PDA

View Full Version : No parade for tigers

Super Cronk
05-10-05, 12:05 AM
WESTS Tigers fans will be denied the opportunity to cheer their heroes in a ticker tape parade ? despite Swans supporters getting that chance days after their team's Grand Final victory.

A spokesman for Lord Mayor Clover Moore said the team had been offered a "private victory reception" at Town Hall.

He said there had been no discussion of a parade because that would set a precedent that would be difficult to maintain.

"Every second year we would have to have one for a Sydney team and we'd have to do it for basketballers, cricketers and netballers," he said.

The spokesman said the Swans were given a city parade because their victory was an "historical, one-off first" where a Sydney team had won the AFL grand final.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said it was important Wests Tigers fans got an appropriate opportunity to celebrate the victory.

"Wests Tigers fans deserve to share in the glory of winning the premiership," Mr Gallop said yesterday.

"They have shown they know how to party."

Fans basking in the glory of victory were in no doubt yesterday. Lifelong supporter Nita LoSurdo said after 50 years behind the team it could be her only chance to enjoy the spoils of victory.

"Of course there should be a parade, it might be another 30 years before we win another grand final. I might not live to see the next one."

In a spectacular homecoming, players yesterday lapped up the victory in front of thousands of delirious fans.

First they were hailed by more than 2000 people screaming "we want the Tigers" at their Campbelltown ground.

Almost twice as many gathered at Leichhardt Oval to cheer as captain Scott Prince made sure fans knew the significance of his last name by regally bowing to the stands.

Most fans were yet to go to bed after a wild night celebrating. The joy of loyal fans who have stuck by the team in difficult years was palpable.

"All my life I have watched grand finals and tried to get excited for other sides but until it's your team you don't understand the feeling," an ecstatic Jason Lincoln said.

Eduardo Sanchez from Ashfield banged on a cake tin with his Tigers flag.

"Everyone is telling me to shut up but you have got to make some noise," he said. "I have been waiting for this for a very long time," he said.

Dailytelegraph.com.au

dammit stupid poll button!!! i was going to add a poll.

So what do you think? Do you think its fair that the tigers miss out on a ticker tape parade?

[BroncosGirl]
05-10-05, 12:10 AM
They should get one IMO... I know AFL was historical because a sydney team won it, but its the first Tigers premiership too! Sooo eeerr :p

Steelers
05-10-05, 08:28 AM
yeah they should get one. not in sydney but through campbelltown or something like that

Queenslander
05-10-05, 12:13 PM
They should be getting a parade so that they can get in touch with the people of their club.

DeeGan
05-10-05, 01:06 PM
There is in my mind no questions asked, those who don't support the Tiger adopted them as their second team in the finals, give them a ticket tape parade.

The Tigers faithful can finally forget the nightmare of 1988 and 1989 :) This could be part of the cleansing process ;)

DeeGan

League Freak
05-10-05, 03:38 PM
The Sydney City council are a bunch of idiots. Their opinions and their actions dont mean much to anyone.

By the way, the Tigers have been offered a parade by 4 different areas.

Steelers
05-10-05, 05:29 PM
But if the Tigers were to get a parade through the heart of Sydney then why shouldn't other teams. They shouldn't get a parade through Sydney Centre but a parade through their heartland.

Christabella
05-10-05, 05:32 PM
There is in my mind no questions asked, those who don't support the Tiger adopted them as their second team in the finals, give them a ticket tape parade.

The Tigers faithful can finally forget the nightmare of 1988 and 1989 :) This could be part of the cleansing process ;)

DeeGan

Hey not all of the Wests Tigers fans were originally Balmain fans ...
My uncle who is almost 52 and has been following Wests passionately his entire life witnessed his first premiership on Sunday.

Bernster
05-10-05, 10:39 PM
I don't care about Netball Players...I hate the sport and the only people that turn up are housewives and schoolgirls who have plans to marry within three years of completing secondary school (I know a few that have too) and don't even do their homework.

I am not impressed that the Tigers don't get one...And the Swans did.

J-Storm
05-10-05, 11:26 PM
They should get 1 just for being patient in getting a title after this long. Being the 1st joint venture to do so makes it even more reasonable for them to get 1. I would have had no problem had St George Illawarra done the same as being the 1st joint venture should hold some creedence...

Super Cronk
05-10-05, 11:37 PM
They should get 1 just for being patient in getting a title after this long. Being the 1st joint venture to do so makes it even more reasonable for them to get 1. I would have had no problem had St George Illawarra done the same as being the 1st joint venture should hold some creedence...

They shouldnt get it for any other reason besides because they won the comp.

A team that wins 10 GF in a row is as deserved of a parade as a team that has won thier first GF.