PDA

View Full Version : Tigers apologise for bad language

Steelers
04-10-05, 04:34 PM
Rugby league premier Wests Tigers have apologised for the inappropriate language used by some of its players during the post-grand final televised interviews.

Winger Pat Richards, replacement forward Chris Heighington, and prop Anthony Laffranchi used the F-word several times during interviews which were broadcast live on Channel Nine.

The club issued an apology for the players' colourful language during the grand final coverage, which was the most watched program of the year in Sydney and Brisbane.

"Understandably Sunday's win was an emotional time for the players and staff who had put countless hours into making the grand final, and while that is no excuse for the language used during the post match interviews, it is a reflection of the raw emotion experienced on the night," Wests Tigers said in a statement.

Wests Tigers chief executive Stephen Noyce said the club would like to apologise to the families and young viewers who were offended.

"It has been an amazing couple of weeks for the club and the build up and hype was evident in the players' post match interviews," Noyce said.

"I appreciate that some of the players interviewed were overawed by the moment and they sincerely regret using such language during the free to air coverage."

Meanwhile, Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore said the City of Sydney would be happy to host a formal civic reception for Wests Tigers but a decision on a ticker tape parade was a matter for the NSW Government

Source: NRL.com

------------------------------------------------------------------

They put this well. They were overwhelmed with emotion and didn't realise what they were doing.

Super Cronk
04-10-05, 04:39 PM
People are saying they were over whelmed....fair enough i can understand that. BUT the panthers didnt swear like that when they won it nor did the roosters or broncos or bulldogs from what i remember. Are you saying that they werent over whelmed?

Chris heighington was the worst one...he swore 3 times and still continued...he saw the camera and could have siad oh sorry...just like a player did before that. Chris just has a dirty mouth plain and simple.

Now i dont care about the swearing....i swear alot myself so i didnt mind it at all.....but i can understand parents being upset if their young children were watching. Sure some kids use those words but not all do...plus you dont wanna be hearing it from their role models. With all that said tho...it isnt a huge deal im sure the kids were to excited to hear what they said anyway.

Shadow XL
04-10-05, 05:44 PM
I undrstood thr type of emotion they were going through when they were being interviewed, Rabs said sorry for them aswell, i wasn't too fussed about the swearing. The funny bit was the faces matty pulled when they did swear, good bloke.

Steelers
04-10-05, 06:09 PM
I undrstood thr type of emotion they were going through when they were being interviewed, Rabs said sorry for them aswell, i wasn't too fussed about the swearing. The funny bit was the faces matty pulled when they did swear, good bloke.

Me and my dad were cracking up at the swearing and matty. We were like "they can't say that hehe".

[BroncosGirl]
04-10-05, 06:13 PM
Oooh pfft people need to get over it, who cares, it was like what, 6 or 7 times ... you can hear far worse just in everyday life. Give the guys a break, do they think the first thing on their mind was to watch their language, and it wasn't a bad time at night either, it was like 9:30.

Ive heard guys in AFL say it before... I've heard heaps of o ther sports persons say it before. People need to get over it.

Steelers
04-10-05, 06:16 PM
']Oooh pfft people need to get over it, who cares, it was like what, 6 or 7 times ... you can hear far worse just in everyday life. Give the guys a break, do they think the first thing on their mind was to watch their language, and it wasn't a bad time at night either, it was like 9:30.

Ive heard guys in AFL say it before... I've heard heaps of o ther sports persons say it before. People need to get over it.

it is just typical stuck up mums who want their kids to play a sport like golf that complain.

Super Cronk
04-10-05, 06:18 PM
']Oooh pfft people need to get over it, who cares, it was like what, 6 or 7 times ... you can hear far worse just in everyday life. Give the guys a break, do they think the first thing on their mind was to watch their language, and it wasn't a bad time at night either, it was like 9:30.

are you a parent?

[BroncosGirl]
04-10-05, 06:27 PM
I knew this would come up... IM only 17, so my opinion doens't count, because I don't know what its like to have children and how hard it is to teach them etc etc

Well no Im not a parent, and I know its different when you're a parent. And I know this is differnet, But I look after childen that are about 5-10 yrs old .. ALOT, and Im basically their older sister, Ive come to the facts they are exposed to swearing all the time, they're mothers do it, and at the childcare they attend when Im at school and can't look after them, the people there swear, its a sad fact. I had a 5 year old with me that night at the GF, and a 10 year old, now the 5 year old didnt' notice, but the 10 year old said to me "he shouldnt be saying that should he". And I said no.

Parents should set up a good platform from the beginning to teach their childen swearing is bad, so taht something like this doesn't affect them at all. Tigers have apologised... lets move on, and not ruin the moment.

If you are a parent that doens't like this sort of thing, then fine, complain all you like, it doesn't changed what happen, all you can do (if your child has all of a sudden started swearing) is teach them not to and say its bad.

In general NRL players are great role models ...(I said in general because I know there is exceptions) - they are human beings like us, who are entitled to slip ups.

Steelers
04-10-05, 06:30 PM
']I knew this would come up... IM only 17, so my opinion doens't count, because I don't know what its like to have children and how hard it is to teach them etc etc

Well no Im not a parent, and I know its different when you're a parent. And I know this is differnet, But I look after childen that are about 5-10 yrs old .. ALOT, and Im basically their older sister, Ive come to the facts they are exposed to swearing all the time, they're mothers do it, and at the childcare they attend when Im at school and can't look after them, the people there swear, its a sad fact. I had a 5 year old with me that night at the GF, and a 10 year old, now the 5 year old didnt' notice, but the 10 year old said to me "he shouldnt be saying that should he". And I said no.

Parents should set up a good platform from the beginning to teach their childen swearing is bad, so taht something like this doesn't affect them at all. Tigers have apologised... lets move on, and not ruin the moment.

If you are a parent that doens't like this sort of thing, then fine, complain all you like, it doesn't changed what happen, all you can do (if your child has all of a sudden started swearing) is teach them not to and say its bad.

In general NRL players are great role models ...(I said in general because I know there is exceptions) - they are human beings like us, who are entitled to slip ups.

well said. im only 15, but my dad didn't mind my little brother hearing it. my little bro is 8. luckily, a bit of early teachings has put the fact into my bro's head that he aint allowed to swear. and he doesn't (yet :eek: )

Super Cronk
04-10-05, 06:43 PM
']I knew this would come up... IM only 17, so my opinion doens't count, because I don't know what its like to have children and how hard it is to teach them etc etc

woah clam down. I think you have mis-understood what i was getting at.

What im getting at is just because you think its ok for "5-10 yr olds" to know swear words that does NOT mean that EVERY parent in australia wants that.

Im not a parent but like you i have looked after younger kids ....but some parents dont want their kids to hear or say those words . Its easy for you to say "oh well i dont care if they swear" fair enough you do not represent every mother in australia.

And if you read my first post you would know that the swearing issue is no big deal to me...i said that i swear all the time. But when i am around young people i dont swear, or if i know that its possible they could hear it i dont say it, just out of respect for the parents who are teaching their own kids wrong and right.

Just on the role model thingy tho...i know a 7 yr old boy who LOVES billy slater its his role model every day he talks about slater ..huge fan...if slater had come out and swore(im not saying that billy doesnt swear) or came out on TV and did some things us "normal human beings do" then it would be truly upsetting for him...because he looks up to slater and thinks that billy can do no wrong. I think thats awesome for a kid to think that.....a league player has the ability to crush a young kids dreams or make the kid upset...

read my first post agian and you will see where im coming from ;)

ridgey
04-10-05, 06:48 PM
that's just the reality of live t.v guys.does anyone remember the state of origin in 93 when mal was swearing in the huddle,hey ya stick a mic in front of someone at such an emotional time and what do ya expect.

[BroncosGirl]
04-10-05, 06:49 PM
woah clam down. I think you have mis-understood what i was getting at.

What im getting at is just because you think its ok for "5-10 yr olds" to know swear words that does NOT mean that EVERY parent in australia wants that.

Im not a parent but like you i have looked after younger kids ....but some parents dont want their kids to hear or say those words . Its easy for you to say "oh well i dont care if they swear" fair enough you do not represent every mother in australia.

And if you read my first post you would know that the swearing issue is no big deal to me...i said that i swear all the time. But when i am around young people i dont swear, or if i know that its possible they could hear it i dont say it, just out of respect for the parents who are teaching their own kids wrong and right.

Just on the role model thingy tho...i know a 7 yr old boy who LOVES billy slater its his role model every day he talks about slater ..huge fan...if slater had come out and swore(im not saying that billy doesnt swear) or came out on TV and did some things us "normal human beings do" then it would be truly upsetting for him...because he looks up to slater and thinks that billy can do no wrong.

read my first post agian and you will see where im coming from ;)

Its ok I am calm. :p My post wasn't really directed at you directly (?) ... but Im just letting it out, because ALOT of people (not neccessarily you) are mking a big deal.

I didn't say it was ok for 5-10 yr olds to know those words.. when did I say that, I just said i accept they hear it and its up to me and parents to teach them its nto ok to use it.

... Im getting at the point its all up to the Parents. Yes the Tigers are role models to childen, and so it slater to use your example... but they have slip ups, and they dont' do it delibaratly to influence young children, but if they do come out and accidently swear, then it is up to the parents to teach its not ok.
I know it would be upsetting, but sooner or later children will realise their "heroes" are human anyways. Once again though if the child does get upset, this is where the parent can step in ... instead of making a fuss and complaing.

Do you see where Im coming from now ;)

Steelers
04-10-05, 06:55 PM
It is not like hearing their hero swear will scar them for life

Super Cronk
04-10-05, 07:00 PM
It is not like hearing their hero swear will scar them for life

you dont get it mate.

People grow up and get over things....but its about teaching kids whats right and wrong...if they see their role model, the people they look upto saying those words then they will go to school the next day and say those words..and dont say no they wont because ive seen it been done many many times. Its exactly like the kdis that see the benji marshall step they try and act it out. It wont scar them for life but its not the right thing....showing them gruesome pictures wont scar them for life but would you do that?

Steelers
04-10-05, 07:04 PM
you dont get it mate.

People grow up and get over things....but its about teaching kids whats right and wrong...if they see their role model, the people they look upto saying those words then they will go to school the next day and say those words..and dont say no they wont because ive seen it been done many many times. Its exactly like the kdis that see the benji marshall step they try and act it out. It wont scar them for life but its not the right thing....showing them gruesome pictures wont scar them for life but would you do that?

yeah i suppose your right. and no way would i show kids gruesome pics. but they see and hear alot worse on tv than just a couple of swear words these days.

[BroncosGirl]
04-10-05, 07:05 PM
you dont get it mate.

Showing them gruesome pictures is alot different then swearing, swearing is something most people do (unlike walking around and showing pple gruesome pics) .. You can lay a platform for children to not swear ... if they pick it up, you tell them its wrong .... and you teach them not to do it, its something that can be fixed ... We can't expect NRL players to watch their words 24/7, They know they are role models and do the best they can

Super Cronk
04-10-05, 07:08 PM
']Showing them gruesome pictures is alot different then swearing, swearing is something most people do (unlike walking around and showing pple gruesome pics) .. You can lay a platform for children to not swear ... if they pick it up, you tell them its wrong .... and you teach them not to do it, its something that can be fixed ... We can't expect NRL players to watch their words 24/7, They know they are role models and do the best they can

True but the players know how much of an effect that they have on kids there is no denying that. They know fully well that if they swear or do something wrong ie: punch another playing in the head from behind that the kid could pick it up and think its ok. Sure parents can step in and say thats wrong....but it shouldnt get to that point. Its footy not a episode of jackass. The gruesome pics example prolly wasnt right but it was along the same lines.
Lets use swearing as an example..you wouldnt go up to a kid and say "you are a f**** you little piece of s*** you **** and so and so" im not saying thats what the players did....but its still not nice to hear.

[BroncosGirl]
04-10-05, 07:15 PM
Swearing TO a child is alot different then what the players did ... that is not nice being sworn at ... but a player has never done that... they won't do that, thats something they can control ... because its not like after a GF they're going to go up to a little kid and swear at them... they weren't swearing at anyone ... it was used in context to display their emotion.

You can't compare footy to jackass they are at opposite ends of the scale. Footy is no where near like that... Parents and children are well aware its a violent (to an extent) game, and players do get punished if they do something like punch a guy in the head, and the kids know they get punished, so they wouldn't(well shouldn't unless they are already violent) wnat to do it then.

Super Cronk
04-10-05, 07:23 PM
Not all young kids understand the full extent of whats right and whats wrong.

The jackass example was based on the swearing and not the other stuff they do.

You can show your emotion without having to say F*** 5-6 times.

Anyway this conversation is going in circles and i feel we are repeating ourselfes...lol lets just agree to disagree.

Steelers
04-10-05, 07:30 PM
Anyway this conversation is going in circles and i feel we are repeating ourselfes...lol lets just agree to disagree.

sounds good

[BroncosGirl]
04-10-05, 07:32 PM
Not all young kids understand the full extent of whats right and whats wrong.

The jackass example was based on the swearing and not the other stuff they do.

You can show your emotion without having to say F*** 5-6 times.

... One last thing (sorry), you say you can show your emotion with saying f*** 5-6 times, thing is, if you are so caught up in emotion it just slips out, its not always somethign you can think about and stop yourself from doing, thats what I was saying, is that it shows how emotional they are, because in other post match interviews (normal club games), they control their language and don't swear.

:D :D Ok, so agree to disagree...Well I like the sounds of that.

J-Storm
04-10-05, 08:35 PM
that's just the reality of live t.v guys.does anyone remember the state of origin in 93 when mal was swearing in the huddle,hey ya stick a mic in front of someone at such an emotional time and what do ya expect.

Exactly! Well said. If they don't want the problem to occur again (as happened in the Mal incident, which they should have learnt from), either show it on a slight delay or even easier... how about we not put a mic in front of players who we know are going to be emotional and not thinking 101% logically...

It's getting out of control and making a mountain out of a molehill in my opinion. It happened, they apologised, move on...

Super Cronk
04-10-05, 09:18 PM
Exactly! Well said. If they don't want the problem to occur again (as happened in the Mal incident, which they should have learnt from), either show it on a slight delay or even easier... how about we not put a mic in front of players who we know are going to be emotional and not thinking 101% logically...

It's getting out of control and making a mountain out of a molehill in my opinion. It happened, they apologised, move on...

I havent seen anyone make a mountain of it. I dont even know how many people rang up nine and complained...does anyone know? but i havent seen anyone make a big deal out of it. the only people i can that had a problem with it would be some parents...but im sure they were over it by the next morning.

Inferno
05-10-05, 06:10 AM
I think its a bit stupid really, if anyone should be apologising its channel 9. and besides you can see if not hear swearing throughout pretty much every game this year. Usually when ever a player botches a try, or drops a ball or misses a tackle the camera zooms in on them to get their "reaction". Its pretty much the same every time, the player saying %^&*.

Next year why not just rate it M and say possible swearing. Covers them either way

[BroncosGirl]
05-10-05, 08:07 AM
Yep Inferno they should do that, give a warning.

Also super cronk do you watch sunrise, :p because thats where heaps of people complained, thats what I couldt believe.

Queenslander
05-10-05, 11:18 AM
I think people should just get over it, i mean its just a word! It wasnt used in vain or anything inapporiate, the players were just expressing their joy of winning the grand final.

ridgey
05-10-05, 03:00 PM
the people that complained we're probably a bunch of toffee nosed rugby fans that only tune in to 1 game of league a year!

Super Cronk
05-10-05, 03:50 PM
']Yep Inferno they should do that, give a warning.

Also super cronk do you watch sunrise, :p because thats where heaps of people complained, thats what I couldt believe.

sunrise the one with "kochy" and that mel chick? they are union fans and dont really like NRL...so every chance they get at putting league down they do. i dont know how many heaps is but im sure they have forgotten about it.

[BroncosGirl]
05-10-05, 04:05 PM
sunrise the one with "kochy" and that mel chick? they are union fans and dont really like NRL...so every chance they get at putting league down they do. i dont know how many heaps is but im sure they have forgotten about it.
Yep tahts it, it doesn't matter what fans they are though, Im just saying thats the program lost of people rung up and emailed, and they were league fans....

They're were probably cowboys fans :p

Steelers
05-10-05, 04:52 PM
the sunrise people are afl fans.

Coaster
05-10-05, 05:24 PM
Nine stuffed up, there was no reason why it couldnt be delayed 2-3 secs, then those colourfull words could have been removed.

They were doing a lap of honour, there was no reason it had to be telecast live.

Super Cronk
05-10-05, 06:26 PM
the sunrise people are afl fans.

kochy is the biggest union fan you will ever meet. if you dont belive me then email them and ask them yourself. One of the girls 'nat' is from perth? and she loves AFL....