but thats how i see it.

ps: im not saying thats the ONLY reason it will grow...just one small reason as to why it might be more popular with kids.

Steve Dangerous
26-06-06, 11:11 PM
i think the interest comes down to what you've grown up with. i mean if i watch an AFL match i get so so bored, while another person can be on the edge of their seat. i mean i got bored during the lions grand final wins! league and soccer i can both appreciate and get really into. union i find a bit slow and find tennis really really boring. i think it's more what you know and what you follow than the actual game. i mean, i love test match cricket and to outsiders of the game it is possibly the most boring thing on earth lol

Super Cronk
26-06-06, 11:16 PM
i think the interest comes down to what you've grown up with. i mean if i watch an AFL match i get so so bored, while another person can be on the edge of their seat. i mean i got bored during the lions grand final wins! league and soccer i can both appreciate and get really into. union i find a bit slow and find tennis really really boring. i think it's more what you know and what you follow than the actual game. i mean, i love test match cricket and to outsiders of the game it is possibly the most boring thing on earth lol

Yeah but as kids...you play whats fun.

As adults...it will definately be hard to gain more supporters, there are a hell of alot of bandwagoners going around at the moment i dont think that will grow the popularity at all...coz once the world cup is over then they will move on.

Steve Dangerous
26-06-06, 11:27 PM
i think you've underestimated the skill in it though. it's definately more skillful than league, just nowhere near as physical.

the hype will definately die down, and it's not going to challenge the 'major' codes but it will have more of a presence. i mean afl has managed to infiltrate brisbane rather well. the socceroos playing will be more of a big thing, although i don't think it's going to maintain this huge level of interest. i don't think it will be much of an afl v nrl thing, but more of a co-existance.

Steve Dangerous
26-06-06, 11:31 PM
here's something i found on sport in australia:

According to the Sweeney Sports report, the "big four" sports in Australia based on interest, are Australian rules (59%), tennis (56%), swimming (56%) and cricket (53%). The other three football codes are the next three sports on the list. According to the study, their interest levels are: Rugby League (42%), Soccer (41%) and Rugby Union (40%). The levels of interest are based on participation, attendance and media interest.

Super Cronk
26-06-06, 11:37 PM
i think you've underestimated the skill in it though. it's definately more skillful than league, just nowhere near as physical.

the hype will definately die down, and it's not going to challenge the 'major' codes but it will have more of a presence. i mean afl has managed to infiltrate brisbane rather well. the socceroos playing will be more of a big thing, although i don't think it's going to maintain this huge level of interest. i don't think it will be much of an afl v nrl thing, but more of a co-existance.

No i know how much skill is invovled in soccer....BUT as a kid say at the age of 10, the average 10 year old who is joining upto play soccer tomorrow wont have all these skills and wont need them. If you can kick and run then you can play junior soccer....the same cant really be said for rugby league.

No doubting that at a senior level the skill level is outstanding.

Dakink
27-06-06, 09:12 AM
No i know how much skill is invovled in soccer....BUT as a kid say at the age of 10, the average 10 year old who is joining upto play soccer tomorrow wont have all these skills and wont need them. If you can kick and run then you can play junior soccer....the same cant really be said for rugby league.

No doubting that at a senior level the skill level is outstanding.

Think you might need to go and have a look at some of the skill levels of the kids nowdays Cronk - games where the whole group follow the ball are basically restricted now to under 8's and below.

Our coaching has improved out of sight and technical formations and skills are being learnt earlier and earlier.....