PDA

View Full Version : Origin vs Premiership!!

[BroncosGirl]
11-06-06, 05:55 PM
Didnt know whether to post this in RL general or Origin, but here it is.
Just a question to some, would you rather your respective origin team (nsw, qld) win the series, or would you prefer your club side to win a premiership.

I guess that I mean this in respects to your teams players being out during origin period. I know last night I hated the loss against Souths, purely because we had so many players out for Origin. And we have guys like Hodges risking a serious injury just to play in Origin.

So couple of questions: - Ill answer these too

1. Premiership or Origin?
Honestly, I'd prefer a Premiership. Its a seasons worth of hard work payed off.
2. Would you like it if your clubs players risked it just to play Origin, or would you prefer they miss Origin (and perhaps diminish your origin teams chances slightly), and heal properly for your club?
Id prefer them to miss Origin, of course I'd still be gutted if QLD lost, but in the end Id rather them healthy for club level to improve our chances.
3. (my dad asked me these questions this morning)Should there be some sort of change to Origin (in respects to when its played, or wether ORigin players should be available for club matches, or only a certain amount of players can be selected from each team?!
Not too sure about these. As to when its played? Well i like when its played because its something to look forward too, and we have test matches at the end of the year. Perhaps the players should be availbale to play the club matches though. That way they'd be there for their club, and can play Origin as well, I know this brings up teh fact, they'll be "tired" for Origin or whatever, but that comes back to whether Origin is more important then a Premiership!?

Imo, Premierships s****s all over Origin, but thats just my opinion, I do know people who value Origin more, perhaps because they think their teamis no premiership chance anyways, or something like that.

OOps, I forgot to put a poll in this?

Teegy
11-06-06, 06:03 PM
honestly id rather win the SOO.

and i would rather loss my clubs best players to have a good origin.

and if i did cahnge anything then i would make it a bye weekend leading up to origin

[BroncosGirl]
11-06-06, 06:06 PM
and if i did cahnge anything then i would make it a bye weekend leading up to origin

So no club games at all, I think I remember on one of the footy programs something brought that up. I think it may have been Gould, I liked the idea.

Dont get me wrong, i love origin, I guess I just dont likethe fact it can effect my clubs chances of winning a premiership.

Super Cronk
11-06-06, 07:28 PM
Great question Broncosgirl.

Its an easy one for me, Premiership. A premiership is a whole year or in some cases YEARS of hard work, planning, signings juniors, letting players go... its sort of like a family. SOO IMO comes around once a year with 3 games and altho is prolly the pinacle of our game it is a yearly event, Now with that being said SOO is also years of work going to one goal. But i would rather my team over my state.

2. Would you like it if your clubs players risked it just to play Origin, or would you prefer they miss Origin (and perhaps diminish your origin teams chances slightly), and heal properly for your club?

What i want is my teams players to put in 110% every week for their club, i want them to put their body on the line and do whatever possible to win. If they play so good that they get selection for SOO then thats awesome and i would not want to take that away from them...origin is reward for the in form players and i would not like them to be denied that just because, IMO, a Premiership is more important. Also they worked hard to get there and if they didnt put 100% in at origin level then they dont dserve to be there.

(my dad asked me these questions this morning)Should there be some sort of change to Origin (in respects to when its played, or wether ORigin players should be available for club matches, or only a certain amount of players can be selected from each team?!

I like Teegy's answer, That there be an "off weekend" for ALL NRL teams the week before SOO games 1,2 and 3. No points are given to the teams it is just a bye weekend where everyone has a rest. So in short the comp stops for SOO. That way we get a much closer and fair comp with all the key players available for their club.

Kallan
11-06-06, 07:33 PM
Definately Premiership because the season goes a whole lot longer than the origin does. It would be great to see QLD win a origin series but i would much prefer to see Brisbane win a premiership.

If the are good enough to be selected to play origin and a fit enough then they should play origin.

3. (my dad asked me these questions this morning)Should there be some sort of change to Origin (in respects to when its played, or wether ORigin players should be available for club matches, or only a certain amount of players can be selected from each team?!
I like the idea Teegy mentioned, damn Goose Gould i agree with him.

BRONCOS FAN
11-06-06, 07:33 PM
This is a hard question because i love both Brisbane & Qld. Club winning is more long term & state or origin is 3 games. But it's so hard to choose. State of origin has so much energy in it. I can get over Broncos not winning the cup. But i just can't see Qld lose...

[BroncosGirl]
11-06-06, 07:34 PM

What i want is my teams players to put in 110% every week for their club, i want them to put their body on the line and do whatever possible to win. If they play so good that they get selection for SOO then thats awesome and i would not want to take that away from them...origin is reward for the in form players and i would not like them to be denied that just because, IMO, a Premiership is more important. Also they worked hard to get there and if they didnt put 100% in at origin level then they dont dserve to be there.

I agree that it is a reward and im happy for the players that get chosen, and it should no way be taken away from them,however, UNLESS they are risking injury, I mean Hodges there is no way hes 100% fit, and he could end up causing the injury to be worse, hence miss out on ALOT of club games, which is bad for both the club and him imo.

Super Cronk
11-06-06, 07:39 PM
Well it depends on the club doctors and QLD doctors doesnt it?

Inglis could have risked injury but he and the Storm gave the QLD'ers a firm "NO" when asked to fly him up to QLD for tests.

Im sure if it was a serious injury to Hodges that the Broncos doctors wouldnt have let him go.

[BroncosGirl]
11-06-06, 07:50 PM
Well it depends on the club doctors and QLD doctors doesnt it?

Inglis could have risked injury but he and the Storm gave the QLD'ers a firm "NO" when asked to fly him up to QLD for tests.

Im sure if it was a serious injury to Hodges that the Broncos doctors wouldnt have let him go.

Well good on the Storm I think. I applaud the club for actually saying No. It was Hodges who made himself available for selection at first, I just pray that he gets out of it injury free, otherwise Ill be one very unhappy girl :( :p

Dragons
11-06-06, 10:09 PM
']Didnt know whether to post this in RL general or Origin, but here it is.
Just a question to some, would you rather your respective origin team (nsw, qld) win the series, or would you prefer your club side to win a premiership.

I guess that I mean this in respects to your teams players being out during origin period. I know last night I hated the loss against Souths, purely because we had so many players out for Origin. And we have guys like Hodges risking a serious injury just to play in Origin.

So couple of questions: - Ill answer these too

Honestly, I'd prefer a Premiership. Its a seasons worth of hard work payed off.
Id prefer them to miss Origin, of course I'd still be gutted if QLD lost, but in the end Id rather them healthy for club level to improve our chances.
Not too sure about these. As to when its played? Well i like when its played because its something to look forward too, and we have test matches at the end of the year. Perhaps the players should be availbale to play the club matches though. That way they'd be there for their club, and can play Origin as well, I know this brings up teh fact, they'll be "tired" for Origin or whatever, but that comes back to whether Origin is more important then a Premiership!?

Imo, Premierships s****s all over Origin, but thats just my opinion, I do know people who value Origin more, perhaps because they think their teamis no premiership chance anyways, or something like that.

OOps, I forgot to put a poll in this?
They asked Mark Murray the same question on the footy show and he umm'd and arr'g about the two and then said he would like both.

J-Storm
11-06-06, 10:32 PM
An Origin series is only 3 games so easier to win in that regard but a lot more intense situation. A Preimership is more about consistency over a whole season but you can afford to scrape your way into the finals from which point on it becomes a whole new ball game in itself. Therefore I'd take the Origin Series as you can cover the whole Premiership season with an extra loss or two...

I have to agree that I would prefer them to skip Origin. If they can't play for the club through a chance of injury not being healed in time, why should they be eligible for Origin...

3. (my dad asked me these questions this morning)Should there be some sort of change to Origin (in respects to when its played, or wether ORigin players should be available for club matches, or only a certain amount of players can be selected from each team?
Well I'm all for an expanded competition where everyone plays each other once which would leave free w/ends where SOO (and any mid season Tests) can be played w/out teams having to lose star players. Like stated above, that w/end of an Origin game or a Test, just suspend teh competition as the AFL do and give every team 1 extra week off, it wouldn't be that much of a deal...

Great Q's by the way, there are some real good discussions being thown up around here lately

Kallan
12-06-06, 10:43 AM
They asked Mark Murray the same question on the footy show and he umm'd and arr'g about the two and then said he would like both.

I assume you are talking about Graham Murray, i seen it. :chinese:

Titanium_BD1103
12-06-06, 10:55 AM
Great questions here Nikki... very difficult to answer though... ;)

I'd have to say premiership, Origin is something that you do and you really enjoy and you get to have a great moment, but a premiership is something that you work for with your teammates for years at a time and sometimes decades, so when it finally is rewarded, it means the world, much more I think than Origin Series victories.

I'd prefer they do what they think is best. They are passionate and tough and therefore if they want to go and play Origin then do that.... but they need to know 100% that they could do it, personally for me.. I'd go premiership... because it means more and you put more effort and hardwork into it.. not that you don't in Origin.

3. Should there be some sort of change to Origin (in respects to when its played, or whether Origin players should be available for club matches, or only a certain amount of players can be selected from each team?!

I think there should. The Origin either should be played on a weekend so that everyone doesn't have to suffer when Origin is on in terms of club teams... or the Origin players should be able to play for clubs... but then fatigue comes into mind. ATM it is unfair on club with large amounts of SOO players to have to pretty much mark a loss at the start of season around origin as they don't have personell to challenge any team.

Manly Boy
12-06-06, 03:49 PM
I'd rather a brilliant fight-filled origin

I'd risk my players for a great State of Origin, only a great one, no point if they are gonna get flogged.

Nah i think that's abit wrong because qld doesn't have that many players in teams other than brisbane and nth qld. I think that if you play well enough you deserve a apot in the origin team.
Nah i reacon it should all stay how it is now and if your club is good they should be able to have a nice, close game without your origin players...

Steelers
12-06-06, 03:55 PM
I would rather a premiership... being a Steelers/Dragons supporter I have yet to see my team claim the title, and it is one of my lifes ambitions to see the Dragons win the title.

SOO should be played on a Friday/Saturday, and all teams should get the week off. If thios happened, players wouldn't have to risk backing up and injuring themselves.

Eel 33
12-06-06, 04:58 PM
The premiership, 30 odd weeks of effort comes down to one game, and if your team is the best at the end, the victory is that much sweeter to savour.

Chaos
12-06-06, 05:23 PM
7 years ago I would have said State of Origin but since watching the NRL closely the last few years I would definately now say a Premiership.

I don't mind the clubs playing a round while the Origin players sit out because it gives opportunities to young fellas who are trying to get a run in the main game. Aren't the Dragons exposing some new talent!
You don't have to win every game in the season to make the finals
Your club only has to beat half the comp...once you make the top 8, you have a shot at the Premeirship.

I can also feel a shift towards more exciting International games.
Will that some day overtake Origin as the pinnacle of Rugby League?

Townsville Titan
12-06-06, 05:35 PM
State of Origin win for sure!!!

Although most of you validate a good point in raising the issue of preperation and year(s) of hard work, but to me the state of origin seperates most of the supporters into 2 main groups: Those who worship the Blues and those who follow the Maroons.

Its a great social traditional event that draws NRL fans closer. If ones team isnt performing well then they tend to slacken off their interest, but with origin, the teams are a little more even.

...Some may disagree but its just an opinion...

[BroncosGirl]
12-06-06, 05:43 PM
I think with Origin, if I were to every say its better, my arguement would be teh fact its just 2 teams.

If you dont win a premiership, neither did 13 other teams. And theres so many different rivalries in the premiership rounds.
Where as Origin, its one of the other, makes it evenmore special if its your team that does it. Its just the one great big rivalry. I dont know.

Premiership sitll does it for more though because the Broncos are half the qld team anyways, so if they win the Premiership its still a qld victory ;)!

..::Coops::..
12-06-06, 06:32 PM
i would prefer a premiership!! although i love origin, a premiership is harder to win - with origin there is always next year, (i know that's the same with the preiemership, but players always are leaving the club or heaps of injurires can ruin a year at winning the gf)

you work longer to get to the grand final - so it kinda makes it more rewarding in a way when you finalyy make it.

with risking players. ummm,, got nothing angaist players from my club playing orign as thats a reward for there great playing. but i'm in two minds over risking them (e.g hodges). it depends on the player and the current depth of teh QLD team. for example if lockyer was slighly injured but playable and we had no other 5/8th (thurston being injured etc) then yeah i'd risk him, but if it was a player in a position which could easily be covered, i would prefer my team's player be rested.

Hoppy2007Dragons
12-06-06, 07:09 PM
In my life time ive yet to see the Dragons lift the premeirship trophy, although ive seen the tapes and heard all about it from decades ago, i feel it would be much greater to se St George Illawarra win the preimership so i can say i have supproted that team throug thick and thin to this day, so i would prefer a preimership, however i love my origin, so i love to see the blues win as well.

Id risk my players for origin, so the young palyers can get some game time and put pressure on the regualrs to keep their spot which makes even better footy also, good clubs should be able to win or at least compete with injury and without the star players otherwise then they arn't that good of a team if their realying on the work of a couple sensations in their team.

I believe what they should do is keep the origin in the time slot and keep the ordinary week going, but when the teams list for origin are named the teams with the most players in the origin squads should get the bye for the week.

eg for this year, For game one, the Broncos, Cowyboys and Storm would have gotten the bye, basically on team numbers.

Game Two Dragons get the bye, as have more players and didn't get the bye this time.

Game three Eels, Broncos and Cowyboys get the bye as they might haae 4 or 5 players again or something along this line so the clubs with the most commitment at least get cut some slack for one origin at least.

Then again they baiscally do this as this year Broncos, Dragons Cowboys got the bye in the first game.

The knights the second game

and the third game Roosters, Dragons, Storm.

So it seems to work ok as i see it.

Dragons
12-06-06, 09:39 PM
I assume you are talking about Graham Murray, i seen it. :chinese:
Yep I got mix up with Mark from Norths. (Brisbane) Opps :embarasse